Author Topic: Does anyone here play golf?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline JP

Does anyone here play golf?
« on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 15:32:04 »
Just had a golf lesson today. It was fun but was woefully under prepared. I was using a 20 year old set with some really bad grips where the rubber was dried out. Despite this I got to borrow some high end clubs and the difference was immediate. Looking forward to doing some more practice once I get a newer set of clubs < $300. Does anyone here golf? This is another expensive hobby like anything else I guess. Less than $300 for a full set or pay $250 for a single club in some cases  :))
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Does anyone here play golf?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 15:42:15 »
I play Mario Golf on the GBC.

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 15:46:07 »
I also play golf on Wii!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 16:08:26 »
I was fortunate to learn as a teenager so I have good ingrained muscle memory. But unfortunately these days years go by between rounds for me.

The best bang for your buck for a set of clubs is probably at a pawn shop (or possibly even a thrift store if your timing is excellent), unless you are determined to have the "latest and greatest." in that case I might still go for a knock-off rather than the name brand, certainly for your starter set.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:51:51 »
I play Mario Golf on the GBC.
How about Ninja Golf on the Atari 7800 ?!

As to "golf" with a ball and a set of clubs on a very artificially cultured park land... no thanks!
I have tried putting and mini golf a few times which only got me frustrated and I prefer to avoid direct sunlight.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:54:57 by Findecanor »

Offline JP

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 18:28:46 »
I also do put put golf at the local mall  :))

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 18:54:37 »
Hell ya man. Clubs arent gonna make a huge difference for a long time unless they just dont fit. I'd say get some new grips put on those clubs and keep practicing. Golf is sooo rewarding but also the most frustrating **** I've ever done.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 19:28:41 »
Were unable to haz the fun @ golf until drinking started..

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 19:32:06 »
Hell ya man. Clubs arent gonna make a huge difference for a long time unless they just dont fit. I'd say get some new grips put on those clubs and keep practicing. Golf is sooo rewarding but also the most frustrating **** I've ever done.

:)) So true.

Were unable to haz the fun @ golf until drinking started..

I'm sure there will be a bit of that with the fellows from work. With moderation of course. A few years back though a former coworker drank too much (Jack Daniels), drove home, crashed into a tree and tried running from the police. Lost his license so that screwed up his life for a long while.

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 May 2018, 19:37:00 by JP »

Offline flyingpike

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 21:34:20 »

Agreed, unless you’re really tall or really short, off the rack is fine. Buy used, Craigslist has been good for me in the past, but play it again sports or any golf store or some pro shops at golf courses may have used sets too.

Not sure where you are in lessons or skills, but for the longest time I hit big slices or straight pulls, a video called The Arm Swing Illusion was a big help to me in understanding the basics of a decent swing.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 00:34:59 »
I bought a 3 year old set of used Titleist AP1 clubs... and had them regripped. Thats a great way to get started and get good gear w/o paying a ton. I think they were like $160 for the set on ebay.
-Dana

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:54:29 »
If there's one thing I know about golf - it's that the more you spend on equipment the better you are.  :))

In all seriousness there's a plateau you hit once you have a decent set (try sets and try to get fitted for staff flex), after that practice practice practice pain pain pain.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 16:18:56 »
If there's one thing I know about golf - it's that the more you spend on equipment the better you are.  :))

In all seriousness there's a plateau you hit once you have a decent set (try sets and try to get fitted for staff flex), after that practice practice practice pain pain pain.

Or... switch to Wii golf ?

Offline JP

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 16:45:58 »
I also play Golf With Friends on PC.

Offline Hodgeman

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 18:38:22 »
I got a decent set of clubs handed down to me, they're probably like 10 years old but in good condition. Idk how much a good set would really change my game.

Really golfing for me is just an excuse to get outside with my friends and legally operate a vehicle while intoxicated.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 18:42:33 »
try disc golf, it's cheaper... until you throw your discs in the woods  :))

Offline JP

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 18:54:41 »
I got a decent set of clubs handed down to me, they're probably like 10 years old but in good condition. Idk how much a good set would really change my game.

Really golfing for me is just an excuse to get outside with my friends and legally operate a vehicle while intoxicated.

That is indeed a nice bonus. For now I'm going to stick with my current set but eventually get fitted for clubs before considering a new purchase.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 18:59:14 »
I played a round of golf once. Got a 50 something on a par 4 then threw up from the heat. Later on an old man hit me in the back with a ball. All in all I'd say golf is overrated.

Offline JP

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 19:13:03 »
I played a round of golf once. Got a 50 something on a par 4 then threw up from the heat. Later on an old man hit me in the back with a ball. All in all I'd say golf is overrated.

Yes but with your handicap you are invincible. So you make 150 bad shots but it's the one good shot that makes it worthwhile. Also try playing when it is cooler out or find one of those indoor climate controlled driving ranges.

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 16:04:12 »
I just tried Top Golf for the first time in my life and liked it a lot. Very tiring though

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 12:50:29 »
golf + drinking = better golfing, who cares if you suck you're drunk, takes the pressure off and you play better

golf + sober = getting mad at yourself for sucking and having no fun, start drinking to feel better, see previous statement

disc golf tho, that **** is fun and hella cheap in comparison; only downside is no golf carts
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 June 2018, 12:52:57 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Hongook

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 09:12:46 »
Golfing is probably one of the hardest things I've ever tried learning. I should try picking it up again.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 16:33:12 »
golf + drinking = better golfing, who cares if you suck you're drunk, takes the pressure off and you play better

golf + sober = getting mad at yourself for sucking and having no fun, start drinking to feel better, see previous statement

disc golf tho, that **** is fun and hella cheap in comparison; only downside is no golf carts

truths

Offline meepmeep

• meep meep meep, meep meep meep. Meep!
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 17:08:59 »
I am not really into golf, but Ive been thinking about getting into it.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 17:09:38 »
Check out ebay for someone unloading a whole set of clubs with bag.  I picked up a set for my Dad a couple years back for about $300 shipped. 

Try to find clubs that were used by someone close to your height, it makes a big difference.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2