Author Topic: Coming from typewriters, I got introduced to the Keyboard enthusiast community.  (Read 6706 times)

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Coming from the Typewriter enthusiast community, I got introduced to mechanical Keyboards.

Hi, I am a German typewriter collector and Keyboard enthusiast! My fingers went from manual and electric typewriters to a IBM Model M, since then I tested out and owned a huge variation of mechanical Keyboards and switches. To date, I stuck with a IBM Model M (Standard & SSK), a IBM Model F and my HHKB Pro 2 Type S.

I'm always interested in experiences with mechanical keyboards (or typewriters for that matter) and others preferences!
I'm always open for all kinds of questions and gladly give advise or opinions as long as my knowledge and experience allow it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:22:30 by Olumin »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
This sounds like this thread was made for you  :D

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76653.msg1919082#msg1919082

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Welcome to Geekhack!

The HHKB would be quite a contrast to the buckling spring keyboards - what made you choose an HHKB?

Typewriter thread linked above, there are also threads for buckling spring keyboards, and specifically SSKs :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Hi there!

You have some great keyboards...I'm typing on my SSK right now, so awesome.

What sort of typewriters do you have? I have an original IBM Selectric I, and it's a dream to use.

Offline Olumin

Hi there!

You have some great keyboards...I'm typing on my SSK right now, so awesome.

What sort of typewriters do you have? I have an original IBM Selectric I, and it's a dream to use.

I'm quite a collector, I have mainly manual/mechanical typewriters, mainly German machines, but also a few electrics. I own a Selectric too, although a Correcting Selectric II (here in Germany 86c). The machine I most frequently work with is funny enough, a Erika Model M.

Offline Olumin

Welcome to Geekhack!

The HHKB would be quite a contrast to the buckling spring keyboards - what made you choose an HHKB?

Typewriter thread linked above, there are also threads for buckling spring keyboards, and specifically SSKs :)

Perhaps, It is that contrast that makes me enjoy it. Although I enjoy the clickyness and sort of feedback I get from a old Model M or F, I also like "taking a break" and appreciate the smooth feeling of a topre switch.

Actually, the HHKB is my main board, the Model M and F are mainly used for plain typing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Welcome to Geekhack!

Perhaps, It is that contrast that makes me enjoy it. Although I enjoy the clickyness and sort of feedback I get from a old Model M or F, I also like "taking a break" and appreciate the smooth feeling of a topre switch.

Actually, the HHKB is my main board, the Model M and F are mainly used for plain typing.

I like the sound and feel of buckling springs, but my other half and my daughter appreciate the quietness of Topre switches while they are trying to sleep :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Olumin

Welcome to Geekhack!

I like the sound and feel of buckling springs, but my other half and my daughter appreciate the quietness of Topre switches while they are trying to sleep :))

Oh, sorry to hear that you have a split personality disorder, must be hard to live with that, I can not even imagine ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 13:51:40 by Olumin »

Offline bcredbottle

I think we should get together and make a list of typewriters with caps that are compatible with mechanical keyboards.

For example, I was able to get a beautiful set of caps from a Royal Beta 9000D that were MX-compatible.

More

Offline Olumin

I think we should get together and make a list of typewriters with caps that are compatible with mechanical keyboards.

For example, I was able to get a beautiful set of caps from a Royal Beta 9000D that were MX-compatible.

More
Show Image

Many electronic typewriters indeed have mechanical keyboards and are cherry or alps compatible, but I mostly collect and own much older machines. I only own 2 electric typewriters, a IBM selectric II from 1976 and a Olympia Report deluxe from 1974.

But if you know a machine with Dye Sublimated PBT keycaps which are alps compatible, let me now.

Offline bcredbottle

More
Show Image

Many electronic typewriters indeed have mechanical keyboards and are cherry or alps compatible, but I mostly collect and own much older machines. I only own 2 electric typewriters, a IBM selectric II from 1976 and a Olympia Report deluxe from 1974.

But if you know a machine with Dye Sublimated PBT keycaps which are alps compatible, let me now.

Alps compatible??? Really? Do you know any examples?

Offline 3K

More
Show Image

Such information is already available on here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Triumph-Adler (sorted by brand, for example TA)
Many typewriters also provide a nice mounting plate, and allow to make a nice custom board out of them!  :)

Also welcome to geekhack @Olumin!

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Olumin

More
Show Image

They do indeed exist, but are quite uncommon, here is a example: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43454.0

They are probably found in electronic typewriters made in the late 80 and 90, like the one I linked.

Offline bcredbottle

More
Show Image

Such information is already available on here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Triumph-Adler (sorted by brand, for example TA)
Many typewriters also provide a nice mounting plate, and allow to make a nice custom board out of them!  :)

Also welcome to geekhack @Olumin!

Yeah but that doesn't have a category for typewriters. The DT wiki has a list of all brands, but not a list of typewriter brands, much less typewriter brands/models whose caps are compatible with mechanical keyboard swithces.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

More
Show Image

They do indeed exist, but are quite uncommon, here is a example: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43454.0

They are probably found in electronic typewriters made in the late 80 and 90, like the one I linked.

I still have that typewriter :)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
I think typewriters are amazing machines. Thousands of parts and they needed a huge amount of setup/tuning by hand.  Talking about the older models, of course.

I think it's somewhat of a shame to take the keys from working typewriters, just to turn into jewellery and the like.

PS welcome to geekhack!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I think typewriters are amazing machines. Thousands of parts and they needed a huge amount of setup/tuning by hand.  Talking about the older models, of course.

I think it's somewhat of a shame to take the keys from working typewriters, just to turn into jewellery and the like.

PS welcome to geekhack!

Although if the typewriters are broken beyond repair, at least their organs can be donated to a good cause.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Of course!
I'd say there's a gradient, at one end there's this sort of thing

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
I've been trying very hard not to start collecting typewriters, I've got one (just one), and my partner bought me a book 'The Typewriter Revolution' for my birthday. 

I wonder if it's easier to get others to understand why you would collect typewriters than it would be to explain why you collect computer keyboards.  A lot of people have a bit of nostalgia for typewriters, certainty many of those won't have much if anything about the keyboards they are using now.

Offline Olumin

I do actually have a Blue Alps (Alps SKCM Blue Switches) Keyboard, a  Chicony KB-5161C, laying around here, I wanted to sell it for quite some time since I am not capable of removing the switches and build them into another board or PCB. If someone is interested in buying it please contact me, I will provide more info if there is any interest.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Did you happen to attend the 2014 International Typewriters Collectors Convention in Milwaukee?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jacobolus

a Olympia Report deluxe from 1974.
This is a nice mechanical typewriter, but for real fun try the Olympia Professional electric typewriters from a few years later, which were the only known keyboards to use Marquardt plate spring “butterfly” switches. Here are some videos of HaaTa’s: qf8l7hJ1nT4 FA31C5-Oku8

If you can ever find one, I highly recommend typing on it for at least a few minutes. Addictively clicky.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:33:37 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

I do actually have a Blue Alps (Alps SKCM Blue Switches) Keyboard, a  Chicony KB-5161C, laying around here, I wanted to sell it for quite some time since I am not capable of removing the switches and build them into another board or PCB. If someone is interested in buying it please contact me,
If you make a few more posts here, you can put up a thread in the classified section. I’m sure someone would be willing to spend at least $70–80 USD for it, or perhaps $100. Not sure what the going rate is in Germany.

Offline Olumin

I do actually have a Blue Alps (Alps SKCM Blue Switches) Keyboard, a  Chicony KB-5161C, laying around here, I wanted to sell it for quite some time since I am not capable of removing the switches and build them into another board or PCB. If someone is interested in buying it please contact me,
If you make a few more posts here, you can put up a thread in the classified section. I’m sure someone would be willing to spend at least $70–80 USD for it, or perhaps $100. Not sure what the going rate is in Germany.

Thanks for the info, actually somebody already bought it :) So its no longer available.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Olumin, do you use a typewriter pad? I was wondering if they were any good for mechanical keyboards (obviously the shape won't be right).

Offline Olumin

Olumin, do you use a typewriter pad? I was wondering if they were any good for mechanical keyboards (obviously the shape won't be right).

I do yes, It works wonders on mechanical and electric typewriters. So far as pads for keyboards go, I just use my Desk-pad, but I don't think that a Pad will reduce the noise your keyboard makes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2016, 08:18:00 by Olumin »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
That's good to know, thanks!

Offline Trente

I am a college student recently into typewriter and want to get one for my course works. But I am very not sure which path to go and want to get some help here. Personally I would like to get a electric one with maybe Alps switch or some kind of click mechanical switch. But a smooth tactile one would also works great. Thank you.

Offline mjcr

Hi There,

I've also recently got into typewriters. I'm cleaning up and restoring a 1954 Empire Aristocrat and have a nice Olivetti Lettera 32. However, I've just got the Freewrite as well, and that is lots of fun. Also a fan of typewriter pads. There's a chap in the UK sells them, or some pressed wool felt of a suitable thickness cut to size will work well.