Author Topic: Cherry MX Purple?  (Read 11689 times)

Offline MGMorden

Cherry MX Purple?
« on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 10:03:09 »
Noticed an eBay listing last night for "Ultra Rare Cherry MX Purple" switches supposedly remove from a NOS keyboard, but for the life of me I can't find references to a "Cherry MX Purple" switch anywhere on the net.  Did someone just swap zealio stems into Cherry housings or something?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-Purple-Cherry-Mx-Switch-1-piece/162911525305?_trkparms=pageci%3Ad6cea9d5-197b-11e8-84e2-74dbd1803ee4%7Cparentrq%3Ac88b59181610a9c4dec20879fff5623b%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Cherry MX Purple?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 10:35:09 »
Noticed an eBay listing last night for "Ultra Rare Cherry MX Purple" switches supposedly remove from a NOS keyboard, but for the life of me I can't find references to a "Cherry MX Purple" switch anywhere on the net.  Did someone just swap zealio stems into Cherry housings or something?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-Purple-Cherry-Mx-Switch-1-piece/162911525305?_trkparms=pageci%3Ad6cea9d5-197b-11e8-84e2-74dbd1803ee4%7Cparentrq%3Ac88b59181610a9c4dec20879fff5623b%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

Hrrrmm..

I only buy old switches if they're salvaged professionally with desoldering gun / suction

I've been burned so many times, with bad internals due to switches that has been heated too long.

Offline Purp

• Banned
  • the colour, not the weed
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 10:51:09 »
I had read of Cherry MX Purple switches in the past, but couldn't find any sources to link today for some reason... However, I strongly believe this is the case:

Did someone just swap zealio stems into Cherry housings or something?

« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2018, 18:35:33 by Purp »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 11:27:54 »
those are pretty clearly zealios in cherry housings
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 12:35:10 »
Thanks guys.  I wasn't really interested in them for use in a board but I like to get oddball variants for switch testers but was skeptical that these were actually a rare switch type.
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 14:31:40 »

how do you confirm that ?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:01:23 »
They are definitely Zealio stems.

You can tell the difference between Cherry and Gateron stems from the cutout for the sprue mark on the stem. Zealios have a shorter cutout while Cherry switches have a longer one.

The ones shown on the listing also have a shorter cutout.

Sorry for the ****ty MS Paint science  :))
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:05:56 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:09:56 »

You can tell the difference between Cherry and Gateron stems from the cutout for the sprue mark on the stem. Zealios have a shorter cutout while Cherry switches have a longer one.

Show Image

Show Image

But, I can't imagine him going through with this just to make $ 2 a switch..  well.. i guess it is easier than flippn' patties..

So, the seller must have a surplus of switch housings, or salvaged mx blues or something..

Then he'd buy zealios stems in bulk..

Was there a groupbuy for the purple stems ?

Maybe we can find this person. hahahaha

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:18:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

But, I can't imagine him going through with this just to make $ 2 a switch..  well.. i guess it is easier than flippn' patties..

So, the seller must have a surplus of switch housings, or salvaged mx blues or something..

I'm guessing he put some Cherry stems in Zealio housings (Zilents maybe?) and he's trying to sell the leftover parts. The pricing is odd, had I found some uber rare Cherry MX Purples I would sell them for a lot more than $2/sw  :))
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:54:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

could be from krelbit's cherry MX Zilent GB, he made 400 of them and sold them since he used the other **** for the mx zilents
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 16:51:21 »
I have to agree with everybody that these are not authentic. Also i think they could be something even cheaper than Zealio stems in Cherry housings. Now that we have switches such as Outemu ICE purples/dark purples & Kahil Pro purples. I could see it being profitable at $2 a switch if someone had a bunch of Cherry housings laying around, decided to order a batch of one or the other to swap the stems into them, & run this ruse.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:38:17 »
As this guy bought zealio switches he is probably part of the community, sad to see that such a person tries to scam people on ebay. I hope that somebody in the US reports this to the police and also to ebay, stop this ******* scamers!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:47:42 »
As this guy bought zealio switches he is probably part of the community, sad to see that such a person tries to scam people on ebay. I hope that somebody in the US reports this to the police and also to ebay, stop this ******* scamers!

Calm down guys... The scam is unconfirmed..  let's not jump to =bloody murder= just yet..

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:06:44 »

Calm down guys... The scam is unconfirmed..  let's not jump to =bloody murder= just yet..

Is there a reason you always type in a big ass font?
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:20:56 »
Someone should humor him. It's just $2 right? Not me though

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 04:25:15 »
Yes, the housing's the giveaway. There aren't MX Purples that I know of, but MX Scarlets have been spotted:

189656-0
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 05:09:25 »
Yes, the housing's the giveaway. There aren't MX Purples that I know of, but MX Scarlets have been spotted:

(Attachment Link)

are these legit?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 07:30:01 »

(Attachment Link)

are these legit?

The cross mount on the stem looks slightly smaller than usual, so I'm guessing it's a Hirose switch. We know very little about Hirose switches, even the most common ones are pretty rare, so it could well be genuine.

It could also be someone who found a stash of Hirose clears and died the stems just to mess with us  :))

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 08:35:07 »
Could be Outemu also. Those are redder than in the picture but you can't trust colours in a picture.
Kailh purple have the notch facing the LED, so it can't be them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 08:40:45 by Findecanor »

Offline Deefenestrate

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 08:48:50 »

(Attachment Link)

are these legit?

I spy photoshop

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 13:09:58 »

(Attachment Link)

are these legit?

it's a hirose that's been photoshopped

Offline Ruskie

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:13:40 »
Those are just cheerios that someone is trying to scalp people for. I bought one of those just to see what it was, and it is just a zealio stem in a cherry vintage black housing. Dont get me wrong, its a nice switch, but you could easily do the same thing for a dollar. Not vintage apart from the housing, and not AT ALL rare.
Ive got myself a beefy boi

-Alf F62PE
-PCB Mount ZealV2 67g
-GMK KA1953 "OG Classic Retro"

8 pounds of clack