Author Topic: [IC] Katana60 tmk/qmk 60% PCB, with ALPs and MX support -updated intro  (Read 30021 times)

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker

Latest update post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88719.msg2477138#msg2477138

Introduction
Katana60 is a symmetrical row staggered PCB that is compatible with standard 60% keyboards and standard keysets. You can use Matias/ALPS switches in any of the compatible layouts, and there is a layout which is compatible with an AEKii keycap set. The idea of the compatibility layouts is to reduce costs when it comes to hunting down keys for your new board.

Compatibility
This image illustrates the multiple bottom compatibility options available on the PCB. The MX and AEKii labels are a guide - you can use whichever layout you want with any switch type, though in order to use the AEKii compatible stabilisers, you will need to get your own plate cut.

KLE compatibility:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2c5fbe25d69beb177f9701989bd6f36c

Or image:
More

Great for touch typing
The board is symmetrical row staggered, which is great if you're a touch typer and/or you use Dvorak/Colemak layouts, or any other layouts optimised for maximum home-row time. The idea here is that you rarely need to move your hands from the home row, making it more efficient and ergonomical.

Many ergonomic keyboards on the market tend to be expensive, require completely custom keycaps sets (adding to the cost) and have an odd shaped case. Trying one without being sure if you'll like it requires a leap of financial faith. The Katana60 will be cheaper to try, and you can choose one of many 60% cases, giving you a lot of customisation choice.

Plate PCB and Pricing
There will be a universal plate available at the same time as the PCB. The PCB supports PCB mounted Cherry stabilisers, though you can make your own plate with plate mounted cut-outs if you wish. Though the original intention was to launch a group buy, but the Katana60 will instead be made available at candykeys.com

The PCB and universal is currently being quote up and prices will be revealed soon. I welcome all of your feedback, please leave your comments below.

Original post:
More
Interested users:

Yes
Robotical
Trente
jebbra
rrrsss
runswithflowers

Maybe
Puddsy
ErgoMacros
Vigrith

I'm gauging interest in a PCB for a 60% board with a symmetrical row stagger (a more natural slant for the left hand). The PCB will fit right into 60% cases, and will come pre-soldered with microcontroller (atmega32u4) and diodes - all you need to do is add switches. Above is an example layout that I'm using in a hand-wired prototype board right now.

The current PCB prototype supports both MX and ALPs switches; I’d like to run a concurrent switch plate group buy enabling each of the PCB’s supported layouts:

Features
* Symmetrical layout, for a more natural (ergonomic) key arrangement than legacy layouts.
* Support for standard ANSI keycap sets - you don’t need any special keycaps.
* Support for qmk or tmk, with an atmega32u4 microcontroller (found on teensy 2.0 and pro micro).
* Support for poker style 60% cases.
* Support for Cherry MX AND Matias/ALPs style switches.
* All components will be presoldered - just add switches and caps.

Further refinements
* Switch plate style (which layout, universal switch cutouts?).
* debugging the PCB.

The Layout
The layout features symmetrical staggered rows, like the utron, suka's hypermicro or a number of bpiphany’s boards. Unlike these boards, a standard ANSI keyset is all you need to cover this layout. This is by design, as it allows you to cheaply buy in to any attractive keyset group buy.

The PCB
I’m currently debugging the first PCB prototype. The PCB supports ALPs and Cherry MX switches, with the following supported layouts:

Bonus!: Link to KLE

The two alternative bottom rows arose from my desire to support the (limited) Matias keycaps that are available - here is a hand-wired Katana60, with MQCs and aekii caps, that I’m currently using day-to-day at the office:

Fully programmable
The PCB will include an atmega32u4 - the same microcontroller found in the popular Teensy and Pro Micro boards, so its compatible with TMK and QMK firmware.

If you’re interested in either 1. the PCB, 2. the switch plate or 3. both, please reply, saying which. I'll add the names to a list (and may or may not create a form for you to fill in).

Also, please state if you'd be interested in the plate if it supports universal holes (so the same plate can support both MX and ALPs style switches.)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 August 2017, 00:22:44 by RominRonin »

Offline Robotical

Re: Katana60 - A fully programmable 60% PCB, with a more natural layout
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 19:03:32 »
Huh. Definitely interesting. I would love to see a wrist wrest made to help with hand orientation for this layout. How have you found the placement of the arrow keys to work out for you? I could only see myself hitting backspace and spacebar out of habit. But I guess as long as you are used to the layout, it wouldn't be that bad.

Offline Trente

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 19:58:33 »
INterested! I think this layout is pretty good, though it will take some time for left hand to get used to the way it staggered. I think this is a new start from many stagger ergo layout like what Apple/Microsoft do with their ergo keyboard

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 23:20:41 »
Moved to the Interest Checks sub-forum for better visibility.

GLWIC! :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 23:48:55 »
this is ridiculous and i'd absolutely never use one

but i really want one
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 01:07:29 »
I'm in :thumb:

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 01:37:26 »
I like it and would like to try it for a week or two, but not sure I'd switch to it.
Still, very glad your trying this out.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 07:53:48 »

but i really want one

Exactly.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
Nice feedback so far, thanks.

I received the components for the first PCB today, I'll solder it up when I have the time and feedback on how it went. Hopefully before Easter weekend?

Huh. Definitely interesting. I would love to see a wrist wrest made to help with hand orientation for this layout. How have you found the placement of the arrow keys to work out for you? ... I guess as long as you are used to the layout, it wouldn't be that bad.

Here is an image with prototype wrist rests. I switch between using them and not. Re: the arrow keys - you said it; you get used to them. I mean, I have arrows on a function layer anyway, so I only need those for shortcuts or when I'm scrolling one-handed around a window.

Moved to the Interest Checks sub-forum for better visibility.

GLWIC! :thumb:

Thanks, I updated the title too!

but i really want one

:))  <- has this emoticon ever been more appropriate?

I like it and would like to try it for a week or two, but not sure I'd switch to it.
Still, very glad your trying this out.

Why, thank you.

I'm in :thumb:

Noice!

but i really want one

Exactly.

:))

Offline Robotical

Nice feedback so far, thanks.

I received the components for the first PCB today, I'll solder it up when I have the time and feedback on how it went. Hopefully before Easter weekend?

Huh. Definitely interesting. I would love to see a wrist wrest made to help with hand orientation for this layout. How have you found the placement of the arrow keys to work out for you? ... I guess as long as you are used to the layout, it wouldn't be that bad.

Here is an image with prototype wrist rests. I switch between using them and not. Re: the arrow keys - you said it; you get used to them. I mean, I have arrows on a function layer anyway, so I only need those for shortcuts or when I'm scrolling one-handed around a window.

Have you thought about using a concave wrist wrest to kind of funnel your hand position. I feel like my biggest issue with a layout like this would be establishing a home position and utilizing it consistently.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
Re: [IC] Katana60 - A fully programmable 60% PCB, with a more natural layout
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 11:27:51 »
Have you thought about using a concave wrist wrest to kind of funnel your hand position. I feel like my biggest issue with a layout like this would be establishing a home position and utilizing it consistently.

The homing key bumps are still the best way to get your fingers into the right position, the aekii caps have the bumps under the middle finger (non-standard). I'm using both boards (with the same layout), and don't have trouble adjusting.

As for a concave wrist rest - yes, I often prop the wrist rests up to get that slight angle. I find that a comfortable position to work in. I did the same thing with my Dactyl - note there's also a reverse angle. That's inspired by the logitech g13 gaming pad rest - one of my favourite rests for comfort.

Offline rrrsss

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 16:09:54 »
so this will fit normal poker cases then? excited for the pcb and the plate gb!

did some muckng around on KLE to see how a split would look like.. The first one would enable the development of symmetric pcb and plate (?) between the two halves, but leaves gaps between the halves. For the second and third ones, I'm kind of torn between giving the left half or the right half more keys. Not to mention the '6' key debacle.

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 April 2017, 16:14:10 by rrrsss »

Offline srang

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 06:49:16 »
This looks like a neat kit

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 14:40:59 »
I'd be very interested to see how I type on this. The alphas are interestingly slanted inward, but still not ortholinear. I could say I'm hesitantly in.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
Re: [IC] Katana60 tmk/qmk 60% PCB, with ALPs and MX support -updated intro
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 15:42:38 »
Since this is now in the interest check section, I thought I'd update the intro to read a bit better. Also, I added an interest list, please comment if I read your replis incorrectly!

@rrrsss: I've already got a split version planned, but that's not the focus of the current interest check - http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/3dc080c2b9fe14475b93baf13c7ff1ce

Offline srang

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 16:45:41 »
Since this is now in the interest check section, I thought I'd update the intro to read a bit better. Also, I added an interest list, please comment if I read your replis incorrectly!

@rrrsss: I've already got a split version planned, but that's not the focus of the current interest check - http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/3dc080c2b9fe14475b93baf13c7ff1ce
Holy smokes that split version with a little underglow would be soooooo cool

Offline rrrsss

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 14:50:40 »
can you move me to the 'yes' section? thanks!

Yeah I know it's not for the current gb, maybe will handwire it myself hahaha. The ve-a esque split is cool too but unfortunately not my cup of tea.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 15:03:25 »
To clarify, I'm interested in both the PCB and a switch plate. :)

Offline batfink

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 04:47:45 »

It's a great design. Typewriters (which obviously required having a stagger) should have been designed like this in the first place.

Have the N and M keys been switched intentionally? I can see the advantage, the more common N key would be easier to hit the way you have it, but it is non-standard Qwerty.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 04:49:20 »
No, that was entirely by accident. I'm a colemak user, so I've mostly forgotten what QWERTY is supposed to look like ;)

Offline ckofy

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 07:42:36 »
Interested. I'm using Angle-wide mod on the standard keyboard, so my left hand is already trained for the new ergonomic position. Don't you think about continuing the same symmetric stagger to the numbers row?

Offline lvince95

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 08:35:19 »
Interested!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 16:31:42 »
If it supports PCB-mount Cherry MX and ships from within EU, I'm in for the PCB.

Offline srang

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 16:36:04 »
Oh btw, interested. Pricing estimate?

Offline batfink

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 08:57:53 »
Interested!

Agreed, the top row should be

1 2 3 4 5 - = 6 7 8 9 0

with hypen and equals located above the two bracket keys.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 09:17:22 »
Interested!

Agreed, the top row should be

1 2 3 4 5 - = 6 7 8 9 0

with hypen and equals located above the two bracket keys.

Shouldn't be a big deal. According to the OP, the PCB will be fully programmable, so that is just a programming change. Layout wise though, that does make sense to me. Almost wonder what it would be like to have the 6 next to the T and the 7 next to the Y. Basically swapping those two positions with the bracket keys.

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 05:33:25 »
I think I saw a picture of this in one of the meetup albums. https://i.imgur.com/GP0E4N2h.jpg
Does that mean it's still happening?

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 02:25:46 »
I think I saw a picture of this in one of the meetup albums. https://i.imgur.com/GP0E4N2h.jpg

The project isn't dead, but I have been very busy at work. I'm on holiday for the next two weeks, I'll post an update after I return.

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 09:51:08 »

The project isn't dead, but I have been very busy at work. I'm on holiday for the next two weeks, I'll post an update after I return.

Can't wait! You can mark me as interested!!

Offline dodgeyhack

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 05:57:59 »
This layout makes a lot of sense to me. I'd like something that avoids so much twisting of the left wrist. I'd be interested in this, but I'm more interested in a split option. I'm worried that I won't be able to overcome 25 odd years of muscle memory so the more radical split version might be different enough that muscle memory won't apply so much.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 July 2017, 06:05:16 by dodgeyhack »

Offline Auk

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 05:21:55 »
I like this more and more each time I browse this thread, but translating interest to an actual purchase does of course depend on timing and money...

In the meantime, questions:
  • Is the plate material decided?
  • Will this support lighting and underglow? Not something I need, but it seems to be demanded more and more within the mech community.
  • Is there any downside to supporting Alps and MX? Many projects don't, I just wondered why if it's possible?
  • Is this likely to be manufactured in Europe? Is there an estimate for the expected cost?
Thanks!

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 06:26:17 »
very interested! :) :)

edit: with 2b, 3b, 4b & 5b there's gonna be an option for another 1u switch between 3b and 4b, right? or how is that thought out to be?
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 July 2017, 06:28:53 by rioc »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 07:37:34 »
Interested in having an Alps board like this!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ptiede

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 15:13:57 »
I'm very interested in both the pcb and plate.

Offline lac29

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 19:28:14 »
This is a really neat layout. I hope it gets more exposure and testing done.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 07:37:22 »
It is definitely an interesting layout, something a bit different, in a good was :)

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 14:44:43 »
This is exciting, you have our full backing for support!
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 15:44:53 »
I like the concept, I'm a definite maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 12:19:37 »
This is exciting, you have our full backing for support!

This is exciting indeed :)

Prices and announcements coming very soon

Offline Auk

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 12:49:53 »
Prices and announcements coming very soon

Will be watching, and although It's probably too far progressed at this point I wondered about the 1u shift being too small - ANSI users often point to the left shift on ISO as being too small and too far to reach. I wanted to ask if you were fixed on the 60% size, or if a variation with wider modifiers had been considered? which would of course mean the width ends up a little nearer 65%.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 13:22:53 »
ANSI users often point to the left shift on ISO as being too small and too far to reach. I wanted to ask if you were fixed on the 60% size, or if a variation with wider modifiers had been considered? which would of course mean the width ends up a little nearer 65%.

This is definitely intended for a 60% case.

The Katana60 is different enough from a conventional layout, that a 1u shift key will really be the least challenging thing to get used to.

I'd like to re-emphasise that last phrase: '...get used to' - you will get used to the layout after a while, just as ergodox users got used to their wildly unconventional layout, and Planck users theirs.

I think with layouts such as these, a certain willingness to discard what came before is almost a pre-requisite.

Full-disclosure: I've been an ISO user all my life ;)

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 16:20:02 »
Finally, an update. Sit tight, it's a big one...

Compatibility
The last prototype came in and I think the board is ready. I spotted some overlaps which lead to some changes to the compatibility. The board will now support standard MX keysets primarily, and there is an AEKii keyset compatible layout also built in to the board. I have dropped the Matias keyset compatibility. Check it out the final compatibility on KLE:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2c5fbe25d69beb177f9701989bd6f36c

Or Here:
More

Some filing is necessary...
To be fully compatible with a standard 60% case. Take a look at this image, where I overlayed the Katana60 layout with the standard PCB mount holes (suggested by the online plate-builder tool):

Hole number 3 in the middle is exactly under a switch. The problem is solved, with no issue, by filing the switch down a little:

http://imgur.com/a/FCNFF

Group buy announcement: There will be no group buy, but...
...instead, the PCB and plate will be available to buy from CandyKeys.com. I met David from CandyKeys at a meetup in Vienna and we discussed the project. He is as enthusiastic about the Katana60 project as I am, so I'm proud announce that we will be working together to bring the Katana60 to the community.

The Switch Plate
This is what it will look like. It will support all the layouts in the compatibility section above. It will be 1.5mm, and I believe it will be brushed steel (David, can you please confirm that).

Finally, Prices
We are awaiting final quotes from various places, but early indications point to favourable prices relative to existing 60% PCBs. This is where it helps to have CandyKeys on board, since they can afford to stock a larger quantity than we could expect to get in a GB, which heps us all!

More to follow in the comming days...

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 16:21:37 »
Oh! I forgot to add these galleries!:

Katana60 Shots (with GMK Coniferous)
http://imgur.com/a/Q3YNs

and

Katana60 with JTK orange on white.
http://imgur.com/a/MMLiB

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 August 2017, 16:31:08 by RominRonin »

Offline Trente

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 16:53:12 »
Finally, an update. Sit tight, it's a big one...

Nice !

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 21:25:54 »
Wow, you know what I love about this?

Its like 80% of what the X-Bows keyboard does:

...but in a standard 60% footprint with 100% keycap compatibility, none of that curvy-wavy never-gonna-find-keycaps that fit nonsense.

I'm really looking forward to building one ;D

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 06:10:20 »
Wow, you know what I love about this?

Its like 80% of what the X-Bows keyboard does:

(Attachment Link)

...but in a standard 60% footprint with 100% keycap compatibility, none of that curvy-wavy never-gonna-find-keycaps that fit nonsense.

I'm really looking forward to building one ;D

We are as excited as you are :) Details coming soon on release date and pricing. We will be offering full kits too.

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 22:08:57 »
 look great

Offline Trente

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 02:27:51 »
Curious how things are going now? I think CandyKeys is a bit busy on GMK Ellipse these days.

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 04:29:57 »
Curious how things are going now? I think CandyKeys is a bit busy on GMK Ellipse these days.

Not busy at all! We are working hard on CAD drawings for the KATANA case which BTW looks AMAZING.

The PCBs are complete, they will be shipped by the end of the week. The Plate prototype pictures are coming soon, we are picking the plates up this week or next week as well. Then the case will take about 3 weeks or more depending on how it goes.

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 04:31:57 »
Update -

We will be offering the product in the following formats -

- Kit
- Plate
- PCB
- Case
- Complete Keyboard

You will be able to select the keyboard with a range of BOX and Speed Kaihl Switches, Gateron Switches and eventually hopefully coming Cherry switches. Prices are still to be confirmed.