Author Topic: 2 IBM Model M Mini NIB - One unopened  (Read 21594 times)

Offline lowpoly

2 IBM Model M Mini NIB - One unopened
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 29 April 2009, 11:14:50 »
It was an "upgrade" suggestion.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline CrapTypist

• http://www.georgecochrane
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 29 April 2009, 20:07:47 »
Jeez, the prices on these NIB Minis is making me feel far less bad for paying $100 for a well-cleaned Mini from Brian O'Niell today.

I've stopped caring for non-tenkeyless boards, but I love my old M dearly- with this thing and the Topre, I pretty much have my bases covered, I think.  My full-size M, Dell AT102 and Unicomp are being bought by other writers in my department whom I've infected with  nice keyboard syndrome :)

Offline georgew

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:08:05 »
Quote from: ripster;84256

And I don't know about the pumping - an unopened box is probably getting the collectors in Japan all "waratchau" (new word my son taught me).

- Ripster

ripster,
Looks like you was correct.  Check out this site they are the ones that won the unopened box keyboard.  Interesting way to sell to Japan without the shipping problems.  What does waratchau mean?
http://us-buyer.com/english.html

georgew

Offline georgew

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 16:21:29 »
I was testing the used mini keyboard to put it on ebay and discovered something interesting.  When I connected it the keyboard came up in the num mode.  Does it remember what it was last set at? Also when using Wordpad and Excel when the numeric keypad is activated it shows NUM in the lower right corner.This is pretty neat and I am beginning to love this keyboard, wish I could afford it.  For someone looking for a really clean used one this fits the bill.  I really don't think my friend used it much at all.
georgew

Offline bigpook

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 18:09:28 »
Quote from: ripster;88376
Yours sounds defective, George.

I'll buy it off you real cheap.

Seriously, you should keep it.  I'm sure your friend would have wanted you to have it instead of it going to some stranger in Japan.  These IBMs were meant to be used, not sitting in a box somewhere.

- Ripster

I have one that has been sitting a box for 21 years : )
Its still there : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 18:17:09 »
neener, neener, neener.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 18:22:08 »
Sorry, that was pretty silly of me. But George says he can't afford to keep it, hence the sale.
If it was me, then sure, I would find a way to hold on to it. But then again it is a buyer in Japan, right? There might be a large sum of money involved here, so its a tough call.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 20:34:28 »
Quote from: ripster;88396
Pook, re-read his original message:

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=87162&postcount=29

If anyone should get this one it's George.  I'm sure the widow would understand.

Don't make the "Big Guy" push that smite key!

- Ripster

?

He says here that he cannot afford one:

I was testing the used mini keyboard to put it on ebay and discovered something interesting. When I connected it the keyboard came up in the num mode. Does it remember what it was last set at? Also when using Wordpad and Excel when the numeric keypad is activated it shows NUM in the lower right corner.This is pretty neat and I am beginning to love this keyboard, wish I could afford it. For someone looking for a really clean used one this fits the bill. I really don't think my friend used it much at all.
georgew

I don't know the widows position; maybe she needs the money?
He had four and sold two and got close to 480 for them. He's got two more to sell. Thats close to a grand for four keyboards. Not bad.

And don't be smiting me either : )

Offline bigpook

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 21:14:15 »
Well, he is controlling the availability, so to speak. So yeah, if anyone gets first dibs, it would be him.

As for the smiting, I will take my chances with you, if its the "Big Guy" doing the smiting I am pretty much hosed.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 21:26:20 »
The BIOS will sometimes set Num Lock by default.  On both of my Socket AM2 boards, it will (and for some reason, leaves the light on with 1391401s even with the power off), unless you turn it off (there's a setup option for it).  They may assume "Num lock on is a fair default for a standard 101/104" but not realize there's a Mini plugged in.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline georgew

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 23:23:53 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;88410
The BIOS will sometimes set Num Lock by default.  On both of my Socket AM2 boards, it will (and for some reason, leaves the light on with 1391401s even with the power off), unless you turn it off (there's a setup option for it).  They may assume "Num lock on is a fair default for a standard 101/104" but not realize there's a Mini plugged in.

You must be correct as I set it for num lock off and powered down and back up and it came up set for num lock on.  I will have to look in the BIOS for this.
georgew

Offline georgew

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 23:52:27 »
P.S.  Read his 100% feedback - some of the comments are extraordinary.[/QUOTE]
 ripster,
Thank you for pointing that out, I try to be honest with buyers.  If there is a problem I do take care of it.  Probably won't do that with the keyboard in the sealed box though, but I do point that out in the listing.  People think the sellers are all crooks but they are not.  There are some shady buyers also.  One comes to mind from a few years ago.  I sent a new in the box Lionel train car.  The buyer claimed it was junk so he sent it back and I refunded all of his money.  I can guarantee you the car he sent back was not the one I sent him.  He upgraded his worn car for a new one on my dime.
georgew

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 06:54:32 »
Quote from: georgew;87331
There is another number on the bottom E57888

That's the part number for the keyboard of an IBM RT PC, as is noted on this page:

http://www.damage.fi/slas/rt/rtpics.html

EDIT: Note that the search which led me to that page - and this thread - was the result of a message from dw_junon, alerting me to some important historical facts about that style of keyboard. I see also that the RT PC has been already noted in this thread.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2009, 07:02:44 by quadibloc »