Author Topic: Classifieds and the 60 post rule....  (Read 29983 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Classifieds and the 60 post rule....
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 09:07:34 »
I wanted to address you spam in that old thread, but rowdy suggested that it would be taken here so I didn't want to drag it on :p

The problem with a hidden forum is that some users who are sub-60 and brand new wouldn't be able to see items for sale, and thus wouldn't be able to buy those items via PM

Exactly, that was the point.  ::)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 09:07:48 »
I respect the people who spam to 60 in order to post in classifieds, better than people who spam for no ****ing reason other than to do it...

:-*   
More

Yes exactly because I have never done anything for anyone, been helpful in anyway or tried to make this place better, in fact I secretly hate keyboards and when it gets cold at night I burn vintage keyboards in a barrel to stay warm, throwing in some novelty keys when the flames start to die down to keep the fires burning.

EDIT: darn, double post  ::)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 11:16:45 »
Once you start imposing too many restrictions, you will put people off from joining at all.

What about this captcha before every post for a while?  I think this must have come in way after I joined, but it has frustrated quite a few people.

Throw one post per day (or whatever) on top, plus extra restrictions to classifieds, and we might miss out on some good people joining up and staying around.

I remember the captcha and the "name a popular conectivity thing" I tried putting PS2 but every time it was USB  >:D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 13:02:57 »

Does that kinda prove the point? ;) :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 13:10:42 »

Does that kinda prove the point? ;) :))

I'm an overachiever, what can I say ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 13:11:17 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 13:25:26 »
Don't derail this thread guys, I think it's a good conversation to have.

I don't have a sense for whether this is an actual problem, or merely something that _could_ be a problem.  Like, how many 60-posters are there that sell something and then leave?  And how many of the people that bought from them got burned?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 14:14:32 »
Don't derail this thread guys, I think it's a good conversation to have.

I don't have a sense for whether this is an actual problem, or merely something that _could_ be a problem.  Like, how many 60-posters are there that sell something and then leave?  And how many of the people that bought from them got burned?

I personally have not heard of anyone getting burned by new 60 posters but it does seem like there are more and more racing to the magic number to sell things. Perhaps that is an indicator that the 60 post rule is not really serving its intended purpose?

It does seem like many people only come here for the classifieds it would be nice if we could attempt to assimilate them first :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 14:59:27 »
I think I mentioned getting burned first, but I can't recall an instance of it actually happening.  It is a possibility though.  At least if someone sticks around for a while and posts something meaningful, other members will get to know that person at least a little bit.

So saying, there have been some GBs where the originator has taken the money and run.  And that was from fairly established members, so one rule will not fit all.

At least on online auction sites there is a process to follow for sales gone bad, and the feedback to serve as an indication of the person's (seller's and buyer's) reputation.

On another forum I am a member of, there is a dedicated section with one post for each member, and when someone trades with that person they post in that thread describing how the sale/purchase went.  Kinda like a Heatware but localised to that forum.  Then if you want to buy something from someone, you can browse that thread to see how their previous trades went.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 15:05:36 »
I think there should definitely be "private" sections of the forum, to keep out people who can't even be troubled to register an account. 4Grabs comes to mind...

And I agree with something like a 30-day, 30-post rule for classifieds. New members should try to introduce themselves, build some relationships, etc., before we go trusting them with our money/goods.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 15:49:32 »
On another forum I am a member of, there is a dedicated section with one post for each member, and when someone trades with that person they post in that thread describing how the sale/purchase went.  Kinda like a Heatware but localised to that forum.  Then if you want to buy something from someone, you can browse that thread to see how their previous trades went.

We used to do that here, a couple of years ago.  Then there was an integrated transaction score/history feature (which I think worked reallyw ell), but we lost it when we transitioned to SMF post-rootworm.

Since nobody seems to be using heatware very much, I would be up for trying the user review subforum again.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 15:55:40 »

We used to do that here, a couple of years ago.  Then there was an integrated transaction score/history feature (which I think worked reallyw ell), but we lost it when we transitioned to SMF post-rootworm.

Since nobody seems to be using heatware very much, I would be up for trying the user review subforum again.

+1

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:00:34 »

^^ I suppose if the trolling could be kept to a minimum that would be a great idea. Something tells me flame suits might be required for some people.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:07:53 »
In other forums (fora?) I visit, if you are not buying or selling then stay out of the thread!

Saying GLWS is all very nice for community spirit, but a page where half the posts are just "they look nice" or "GLWS" kinda distracts from the sale.  The occasional "I bought from him before, he is great" would be alleviated by some sort of reputation system.

This would especially be the case for auctions, where you have to wade through dozens of off-topic posts to find the highest bid for something.  Sometimes I feel sorry for those holding auctions, having to scroll through all the crap just to find who bid on something.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 18:55:38 »
Newbie chiming in!

I'm trying not to spam to get to my 60 posts, but I also feel like 60 posts is high for someone new to the keyboard scene who wants to make meaningful posts.

Like if I already had a crazy amount of keyboard stuff I could imagine getting there sooner, but, alas, I do not have a ton of keyboard information or pictures that I want to share!

That and when I have a question, I use the search to find the answer rather than making a post about it.

In-fact, the only reason I did sign up was to use the advanced search feature. Once I found out I might be able to sell a keycap set/keyboard or buy a cool keycap set in the classifieds, I started working my way to 60 posts.

Even so, I was able to buy a set of DDR caps off of the classifieds with too-few posts ($6... lol).
I notice that the mechmarket reddit doesn't have any kind of rep limit, and I haven't heard of anyone scamming on there. Plus to make an account here is already more difficult.

Anyways, I guess my 2 cents is that 60 posts seems kinda high. I do like the idea of someone being an active member for some period of time (3 months seems reasonable)...
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 18:58:15 »
Newbie chiming in!

I'm trying not to spam to get to my 60 posts, but I also feel like 60 posts is high for someone new to the keyboard scene who wants to make meaningful posts.

Like if I already had a crazy amount of keyboard stuff I could imagine getting there sooner, but, alas, I do not have a ton of keyboard information or pictures that I want to share!

That and when I have a question, I use the search to find the answer rather than making a post about it.

In-fact, the only reason I did sign up was to use the advanced search feature. Once I found out I might be able to sell a keycap set/keyboard or buy a cool keycap set in the classifieds, I started working my way to 60 posts.

Even so, I was able to buy a set of DDR caps off of the classifieds with too-few posts ($6... lol).
I notice that the mechmarket reddit doesn't have any kind of rep limit, and I haven't heard of anyone scamming on there. Plus to make an account here is already more difficult.

Anyways, I guess my 2 cents is that 60 posts seems kinda high. I do like the idea of someone being an active member for some period of time (3 months seems reasonable)...

This is NOT reddit.

And you can always search this forum using google.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:02:24 »
I'm still a firm supporter of either 30 posts+1 month or 60 posts, with the mods giving extreme warnings to those obviously spamming their way to 60.

60 posts is fine as it is, prevents a lot of people who just come here to get a keyboard and leave.

30 posts+1 month is a better option.

But now I feel 60 posts+1 month is the best option because 1. it prevents spam from people doing 60 in a day
2. the 60 post thing hasn't severely affected people yet
3. The 1 month timeframe allows people to learn more about the forums and flourish their lives after 60

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:06:09 »
I think there should definitely be "private" sections of the forum, to keep out people who can't even be troubled to register an account. 4Grabs comes to mind...

And I agree with something like a 30-day, 30-post rule for classifieds. New members should try to introduce themselves, build some relationships, etc., before we go trusting them with our money/goods.

what about an approval process to be allowed to use the Classifieds. Maybe a Peer review sort of thing. The majority decides? This system has flaws as well but would promote building relationships with others on the forums.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:11:13 »

what about an approval process to be allowed to use the Classifieds. Maybe a Peer review sort of thing. The majority decides? This system has flaws as well but would promote building relationships with others on the forums.

I feel like 4 people would vote with thought an the few rest will just pick some random option.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:13:30 »
I'm still a firm supporter of either 30 posts+1 month or 60 posts, with the mods giving extreme warnings to those obviously spamming their way to 60.

60 posts is fine as it is, prevents a lot of people who just come here to get a keyboard and leave.

But now I feel 60 posts+1 month is the best option because 1. it prevents spam from people doing 60 in a day
3. The 1 month timeframe allows people to learn more about the forums and flourish their lives after 60

Whats wrong with people coming and buying a board and leaving?
Its more likely for those that buy customs to stick around, coz its a lot of money to blow for kicks. also where do you think they'd sell it should they not want it anymore?
...back to GH...

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:14:53 »

Whats wrong with people coming and buying a board and leaving?
Its more likely for those that buy customs to stick around, coz its a lot of money to blow for kicks. also where do you think they'd sell it should they not want it anymore?
...back to GH...

They just came in to use our classifieds, not participate in the community.
the whole reason why this thread is here is to discourage spamming to get to 60 to sell stuff and then leave

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:17:07 »
how about increasing the post count requirement to 1000 for posting in the classifieds so that my friend Spamy has some competition  ;D
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:22:02 »
the amount of new zero post accounts just to buy stuff is becoming quite high.

since GHers seem to buy anything, i'll sell 60 of my post for 10 dollars. get them while they're available!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:24:36 »
Yea, why are less than 60 post people allowed to comment in classifieds, but not make their own post?
They can just look around the classifieds and abuse existing threads right now.

So at the very least, we should make classifieds hidden until a new person hits whatever requirement we ultimately decide

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:31:26 »
how about increasing the post count requirement to 6000 for posting in the classifieds so that my friend Spamy has some competition  ;D

FTFY :P

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:34:18 »
how about increasing the post count requirement to 6000 for posting in the classifieds so that my friend Spamy has some competition  ;D

Two days and its over, there will be no competition to get to 6000

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:37:40 »

you should start posting for me to get my post count up off one per day
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:54:00 »
how about increasing the post count requirement to 1000 for posting in the classifieds so that my friend Spamy has some competition  ;D

Dang.  I'll need another 9 months before I can even sell anything!

Yea, why are less than 60 post people allowed to comment in classifieds, but not make their own post?

So at the very least, we should make classifieds hidden until a new person hits whatever requirement we ultimately decide

I'll throw in my opinion at this point.  When I first joined GH, I bought something from someone in the classifieds when I had only 5 or 10 posts.  I actually only joined GH mainly to participate in a group buy, and bought some keycaps to go along with it from a user in the classifieds.  I didn't just bail, but instead became incredibly invested in the community and this hobby.  Maybe I'm an exception, but I doubt it.  Most people in this hobby enjoy showing their gear off and get a kick out of seeing everyone else's stuff.  People rarely buy a set of keycaps for $80+ and just bail without becoming invested in the community.

Like I said, maybe I'm an exception.  But I'm glad this rule didn't exist when I joined.  I agree that new users shouldn't be able to create their own posts, but what's the harm in letting them buy stuff that others are selling?  Maybe they'll get some cool stuff and stick around.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:57:39 »

you should start posting for me to get my post count up off one per day

$0.50/post whether it counts or not!

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:59:20 »

Dang.  I'll need another 9 months before I can even sell anything!

I'll throw in my opinion at this point.  When I first joined GH, I bought something from someone in the classifieds when I had only 5 or 10 posts.  I actually only joined GH mainly to participate in a group buy, and bought some keycaps to go along with it from a user in the classifieds.  I didn't just bail, but instead became incredibly invested in the community and this hobby.  Maybe I'm an exception, but I doubt it.  Most people in this hobby enjoy showing their gear off and get a kick out of seeing everyone else's stuff.  People rarely buy a set of keycaps for $80+ and just bail without becoming invested in the community.

Like I said, maybe I'm an exception.  But I'm glad this rule didn't exist when I joined.  I agree that new users shouldn't be able to create their own posts, but what's the harm in letting them buy stuff that others are selling?  Maybe they'll get some cool stuff and stick around.

I guess we should let them stay. But the problem is I see some people lurk, see something they want to buy, make an acount, buy what they want, then leave

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:01:00 »
The bigger issue is the zero posters who join to shill bid in auctions.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:02:53 »

Mods should take care of that. If a user sees someone with really little posts doing something that looks a lot like shill bidding, then they should be at least muted.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:08:29 »

Mods should take care of that. If a user sees someone with really little posts doing something that looks a lot like shill bidding, then they should be at least muted.

All I know is as recent auction jumped quite a but from a brand new registered 0 poster in the last few minutes. Pretty sure that user hasn't been back either.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:43:01 »

Two days and its over, there will be no competition to get to 6000

6000?

Pffft newbies :))

Anyway, the classifieds is supposed to be a service to members of the GH community.  Someone who just joins, sells and departs is not really contributing to the community.

Similarly someone who joins, spams to 60, then buys or sells and then departs, the same.

If someone had to join, had to reach 60 posts, and had to do this over the period of, say, a month, would then more or less be a part of the community.

There are other online auction sites out there where you could probably get a higher price for some of the items that pass through here, but again the lower prices (for certain items, before anyone says anything) is as a courtesy and benefit to the community.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:47:35 »
Anyway, the classifieds is supposed to be a service to members of the GH community.  Someone who just joins, sells and departs is not really contributing to the community.

Similarly someone who joins, spams to 60, then buys or sells and then departs, the same.

If someone had to join, had to reach 60 posts, and had to do this over the period of, say, a month, would then more or less be a part of the community.

This is how I think about it. People seem to be think that the only forum of worth here is the classifieds and they couldn't be further from the truth. There is so much interesting stuff going on in Interest Checks, GB's and Making Stuff Together just to name a few. If people aren't willing to contribute to the rest of the community then why should they be allowed to participate in the classifieds?
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:56:54 »
After reading much of this thread I find the same argument several times: that adding more restrictions will make people not want to join GH or will make people want to leave.

Can someone explain to me why this is a problem? If someone actually wants to be a decent, contributing member of this community they will put up with the added restrictions, for the sole purpose of contributing. And if they feel like it's not worth the effort, then they probably didn't have much to contribute in the first place...

Classifieds should be restricted a bit further IMO. 60 posts required to even POST in the classifieds, and 100 posts to start a thread.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:05:26 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:00:00 »
Classifieds should be restricted a bit further IMO. 60 posts required to even POST in the classifieds, and 100 posts to start a thread.

Has this changed recently?  You used to need 60 posts to create a new thread, but could reply to an existing thread even if your post count was 0.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:01:53 »
Just saw someone with 0 posts bidding in a GH auction just yesterday.  So no, hasn't changed. But again, it should be IMO...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline stancato9

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:03:28 »
After reading much of this thread I find the same argument several times: that adding more restrictions will make people not want to join GH or will make people want to leave.

Can someone explain to me why this is a problem? If someone actually wants to be a decent, contributing member of this community they will put up with the added restrictions, for the sole purpose of contributing. And if they feel like it's not worth the effort, then they probably didn't have much to contribute in the first place...

I like this idea. Like a few people said before, people can post in the classifieds without having 60 posts. Buying is possible, and so is selling by PMing people who are looking for an item they have.

But on the other hand, someone before touched on the fact that it may be hard for some people to even post meaningful comments when they are new to the world of mechanical keyboards. I feel for these people because even I felt as if I had nothing useful, or important to contribute to this community when I first joined. It is a little intimidating and some people are afraid of getting shot down if their posts aren't up to unwritten standards.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:08:02 »
But on the other hand, someone before touched on the fact that it may be hard for some people to even post meaningful comments when they are new to the world of mechanical keyboards. I feel for these people because even I felt as if I had nothing useful, or important to contribute to this community when I first joined. It is a little intimidating and some people are afraid of getting shot down if their posts aren't up to unwritten standards.

It's really not that hard. Post photos of your keyboard in the media subforum, make suggestions in IC threads, welcome other users in the new users subforum. It will be a slow start (it was for  me) but once you start building a bit of knowledge from reading other posts you'll soon start replying to queries from new users yourself. I've only been a member since March and I have a ton of posts.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:10:35 »

I like this idea. Like a few people said before, people can post in the classifieds without having 60 posts. Buying is possible, and so is selling by PMing people who are looking for an item they have.

You're a perfect example really, only been a member for 3 months and you've got over 200 posts.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:11:15 »

^^ What I was saying is I'm not sure if the 'people in charge' will make any changes they think might keep traffic away, but I could be wrong.

I think it's a great idea that we only have people here who actually want to be here, and as was mentioned above there are many other benefits other than just buying and selling from being here. There are tons of members who only come here to buy and sell, they never post, they may lurk however I don't know but many of them I believe were more active in the past because they usually have plenty of posts.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:12:57 »

You're a perfect example really, only been a member for 3 months and you've got over 200 posts.

Yeah, but even now I still question the content of my posts.  :)) I'm a pretty introverted guy so that's probably why.  :blank:
Poker 2 - MX Red

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:20:11 »

^^ What I was saying is I'm not sure if the 'people in charge' will make any changes they think might keep traffic away, but I could be wrong.

But I don't see how this could possibly be a major issue.  If that is the only thing the "people in charge" are worried about then they're obviously part of the problem (sorry admins).

Seriously though, if that's the case, and high traffic volume is the real goal of this forum, then this community will continue to be over-run by large numbers of low-posters who are here just to obtain goodies; all while contributing nothing but butthurt and debate among the true, devoted members of the community.

I am seriously hoping that this isn't the case and that the admins are willing to make changes that will benefit this community.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:22:51 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:31:45 »

But I don't see how this could possibly be a major issue.  If that is the only thing the "people in charge" are worried about then they're obviously part of the problem (sorry admins).

Seriously though, if that's the case, and high traffic volume is the real goal of this forum, then this community will continue to be over-run by large numbers of low-posters who are here just to obtain goodies; all while contributing nothing but butthurt and debate among the true, devoted members of the community.

I am seriously hoping that this isn't the case and that the admins are willing to make changes that will benefit this community.

No one has said they are I just assumed they want traffic and it seems like lately most of our traffic is because of the classifieds.

Maybe hashbaz can enlighten us on that aspect of things.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 21:42:38 »
It'd be nice to know. With all the debates recently, it's quite obvious something has to be done. The big question is: what?

Paging hashbaz! (or any admin for that matter)
tp thread is tp thread

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 23:29:47 »
The priority of iMav and the rest of the staff is to have a cool place to collaborate on projects and discuss keyboards.  I don't see numbers regularly (one of the other admins might know more) but my impression is that traffic is way up.  That's a good thing but it's not our focus.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:29:43 »
I haven't seen any advertising on the site, so I guess that more traffic just means a bigger bill at the end of the month.

And to clarify, by advertising I mean like Google adverts.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:13:14 »
The priority of iMav and the rest of the staff is to have a cool place to collaborate on projects and discuss keyboards.  I don't see numbers regularly (one of the other admins might know more) but my impression is that traffic is way up.  That's a good thing but it's not our focus.

Well obviously we are getting a huge influx from reddit, where people here about the circus and have to come see if the bearded lady is hot or not, whether that is a good or bad thing remains unseen.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:18:27 »

Well obviously we are getting a huge influx from reddit, where people here about the circus and have to come see if the bearded lady is hot or not, whether that is a good or bad thing remains unseen.

So Ripster is (still) part of the problem? Actually makes a lot of sense.

Also, does DT have similar issues? Or have they been isolated to GH?
tp thread is tp thread