Author Topic: [GB] SA Retro [Closed]  (Read 530106 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Re: [GB] SA Retro
« Reply #650 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:11:08 »
Compared to you guys, I'm extremely confused

But I'm guessing we are looking for different things too, I'm looking for "the one", one keyboard, one keyset; to lock the muscle memories with
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #651 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:17:03 »
Compared to you guys, I'm extremely confused

But I'm guessing we are looking for different things too, I'm looking for "the one", one keyboard, one keyset; to lock the muscle memories with

I gave up of finding "the one". It does not exist, there are way too many great sets and keyboards out there to limit my self to just one.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #652 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:22:17 »
"The One" is whatever I wake up in the morning feeling like using. Today's a Cherry MX Clear day. Yesterday was a Topre 55g day.

However, with so many keyboards, I've found it immensely helpful to pick on one standard layout. TKL is my favorite here.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #653 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 09:29:35 »
"The One" is whatever I wake up in the morning feeling like using. Today's a Cherry MX Clear day. Yesterday was a Topre 55g day.

However, with so many keyboards, I've found it immensely helpful to pick on one standard layout. TKL is my favorite here.

It's interesting to learn

I've recently built 2 keyboards with GMK's, same layout, one with lubed clears, the other one with modded green's, even the switch type difference is enough to throw me off, so at least I was able to eliminate clicky switches for good

The scoops is on my nerves tho, that's why I like SP keysets/GB's, as they almost always include flat F/J's for brute typists like me
But only the SA's are actually of good quality, DSA's are ok too, however their DCS's are ...

I'm sure this set will swoop everyone off their feet too, worst case scenario (best case for me) - I can post pictures thursday of the extra keys I got
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #654 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 14:46:41 »
I'm such a tease

Offline blastoid

« Reply #655 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 15:00:25 »
:drool:

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #656 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 15:13:55 »
a lovely darkness

Offline spacemonkey001

« Reply #657 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 17:48:50 »
Hi,

I'd love to get a Retro Burgundy and a Dvorak/Colemak set if anyone has extra to sell. Also I apologize if this isn't the place to ask for extras but I'm pretty new here.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #658 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 18:11:10 »
Ahhhh I want to see the PETSCII so bad  :p

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #659 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:04:28 »
Ahhhh I want to see the PETSCII so bad  :p

yeah i cant wait to see how that comes out
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline potatowire

« Reply #660 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:22:46 »
I'm such a tease

Show Image

I am so excited! Looks amazing!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #661 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:54:40 »
I'm such a tease

Show Image

Too right.

The anxiousness when waiting for his first design to roll out of SP's molds is always the best time.

Like seeing your new partner's lips around your ______, the sight and feeling is beyond any reasonable description.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #662 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 20:15:28 »
Was that really necessary?  :mad:

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #663 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 21:04:41 »
I'm such a tease

Show Image

Too right.

The anxiousness when waiting for his first design to roll out of SP's molds is always the best time.

Like seeing your new partner's lips around your ______, the sight and feeling is beyond any reasonable description.

Okay, who let TP4 take over Elrick's keyboard...hehe
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #664 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 00:29:42 »
I love that orange!

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #665 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 01:34:43 »
Nice! Excited to dress up my minila with these goodness!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #666 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 03:03:36 »
I made the switch to GMK's, but really tempted to attempt SA's again with this layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/95eb37bd05f9c2bcb0e4

My suggestion: Split the spacebar and get your thumbs in on the action instead of your pinkies:

Code: [Select]
[{c:"#121210",t:"#fcfcfc",a:7},"Esc",{c:"#525249",t:"#fffafa",a:5},"!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{c:"#1c1c1a",t:"#ededed",a:7,w:2},"← Backspace"],
[{c:"#0f0f0e",t:"#fafafa",f:9,w:1.5},"↹",{c:"#525249",f:3},"Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P",{a:5},"{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\"],
[{c:"#141413",t:"#fcfcfc",a:7,w:1.75},"Control",{c:"#525249",t:"#fff7f7"},"A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",{a:5},":\n;","\"\n'",{c:"#1c1c1a",t:"#dbdbdb",a:7,w:2.25},"↵ Enter"],
[{x:0.25,c:"#141413",t:"#fcfcfc",w:2},"⇧ Shift",{c:"#525249"},"Z","X","C","V","B","N","M",{a:5},"<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{x:0.75,c:"#1c1c1a",a:7},"↑"],
[{x:0.25,c:"#141413",w:1.5},"Alt",{x:2,t:"#e0d1d1",w:1.5},"",{c:"#525249",w:1.5},"Fn",{w:1.5},"",{c:"#171714",w:1.5},"",{x:2.25,c:"#1c1c1a",t:"#fcfcfc"},"←","↓","→"]

Blank Row 2 1.5x caps on the bottom row for the thumbs to feel at home on. I put "Fn" on the key I would assign to my Fn layer, but it depends which thumb you "space" with. You could also map backspace, del, tab or whatever you find convenient there. It means you may have to get an ErgoDox kit to support the layout, but I think it's worth it...

So hyped to see the samples of this set! Ah, yisssss!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #667 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 03:05:40 »
This is looking good Matt3o !
Excited to try SA.

For for doing Inter layouts Matt3o !
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #668 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 05:23:57 »
This is looking good Matt3o !
Excited to try SA.

Just like the man himself  8)

When these start coming out of SP into CTRL/ALT's premises, you'll see some really HOT key-set combo's designed to drive every keyboard nerd into a frenzy  :o .

Offline pkircher

« Reply #669 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 06:14:56 »
id like to see some green and red as well and of course currious about petscii

Offline pkircher

« Reply #670 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:02:35 »
btw .. if anyone is currious how SA fits on a kinesis advantage .. i got a round 5 on it ..

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #671 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:06:37 »

Wow. That looks great! I thought I was going to give my orange keys away. Not any more...

I love that orange!

Show Image

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #672 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:26:15 »
soon

Offline harlw

« Reply #673 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:32:51 »
I love that orange!

Show Image

*grunts*

mmmHMM!
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline KeyZero

• Lovin' clear keys
« Reply #674 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:45:16 »
Any luck if these will be on sale again soon?
KBV60 (Clear) User

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #675 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:51:20 »
DAMNNNN those oranges! Kinda wish I got them... even though the plan for my Retro is a 60%. That wallet hack regret :(

Any luck if these will be on sale again soon?

I guess all things are possible, buy somewhere Matt3o said it was probably a one time thing.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #676 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:58:38 »
I love that orange!

Show Image

I'm still dying to see the PETSCII keys...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #677 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 10:28:04 »
I am down for the looks of it, but I can't wait to type on them...

Offline micr0n

« Reply #678 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:22:46 »
I love that orange!

Show Image

Any body else looked at the double shot on these caps.  These are going to be some nice solid and hefty keys to use. 

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #679 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:36:27 »
Those oranges as modifiers + those greys as alphas would make an awesome combination :)

They're both extremely impressive, their glares are just beautiful, so pale

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #680 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 11:54:52 »
I love that orange!

Show Image

Any body else looked at the double shot on these caps.  These are going to be some nice solid and hefty keys to use. 

Yup... Same as all SA profile caps (except the thinner PBT 1x ones). Solid and lovely  :thumb:
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #681 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 13:04:07 »
Yup... Same as all SA profile caps (except the thinner PBT 1x ones). Solid and lovely  :thumb:

SP runs SA in PBT? #acronymsoup

I was pretty sure I'd read that the equipment couldn't handle it for some reason.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #682 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 14:45:28 »

I was pretty sure I'd read that the equipment couldn't handle it for some reason.

Melissa at SP told me officially that they do not make PBT SA caps

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #683 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:32:33 »
Why can't I imagine these into my mail box

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #684 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 19:36:42 »
I love that orange!

Show Image

Show Image

The Glory of the famous SA Profile, brought to you by Signature Plastics  :thumb: .

American Made Muscle in Key-cap Form, don't ever forget that.  Just waiting for the traditional Red, White and Blue Colour-ways to be available at their PMK store front  ;D .

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #685 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 20:44:50 »
love how nice and dark the brown looks

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #686 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 21:17:10 »
Have any of the burgundy/green keys to show off yet?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #687 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 01:05:10 »

Melissa at SP told me officially that they do not make PBT SA caps

They have made blank 1x caps in PBT and they sell them on the store (http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/blank-key-packs/sa-blank-key-packs) in sets of 10, but they don't make them available for full keycap sets. One reason is that they don't make other sizes in PBT (although I do believe they can also make 1.5x), so can't do a full set. They may also have cooling problems when they try to run them in bulk, in which case the reject rate would be too high to make it feasible, even on sets with ABS mods and only alphas in PBT.

I know at least WAN and WAS are light coloured PBT: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_PBT_colours

BFA is a sort of baby blue polycarbonate.
TL = unknown to me at this time, maybe a brown poly?
VBZ = green poly.
YBS = yellow poly.

The polycarbonate colours on these SA caps are "solid", not translucent like the DCS caps they sell.

The second from the left in this pic is an SA PBT cap, so they do certainly exist:

They're thinner than the ABS ones, though, as you can see in the pic. Could be for business reasons that Melissa simply said they can't do them.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #688 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 01:41:43 »
I even have a couple of PBT SA spacebars actually :) but they will deny having made them :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #689 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 02:20:46 »
I even have a couple of PBT SA spacebars actually :) but they will deny having made them :)

Lol! They can't deny making the 1x items they sell on PMK store, though ;)

Could be they were made by Comptec, before they became SP. I suspect they had a lot more molds in use back in the day, now perhaps warehoused, sold or lost.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #690 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 06:01:28 »
108864-0

Optimal layout completed! (JK :)

SA's are pretttty tall compared to DSA's, Cherry's

Offline blastoid

« Reply #691 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 07:47:56 »
Indeed! 1976 was my first foray into SA, and the height was indeed very surprising. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on SA Retro, my first sculpted SA set, with Modern Selectric and Jukebox tailing close behind.

Offline Data

« Reply #692 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 09:03:58 »

Lol! They can't deny making the 1x items they sell on PMK store, though ;)

Could be they were made by Comptec, before they became SP. I suspect they had a lot more molds in use back in the day, now perhaps warehoused, sold or lost.

SP refuses to do doubleshot PBT.  I guess they haven't perfected it yet (or they're just not interested).  Since every SA cap set (so far) seems to have doubleshot legends I wonder if that's not the biggest factor for a lack of SA sets in PBT -- if they can't do the legends then they just won't do them.  But I find it really hard to believe they can't inject PBT (blanks) into the same molds they use for ABS.  The wear on the tooling might be higher because of the higher temps required for PBT, but that's hardly an excuse.  It's not that they can't do it, but that they won't.

Edit: I forgot that shrinkage is a bigger factor with PBT, so maybe they really do require new molds/tooling.  Now I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 09:06:41 by Data »

Offline harlw

« Reply #693 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 09:08:59 »
Indeed! 1976 was my first foray into SA, and the height was indeed very surprising. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on SA Retro, my first sculpted SA set, with Modern Selectric and Jukebox tailing close behind.

I have Retro and Selectric on order too - kind of regretting not ordering Jukebox now that the SA Out of The Vault sets are on the horizon.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline blastoid

« Reply #694 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 09:18:27 »
I can't wait to get my grubby hands on SA Retro, my first sculpted SA set, with Modern Selectric and Jukebox tailing close behind.

I have Retro and Selectric on order too - kind of regretting not ordering Jukebox now that the SA Out of The Vault sets are on the horizon.

Totally off-topic at this point, but I keep flipping back and forth on Carbon, currently running on MassDrop. I really like the set, I really liked it when the initial IC hit. But it would be my fifth SA set, fourth sculpted. Do I really need that many? Plus, I can't bear the thought of skipping the numpad, Dvorak, and novelty child deals for any set I buy, even though I'll likely just stick it on my Pok3r. And that generally puts me over the $150 mark.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #695 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 09:22:37 »
I can't wait to get my grubby hands on SA Retro, my first sculpted SA set, with Modern Selectric and Jukebox tailing close behind.

Totally off-topic at this point, but I keep flipping back and forth on Carbon, currently running on MassDrop. I really like the set, I really liked it when the initial IC hit. But it would be my fifth SA set, fourth sculpted. Do I really need that many? Plus, I can't bear the thought of skipping the numpad, Dvorak, and novelty child deals for any set I buy, even though I'll likely just stick it on my Pok3r. And that generally puts me over the $150 mark.

Your mind and wallet say no.
Your heart and Elrick say YES!

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #696 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 11:32:52 »

Most (maybe all?) SA sets have appreciated in value. PuLSE sets get snatched up immediately @ $200. If you end up with too many, sell your least favorite(s).

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #697 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 11:33:31 »

I'm in the same boat, two great SA sets on the way and now Carbon comes up and I have to decide if I need even more SA in my life. I only have two MX boards! I hear once you start purchasing boards specifically for extra sets that's when the real wallet hack kicks in  ;)

Wasn't a huge fan of Jukebox but I definitely regret not getting in on 1976!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #698 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 11:40:06 »

I bought like 6-8 DSA sets, then decided I don't like DSA and the extreme-variation of fonts SP uses, so I sold most of them, mainly to cleanse myself

SA is better, however, it might be a good idea to make sure you really like SA's before investing too much on SA's

On the other hand, just buy them all from MD, you can sell them easily later on

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #699 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 12:17:30 »

Optimal layout completed! (JK :)

Those arrows look great! Too rich for me, unfortunately. Wish I would have been able to get them.