Author Topic: Attic Fan 2  (Read 2311 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Attic Fan 2
« on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 17:38:31 »
Motor keeps burning out after ~1.5 years,

What do you guys use ?

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: Attic Fan 2
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 16:32:24 »
Does your attic have adequate ventilation to handle the air volume? If not, you may be overtaxing the motor.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 16:41:35 »
there holz everywhere, it's barely sealed

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 18:03:04 »
If it's not a hardware issue, it's installation or environment. Check if there's something effecting the integrity of the fan like extreme heat or moisture, then do some testing on the wiring and outlet.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 19:40:00 »
extreme heat or moisture,

but it's an attic fan, those are the 2 conditions.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 14:42:37 »
i am not an electrician, just an amateur with a penchant towards electrical engineering, have you checked the wires going to the fan? if they can't handle the power and drop the voltage the current in the fan may climb and burn something (i am not sure a fan can do that though, i have seen switching supplies blow fuses from that phenomenon though, so maybe, i dunno, if you can't find anything else)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 10:44:35 »
Disassembled motor, everything seeeeems fine.  coil's good  thermal fuse blown,  new fuses are $1.1 each.. why so spensive.... ??

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 15:11:27 »
Disassembled motor, everything seeeeems fine.  coil's good  thermal fuse blown,  new fuses are $1.1 each.. why so spensive.... ??

Show Image

you are lucky it is a replaceable one, one of the reason they are rather expensive is that it uses rather rare metals to melt at a precise temperature, and also that you are buying only one, any electronic component is really expensive when bought by the unit. and if the windings were not fine the fuse would have not been doing its job :)
although if you are already that deep in it you could check the windings for a short with an ohmmeter/multimeter, and check online for typical resistances for those to make sure to not blow the new fuse right away :).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 14:30:34 »
Got the new fuses,

Soldered, reassembled and installed.

2nd floor is much cooler now mid-day.

It's supppose to help improve durability of the roof itself, buhhhh that might just be Bulls....they tell you to sell you attic fans and installation services.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 16:17:50 »
I wish my house had an attic fan, miss having one when I was younger in my mom's house.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 16:22:30 »
I wish my house had an attic fan, miss having one when I was younger in my mom's house.

you mean a whole house fan or an attic fan, the attic fan just cools the attic.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 16:31:33 »

the attic fan just cools the attic

Specifically, "whole house fans" usually vent house air into the attic (although the good ones take it outside) while "attic" fans vent attic air to the outside.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 16:33:15 »
The "turbine" fans you sometimes see don't always have motors, relying on air flow to to spin them.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 20:36:39 »
Latest theory,  it's been burning out (past few years) because the "starting temp" is set too high.

For example, if the fan starting temp is set at 90, then the operating environment will stay cool ~100-110, the motor will heat up, but only to  <128C of the thermal fuse.

HOWEVER, if the fan starting temp is set at 110,  That's different because then the operating temp will push the PEAK motor temp <at least for a little while> to a HIGHER rung, and  on a particularly hot day, with a heatwave or whatever,   Pooof, the fuse blows.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 05:57:36 »
I'm used to calling the "whole house fan" the attic fan due to the fact it pulls and vents the air through the attic.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 08:18:43 »
I'm used to calling the "whole house fan" the attic fan due to the fact it pulls and vents the air through the attic.

I suppose the venn diagram would work out that way. whole house fan a subset of attic fans.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 08:43:33 »

a subset of attic fans

The ceiling where the house fan resides is the interface where "house" and "attic" meet, but unless the attic vents to the atmosphere there will be a reservoir of heat lurking up there.

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/does-it-make-sense-to-move-the-building-envelope-to-the-roofline/

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 13:53:32 »
After cutting down several old oak and maple trees, my central air has trouble keeping up on hot days.  Time for an attic fan.  May bite the bullet on solar as well...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 13:58:55 »
I think U_shaped units are the way to go.  There's not much reason to do the whole house if we just gon' be in the 'puter room.

But the basement is 70 pretty much all summer too.

Solar roof seems too difficult to service, if you have to call a tech out, it's going to be like $500-2000. With climate change, Mega Storms, high winds, seems dangerous to put more weight up high.

on 1 floor homes, they seem reasonably serviceble.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 13:50:24 »
Theory 2,  Maybe, -previously-,   the blade was installed too far at the end of the spindle.  This causes more vibration and heat as the mass is spun further away from the center of mass.    It's also possible that the vortex of air created did not properly pass through the motor's hub holes..

Tp4 has since moved the blade as close down as possible.

286511-0

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 08:48:15 »
Was there and Isolating spacer between the base of the blade and the housing - I would think that would absorb/reduce any vibrations and add longevity to the motors that keep taking themselves out.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 11:09:39 »
Was there and Isolating spacer between the base of the blade and the housing - I would think that would absorb/reduce any vibrations and add longevity to the motors that keep taking themselves out.

nothing so high tech,
but it does have a wobbly mounting mechanism such that the whole thing goes..