Author Topic: (Apparently) NIB Chicony KB-5181, vintage MX Blues, $75 shipped  (Read 2284 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
(Apparently) NIB Chicony KB-5181, vintage MX Blues, $75 shipped
« on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 20:05:11 »
Vintage Chicony KB-5181 Enhanced Keyboard X-A

$60.00 + $15.00 U.S. shipping.

The seller doesn't say it, but this looks unused to me (notice un-smudged feet and cable). No, they're not the heaviest boards ever, but these switches are divine IMHO, and NIB examples rarely appear.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

Re: (Apparently) NIB Chicony KB-5181, vintage MX Blues, $75 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 07:18:34 »
Definitely not NIB but still very nice. You can see the discoloration in the picture where someone rested their hands while typing. More like gently used with box. Vintage Cherry blues are on my list of switches to try out.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 11:02:03 »
A nice find and all, and worth it for the switches alone, probably. Just do keep in mind that the seller lists it as "as-is, not working". The seller claims to have not tested it, but it seems unlikely to me that someone who trades that heavily in vintage electronic hardware wouldn't have an AT->ps2 adapter lying around to test with. It could definitely be the case that he doesn't have one since he doesn't trade in vintage computer gear primarily, but it still strikes me as odd given the seller.

So long as you're okay with possibly receiving a nonfunctional board, you should be fine. It's worth it in parts, could be fine (or easily repairable), or just nice to hang on the wall to look at while sipping sherry and reminiscing about the "good old days" with some greybeards. :)

Offline cribbit

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 01:53:31 »
What's the difference in vintage blues and dark blues?
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 02:34:18 »
What's the difference in vintage blues and dark blues?

The dark blues are more formal.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg