Author Topic: Unexpected downtime and some posts lost? Rollback.  (Read 14895 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Unexpected downtime and some posts lost? Rollback.
« on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 22:11:38 »
I have found some threads with apparently lost post. Does someone has an explanation?
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:57:36 by ideus »

Offline logomachy

Re: Unexpected downtime and some posts lost?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 22:18:31 »
Looks like a rollback.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 22:24:14 »
I was not able to log in for an hour or so, did someone else experience the same?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 22:27:41 »

I was not able to log in for an hour or so, did someone else experience the same?

Yes. At least 3 hours for me.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 22:39:52 »
Were there some changes made to the site that were reason for it to be rolled back?  I'm curious about the cause of this.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 22:55:35 »
It may be due to recovery of backed up data.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:03:41 »
Yeah, check your PMs too.  I lost the ones I sent just before it went down around 4:30PM PST.  When the servers came back, it showed I had unread posts from about 1:00PM PST so I am resubmitting my posts

Offline neverused

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:04:08 »
Possibly due to the jackassery from some user that changed his name to NAMESPACE and then *****ed about his posts not being deleted and him still being able to access his own account. Apparently when you claim to be suffering from Internet addiction, posting on the Internet helps, as does maintaining that connection, and acting like an entitled child.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:05:40 »
So do we suspect someone caused this or was it just a server hiccup?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:06:00 »
Possibly due to the jackassery from some user that changed his name to NAMESPACE and then *****ed about his posts not being deleted and him still being able to access his own account. Apparently when you claim to be suffering from Internet addiction, posting on the Internet helps, as does maintaining that connection, and acting like an entitled child.

I thought they just scrambled his pw?

Offline neverused

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:27:13 »

I thought they just scrambled his pw?
Couldn't say, the thread is gone.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:28:30 »
Looks like almost a whole day's worth gone.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Coreda

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:33:59 »

Wait, that user actually managed to convince the admin to delete all his posts? Only caught the first few joke posts about it.

Offline neverused

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:56:03 »

Wait, that user actually managed to convince the admin to delete all his posts? Only caught the first few joke posts about it.
No some of his posts remain, but I don't see that particular thread.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:01:00 »

u dumb af

Offline neverused

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:04:02 »

u dumb af
Well that's rude.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:05:27 »

u dumb af
Well that's bm*
FTFY
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:05:42 »
Post was probably post rollback.

Offline neverused

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:06:11 »

u dumb af
Well that's bm*
FTFY
Wish I knew what that meant. I must be old.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:07:21 »

u dumb af
Well that's bm*
FTFY

it means fixed that for you

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:07:57 »

u dumb af
Well that's rude.

that's how we say "We agree" around here :)

Hey Bee, that's a very festive picture of Demik in your profile
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline neverused

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:08:39 »

u dumb af
Well that's bm*
FTFY

it means fixed that for you
Sorry I was referring to bm*

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:08:46 »

u dumb af
Well that's bm*
FTFY

confirmed dumb af

Offline neverused

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:08:55 »

u dumb af
Well that's rude.

Aw shucks

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:11:37 »

u dumb af
Well that's rude.

Hey Bee, that's a very festive picture of Demik in your profile

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

i couldn't pull that suit off.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 03:09:00 »
This explains a bit, but a quick post from the mods or admins would help to alleviate fears and concerns.

This is supposed to be the site announcements area!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Coreda

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:14:53 »
Huh, this must have affected an entire day's worth of posts and any threads created during that time. Checked the 'If I were a rich boy...' thread and it has become a different thread over on the new members section with the original no longer in existance.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:27:21 »
We keep posting, but an "official" explanation would be very appreciated by the community.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:42:43 »
Pardon the delay.

Last we heard from iMav, he said:
Ok.  Back.  Still looking for root cause...but it appears to not have been something external (nothing malicious).

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:58:17 »
Huh, this must have affected an entire day's worth of posts and any threads created during that time. Checked the 'If I were a rich boy...' thread and it has become a different thread over on the new members section with the original no longer in existance.

You're right, as far as I know. iMav said there was some sort of corruption in the database, and he had to restore to a backup from earlier in the day. The forum doesn't have a record of the threads that were lost in the rollback, so it appears that the numerical identifier from that thread was freed up and reused.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)