Author Topic: [IC] GMK Arch | Pricing! | Major IC Changes | Collab Prototypes  (Read 168581 times)

Offline Ram

Re: [IC] GMK Arch
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 01:39:25 »
I would like to see an F13 in base. Otherwise, I like it.
Will be added in, and for anyone else reading just to make sure I'm not overloaded I'll make changes every few days so I can do a few all at once

Offline notc4r1

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 02:14:08 »
I'm in for the set AND all the goodies.

Offline underling

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 02:18:01 »
Where is the Arch blue?

Arch set without that iconic blue logo anywhere? :(

The 'A' logo doesn't look much like the Arch "A"

Love the idea of -SYU, will be chronically annoyed that it's not "-Syu"

Love the Pacman key.

Overall I like the colors but imo it definitely needs the Arch blue *somewhere* as an accent.

Offline Ram

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 02:29:49 »
Where is the Arch blue?

Arch set without that iconic blue logo anywhere? :(

The 'A' logo doesn't look much like the Arch "A"

Love the idea of -SYU, will be chronically annoyed that it's not "-Syu"

Love the Pacman key.

Overall I like the colors but imo it definitely needs the Arch blue *somewhere* as an accent.

Hey, so I personally thought it would be nicer to mute the blue a bit into a teal so it would fit with the minimalism more, and the same reasoning goes for the simplified Arch Logo. You don't know how mad I am at myself for not noticing what was wrong on Syu and that will be changed for the final product. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 02:53:01 »
Is this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:TrademarkPolicy
an issue at all?

Edit: I'm actually asking btw.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 02:54:42 by Jaxxstatic »

Offline hkiri

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 02:53:43 »
Am I even allowed to use this, even though I use arch for noobs manjaro?

Offline Ram

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 03:09:10 »
Is this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:TrademarkPolicy
an issue at all?

Edit: I'm actually asking btw.
Hey like I said in the post, I have explicit permission from the trademark team to run the set so all is good on that end

Offline Ram

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 03:10:00 »
Am I even allowed to use this, even though I use arch for noobs manjaro?
I'll make an exception for the shell kit, the rest you need to use vanilla arch for smh

Offline Lenux

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 03:15:33 »
Insane set count me in!

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 03:23:55 »
Well, I’m in. I don’t use Linux anymore, and I have zero attachment to the theme, but the colors are great, the deskmat is nice, and the novelties look good even without context.

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 03:53:31 »
now that's one hell of a set, nicely done, can't wait for the GB!

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 04:36:21 »
Like the colorset. Surely interested with this set.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 05:14:53 »
Not sure about the SYU/YAY/SUDO novelties as they look a little out of place, but I love the colours/general vibe of this set. Am I allowed to use it if I use Manjaro, though?

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 05:33:46 »
I feel like text mods would be more fitting for an Arch based/inspired set

Same, I feel like this would look 110% better with just text mods and maybe a separate icon mod kit.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 06:06:48 »
The following keys can be removed from the kits since they either serve no practical purpose or are not commonly used. Sorted top to bottom from “totally useless” to “somewhat useful but may not be worth including”.
  • 1.75c keys in spacebars — not used outside of a small number of 40s boards (which this set doesn't support);
  • second 1c and second 1.25c in spacebars — not used outside of a small number of ortho boards (which this set doesn't support);
  • second R4 1u Alt in base and GUI — only useful if there are 1.5u Super keys;
  • R1 1u Backspace in base — not commonly used;
  • R4 1u 00 — only useful for standalone numpads;
  • R4 2u Shift — popular in East Asia for GK64 and similar 60% layouts w/ arrows, but not commonly used elsewhere.
In place of these, keys to consider adding are F13 to base (as previously mentioned in the thread) and 2× 1.5u Super to base and GUI (in which case you would keep the second 1u Alt keys).

I feel like text mods would be more fitting for an Arch based/inspired set

Same, I feel like this would look 110% better with just text mods and maybe a separate icon mod kit.

I'm inclined to say that text mods would be a good idea. It would probably give the set a bit more character and tie in a bit better with the theme. On the other hand, I think that keeping the current look and adding the GUI kit mods on top is also a nice prospect.

Edit: correction
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 06:22:26 by konstantin »

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 07:08:15 »
For the novelties I liked the first Arch logo better in your prelim IC thread. The one with the lines going through it so it looked like ASCII art.

The new logo looks too much like something from iOS
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 07:28:31 by directheatedtriode »

Offline patcoll

• !40s
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 08:40:40 »
Any chance for a 1.5 diamond in the GUI set? For Tsangan/HHKB

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 08:55:37 »
absolutely missed the opportunity to make a BlackArch mod kit to introduce a mixed colorway... ;)

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 09:11:01 »
no "btw" novelty? disappointed.

Offline Ram

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 09:42:20 »
no "btw" novelty? disappointed.
Look at the aur kit, there's one there haha

Offline Awayhugepickle

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 10:25:14 »
This one looks great!

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 10:26:49 »
Look at the aur kit, there's one there haha
Ahhh dumb me was looking for a 1U key!
Nice! I like the colors for sure.

Offline underling

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 10:33:45 »
Hey, so I personally thought it would be nicer to mute the blue a bit into a teal so it would fit with the minimalism more, and the same reasoning goes for the simplified Arch Logo. You don't know how mad I am at myself for not noticing what was wrong on Syu and that will be changed for the final product. Thanks for the feedback!
Are there other sets that explicitly cop the name of a beloved property/theme and then go out of the way to change its logo and core colors?

Arch is only minimal if that's what the user wants, btw.

I guess it's your set and you have permission but it sucks this with become "the" arch kit and have the wrong logo and colors.

That's not to say the colors aren't great, I like them but it doesn't make sense to call it arch while changing both the logo and the base color.

It would be like all the eva01 stuff softening the green or something...

Offline macomac

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 10:41:22 »
Super hyped for this set, it's right up my alley.

Offline Owl

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 10:46:17 »
Pretty nice looking. This script kiddie is interested. Could you perhaps coordinate with your future vendors to have an email sent to my entire family and friends letting them know that I bought this? I want them to ask me what "Arch" and "Linux" is. For personal reasons.

Also really like the deskmat!

Also in the spirit of open source, lets see those color codes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 10:48:32 by Owl »

Offline Ram

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 10:54:58 »
Also in the spirit of open source, lets see those color codes.
Never thought abt it like that, I'll add it in once I'm back on my pc

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 11:01:47 »
Are there other sets that explicitly cop the name of a beloved property/theme and then go out of the way to change its logo and core colors?

I guess it's your set and you have permission but it sucks this with become "the" arch kit and have the wrong logo and colors.

That's not to say the colors aren't great, I like them but it doesn't make sense to call it arch while changing both the logo and the base color.

Agreed

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Cujo26

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 11:02:22 »
Man this just makes me regret living in the arse end of Africa more and more - gmk sets never ship here D:
Please help I am trapped in your computing device

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112457.0]

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 11:04:58 »
Now I can tell AND show people I use Arch!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 11:08:03 »
super clean set

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 11:22:35 »
Man you made a killer looking IC, amazing presentation -- I'm super proud to see this come to full fruition since you initially first posted that concept render in the discord.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 11:36:17 »
RIP CentOS.
Long live GMK Arch
Wait CentOS is gone? Such good memories.
Redhat is dropping support in 2021 and focusing support on CentOS stream, which is a rolling release with scheduling between RHEL and fedora. The reason it's 'gone' is because anyone who was using CentOS was using it for hyper stability, even with super-legacy, and even deprecated packages. Rolling release, regardless of actual up/downstream scheduling, is very against that methodology.

Offline Dadrophenia

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 11:46:12 »
Even as a Debian user I feel I'd have to pick up this kit for the colors and Vim keys alone, this looks great!

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 11:55:34 »
Can you add rendering how this set will look like on e-white keyboard? Like Iron165 or Vega? :) :)

Offline guill3m

• Shut up and take my money
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 12:34:50 »
Yes, really nice. Thank you for considering the addition of the GUI kit :thumb:

Offline eyeon

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 12:44:55 »
Why is there no 1.5U super key? even the GUI kit does not have the symbol in 1.5U.

Offline musdem

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 13:09:07 »
I didn't think anything would make me switch my daily from SA Oblivion but this might do it.

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 14:34:58 »

There is no reason this has to become "the" Arch Linux kit, anyone could redo it in the future to be more true to the overall Arch theme as long as permission was granted from the people overseeing Arch.

The more I consider this with the colors and off novelties the more I'm leaning towards skipping it.

Offline hpkb

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 15:04:52 »
Damn this is nice. The mod legends remind me of Manjaro than the vanilla blue of Arch Linux. Either way, it looks great.

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 15:32:54 »
I've been commenting about how the kits are sold, and I have a question.
I realize that not everyone wants a spacebar in contrasting color, but then others do. I'm one.
But I honestly don't want to spend $30 - $40 for a spacebar in a contrasting color since I'm only going to use one.
I've asked this question elsewhere and they commented that spacebars are expensive to make.
But my question is it really that much more expensive to include ONE more in the base set?
Or is this a tactic used by designers to make more profit?

Offline Ram

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 15:35:40 »
I realize that not everyone wants a spacebar in contrasting color, but then others do. I'm one.
But I honestly don't want to spend $30 - $40 for a spacebar in a contrasting color since I'm only going to use one.
I've asked this question elsewhere and they commented that spacebars are expensive to make.
But my question is it really that much more expensive to include ONE more in the base set?
I don't know yet as I haven't recieved quotes from gmk yet, so I can answer that then, but the thing is that the spacebar can add cost that will make people who don't want it shy away due to not being able to afford it,

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 15:38:05 »
yes, please and thank you. numpab, annnnnnddd extra b in base?? I might not see this till 2022 but i'll take it

Offline Ram

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 15:45:01 »
yes, please and thank you. numpab, annnnnnddd extra b in base?? I might not see this till 2022 but i'll take it
trust, it'll be here much much sooner ;)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 15:52:43 »

There is a good reason why GMK kits are usually structured the way they are, and it has to do with satisfying the needs of the majority of users, while avoiding things that would drive cost up for that majority. This necessarily implies that some compromises need to be made; and I'm sorry to say, but accent-colored spacebars usually fall on the short end of that compromise since, usually, there isn't enough demand for them to justify their inclusion in a base kit.

To answer your question, yes, the price of a single extra spacebar in the base kit can make a difference when it comes to pricing and sales.

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 16:16:36 »
This is the clearest answer I've heard. Thanks for helping me understand. :)

Offline underling

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 18:00:19 »

There is no reason this has to become "the" Arch Linux kit, anyone could redo it in the future to be more true to the overall Arch theme as long as permission was granted from the people overseeing Arch.

The more I consider this with the colors and off novelties the more I'm leaning towards skipping it.
Sure, someone else *could* come along and do it 'right' but I anticipate their IC thread will be overrun with people talking about how confusing it is there is another "arch" kit and "you should use a different name" and so on...Maybe even GMK going, hey we already have this very different product line. Pick another name.(?)

If this is the first kit that comes out bearing the name, it likely will be "the" kit because anyone who wants to come do something that really is Arch-like would be fighting the existing idioms.

I do understand what you're saying though.

At first this didn't bother me much, but as a 10+ years arch user the more I think about it the less I like it. Taken in a vacuum the colors are great. The arch'iness is there in the quirky keys (-Syu) - great! VIM KEYS - I LOVE! <3

But I don't think it's right to use the Arch name and then make your own logo and color scheme. IMHO that's wrong and will set a precedence while simultaneously being inauthentic. Anyways, not my thread. I don't own arch either... but i will be hard-pass on it now.

arch logos: https://www.archlinux.org/art/

ok, i will bow (disappointedly) out of this thread now.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 18:04:12 by underling »

Offline Ram

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 18:53:00 »

Sure, someone else *could* come along and do it 'right' but I anticipate their IC thread will be overrun with people talking about how confusing it is there is another "arch" kit and "you should use a different name" and so on...Maybe even GMK going, hey we already have this very different product line. Pick another name.(?)

If this is the first kit that comes out bearing the name, it likely will be "the" kit because anyone who wants to come do something that really is Arch-like would be fighting the existing idioms.

At first this didn't bother me much, but as a 10+ years arch user the more I think about it the less I like it. Taken in a vacuum the colors are great. The arch'iness is there in the quirky keys (-Syu) - great! VIM KEYS - I LOVE! <3

But I don't think it's right to use the Arch name and then make your own logo and color scheme. IMHO that's wrong and will set a precedence while simultaneously being inauthentic. Anyways, not my thread. I don't own arch either... but i will be hard-pass on it now.

I fully understand what you mean and won't try to change your opinion, but I will explain my pov for a few things,  when I contacted one of the vendors I was going with, they made it obvious that this would be an expensive set as is, and I had to remove some icons(there were going to be true arch logos in the gui kit for super) so since I had a logo with the simplified style I had decided to stick with that novelty since it was already there and I didn't think people would care that much, obviously I was wrong. Especially since your a long time Arch user your feedback means more than most other since technically you're what the set should be appealing to. I will try to find a way to fit those back in once the quotes come back and I know if it will work or not, and I'll see what I can do about making it right and getting this set closer to what it was meant to be, because originally I really wanted to stick to the true arch colors but both personal preference and the fact that anything with those colors always resemble Umbra or another set to the point that I can't run it at all, so my hope was that I could get close and use the novs and mat as a way of maintaining the theme. So I hope you understand, and even if you don't your opinion is still valid and I'm going to use it for guidance from now till gb(if that happens) and for future sets.

Thanks,

Ram

Offline Owl

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 19:55:28 »

I fully understand what you mean and won't try to change your opinion, but I will explain my pov for a few things,  when I contacted one of the vendors I was going with, they made it obvious that this would be an expensive set as is, and I had to remove some icons(there were going to be true arch logos in the gui kit for super) so since I had a logo with the simplified style I had decided to stick with that novelty since it was already there and I didn't think people would care that much, obviously I was wrong. Especially since your a long time Arch user your feedback means more than most other since technically you're what the set should be appealing to. I will try to find a way to fit those back in once the quotes come back and I know if it will work or not, and I'll see what I can do about making it right and getting this set closer to what it was meant to be, because originally I really wanted to stick to the true arch colors but both personal preference and the fact that anything with those colors always resemble Umbra or another set to the point that I can't run it at all, so my hope was that I could get close and use the novs and mat as a way of maintaining the theme. So I hope you understand, and even if you don't your opinion is still valid and I'm going to use it for guidance from now till gb(if that happens) and for future sets.

Thanks,

Ram

While I am not a long term Arch user, or linux user for that matter, I think it's a little silly for the Arch people to be so riled up about this. Not too long ago, GMK Gruvbox debuted and the designer used the exact colors that the IDE theme uses. And a lot of people thought it didn't really look that great, or at least didn't have the Gruvbox "feel" to it. Myself included since I use Gruvbox a lot. I suspect the same exact thing would have happened if you had tried to match the Arch palette perfectly and, like you said, would have probably ended up looking like a bunch of other sets instead of your own.

And while my opinion may not weigh as much as someone who's been checking their emails on Arch for 80 years, I really appreciate the extra mile that you went to make this an Arch set, that clearly looks like an Arch set, while also taking it upon yourself to diversify it enough to make it a polished and memorable addition to the GMK family. Anyone could have just copy and pasted HEX codes and made an exact copy of the logo to make it look like the IP. But it takes a lot of effort and decisions to build upon the idea while also not straying too far from it.

Anyway I think it's great and, at the end of the day, you are trying to sell something. So listening to the intended audience IS a good idea. But you should also hear that, in a forum filled with low effort IC's that are copy pastas of hex codes from anime, this stands out as a far more robust and developed idea than most and I appreciate it for that.

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 21:15:41 »

No one really cares about a name that much if a set looks good. Look at all the threads that are doing themed sets but might be infringing on the original IP, the threads have loads of suggestions for alternative names and novelties to try and skirt the IP issue while still creating an interesting set.

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 21:18:57 »

Thanks,

Ram

Being too close to Umbra with that sort of aquamarine blue makes sense. I don't see why you couldn't just replace all the R1/R4 Arch logos with the official logos keeping the option 1 and option 2 kitting the same, where would be the price increase in doing that?