Author Topic: WHY is the HHKB superior?  (Read 50335 times)

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
WHY is the HHKB superior?
« on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 05:48:15 »
Okey, I know there are some threads floating around here, but I wanted to ask a pretty specific question: What about the HHKB's layout is it that makes it superior to all other layouts? Is it only for programmers using specific programs it is so damn good, or is it for all everyday users? I'm extremely intruiged by the keyboard, and I'm really considering jumping straight to it.. after my next paycheck.
However, I'm defo not a programmer, and all I'll be using my KB for is gaming, browsing, typing (I'm a psychology student, AKA I will be writing lots of essay like papers), and just general use.
As always, I know everything is personal preference, but I want to hear your opinions! :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: WHY is the HHKB superior?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 05:56:17 »
its so nice

just try it
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Sagii

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:05:15 »
its so nice

just try it

Haha, would you care to ellaborate? :)) And I'll probably wait 'till I get my Poker 2, and see wether or not I like the 60% formfactor before I decide wether or not to get the HHKB.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:10:51 »
Control placement, backspace/delete placement and aesthetics. The split backspace is awesome for me, because I can use it as apostrophe when I have my language set to Norwegian in my OS.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:11:45 »
Well... I like Ctrl key in place of Caps Lock. it's where it SHOULD be.

And I think you'll like Poker II. It's my work keyboard and I adore it :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Sagii

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:15:43 »
Well... I like Ctrl key in place of Caps Lock. it's where it SHOULD be.

And I think you'll like Poker II. It's my work keyboard and I adore it :)

I'm sure hoping so ! ^^ But thing is, if I like the Poker 2, I might consider going straight to the HHKB.. Give myself an early christmas and birthday present!

Control placement, backspace/delete placement and aesthetics. The split backspace is awesome for me, because I can use it as apostrophe when I have my language set to Norwegian in my OS.

What do you mean by "split backspace" ? O_o that fact that it is primarily a delete, and have to use Fn to use backspace, or?  That's another thing, wouldn't it be annoying to have to press Fn to use backspace, since that's a very commonly used key? Or is there something I've misunderstood?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:17:39 by Sagii »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:17:35 »
 just  buy it it's the best one jfc
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:21:23 »
If you're concerned about 60% layouts, I'm on a 60% now and I use it to go to forums, play games and do pretty much everything on it and I really like it.

Of course, the games I play don't require extensive use of the function keys and all that too

Offline Sagii

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:21:52 »
just  buy it it's the best one jfc

Lol, I like your determination.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:22:19 »
You know where the backspace is on most keyboards, right? On the HHKB there's two 1u keys where the backspace normally is.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:22:22 »
im not determined im just right GOD DANG GET IT HAVE IT OWN IT LOVE IT FRIIIICK

Offline Sagii

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:27:42 »
You know where the backspace is on most keyboards, right? On the HHKB there's two 1u keys where the backspace normally is.

Ahhhhh... NOW I see it.. god damn confusing

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:47:28 »
Well, it's a very well thought out layout and many people who try it love it. Also, they say the Topre switches grow on you and after a while you really like them....

Not me, though. I prefer the layout and switches on my KBT Pure. The disadvantages of the HHKB Pro 2 are that if you don't like the layout or the switch feel you are stuck. With a board like a Poker 2 you can simply reprogram the layout and change / modify the switches as you see fit to get them to feel how you like. Also, you can add / change LED's to get the backlighting how you want. Not to mention the aftermarket case and especially keycap options. you can even program the HHKB layout on it if you like (except for the Fn next to the shift key).

HHKB Pro 2 uses Topre switches and they are not MX keycap compatible and there are VERY few keycap options available. Also, the space bars are made from ABS even though the rest of the caps are PBT.

MX switches are prefered for gaming, too. Especially for FPS games.

So, I would but a Poker 2 if I needed a new 60%, but that's personal preference.

I shudder to to think what the HHKB Pro 2 would cost in Norway.....  :eek: You'd probably be able to sell it there quite easily afterwards, though, if you decide you don't like it, so....
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:49:35 »
Well, it's a very well thought out layout and many people who try it love it. Also, they say the Topre switches grow on you and after a while you really like them....

Not me, though. I prefer the layout and switches on my KBT Pure. The disadvantages of the HHKB Pro 2 are that if you don't like the layout or the switch feel you are stuck. With a board like a Poker 2 you can simply reprogram the layout and change / modify the switches as you see fit to get them to feel how you like. Also, you can add / change LED's to get the backlighting how you want. Not to mention the aftermarket case and especially keycap options. you can even program the HHKB layout on it if you like (except for the Fn next to the shift key).

HHKB Pro 2 uses Topre switches and they are not MX keycap compatible and there are VERY few keycap options available. Also, the space bars are made from ABS even though the rest of the caps are PBT.

So, I would but a Poker 2 if I needed a new 60%, but that's personal preference.

I shudder to to think what the HHKB Pro 2 would cost in Norway.....  :eek: You'd probably be able to sell it there quite easily afterwards, though, if you decide you don't like it, so....

There's no way of getting a hold of an HHKB in Norway unless you order internationally (AFAIK). So I'd have to buy from EK or something like that ^^' would end up at about just under 300$ :)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:58:44 »

There's no way of getting a hold of an HHKB in Norway unless you order internationally (AFAIK). So I'd have to buy from EK or something like that ^^' would end up at about just under 300$ :)

My advice would be to keep an eye out for one 2nd hand or buy with a proxy from Japan.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:00:48 »
Would it really be that much cheaper from Japan?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:09:58 »

You may have to check it out because it comes down to how much shipping and customs would cost each way. I got a new type-s from Japan with a proxy and it was a lot cheaper. Pro tip would be to keep an eye on this auction site: http://buyee.jp/ they are owned by Tenso (who are quite a reliable proxy) it allows you to buy from Yahoo JP auctions second hand and have it sent anywhere. Little more risky but if you want to save a lot it's not a bad option.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:13:58 »

You may have to check it out because it comes down to how much shipping and customs would cost each way. I got a new type-s from Japan with a proxy and it was a lot cheaper. Pro tip would be to keep an eye on this auction site: http://buyee.jp/ they are owned by Tenso (who are quite a reliable proxy) it allows you to buy from Yahoo JP auctions second hand and have it sent anywhere. Little more risky but if you want to save a lot it's not a bad option.

Thanks man, appreciate it :) I'll definetely keep an eye out for that! But as said, I'll wait and see how I feel about a 60% formfactor before I take the next step. I just wanted to know why people believe the HHKB layout is superior to other layouts.

Is this stuff actually legit?:
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/184688607

I mean.. I could easily save 100 bucks from buying there then O_o Jeez.. didn't know the difference was that big.

EDIT: Even though the description saying it's used, and that it's not returnable is a bit shady
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:23:33 by Sagii »

Offline osi

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:32:04 »
If I had bought an HHKB as my first keyboard, it would have likely been a long time before I had gotten another board. I'm glad I 'worked' my way up to it so I could collect a few boards before hitting the pinnacle.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:45:56 »

Thanks man, appreciate it :) I'll definetely keep an eye out for that! But as said, I'll wait and see how I feel about a 60% formfactor before I take the next step. I just wanted to know why people believe the HHKB layout is superior to other layouts.

Is this stuff actually legit?:
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/184688607

I mean.. I could easily save 100 bucks from buying there then O_o Jeez.. didn't know the difference was that big.

EDIT: Even though the description saying it's used, and that it's not returnable is a bit shady

Yes be careful and remember it's an auction site like ebay so you need to be as cautious as you would always be in that situation.

If I am perfectly honest I never believed the layout was really superior, it was the looks and topre switches that got me but now that I use it daily, I absolutely love the layout and have switched control positions on my Realforce at home :) The only thing that does take a while to get used to is the arrow keys and if you use them a lot and really like having them as dedicated keys the HHKB will probably not work so well for you.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:48:12 »
If I had bought an HHKB as my first keyboard, it would have likely been a long time before I had gotten another board. I'm glad I 'worked' my way up to it so I could collect a few boards before hitting the pinnacle.

That's why I consider buying it though.. I like having only ONE. If I ever buy a new keyboard I'd likely sell the last one ^^' I like having one "ultimate".. I know these words are like blasphemy around here thoguh ! :))

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:48:24 »
Once you get used to the changes in the HHKB layout, they feel completely natural and just feel right. You don't have to be a programmer. Topre is great for typing anything, and if you have long essays to write,  I would say Topre feels the best for straight up typing in my opinion.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:49:59 »
I can give you a AHK script which simulates the Poker 2 arrows if the arrow situation on the HHKB becomes a problem for you.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:57:25 »
You know, if you plan to order HHKB Pro from Japan anyway, go from Japanese version. It have A LOT more buttons. Hell, it even have separate arrows!
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:58:22 »
These are the things I find great about the HHKB layout and that I've adopted in my other keyboards:
  • The placement of the CTRL key is superior no matter what you're doing.  For typing it has marginal benefits (mostly copy and paste).  For gaming, you can now bind skills to Ctrl+# which I do to replace any F key bindings.  For coding, depending on your IDE it can be used very frequently or not at all.
  • The placement of the Del/Bksp key.  I've set mine (via the dip switch) to be Bksp.  I can now erase characters without having to move my right hand because it's more reachable.
  • The Esc key placement.  I found this useful for games for exiting menus and inventory, character, skill windows, etc. quickly.
  • The navigation layer is very efficient once you get used to it.

I think marginally better 60% layouts exist (some more info here), but without a fully programmable controller I think the HHKB is as good as it gets for a stock layout.

Keep in mind you can try out almost all of these changes (minus the navigation layer) via a software based key mapper.  No Topre, but I feel that you're primarily interested in the layout at this point in time.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:59:22 »
EDIT:  Double post.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 08:03:01 by geniekid »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 08:01:51 »
You can't compare the Poker layout to the HHKB layout. I first tried a Poker as my first 60%, and at the end of that experience, I thought I would never like 60% keyboards. It took awhile until I finally picked up the HHKB, and while Topre feels very nice, it was the layout that sold me. The position of Backspace and Ctrl just feel right. I've gone as far as changing all other keyboard layouts to be the same, and going back to other keyboards just feels wrong.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 08:24:35 »
In addition to what's been said about the layout, I don't find the arrow to be difficult to use at all. I now use HHKB arrows without looking at my hand placement and it's just as easy to get to them as dedicated arrows because there's less hand movement involves.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 08:27:52 »
In addition to what's been said about the layout, I don't find the arrow to be difficult to use at all. I now use HHKB arrows without looking at my hand placement and it's just as easy to get to them as dedicated arrows because there's less hand movement involves.

Sometimes when I switch back to my Filco, my hand naturally goes into that position for the arrow keys. I think that's a pretty good indication that after you get used to it, it's truly a superior layout.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 08:33:30 »

Sometimes when I switch back to my Filco, my hand naturally goes into that position for the arrow keys. I think that's a pretty good indication that after you get used to it, it's truly a superior layout.

Because of my HHKB I programmed my QFR w/ a Frosty Flake to have a navigation layer via R-Alt and made it use the usual inverted T for arrows.  Ironically, now every time I use my HHKB I wish it had the QFR's layout which would have never happened in the first place if not for the the HHKB.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 08:48:49 »
Really the two main layout changes are the CTRL key and Backspace.  Both of which are in a superior position usage wise.  It really makes a lot more sense than where they're normally placed.

On the downside, I think some have issues w/ the arrow keys...

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:05:12 »
It's only superior if you like mushy, pudding feeling, switches. :)
I hate everything.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:12:24 »
You know what I see, and I always wonder why people view this site with blinders to where they only see one thing, one opinion, and try to correlate that to the ultimate view of the entirety of geekhack?

People only really talk about the switches they like. There aren't really entire threads of people crapping on Browns, for example. When people ask what kind of keyboard/switch they should buy, the respondents' inherent suggestion is what they like.

Why do people focus so much on Topre? Has anyone else noticed that people like Bucking Springs as well? I know people say, "well, it's so expensive, blahblahblah." Has anyone who makes these arguments noticed that people actually spend just as much on an SSK? No one goes out of their way to try to discredit Buckling Springs because of it. No one goes out of their way to discredit Korean custom keyboards. So what is it about Topre? What about this switch makes so much talk, on both sides?

Offline mougrim

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:34:06 »
Because most of newbies here bought theirfirst mechanical board to get away from totally unsatisfactory rubber domes boards. And they they learn about Topre which is basically rubber dome switches, but costs more then most of more elaborate mechanical ones. And see some Topre zealots. Naturally, they start arguing...

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:41:56 »
It's not ;)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline mougrim

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:50:56 »
It's not what?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:51:42 »
His statement is in direct response to the question in the title of this thread.

Offline acsim

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:50:33 »
For me the HHKB is superior to any other keyboard I've used due to it's entire package. The superior keycaps, form-factor, layout and switches. Topre switches (I own both the FC660C and HHKB) are a joy to type on. Tactile yet light, it suits me as I have weak little fingers and I have to code all day and night. The Backspace and control keys are in places that makes more sense. My arms are always shoulder-width apart due to how close the mouse and keyboard can be. It's so ergonomic and natural. All these factors and probably more make it unimaginable for me to go back to any old regular keyboard.  :D

source: Owned a mx brown QFR, mx blue DAS, mx blue filco majestouch ninja, mx red tenkeyless Ducky and FC660C. Sold all of them except the FC660C.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:41:03 »
For me the HHKB is superior to any other keyboard I've used due to it's entire package. The superior keycaps, form-factor, layout and switches. Topre switches (I own both the FC660C and HHKB) are a joy to type on. Tactile yet light, it suits me as I have weak little fingers and I have to code all day and night. The Backspace and control keys are in places that makes more sense. My arms are always shoulder-width apart due to how close the mouse and keyboard can be. It's so ergonomic and natural. All these factors and probably more make it unimaginable for me to go back to any old regular keyboard.  :D

source: Owned a mx brown QFR, mx blue DAS, mx blue filco majestouch ninja, mx red tenkeyless Ducky and FC660C. Sold all of them except the FC660C.

So, how do you feel about the hhkb and fc660c considering you have tried them both?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:47:02 »
OK let me put it to you straight: have you ever had sex?

hhkb is like sex and every other keyboard is like masturbating.

burroughs buckling spring is too lewd to get into details about. wowza

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:51:16 »

Since it's a cloud of boobs does it make it an orgy?   :rolleyes:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:57:29 »

Since it's a cloud of boobs does it make it an orgy?   :rolleyes:

hhkb. you do it with your hands like this. Not like curry powder aphrodisiac licked off my desk.

MOUTH TO MOUTH

Offline Sagii

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:07:27 »
Very interesting opinions here :)
Well, I just came to think that I'd always like the "endgame" at once, instead of going through the whole package. I know that such a take on it might sound naive and stupid, but that's how it is for me. That's why I always do tons of researching before buying anything, really. I enjoy researching and learning everything I can before I make a decision. That's also why I made this thread ^^ Many people speak of the HHKB as the endgame board, the one and only, so I wanted to know what it is about the layout that makes it apparently so good.
I know it's not possible to jump straight to one thing you're gonna be satisfied with for the rest of your life, and I know that everything is personal preference, aka you need to try things out. I do, however, still enjoy reading everyone else's opinions, and it gives me an idea of what to expect and not expect.
I definetely LOVE the looks of the HHKB. It just.. it looks so professional, it's so sleak, nothing unnecessary junk, it's just a keyboard, it doesn't try to be everything else to make up for not being a perfect keyboard. Wow.. I ended up being really philosophical here, I'm just gonna end the rant now :p

Offline acsim

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:08:44 »
It's pretty much the opinions of everyone who had tried both the FC660C and HHKB. The FC660C, due to its metal plating,  both the feel and sound are more subdued on the FC660C. Construction is solid, thick and chunky which gives a very premium build quality impression. Keycaps are slightly smaller compared the HHKB. One major difference between the two, is that the keys on the FC660C are "flatter" across the width of the board. Meaning that the height difference between the first and last row of the keyboard is not as exaggerated as the HHKB. Due to this, I usually to kick up the legs behind the FC660C but it's not really an issue.

The HHKB on the other hand is lighter, feels more plastic-ky. Unsuspecting users wouldn't know that they are handling a $300 keyboard. However the feedback is more pronounced, more "thocky" as many of us would say. The keycaps feel wider and the bottom row keys of the keyboard sits lower compared to other keyboards I've tried. That effectively eliminates the use of wrist rests for me.

All in all, the difference between the two is not whole lot but depending on how you use them, you'll find one more suitable for your needs. I enjoy the HHKB more simply due to the backspace placement, the "thockiness" and that I code in vim so I don't use arrow keys all that often.  :cool:

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:22:11 »
For me, the HHKB is the last keyboard I would need, but not the last that I WANT. ;) I enjoy keyboards, so I won't limit myself to just one. I appreciate more than 1 switch, so I need more keyboards.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:28:44 »
For me, the HHKB is the last keyboard I would need, but not the last that I WANT. ;) I enjoy keyboards, so I won't limit myself to just one. I appreciate more than 1 switch, so I need more keyboards.

Haha, it wouldn't surprise me if that's where I end up as well. However, I know that I always like to have that ONE I can use for everything. I don't like having lots of stuff, one that can do that, one that can do that, and one that can do that, I want one that can do everything! As said, I know that it sound naive and "childish" of sorts, but that's how it is for me. I'm well aware something like that won't exist most of the time, but still..

And from reviews and so on it sounded like HHKB could be that "one" :)) Even the Poker 2 feels like the "one", just because of all the customisability, and how it is a jack of all trades. Wanna collect keycaps? Well everything fits on the poker 2! Wanna solder on LEDs? You can do that as well! Want to customise your layout? Poker 2 got it!

If you get my drift.. I DO however know that all of the mentioned above won't be the case with the HHKB, but it sounds like the HHKB got the package anyways, and that you really won't need any fancy stuff.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:30:37 »
People here are mother****ing crazy ****ers

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:30:50 »

This is why I also have an SSK. Those would be the last two I need. And I'm trying to convince myself they're the last two I want as well. Though I still have an RF, aside from the other boards I wish to still sell.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:31:24 »
People here are mother****ing crazy ****ers

Ain't that the mother****ing truth.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:34:31 »
Because it has the word hacking in the name, and when you use a keyboard with the word hacking in it you time travel in the 1990's and feel awesome.