Author Topic: Chromebooks  (Read 11852 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Chromebooks
« on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:35:11 »
How many GHers have a Chromebook (or two or three or ... )??

I've had a few and currently use a ASUS C100PA.  It's a 10" with great battery life (9+ real world hours).  It is also a convertible w/ a 180 degree hinge...so it can be used as a tablet.  Personally, I like to flip the keyboard back and set my HHKB in front of it.  :)

It is also one of the first Chromebooks to support all of the Android apps from the Google Play Store.  So, I actually find it quite a bit more useful than my iPad.  (even though I have my iPad in a keyboard case, I absolutely HATE having to use the touch screen along with the keyboard.)

I've been eyeing a few of the new convertibles on the market.  Namely the Samsung Chromebook Plus and the successor to my current Chromebook, the ASUS Flip C302CA...

The Samsung has a built in stylus, much better screen resolution, and (IMHO) better screen ratio.  However, the ASUS should have better battery life (partially because it doesn't have to drive as many pixels).  Both are "premium" Chromebooks (hence the higher pricetag).  Both are convertible.  Both will run all the Google Play Store apps.  Also note that the Samsung will also come in a "Pro" edition...which will leverage a Core m3 CPU, instead of the ARM processor that is in the "Plus".

Anyways...I am probably going to pull the trigger on one of them soon.  (I also just bought a 12" Macbook...but that is a whole other discussion) 
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:40:30 by iMav »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Chromebooks
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:47:08 »
The macbook is pretty powerful

Maybe try running the android emulator on it first.. it should run pretty much full speed if you just need android apps.

Offline iMav

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:58:42 »
The macbook is pretty powerful

Maybe try running the android emulator on it first.. it should run pretty much full speed if you just need android apps.
The benefit of the Chromebook is being able to flip the keyboard all the way around and using the device like an Android tablet.  Do you have a Chromebook??

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 03:08:35 »
My boss is nuts about Chromebooks he bought a whole bunch and is slowly trying to convert people into using them.
I can see his perspective though because at the moment we buy windows laptops for the personnel but these are just so much easier. Someone comes in and has ****ed it up, reset, and 2 minutes later you're good to go again.
Right now we mirror harddrives for all models so our 'server' could be spared too and repurposed for something else.

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:35:54 »
The school I teach at uses chromebooks. I like how they are inexpensive, and they are completely standardized across the entire device "pool". Just sign into one, and all your settings/preferences/etc are there and ready to go. Surprisingly, they have not become a distraction for the kids -- I have no idea why not. Back in my day, we were playing Drugwars on our ti-83s!

I personally would not want to own one for personal use, I'm just too attached to my macbook air (and that's already far from being a power user's machine) Also, the need to have an internet connection to make it fully functional makes chromebooks ill-suited for traveling in different countries where wifi isn't readily available.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 18:29:31 »
I had a Chromebook:  Dell Chromebook 13, the crème de la crème of Chromebooks.  I enjoyed using it and found that it was a great laptop for basic computing use.  I was even able to dual boot with Linux.  If you are looking for a computer for basic Internet browsing and media consumption and light office work, Chromebooks are a great fit.  Chrome OS is so smooth, fast, and trouble free.u

I eventually sold the Chromebook because I found it too limited for my intended use.  Mine only had 4gb RAM, and I would run up against that limit.  8gb RAM Chromebooks become as expensive as a decent Windows laptop that is more Linux friendly, so why bother at that price point.  The keyboard layout is not ideal for Linux and the Dell Chromebook keyboard also felt like typing on a wall, like many laptops.  Also, I am addicted to the Thinkpad trackpoint.

So I sold the Chromebook and used the funds for a Thinkpad Yoga.  Happy with the choice so far, I feel much less limited in my laptop usage.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline iMav

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:23:56 »
So I sold the Chromebook and used the funds for a Thinkpad Yoga.  Happy with the choice so far, I feel much less limited in my laptop usage.

I just keep several laptops around...so I never feel limited.  :)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 17:19:17 »

I just keep several laptops around...so I never feel limited.  :)

When I own a home, I most likely will do that as well.   But as a renter, I like to the keep the possessions to a minimum.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Karma Yogadog

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 09:46:13 »
Acer Chromebook 14. Sleek like a Macbook Air but a refurbished unit costs $199. N3160 processor is a little slow but adequate to run Linux apps like GIMP and Blender 3D in a Chrome browser tab. ChromeOS can run Linux apps using a script called Crouton since it is essentially Google's user interface running on top of a Linux Kernal.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 16:13:32 »
Acer Chromebook 14. Sleek like a Macbook Air but a refurbished unit costs $199. N3160 processor is a little slow but adequate to run Linux apps like GIMP and Blender 3D in a Chrome browser tab. ChromeOS can run Linux apps using a script called Crouton since it is essentially Google's user interface running on top of a Linux Kernal.
I'm thinking about getting one of these.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 20:58:07 »
For about the same price you could get a nice used Air with far more computing power and be a lot nicer to use (similar battery life as well). I believe someone put Android on one, and you can dual or triple boot any combo of Mac, Windows and Linux.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 21:38:25 »
For about the same price you could get a nice used Air with far more computing power and be a lot nicer to use (similar battery life as well). I believe someone put Android on one, and you can dual or triple boot any combo of Mac, Windows and Linux.

For ~$180 :eek:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 22:47:11 »

For ~$180 :eek:
New vs used.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 10:08:48 »
I have an Acer CB5 that I bought almost exclusively for media use. I have a gaming laptop that we would watch YouTube on but the thing got so hot that I started looking for a different solution. Admittedly, I always found that Chromebooks were too limited in my experience supporting them at a university IT department, but for basic usage they are actually quite great. In any case, the CB5 rarely ever needs to turn the fan on (I've heard it turn on like twice since I bought it a few months ago) and usually lasts for 6-8 hours depending on how it's been used. The only real issue I have with it is the extremely tiny SSD at only 32GB, but I'm strongly considering popping it open and installing a much larger one (128GB M.2 drives are pretty cheap on eBay for the no-name brands from China; I normally wouldn't consider the knockoffs but for a Chromebook I don't see it being a big deal). For anything else I can just use my desktop, laptop, or my Macbook at work and be just fine.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline DumbUglyDragon

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 13:31:18 »
I used to have a few, but ended up moving back to a Windows laptop since I needed Windows to run Solidworks. I'd still recommend a Chromebook to 85% of the people who ask me to recommendations on a laptop. Most people would be what I call "casual users" of computers and the CB really does everything they need. 
Topre/White Alps/MX Blue

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 21:26:42 »
Would be great for ssh/telnet, and maybe some late night PDF reading. *contemplates*

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 02:22:23 »
Chromebooks are nice for casual users because it's far less likely that they will download some kind of malware to completely bork up their systems. I've tried getting people to use Linux Mint as a nice alternative but they inevitably always complain that "Windows" is broken and doesn't work.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:23:25 »
Typing this on my thinkpad chromebook.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 13:49:30 »

And now on my acer chromebook....I have issues.... :p

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 17:34:04 »

Thinkpad Chromebook? You don't say.  :eek:

I was given a Chromebook and hoped to fix it up, maybe install some light version of Ubuntu. 16GB SSD, 2GB memory, all soldered in. But I guess there's no BIOS you can access, or any boot menu says Acer, so I can't install anything if I wanted to. I don't know anything about Chrome OS, it's for my dad though...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 17:40:00 »

Thinkpad Chromebook? You don't say.  :eek:

I was given a Chromebook and hoped to fix it up, maybe install some light version of Ubuntu. 16GB SSD, 2GB memory, all soldered in. But I guess there's no BIOS you can access, or any boot menu says Acer, so I can't install anything if I wanted to. I don't know anything about Chrome OS, it's for my dad though...

What model do you have?

The thinkpad chromebook I have is the x131e model, I've added a 120gb ssd and upgraded to 8gb ram.

Rumor has it you can flash it and put windows 10 on it. I've gotta try just for kicks.

Honestly for web browsing and simple stuff I think chromeos is fine.

My kid says they use them at school and going into junior high I'm sure she'll have more homework that requires a computer so shell get to use the second chromebook (acer) I just got.

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 July 2018, 17:41:53 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 17:49:39 »
I would like a fanless 64-bit ARM - based 12" laptop that runs a Linux distro, and which isn't crippled in any way: storage, screen, keyboard, memory, ports, etc.
If it was a Chromebook or Win10/ARM - machine originally is not important.

Offline haanuman

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 05:07:12 »
I don't have a chromebook but I am more comfortable in using a Macbook, my friend has one chromebook and I kept it for a week to see whether it'll work out for me, but nah. I like the apple environment much better.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 19:12:56 »
What model do you have?

One of the worst they made, I’m assuming. I know it was super cheap. Says “CB3-111 series” on the bottom.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 20:42:02 »
What model do you have?

One of the worst they made, I’m assuming. I know it was super cheap. Says “CB3-111 series” on the bottom.

You might check this thread it seems like you can install a linux variant

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalliumOS/comments/4940t4/question_acer_cb3111/

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 22:00:21 »
What model do you have?

You might check this thread it seems like you can install a linux variant

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalliumOS/comments/4940t4/question_acer_cb3111/

An addendum to this thread: Bay Trail CBs can now dual boot! MattDevo, aka /u/MrChromebox, has made a working RW_LEGACY payload compatible with Bay Trail CBs, so not only do you not have to remove the write protect anymore, but can also configure a dual boot system via chrx!

Dang, actual dual booting and not running from (crouton) a chroot environment? That's pretty cool.

I understand that ChromiumOS is suppose to be fully open source, except I'm not savy as to how that is shipped out to consumers. That a Android (market) vs. LineageOS (aftermarket) type deal?

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 15:38:56 »
So why Gallium? Why not follow their instructions about the firmware and throw some other light *buntu on there?

What if the distro suddenly goes defunct or something? I want this thing to just work, and for as long as possible. Maybe I want something based on LTS?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 18:22:07 »
I agree, the entire Chromebook ecosystem is very confusing.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 19:36:52 »

So why Gallium? Why not follow their instructions about the firmware and throw some other light *buntu on there?

What if the distro suddenly goes defunct or something? I want this thing to just work, and for as long as possible. Maybe I want something based on LTS?

From what I understand a lot of work has been put into gallium to maximize out of the box hardware compatability with various chromebooks.

Other distros might work but it also may take some time to get everything working normally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 21:09:56 »

Chromebook should do everything short of fotoshop and CAD..

Good for kids.

If google went out and did up their own fotoshop and improved sketchup a bit more.. they would own it all .

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 21:38:54 »

Good for kids.

If google went out and did up their own fotoshop and improved sketchup a bit more.. they would own it all .

Sounds good to me. Not having to rely on the bulk Fusion360 for 3D modeling would be a good start. Although, a cheap linux box/display/keyboard that actually has somewhat decent I/O speeds could come in handy for the more adventurous nerds. Hide a joystick in the top drawer for those hallmark retro gaming moments.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 10:25:51 »

Good for kids.

You're missing the point. The original Chromebooks were low budget computers designed for the basics - watching videos, typing papers, etc. For media purposes, I actually prefer my Chromebook. The ecosystem is not that confusing if you really put your mind to it.

Since the majority of today's users are in their browser 90% of the time, the basis of the OS is built around Chrome browser. The browser is extensible with "apps" which you can use to run desktop-esque software, such as TeamViewer (which I use quite often on my Chromebook). The laptops also support Android applications, so I can play Android games (with controller) and also emulate systems like the PS1. For typing I typically use a PC, but Google Docs works great for most things and there is the Word for Android app if I need it. Of course, anything that can be done on a browser can also be done on a Chromebook. Because they are low-power devices, battery life is excellent (8+ hours on mine) and they also generate very little heat (good for watching in a place with inadequate cooling like a bed or couch). Of course, power users will find the OS seriously lacking as there is not a lot of support for programming (although there are some good Android IDEs out there) and obviously you can't run rendering software like CAD. Power users can either install a different OS (which started this topic off) or buy something else.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 14:10:19 »
From what I understand a lot of work has been put into gallium to maximize out of the box hardware compatability with various chromebooks.

Other distros might work but it also may take some time to get everything working normally.

It’s been a minute since I installed any distro. I figured Wayland “might” be ready for 2018, and had looked into that. It seems only the main Ubuntu (now with GNOME) supports that. Anyone think I could run full Ubuntu on this thing? CB3-111 Specs.

Maybe I should stick with Gallium / Xubuntu / Lubuntu, and Xorg?