Author Topic: Lighter spring?  (Read 57167 times)

Offline IjonTichy

Lighter spring?
« on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:25:39 »
Is it possible to change the spring in the Matias Quiet switch to make it a little lighter? What spring do I need for that?

Offline bcredbottle

Re: Lighter spring?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:45:52 »
Sprit ran an interest check for Alps/Matias springs a while back but it went nowhere. No one makes Alps springs for the public right now AFAIK.

Your best bet is to get some Matias linear switches (which are very light) and swap them in.
http://matias.ca/switches/linear/

In case you're wondering, MX springs cannot fit in Alps switches. They are too wide.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're talking about Matias Quiet Click. If you're talking about Quiet linear switches, I have no idea how to help because I don't know of any lighter springs than the ones found in those.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 11:59:03 »
Matias quiet click and quiet linear share the same spring, and they are both lighter than the quiet click spring.

So, unfortunately, there really isn't currently an option to go lighter with either of the quiet Matias switches. You CAN swap one of the quiet switch springs to the clicky switch to lighten it, though.

If you want kind of a nice middle ground between quiet and clicky, you can swap a quiet slider and spring into a clicky switch. That way your up and down stroke are dampened, you have the light spring, and you still get the click of the leaf against the housing.

I believe the difference in spring between the click and quiet click is due to the leaf in the quiet click providing more resistence, therefore they used a lighter spring to make it feel closer to the clicky switch.

I would definitely be on board for a group buy or some other source for lighter springs, as I prefer switches in general with 45-50g actuation points.

Offline Tibe

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 14:26:07 »
Can I have an exact specification of the Alps springs?
Well I can surf on almost every China trading platform, there should be some springs that fits, there has to be. If I have the number I can start a search much easier  :thumb:

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 02:27:48 »
Not sure if relevant, but, when my QuietPro arrived some of the little rubber bumpers inside the switches were misaligned, making those switches a tiny bit sticky. Initially this made me think the whole keyboard was too heavily weighted until I figured out what was going on. NB I got it used, not brand new, so who knows what was done to it before I got it?

Recently I swapped QuietClick springs into my Click switches, but now I'm thinking they're too light and plan on swapping them back. I think what I'd like in the Click switches is a coil spring with a higher spring-rate, like MX-Clears, which ramps up the resistance faster per mm of compression.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:44:17 »
One option is finding old switches of other types as spring donors. For instance, Alps, SMK switches, Omron B3G-S switches, KPT switches, other simplified Alps clones, etc. all have springs with approximately the same diameter, and various stiffnesses and lengths.

Another option is to get some very sturdy wire cutters, and try cutting a few loops off every spring.

I think what I'd like in the Click switches is a coil spring with a higher spring-rate, like MX-Clears, which ramps up the resistance faster per mm of compression.
What you want is a stiffer but shorter spring then. I recommend getting black Alps switches and snipping off some of the inactive coils. I’m not convinced that’s actually the feel you’re looking for (Alps and MX switches have fundamentally different force curves), but it’s worth trying out.

So, unfortunately, there really isn't currently an option to go lighter with either of the quiet Matias switches. You CAN swap one of the quiet switch springs to the clicky switch to lighten it, though.
I recommend folks with Matias-switch keyboards get some linear switches and some clicky switches and swap the springs. Makes an improvement to both, though the modified switches are still not quite at the sweet spot for switch stiffness. (Modified clicky switch is still slightly too stiff, and the modified linear switch is still slightly too soft, for my taste.)

Can I have an exact specification of the Alps springs?
Just measure with some calipers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 11:09:48 by jacobolus »