Author Topic: Standing Desk - Swole Feet & Ankles  (Read 19865 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Standing Desk - Swole Feet & Ankles
« on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 07:16:31 »
I can sleep now. Totally worth it IMHO. A few weeks ago I said to myself, "Hey, maybe I can throw together a standing desk with some stuff I have laying around the house." I slept really well that night so I kept standing. Plus I was able to match a popular standing desk height (42-43in) so why not? The only problem is my feet and ankles are still swelling. Last night I elevated my feet as I slept and that helped out considerably. I'll go see a doctor if my feet turn blue. They're not blue atm so I think I'm good. Anyone else have the same experience? I'm totally building a standing desk (maybe 44-45in) with room for a stool to slide underneath (I use a stool for stand/sit atm). It seems like women write about this problem more often than men because of difference in shoes. Maybe I tie my boots too tight? Maybe my heels are too tall? Maybe I should sit more than 30-60mins per day?

You guys experience this too?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Standing Desk - Swole Feet & Ankles
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 07:19:58 »
You need --wider-- shoes.

Normal shoes typically do now allow the feet to spread outward naturally.

Your weight will influence the degree to which it's compressed.

Easiest is Sandals.. but if you're at work..  maybe have a pair of sandals for IN your cubicle, and the regular shoe for leaving the cubicle..

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 07:24:06 »
You have to move around with a standing desk. Adjust your position, do some leg lifts (bonus amazing calf muscles), step away for a minute, and so on.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 07:29:48 »

Easiest is Sandals.. but if you're at work..  maybe have a pair of sandals for IN your cubicle, and the regular shoe for leaving the cubicle..

I wear EEE Lugz man. I hope I don't need wider shoes :(

You have to move around with a standing desk. Adjust your position, do some leg lifts (bonus amazing calf muscles), step away for a minute, and so on.

I started doing this today. I'm feeling a bit more circulation, especially in my calf muscles

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 07:39:57 »

Well then do this.. take your feet,  while seated, put it on a piece of paper..  now put as much weight on it as you can with your muscles..

Trace it out..

Compare that to the interior dimension of your shoe , especially the front where your toes begin- and ends..

That part is typically the cause of the problem. while standing.. because it's wider -naturally,   than you think. 

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 11:43:59 »

Well then do this.. take your feet,  while seated, put it on a piece of paper..  now put as much weight on it as you can with your muscles..

Trace it out..

Compare that to the interior dimension of your shoe , especially the front where your toes begin- and ends..

That part is typically the cause of the problem. while standing.. because it's wider -naturally,   than you think.

I totally get why people wear Birkenstocks now. Tracing my feet sounds like way too much work

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 11:58:15 »

This.  The idea is not to stay in one position for the entire session.  Changing that to standing just changes your problems.  Also, you might want to get a mat.  It's a world of difference since I got mine.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJT547K/

A good article on some of the things people do wrong with standing desks: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-things-youre-wrong-standing-desk/

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 12:25:34 »

This.  The idea is not to stay in one position for the entire session.  Changing that to standing just changes your problems.  Also, you might want to get a mat.  It's a world of difference since I got mine.

A good article on some of the things people do wrong with standing desks: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-things-youre-wrong-standing-desk/

Some good tips in that article. My shoes are made of that squishy non-skid rubber that might as well be an anti-fatigue mat but an actual mat wouldn't hurt. Maybe I'll get a mat with chili peppers on it or something like that. Kitchy but spicy at the same time.

Offline Robotical

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 13:37:27 »

Some good tips in that article. My shoes are made of that squishy non-skid rubber that might as well be an anti-fatigue mat but an actual mat wouldn't hurt. Maybe I'll get a mat with chili peppers on it or something like that. Kitchy but spicy at the same time.

Uline also has some decent mats: https://www.uline.com/BL_1752/Cadillac-Mats. We use them in areas where we have to spend extended amounts of time standing.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:21:36 »

Linus, is that you?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:23:35 »
Oorr.... alternatively... admit that standing desks were a bad idea and go back to sitting!

Sounds like a nice project and all, but I really believe that standing desks are bed for yah. Locking up your knees, bad for your veins, restricting blood flow. Why? I can only think of marketing invented the standing desk nothing more.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:35:34 »
I'm seconding on Robotical's suggestion for anti-fatique mats.  I'd also suggest that you find excuses to walk around the building, or even just go for a walk around the building.  Can you take your shoes off at work for a bit of variety? (although the height difference might be too much). 
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline swangful

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:39:52 »
Oorr.... alternatively... admit that standing desks were a bad idea and go back to sitting!

Sounds like a nice project and all, but I really believe that standing desks are bed for yah. Locking up your knees, bad for your veins, restricting blood flow. Why? I can only think of marketing invented the standing desk nothing more.

Anything used improperly can be bad for you. I built my own standing desk for $14 and I can never go back to a normal desk.
As you stated, people dont do it properly...
  • Locking their knees
  • Not moving around
  • Not having good posture

Do yourself a favor and try it in its correct form. Something like this

This allows you to
- build it to YOUR height
- Arms bent at a correct angle to allow for no wrist pains
- Your eyes looking straight forward instead of down or up
- and just get a tall stool if you feel like sitting

Think about it this way....
Laying down. We generally sleep for 7-8 hours a day. That leaves us with 16-17 hours left.
Sitting. We work 8 hours a day. We are sitting for 8 hours. 8-9 hours remain.
Sitting. Commuting to and from work is generally 1 hour to 2 hours. 6-7 hours remaind.
Sitting. We eat dinner, watch tv, play some video games, hobbies for the remainder.

Do you even stand for more than 2 hours a day? How is that healthy?
We evolved to be standing, moving, running. Not sitting on our ass for 20+ hours.

Of course this can be different if you work at a job that requires physical labor, but I assume since you are into MK's you probably are not in that field.

EDIT: Forgot to reply to OP...if you are just starting out the standing desk habit, that is kind of expected. You do not have to stand all day.
Definitely make sure to sit or move around until you feel more and more comfortable standing for longer durations. Ease into it :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:43:46 by swangful »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:43:39 »
Get some Ultra Boosts and you'll want to stand all day ;)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:50:37 »

Anything used improperly can be bad for you. I built my own standing desk for $14 and I can never go back to a normal desk.
  • Locking their knees
  • Not moving around

Show Image

This allows you to

Laying down. We generally sleep for 7-8 hours a day. That leaves us with 16-17 hours left.
Sitting. Commuting to and from work is generally 1 hour to 2 hours. 6-7 hours remaind.
Sitting. We eat dinner, watch tv, play some video games, hobbies for the remainder.

We evolved to be standing, moving, running. Not sitting on our ass for 20+ hours.

Of course this can be different if you work at a job that requires physical labor, but I assume since you are into MK's you probably are not in that field.

EDIT: Forgot to reply to OP...if you are just starting out the standing desk habit, that is kind of expected. You do not have to stand all day.
Definitely make sure to sit or move around until you feel more and more comfortable standing for longer durations. Ease into it :D

Good points made, looks like a nice clever setup.

It's funnty... there is this Dutch saying "het is niet zitten of staan, maar liggen of gaan". Which loosely translates as "you shouldn't sit or stand, but lay down or move".

Offline swangful

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 01:30:47 »

• Locking their knees
  • Not moving around

Show Image

This allows you to

Good points made, looks like a nice clever setup.

It's funnty... there is this Dutch saying "het is niet zitten of staan, maar liggen of gaan". Which loosely translates as "you shouldn't sit or stand, but lay down or move".

That is a great saying. Now if only I could pronounce it :P

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 04:55:43 »

• Locking their knees
  • Not moving around

Show Image

This allows you to

I like to sleep. That's why I do it; not because standing desks are 'trending'. I'll have to do a mockup of the desk to make sure the monitor mounting is eye level. That setup looks so comfy :)

I'm seconding on Robotical's suggestion for anti-fatique mats.  I'd also suggest that you find excuses to walk around the building, or even just go for a walk around the building.  Can you take your shoes off at work for a bit of variety? (although the height difference might be too much). 

Some years ago my boss had one of those Uline catalogs sitting around. I was monitoring a server that was connected to a bunch of parimutuel wagering terminals and only needed to 'work' whenever there was an error or a phone call; so I had some time to kill. I could look at that catalog and the many boxes it contained for hours on end. I forgot about those mats! They can span the length of the desk and then some! I actually don't like to take my shoes off when I'm in a public space for some reason. Not because of smells. I just like to have my shoes on.

Get some Ultra Boosts and you'll want to stand all day ;)

Maybe some Janoski MAXs :D

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 09:14:41 »
I like to sleep. That's why I do it; not because standing desks are 'trending'.

Exactly.  I do it because my doctor recommended it for blood flow.  And he basically told me that I shouldn't do it all the time- I just shouldn't sit for hours at a time without movement.  And I started working at home, so was even more sedentary.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 09:52:15 »
Man I need to see about switching to using a standing desk at least part of the time....I'm sitting for a minimum 12 hours a day.... ???

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 10:12:06 »
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 17:39:34 »
Tp4 is standing right now...

Can feel better Chi Flow..

I am channeling it @ the screen right now,  ya'llz feelin' it ?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 21:14:37 »
OP are you standing all day? Everything in moderation, should alternate between sitting/standing, take breaks to walk around, etc.

Staying in any one position, sitting or standing, for prolonged periods isn't good and will cause repetitive strain.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 01:12:52 »
Tp4 is standing right now...

Can feel better Chi Flow..

I am channeling it @ the screen right now,  ya'llz feelin' it ?

(Attachment Link)

Aww my gaawd. I CAN FEEL IT. It's it's... so intense! TP TAI CHI MAN.

But yeah... at my office we are also being fed standing desks with a motor to heighten / lower them. They also have a memory function so that you can save 3 positions. Aside from often changing position, they also gave us these "sitting bikes"...

IF I WANT TO SPORT I GO OUT AND SPORT. WTF. Seriously.

And now my colleagues who are lazy as hell are like "oh I already had my exercise via my sitting bike". And there I am.. racing cyclist for sports hobby. Doing my 50-60 km rounds. And there you have lazy colleague who did one or two cycles and is obese as hell "I sport now".

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 06:14:26 »

And now my colleagues who are lazy as hell are like "oh I already had my exercise via my sitting bike". And there I am.. racing cyclist for sports hobby. Doing my 50-60 km rounds. And there you have lazy colleague who did one or two cycles and is obese as hell "I sport now".

If you look at the people around you from the perspectives of the Organizers.. 

That's exactly what they want,  sedentary individuals who are locked into a lifestyle they can not escape..

Being too fat, too docile, too complacent to challenge authority.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 06:56:36 »
OP are you standing all day? Everything in moderation, should alternate between sitting/standing, take breaks to walk around, etc.

Staying in any one position, sitting or standing, for prolonged periods isn't good and will cause repetitive strain.

I slept so well after the first day though :'(  I'm getting better at alternating between stand/sit. Yesterday wasn't so bad

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 16:02:03 »

I slept so well after the first day though :'(  I'm getting better at alternating between stand/sit. Yesterday wasn't so bad

What? What does sleeping have to do with it? I don't understand..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 17:41:02 »

I stood on my feet. My body became tired. I now fall asleep without the need for pills. It's pretty simple.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:32:06 »

I stood on my feet. My body became tired. I now fall asleep without the need for pills. It's pretty simple.

That's amazing, great that works for you.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:39:17 »

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Indeed. :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:55:43 »

Only thing that gets me into sleep when I don't manage to somehow is meditation, listening to rain / thunderstorm sounds, and 2-3 alcoholic beverages.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:26:14 »

Only thing that gets me into sleep when I don't manage to somehow is meditation, listening to rain / thunderstorm sounds, and 2-3 alcoholic beverages.

Rain and thunderstorm sounds cause me to think of tornados :-\  Alcohol keeps me up too lol. I have problems

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:43:16 »

Alcohol keeps me up too lol.

You just haven't drank enough..   /rookie mistake..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:59:02 »
If I drink too much I puke I don't 'black out' lol.

Anyway, ankles are back to normal now. I guess my feet just need to get use to being used again. I want to thank everyone that provided helpful advice and criticism :thumb:

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:25:09 »
2-3 alcoholic beverages.
That's a terrible idea, because of withdrawal symptoms after the initial phase or two.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:16:58 »

2-3 alcoholic beverages.

Yea that. !! hahahahah

not to late though... like... go sleep 23:00, drink 21:00-21:30.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:17:54 »

Rain and thunderstorm sounds cause me to think of tornados :-\  Alcohol keeps me up too lol. I have problems

Yeah we don't have tornados here so.. 1 alcoholic beverage actually works a bit like coffee. only after 2 or more you become to feel more relaxed. but yeah.. finding things helping you to sleep is a *****.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:18:43 »
2-3 alcoholic beverages.
That's a terrible idea, because of withdrawal symptoms after the initial phase or two.

yeah it's a pretty terrible idea. Ideally, I don't want to drink alcohol. I become used to it too quickly. I really have to watch that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:36:50 »

Anyway, ankles are back to normal now. I guess my feet just need to get use to being used again. I want to thank everyone that provided helpful advice and criticism :thumb:

ur drinking the wrong stuff..

Straight vodka..  2 seconds   4shots... boom...  great sleep in 5 to 10 minutes.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:46:22 »
2-3 alcoholic beverages.

yeah it's a pretty terrible idea. Ideally, I don't want to drink alcohol. I become used to it too quickly. I really have to watch that.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If alcoholism, well, drinking alcohol before bedtime is a bad idea regardless—for a variety of reasons, ranging from metabolic to brain activity. Even the "falling asleep faster" point means breaking the circadian rhythm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_use_and_sleep
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:47:59 by davkol »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:49:46 »

Straight vodka..  2 seconds   4shots... boom...  great sleep in 5 to 10 minutes.

Lord, someone teach tp4 how to drink properly. Vodka is weak sauce. Since we're on the topic; if I had the choice of 5-8 shots of whiskey and stay up all night, or stand at a desk all day and go to sleep at a decent hour, I choose standing at a desk lol.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:25:35 »

TP... must have so many friends coz his style. i like. but for me its not vodka but cognac. or "coonieejaacc" like my bros in the hood like to call it.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:27:12 »
2-3 alcoholic beverages.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If alcoholism, well, drinking alcohol before bedtime is a bad idea regardless—for a variety of reasons, ranging from metabolic to brain activity. Even the "falling asleep faster" point means breaking the circadian rhythm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_use_and_sleep

Interesting... wasn't aware of these research findings. Thanks!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:29:02 »

TP... must have so many friends coz his style. i like. but for me its not vodka but cognac. or "coonieejaacc" like my bros in the hood like to call it.

Contrary to popular belief.  Tp4 haz literally  0x afk friends..   sigh...........

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:38:23 »

Contrary to popular belief.  Tp4 haz literally  0x afk friends..   sigh...........

You should move TP! You're clearly in the wrong hood just sayin.. But yeah afk besides my GF and one BFF I also have 0 afk friends for some reason. wtfs up with that

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:51:30 »

You should move TP! You're clearly in the wrong hood just sayin.. But yeah afk besides my GF and one BFF I also have 0 afk friends for some reason. wtfs up with that

day fraid of our sheer power..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 16:54:15 »
Had to re-adjusted the desk to ~45in (~114cm) to alleviate some shoulder pain. Man, this standing desk stuff is risky business :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 17:23:19 »
Had to re-adjusted the desk to ~45in (~114cm) to alleviate some shoulder pain. Man, this standing desk stuff is risky business :cool:

elbows should hang naturally @ ur sides.. the surface which holds up the keyboard should be 2-2.5 inches below your elbows..

And the keyboard should be tented to 55 degrees if possible.. 60-70 if you add counterweights.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 17:27:36 »

elbows should hang naturally @ ur sides.. the surface which holds up the keyboard should be 2-2.5 inches below your elbows..

And the keyboard should be tented to 55 degrees if possible.. 60-70 if you add counterweights.

Come over here and pay for my massages and I'll re-adjusted based on your specs. I dislike massages about as much as I dislike paying for them.

Offline riktors

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 23:13:52 »
Definitely recommend a mat. I tend to minimize issues with a motorize sit/stand desk but even if I'm just standing for the afternoon or something the mat makes a notable difference. Especially in some of my work shoes which are not as comfortable in the arch. Also spent a little while experimenting with some minor height adjustments to make sure my shoulders were comfortable as well. It does take a bit of work to learn exactly where you need everything to be.