Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 399629 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 18:08:51 »
So I ordered a GON HHKB earlier this week, I plan to assemble it myself. Is the default housing ANSI? I didn't see any option to select ANSI or ISO and I don't want to end up with an ISO top plate.

I remember him saying he changed a few things on the newest version of the HHKB plate. Not sure if you can see it in detail but my forum picture is a HHKB plate from GON. I think it is default ansi.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #451 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 18:15:54 »
So I ordered a GON HHKB earlier this week, I plan to assemble it myself. Is the default housing ANSI? I didn't see any option to select ANSI or ISO and I don't want to end up with an ISO top plate.

I remember him saying he changed a few things on the newest version of the HHKB plate. Not sure if you can see it in detail but my forum picture is a HHKB plate from GON. I think it is default ansi.

When are you going to assemble yours? I'm just shocked that I liked the HHKB layout enough to sell my poker and all the stuff associated with it to buy a GON.  :))
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #452 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 23:00:08 »

When are you going to assemble yours? I'm just shocked that I liked the HHKB layout enough to sell my poker and all the stuff associated with it to buy a GON.  :))

GON is assembling mine. He should be sending it out by the end of the week. At least that is what he told me. But I sold my poker long ago to fund this. Best decision ever. But yeah HHKB layout all the way (or at least having the CTRL replace the Capslock). Kind of hard to do the HHKB on a 84 key layout.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 23:34:57 »

GON is assembling mine. He should be sending it out by the end of the week. At least that is what he told me. But I sold my poker long ago to fund this. Best decision ever. But yeah HHKB layout all the way (or at least having the CTRL replace the Capslock). Kind of hard to do the HHKB on a 84 key layout.

Haha GON told me he thought that he could ship out my order within a week.. 2 weeks ago  :-\

Though I don't blame him, he's got a lot on his plate to take care of. My order is just bare PCBs, parts and an acrylic tkl case though. Can't live without his NerD PCB keymapper.. so I'm putting one in this lz-gh housing.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #454 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 23:40:11 »

Haha GON told me he thought that he could ship out my order within a week.. 2 weeks ago  :-\

Though I don't blame him, he's got a lot on his plate to take care of. My order is just bare PCBs, parts and an acrylic tkl case though. Can't live without his NerD PCB keymapper.. so I'm putting one in this lz-gh housing.
Yeah I think I'm in for quite a long wait, I also ordered screws and feet anodized in a different color. I still look at my email every day hoping GON happened to have everything on hand. I know that isn't a possibility but its keeping me occupied. :)) My goal is finishing it by Keycon.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #455 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 00:04:31 »
I still look at my email every day hoping GON happened to have everything on hand. I know that isn't a possibility but its keeping me occupied.

Oh god, I know that feel as well..

I'm actually a bit surprised that there are still people waiting on their orders from September/October, especially with estimated 2 month lead time. I'm curious how long the lead times were before the DTA TKL groupbuy.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #456 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 00:05:54 »
I still look at my email every day hoping GON happened to have everything on hand. I know that isn't a possibility but its keeping me occupied.

I'm actually a bit surprised that there are still people waiting on their orders from September/October, especially with estimated 2 month lead time. I'm curious how long the lead times were before the DTA TKL groupbuy.
Well actually I'm coming up on almost 4 months.. Made the order October 18th..

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #457 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 01:01:31 »
I'm unfortunately really good and buying **** and forgetting about it all together till i run out of money and look for where it went lol
It makes for quite the surprise when i get packages.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline MrMen

« Reply #458 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 01:43:13 »
Thank you for the link. I was more talking about the pcb because this one is not a NerD if I'm right.
I'm more interested in assembling it by myself. I'll wait for a few time to think more about that.

I don't even know if I want acrylic or al housing. And tkl is not so bad... So hard to choose.

Offline animated

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Reply #459 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 10:11:28 »
Just curious, but is there 2-4 month wait time if you order the DIY kit also?  Thanks!
Das Browns, Filco Reds, Filco Blues, Leopold FC750R Reds, B.87 and B.Pad Gateron Blacks 65G Korean Springs, Varmillo VA87MR Gateron Blacks w/ Aluminum Case

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #460 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 11:13:43 »
Just curious, but is there 2-4 month wait time if you order the DIY kit also?  Thanks!

Not usually. But right now probably yes.

Offline avtar

« Reply #461 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 12:28:21 »
radio_killah, is the blue keyboard in your profile pic the one you ordered from Gon? If so what colour is that supposed to be?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #462 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 12:48:07 »
radio_killah, is the blue keyboard in your profile pic the one you ordered from Gon? If so what colour is that supposed to be?

Looks like a Blue GON HHKB.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #463 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 12:51:30 »

Looks like a Blue GON HHKB.

Yup it's the blue anodized non glare version.

Offline avtar

« Reply #464 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:35:29 »

Thanks, just wanted to confirm that it wasn't the Sky Blue non glare colour, which is what I chose. I was hoping mine would be lighter than that.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:36:37 »

Thanks, just wanted to confirm that it wasn't the Sky Blue non glare colour, which is what I chose. I was hoping mine would be lighter than that.

Yours should be more similar looking to mine but a little less shiny :D
I love Elzy

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:54:02 »

Well actually I'm coming up on almost 4 months.. Made the order October 18th..
I ordered mine a week after you, on October 25th. At this point I'd be happy if it got here before spring starts.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #467 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:57:15 »

I haven't seen your GON, are there pictures?

Edit: Found them, kind of makes me regret getting non glare black. Anyone have a picture for of full glare black?
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:01:46 by Joey Quinn »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #468 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:10:17 »
Yeah I was actually just updating the albums in my sig. Unfortunately no pics of glare black from me. I need the Cherry legends Miami from CtrlAlt but I can't afford since I need to fly to visit gf ^_^ oh well

I love Elzy

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #469 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:18:40 »

Edit: Found them, kind of makes me regret getting non glare black. Anyone have a picture for of full glare black?
You ordered recently right? I doubt GON has even sent the plate out for anodization. Contact him through Skype so he can edit your order.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #470 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:22:02 »

You ordered recently right? I doubt GON has even sent the plate out for anodization. Contact him through Skype so he can edit your order.
Yeah, my only doubt was whether I wanted glare or non glare. Do you know what Dustin's HHKB was?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #471 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:31:26 »

Yeah, my only doubt was whether I wanted glare or non glare. Do you know what Dustin's HHKB was?
His I think was non glare by the looks of it. It had more of a matte finish in his photos.

Offline avtar

« Reply #472 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:47:38 »

Thanks, Sifo :D Looking at yours makes me think I should have opted for the glare version. Oh well.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #473 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 00:39:59 »
Is shipping always around $25 minimum? Trying to order a pair of aluminum feet and shipping is more expensive than the feet o.o
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline ceflame

« Reply #474 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 03:48:39 »
Is shipping always around $25 minimum? Trying to order a pair of aluminum feet and shipping is more expensive than the feet o.o

Yep, winkeyless also charges a pretty high base rate for shipping to US (seeing $38 on their site.. though I remember a post saying it would be around $25-30). Pretty sure it's UPS Korea rate to the US, since that's how GON shipped to me last time.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #475 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 07:57:51 »
Hey guys. I am not sure if this has been answered or not. Does  anyone know if it is possible to reduce the usb polling rate on the nerd pcb? Also is it possible to modify the pcb so that you can use the keyboard to enter the computers bios?

Offline MrMen

« Reply #476 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 13:45:24 »
I'm still there with my thought about MxMini.The Hoffmann board is an old one if I'm right. I'm looking for the NerD one version.

If it's already released, I think I'll take it and build it myself.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #477 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 16:45:13 »
I'm still there with my thought about MxMini.The Hoffmann board is an old one if I'm right. I'm looking for the NerD one version.

If it's already released, I think I'll take it and build it myself.

Oh showing you Hoffman's board was just to show you what it would look like. His is the old version without the NerD pcb. But the NerD version should already be produced I think and you can order that directly from GON.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #478 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 05:58:45 »
If one wants to have side leds or pcb leds does one have to have an acryllic case?  And if yes, isn't acryllic worse than aluminum cases?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #479 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 07:42:25 »
If one wants to have side leds or pcb leds does one have to have an acryllic case?  And if yes, isn't acryllic worse than aluminum cases?

Nope you can have aluminum, but the centre piece to the sandwich style case is a translucent polycarb material. And yeah acrylic sucks but you save money.

See my signature for an outdated and poorly executed example.
I love Elzy

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #480 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 13:34:02 »

Nope you can have aluminum, but the centre piece to the sandwich style case is a translucent polycarb material. And yeah acrylic sucks but you save money.

But if one doesn't get any leds with GON, is the centre piece then aluminum?  And if yes is that better for keyboard sturdiness?  I don't really care about leds, so if there are any downsides to them then I will not get them.  But if there are no downsides then I'll get them since they are little to no extra cost and I'll just turn them off if I don't like the sideleds/pcb leds (not getting switch leds that's for sure).
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 13:52:00 by asgeirtj »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #481 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 13:52:30 »
But if one doesn't get any leds with GON, is the centre piece then aluminum?  And if yes is that better for keyboard sturdiness?  I don't really care about leds, so if there are any downsides to them then I will not get them.
GON currently doesn't make boards with aluminum center pieces, but if that's what you want you might want to check Kaliet (22kbd.com). As far as polycarbonate middles go, I haven't seen any downsides to durability at all. The main difference is weight. I also think that an all metal housing might be a little louder than a polycarb hybrid.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #482 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 16:03:17 »
But if one doesn't get any leds with GON, is the centre piece then aluminum?  And if yes is that better for keyboard sturdiness?  I don't really care about leds, so if there are any downsides to them then I will not get them.
GON currently doesn't make boards with aluminum center pieces, but if that's what you want you might want to check Kaliet (22kbd.com). As far as polycarbonate middles go, I haven't seen any downsides to durability at all. The main difference is weight. I also think that an all metal housing might be a little louder than a polycarb hybrid.

Alrighty then.  I don't think a low weight keyboard is a concern for me, also I use o-rings so loudness is not a problem.  Thanks for answers!

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #483 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 22:34:15 »

I don't know much about plastics, may I ask what makes acrylic worse than polycarbonate?
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 23:00:16 by StinkyTheDonut »
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #484 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 22:38:52 »

I don't much about plastics, may I ask what makes acrylic worse than polycarbonate?

Well for me it's preference. I don't like how acrylic feels and I don't enjoy typing on anything made from acrylic. Polycarb has a nice texture to it and doesn't bother me so much, and it's also been more reliable as far as durability goes for me.
I love Elzy

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #485 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 23:32:17 »

I don't know much about plastics, may I ask what makes acrylic worse than polycarbonate?

Well for me it's preference. I don't like how acrylic feels and I don't enjoy typing on anything made from acrylic. Polycarb has a nice texture to it and doesn't bother me so much, and it's also been more reliable as far as durability goes for me.
Do they still have a difference if a metal plate is used?
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #486 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 00:29:32 »

Do they still have a difference if a metal plate is used?

I've never tried a metal plate + acrylic sandwich. But plate isn't everything that makes the feel of a keyboard, it's everything combined.
I love Elzy

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #487 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 10:54:32 »

I don't much about plastics, may I ask what makes acrylic worse than polycarbonate?

When talking about feel in a keyboard, is this only applicable when you don't use o-rings?  I'm thinking that since I use o-rings so I don't even clack so maybe it doesn't matter if I bottom out to a plastic case or an aluminum case?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #488 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 17:18:15 »

When talking about feel in a keyboard, is this only applicable when you don't use o-rings?  I'm thinking that since I use o-rings so I don't even clack so maybe it doesn't matter if I bottom out to a plastic case or an aluminum case?

I don't use o-rings so I can't tell you really. An aluminum case should still feel more "solid" than plastic, even with o-rings, but it's all subjective. If you don't care about the luxury and aesthetics of aluminum housings, then don't bother, I don't think it will make that much of a difference in feel for it to matter.
I love Elzy

Offline Dark_wizzie

« Reply #489 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 06:43:24 »
Sorry if this has been answered before...

Some of the Gons are really top notch in the looks department. However, I'm looking for a very solidly build keyboard, where literally, literally, if I smacked somebody with my keyboard, the keyboard would be a deadly weapon. I don't think the Gon offerings have enough solid metal to do that. Is it a good idea (and possible) to buy a pre-assemebled Gon pcb with the switches and all mounted and ready to go, and then I just plop the thing into TKL aluminum casing like the one from Tex?

Thanks
Beep Boop

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 06:54:31 »

Some of the Gons are really top notch in the looks department. However, I'm looking for a very solidly build keyboard, where literally, literally, if I smacked somebody with my keyboard, the keyboard would be a deadly weapon. I don't think the Gon offerings have enough solid metal to do that. Is it a good idea (and possible) to buy a pre-assemebled Gon pcb with the switches and all mounted and ready to go, and then I just plop the thing into TKL aluminum casing like the one from Tex?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the GON PCB isn't compatible with the TEX TKL cases.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #491 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 11:57:28 »

Thanks

Buy anything from Duck, my lightsaver is really heavy and when it was assembled it was really solid. Also I'm not sure a gon pcb will work with a Tex case.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 08:10:57 »
Hey guys. I am not sure if this has been answered or not. Does  anyone know if it is possible to reduce the usb polling rate on the nerd pcb? Also is it possible to modify the pcb so that you can use the keyboard to enter the computers bios?

I love how my question was skipped over. I can't even get GON to respond to this question via PM. I am guessing no one knows the answers to this questions?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #493 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:47:30 »

I love how my question was skipped over. I can't even get GON to respond to this question via PM. I am guessing no one knows the answers to this questions?
I am pretty sure it was skipped since no one knew how to answer it. I have no idea sorry :(

Offline Dark_wizzie

« Reply #494 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:49:26 »

I do not know the answer either. I heard that Gon is backlogged with tons of work. I also heard that you will reach him faster on Skype instead of Geekhack.
Beep Boop

Offline Battou62

« Reply #495 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 10:40:16 »

I do not know the answer either. I heard that Gon is backlogged with tons of work. I also heard that you will reach him faster on Skype instead of Geekhack.

Oh, okay. Where can I find his skype info?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 10:48:04 by Battou62 »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #496 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 11:40:14 »

I think his skype ID is "GONsKeyboardWorks" it is listed on the bottom banner of his wesbite, just send him a message saying you are from geekhack and he should add you.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 16:05:11 by radio_killah »

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #497 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:37:18 »

Offline eten

« Reply #498 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 13:38:56 »
Are there any pictures available for Gon's Crystal MX Mini?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #499 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 16:54:36 »
Are there any pictures available for Gon's Crystal MX Mini?

Not that I know of.