Author Topic: Protective Covers or alternative keboard suggestions  (Read 2302 times)

Offline AD

Protective Covers or alternative keboard suggestions
« on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 16:49:23 »
I had purchased a Unicomp keyboard about 6 years ago along with the plastic cover they sell for it. Unfortunately, the plastic developed a lot of  holes in it over time, and I spilled water on it, and the right arrow key no longer works. From what I've read, that's a common problem key for spills on Unicomp keyboards. Some of the top number keys also work only intermittently.

I would purchase another but would rather have a tougher plastic cover for it. I know several third parties make covers for certain keyboard models. Does anyone know of any that are more durable and would fit the Unicomp Classic or UltraClassic models?

If not, I'm looking at other models. I wish I could find a Cherry G83-3000 or a G80-3000, but the 3000 series has apparently been long discontinued with the remaining unused models online either being foreign versions or with MY switches which I've read are terrible. I tried a Cherry black switch keyboard, and while I liked it (The other Cherry switches I tried seemed too light), I wouldn't want it any stiffer than that. My Unicomp buckling spring seems less stiff though (and no louder), so I'm not sure I can go by specifications. Actually, I'm okay with a lot of the rubber dome switches, but there seems to be a lot of variation probably based on other factors.

I don't like the compact and low profile designs that are so popular now. I can't stand laptop keyboards. It's too easy to hit the wrong keys, and it's very uncomfortable on my fingers. That's another reason I like some stiffness (comparable to the buckling spring). I'm also not too wild about the black colors, but it's not a deal breaker.

I bought the Unicomp because it was the only new one I could find at that time not made in China. I don't want one made in China.

Anyway, if someone could recommend a thicker protective cover or a source for one of the Cherry 3000 keyboards or even another keyboard, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offline Rad

Re: Protective Covers or alternative keboard suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 17:21:07 »
Saran wrap

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 17:51:05 »
Any time someone mentions a keyboard breaking due to a spill, I have to link them to my waterproof keyboards Massdrop poll.

Anyway, are there really no G80-3000s left on Amazon or eBay? Last time I checked there were a bunch-- though, that was a while ago, admittedly.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 18:01:18 »
Making a cover might be a fun project.

Offline AD

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 03:28:30 »
Thanks, but I haven't found any waterproof keyboards that would meet my needs. It's hard enough to find a conventional keyboard that does. The video for making my own involved shaping a hard plastic. I need something I can type through. I suspect at some point though, I'll be sacrificing the ease of typing with a tougher plastic. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on it and keep re-ordering as it wears.

Plastic wrap would of course be even worse. I do wonder how those holes made their way through the plastic between the grooves between the buttons. Viziflex Seels makes a cover for the Unicomp/Model M. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I did find a G80-3000LPCEU-0 on amazon.de, but I'm not sure about ordering something from another country. Plus, I've kind of gotten used to the Unicomp buckling spring having used nothing else for the past 7 years. The Cherry black switch seemed most comparable though in terms of feel. It was just a bit stiffer.

How would people here compare the quality and durability of the G80-3000 to the Unicomp Classic or Ultra Classic?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 12:36:55 »
Thanks, but I haven't found any waterproof keyboards that would meet my needs. It's hard enough to find a conventional keyboard that does. The video for making my own involved shaping a hard plastic. I need something I can type through. I suspect at some point though, I'll be sacrificing the ease of typing with a tougher plastic. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on it and keep re-ordering as it wears.

Plastic wrap would of course be even worse. I do wonder how those holes made their way through the plastic between the grooves between the buttons. Viziflex Seels makes a cover for the Unicomp/Model M. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I did find a G80-3000LPCEU-0 on amazon.de, but I'm not sure about ordering something from another country. Plus, I've kind of gotten used to the Unicomp buckling spring having used nothing else for the past 7 years. The Cherry black switch seemed most comparable though in terms of feel. It was just a bit stiffer.

How would people here compare the quality and durability of the G80-3000 to the Unicomp Classic or Ultra Classic?
Ok, there is silicone soft covers (Ducky - Mechanicalkeyboards.com) but they wont fit that vintage style case that you want to use. Perhaps you can cast your clear silicone cover? idk how that would work

Edit - Unicomp has protective covers (drop down menu with some options) but Cherry's website does not list your G80-3000 as compatible with their cover. All USA links, hopefully you can find the DE equivalents.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2016, 12:53:55 by csmertx »

Offline AD

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 02:40:50 »

Edit - Unicomp has protective covers (drop down menu with some options) but Cherry's website does not list your G80-3000 as compatible with their cover. All USA links, hopefully you can find the DE equivalents.

Yes, I had purchased Unicomp's cover with my keyboard, and it deteriorated rather quickly, which is how water seeped through it. Of course covers for the Cherry are made by other manufacturers (such as Viziflex and Protect among others). One reason I posted here was to get any suggestions or feedback on those manufacturers.

Of course I'm certainly open to other keyboard models that meet my criteria. I just have yet to find one, and I suspect I'm missing some.