Author Topic: Vintage Keyboard Haul & Restoration  (Read 2785 times)

Offline mdszy

• ayy lmao
    • mdszy
Vintage Keyboard Haul & Restoration
« on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 22:02:09 »
The Haul

Last week I snagged some old keyboards from my university's resale store. Each of these was on the $1 electronics table, so each one was $1. Every keyboard came as is shown, none with cases, unfortunately.

Unknown keyboard with Stackpole switches.

Another unknown Stackpole keyboard.

Micro-Term Ergo 301 Keyboard with Alps SKCC Cream switches. The stem on the { / ] key is completely snapped off and the keycap is missing.

Another Micro-Term Ergo 301 Keyboard. This one is in much better shape, all switches and caps intact (keyboard was manufactured without the F-row populated). More on this one later! My apologies for the photo quality.

IBM Model F XT. Buckling springs, of course.

Another unknown keyboard, this one with Hi-Tek switches.

And finally, yet another Stackpole board. Also unknown.

Today the store was open again and I stopped in to see if they had any more. They did!

From today's haul:

Yet another (!) Micro-Term Ergo 301 keyboard. This one also in very good condition, from the looks of it.

An XT Zenith Z-150 with Alps SKCL Green switches.

Finally, another Stackpole board.

The Restoration

This past weekend I got a chance to bring the keyboards home and start working on them. I got the most work done with the two Ergo 301 boards I had from last week. I started by desoldering the switches, removing them from the plates, giving the plates and caps a thorough cleaning and individually testing each switch. (I made up a Pretty janky switch tester rig for them) I am going to then hand-wire them into a teensy to use them as modern keyboards. One of the switches from the board was broken, so I had to salvage from the other one.

I've also taken to modeling the plate in Solidworks so I can design a case around it for 3D Printing. I don't have high hopes of finding a case for this keyboard somewhere.

This is the current progress I've made on that Ergo 301.

I've also started restoring the Model F. In the process, I've been learning how difficult it is to reassemble after it's been taken apart...

I'm not sure what I'll do with the Stackpole/Hi-Tek boards, most of the Stackpole ones have different colored caps and are missing caps, so I can't swap between them.

Anyone have any idea of what the unknown boards are?

Das Keyboard Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition | Pok3r

Offline Tally810

Re: Vintage Keyboard Haul & Restoration
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 22:08:30 »
Oh wow nice haul dude

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Alexander Reytman

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 10:46:53 »
Stackpole keyboards are from DecWriter II, III or another Digital equipment.
I have the same keyboard matrix (like first an final) at the DEC VT100 terminal keyboard, but PCB is different.

Offline sexzual

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 15:42:38 »
cool stuff.  weird none of them had cases?