Author Topic: PSA: STOP SPAMMING  (Read 374606 times)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
Re: PSA: STOP SPAMMING
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:40:16 »
So like half of every post your something thread is just filled with "respectable" members posting something like wow love your X, those are utter crap post personally most of the "post your X" threads should not give or count towards post count (pretty much the entire media subforum) that's just me though as I find people saying things like that's my dream key/board to be the most annoying thing in the world

I'm a salty person today sorry
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:41:52 »
More
I for one, have been entertained by the start of The Eternal Brotember.

This is the best way I've heard it put. More than once this past week or so, I've thought about the "eternal September" analogy related to what's been going on here at GH.

For the uninitiated

Basically, this is what has been happening here post-R00TW0RM*. R00TW0RM can be considered Geekhack's September 1993, and there exist both pre-R00TW0RM and post-R00TW0RM members of the forum.

* I use R00TW0RM as the metric, because it is a turning point in the life of the forum. The actual events which precipitated the influx of new users to Geekhack were twofold:
  • _______'s mental breakdown (as evidenced by the degeneration of his post content, which was later remover per his request) and subsequent permaban from the forum, followed by his ban from Deskthority and move to reddit, where he aroused the curiosity of many reddit users who were unfamiliar with Geekhack, and who wondered why he harbored such an obsession with our forum
  • The rebuilding and restructuring of the forum, with a bias toward increased membership numbers.

Despite his deserved exile, such person had some ups though, I still remembered that one time when he drilled holes, hammered, saw, and eventually cooked a CC just to see how it would fared against ducky and filco caps.

^ Member since May 2012, 46 posts, careful man, slow down with the spamming!

Offline Delirious

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:45:45 »
More
I for one, have been entertained by the start of The Eternal Brotember.

This is the best way I've heard it put. More than once this past week or so, I've thought about the "eternal September" analogy related to what's been going on here at GH.

For the uninitiated

Basically, this is what has been happening here post-R00TW0RM*. R00TW0RM can be considered Geekhack's September 1993, and there exist both pre-R00TW0RM and post-R00TW0RM members of the forum.

* I use R00TW0RM as the metric, because it is a turning point in the life of the forum. The actual events which precipitated the influx of new users to Geekhack were twofold:
  • _______'s mental breakdown (as evidenced by the degeneration of his post content, which was later remover per his request) and subsequent permaban from the forum, followed by his ban from Deskthority and move to reddit, where he aroused the curiosity of many reddit users who were unfamiliar with Geekhack, and who wondered why he harbored such an obsession with our forum
  • The rebuilding and restructuring of the forum, with a bias toward increased membership numbers.

Despite his deserved exile, such person had some ups though, I still remembered that one time when he drilled holes, hammered, saw, and eventually cooked a CC just to see how it would fared against ducky and filco caps.

^ Member since May 2012, 46 posts, careful man, slow down with the spamming!

IKR, had to bring my post count up to 0.04 per day

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:50:44 »
So like half of every post your something thread is just filled with "respectable" members posting something like wow love your X, those are utter crap post personally most of the "post your X" threads should not give or count towards post count (pretty much the entire media subforum) that's just me though as I find people saying things like that's my dream key/board to be the most annoying thing in the world

Go ahead and add every "X Therapy" thread. We should just move all these into Off Topic and call it a day.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:55:44 »

Go ahead and add every "X Therapy" thread. We should just move all these into Off Topic and call it a day.
This one gets it

But serious maybe not into off topic as it would be **** posts then but just make the post not count if that's possible
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:00:37 »
I agree the spamming is annoying. Report it. Mute it. Move on.

On the other hand, I've been encouraged to see quite a few (new?) members with low post counts posting thoughtful insight and questions. So maybe there is some silver lining in all this.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline engicoder

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:02:14 »
Proposal: Make all sub-forums for the next month have no count towards post count. Then sit back and watch the mayhem.

Go one better...remove post count entirely. It really doesn't matter. Instead of "need x number of posts to do y" make it "member for x months to do y" Most of the idiots have no patience..they want it now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:04:35 by engicoder »

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:40:56 »
Proposal: Make all sub-forums for the next month have no count towards post count. Then sit back and watch the mayhem.

Go one better...remove post count entirely. It really doesn't matter. Instead of "need x number of posts to do y" make it "member for x months to do y" Most of the idiots have no patience..they want it now.

Right, spamming is the symptom, the cause is the post count requirement. What's that expression?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:47:48 »

Right, spamming is the symptom, the cause is the post count requirement. What's that expression?

You can kill two birds with one horse?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:49:06 »

Or, the cure is worst than the illness?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:20:25 »
Hopefully this will stop the brombardment of spam posts.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:25:05 »
I've been seeing posts such as:

Hey look a random post saying nothing here.
and right after that post
Now just have to do that (see above) 25 more times.

Stuff like this is blatantly spam and contributes nothing. Hell, most OG's here would prefer to see a gif over stuff like that. At least ****post smartly and put some thought and effort into it...
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline pyrolovesmoney

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:28:46 »
Really hope I don't get reported. I am power browsing on topics I really care about and hope to get replies to. but to some it may look like spam.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:30:05 »
Really hope I don't get reported. I am power browsing on topics I really care about and hope to get replies to. but to some it may look like spam.

Your posting about BS caps in the keycon subforum makes no sense.

I assume your goal is 50 posts before the bro sale is over. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:45:12 by SpAmRaY »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:41:49 »

Don't kick a fresh turd on a hot day?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:46:03 »
:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:

:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline pyrolovesmoney

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:53:53 »
Yeah, well, this is what happens when you encourage people to host their profit ventures on your community platform.

I have no ill-will towards Bro Caps but  linking a business venture to forum activity all but guarantees the signal-to-noise ratio goes way out of wack.

I thought the same thing, but you guys have some rather interesting stuff compared to reddit. I actually think I will be more active here. The forum layout is confusing as **** to me, but I can get used to it.

Offline pyrolovesmoney

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:56:26 »

This is targeted at the people who are trying to post 50 posts in a matter of hours to get into the bro caps sale.
[/quote]
It started like that for me, just trying to get to 50, but now I actually am interested in some stuff here. I still hope to get to 50 but IDK if I can provide enough insight before time runs out. Trying not to ****post.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:57:16 »

Trying not to ****post.

Well you aren't trying very hard.

Offline pyrolovesmoney

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:58:37 »
Yeah, well, this is what happens when you encourage people to host their profit ventures on your community platform.

I have no ill-will towards Bro Caps but  linking a business venture to forum activity all but guarantees the signal-to-noise ratio goes way out of wack.

I agree.  This wasn't a joint decision between geekhack and Bro, though, in case there's any confusion there.

Is this something you stand behind though? Ultimately, you can't dictate that bro have a post limit but have you discussed the ramifications of this with him? I am glad that GH exists thoughm /r/mk can get a little slow.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:05:50 »

I agree.  This wasn't a joint decision between geekhack and Bro, though, in case there's any confusion there.

Is this something you stand behind though? Ultimately, you can't dictate that bro have a post limit but have you discussed the ramifications of this with him? I am glad that GH exists thoughm /r/mk can get a little slow.

We welcome your input. There will always be more artisan buys. Better to have insightful posts now, gain respect, and get caps later than to get caps now with crap posts and then people have no respect for you.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:17:38 »

Even if noise increases a bit it doesn't mean there's no new content being generated =P

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:19:09 »
Even if noise increases a bit it doesn't mean there's no new content being generated =P

I think this is about.com's mission statement.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:33:27 »
Unintended consequences are the best consequences.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:34:42 »
Unintended consequences are the best consequences.
That's where a lot of us came from. ;)

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:38:00 »
wow am i allowed to keep ****posting in ot???
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:58:01 »
Or nah.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 15:41:32 »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline shoostep

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 16:31:54 »

Don't kick a fresh turd on a hot day?

Were you looking for...
Treat the problem not the symptom?

Anyways, while we are tossing around fun expressions, id like to add
Don't piss in the wind

I've seen some of the spam threads and they are not very interesting to read through, but at least new people are posting and that's not horrible.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 16:34:42 »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 16:50:59 »

That's unfortunate. I feel like if you want to limit your market there are probably better ways to approach it, this was inevitably going to be an issue with a post limit. Talking to the mods would have been nice too.  :D
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:30:44 »

Yeah, this is a much better way to handle it, imo. At this rate GH is actually far more in the hole than reddit on the matter. Or at least say "New accounts within the month are not able to enter this sale" which would at least have saved us some of the clutter. Plus, teaching patience in a hobby that requires massive amounts of patience would make sense.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:32:19 »
I think someone actually froze the post counts. I've been watching one member post in several topics, and he hasn't moved off of 49.

Edit: Never mind, I just went up by one.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:11:27 »
I think someone actually froze the post counts. I've been watching one member post in several topics, and he hasn't moved off of 49.

Hmm

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:12:26 »

Hmm

Hmm??? Were they actually frozen?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:13:50 »

Hmm

Huh

Offline KippHuntress

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:17:52 »
What does spam mean?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:18:33 »

Hmm

I've noticed my past 4 or 5 posts have not changed my overall count, I assumed it was frozen to stop all the spamming.

Edit: Including this one as well.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:33:55 »

Hmm

Huh
This makes my day.  :p
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:41:51 »

Hmm

Huh

Gonna be a few sad pandas like this poor fella:

Does GH have a post limit per day? I was trying to participate in the sale and not ****post but its not counting them any more. I would really like a lycan.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:42:18 »

Or nah.

You're back!
always, sadly.

you see this?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-family-burbank-man-launched-onto-freeway-sign-20151102-story.html

RIP 2016 FiST

What does spam mean?

look up power user's posts and you'll see what spam is

That is crazy! I hadnt heard about that. Lucky he didnt take anyone else out with him.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:50:06 »

Hmm

Huh
This makes my day.  :p

Nothing to see here, move along  :rolleyes:

Some of us are just slower than others haha.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:00:57 »

Hmm

Huh

Gonna be a few sad pandas like this poor fella:

Does GH have a post limit per day? I was trying to participate in the sale and not ****post but its not counting them any more. I would really like a lycan.

I'm sorry, but geekhack is a keyboard forum, not a marketplace, and is run by volunteers.  We need to do what we can to keep the quality posts to a maximum and the spam posts to a minimum.  I hate to sound like a prick, but I value the mod team's sanity over someone being able to buy a keycap.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:06:31 »

I'm sorry, but geekhack is a keyboard forum, not a marketplace, and is run by volunteers.  We need to do what we can to keep the quality posts to a maximum and the spam posts to a minimum.  I hate to sound like a prick, but I value the mod team's sanity over someone being able to buy a keycap.

Oh, don't get me wrong I posted that quote because it was hilarious and amazingly tone deaf.

I think it should be #2 in the new Hall of Shame thread...

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:08:09 »
Seems like Other Geeky Stuff is becoming the new target for post count farmers.

My boards:
More

Offline raymogi

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:12:54 »

Seconded.

I've seen so many threads getting necroed.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:14:32 »
There should definitely be a better alternative to this, a post count minimum just causes too much spam. If it was only by how long you've been registered on the forums then could result in a lot of accounts being created without any activity. If there had to be requirements then I feel that a mix of both would be best for the forums, perhaps 50 posts and 1 or 2 months on the forum. Who knows, but there definitely needs to be a better option.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:17:00 »

You'd think that if you're bothering to go through the effort to spam, you would also then check every once in awhile to verify that the number is in fact going up?

*sigh*

There should definitely be a better alternative to this, a post count minimum just causes too much spam. If it was only by how long you've been registered on the forums then could result in a lot of accounts being created without any activity. If there had to be requirements then I feel that a mix of both would be best for the forums, perhaps 50 posts and 1 or 2 months on the forum. Who knows, but there definitely needs to be a better option.

Well for the actual forum-instilled limits, it's both post count and membership time.

Oh, don't get me wrong I posted that quote because it was hilarious and amazingly tone deaf.

I think it should be #2 in the new Hall of Shame thread...

Oh my bad, I thought you were saying the opposite.  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:17:37 »
Honestly though, I don't think if I were Bro Caps, that I would have anticipated this response. You'd have to be thinking 2 or 3 moves ahead to see this coming.

My boards:
More