Author Topic: ARTISAN SERVICES - SUBFORUM PURPOSE AND POSTING GUIDELINES  (Read 120805 times)

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
ARTISAN SERVICES - SUBFORUM PURPOSE AND POSTING GUIDELINES
« on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 13:34:37 »
This subforum provides ad space for small-scale artisans to offer their work to geekhack members.

Examples of services that may be offered here are:
  • custom-crafted or painted keycaps
  • custom-crafted keyboard parts and accessories, such as wrist rests, key pullers, cleaning brushes, stickers, etc.
  • keyboard modification services, such as switch modification, LED replacement, case modification, keyboard assembly, and the like
  • any other services that follow the same principles

This space is not for resale of custom goods by commercial vendors.

If you purchase a custom item from an artisan and wish to resell it, please use the Classifieds subforum to do so.

Group Buys hosted by artisans should be posted in the Group Buys subforum.

Established artisans who wish to maintain multiple threads for different lines of work and feel constrained by a combined subforum may apply for a child board dedicated to their work, nested under the Artisan Services subforum--much like the child boards for Commercial Vendors.

Posting Guidelines:

Artisans:
  • Try to be descriptive with your thread titles
  • If you wish to associate a certain name with your creations, you can add it to your thread title, such as "[DON'S LEATHERWORKING] embossed custom leather wrist rests in many colors"
  • Please keep your threads up-to-date with relevant information being compiled in the first post.  If you anticipate a long thread, you can reserve the second and third posts for future revisions

Everyone Else:
  • Keep your posts relevant to the items or services offered as much as possible

Disclaimer: at the discretion of the moderator reviewing your post(s), discussion which belongs in another subforum is subject to being moved without advance notice, with a temporary redirect link being left in its place. Posts that violate rules and/or carry no on-topic relevance may be subject to deletion. These guidelines are subject to change in response to community needs (in which case, retroactive corrections may be performed "as they are discovered" if the link is still valid).

This thread is open for discussion if you have any questions the greater community may share, or you may feel free to PM one of the moderators.
As with other subforums, posts can be reported here. If someone appears to be breaking either an overall site-wide rule, or one of the guidelines listed above, please report it and it will be addressed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 May 2014, 20:12:49 by Moderation Team »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: ARTISAN SERVICES - SUBFORUM PUPOSE AND POSTING GUIDELINES
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:39:26 »
Is there going to be an artisan TOS??

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:43:24 »
Site TOS + VToS hold for everyone.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:48:57 »

So artisans can't be in vendor subforum but they have to abide by VTos.  :-\

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:53:50 »

So artisans can't be in vendor subforum but they have to abide by VTos.  :-\

That just reads to me that vendors are covered by vtos and artisans by site tos.

I could be wrong, though.

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:57:08 »
VToS is for everyone doing commercial activity.  Depending on how much commercial activity, including just selling on the Classifieds in large numbers, we can categorize people dynamically.  There are plenty of vendors without any subforums lurking on GH.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43873.0

5b: "In the absence of a vendor forum, commercial postings may be made in the artisan services forum with permission from Moderator Team and/or an administrator."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:59:34 »
VToS is for everyone doing commercial activity.  Depending on how much commercial activity, including just selling on the Classifieds in large numbers, we can categorize people dynamically.  There are plenty of vendors without any subforums lurking on GH.

5b: "In the absence of a vendor forum, commercial postings may be made in the artisan services forum with permission from Moderator Team and/or an administrator."

You guys should really sit down and chat with one another before saying things that are contradictory. 

On 4/2/14, at 2:15 PM, tjcaustin - wrote:
> Hey, legit question, are artisans bound by VTOS

On 4/2/14, at 2:18 PM, hashbaz wrote:
> that is a legit question
> I think, in general, "no"
> but I don't think it's been hashed out yet

If that's changed in the near hour since I talked to hashbaz, ok, but then the question arises of "What in the blue hell was the point of separation if everything is going to be treated the same except that non-commercial sellers are segregated?"
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:01:52 by tjcaustin »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:02:25 »
Basically what Mod Team is saying is that, anyone who engages in any type of monetary transaction using the forum to facilitate, can be classified as a vendor at any time, at the discretion of forum staff. So, depending on the situation, everyone is at times subject to the VToS, with our without an official "Vendor" label.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:13:40 »
Basically what Mod Team is saying is that, anyone who engages in any type of monetary transaction using the forum to facilitate, can be classified as a vendor at any time, at the discretion of forum staff. So, depending on the situation, everyone is at times subject to the VToS, with our without an official "Vendor" label.

Then why are there two TOS if it's arbitrarily decided who is or isn't a vendor at any given moment in time?

Additionally, that's not at all what was said when VTOS was introduced nearly a year ago:

And no, selling keyboards and keycaps between hobbyists doesn't count.  But because this is a forum full of smart people, we added the IRS test to Rule 1 to push people off of the fence one way or the other.  If the IRS *would* rule your activities a business on Schedule C, then it is a business.  If the IRS would rule it a hobby, then it is not a business according to that test.

Alternatively, if you launch a keyboard business with a storefront and an Illinois Tax Certificate (for example), then you are also a vendor.

Does that answer your questions?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:16:45 »
So basically what you guys are saying is depending on the mood of the moderator at the time, it is what it is, and the rules are just guidelines?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:21:50 »
So basically what you guys are saying is depending on the mood of the moderator at the time, it is what it is, and the rules are just guidelines?

Nope, nobody is basically saying that. However, I think you're interpreting it that way based on your current mood. ;)

We make decisions based on staff discussion. Anything important is subject to a quorum.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:22:34 »

Nope, nobody is basically saying that. However, I think you're interpreting it that way based on your current mood. ;)

We make decisions based on staff discussion. Anything important is subject to a quorum.

jwaz stop confusing me with big words, thats not fair

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:22:59 »

Except for reading the actual rules you're enforcing?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:26:54 »
So mods and admins cant sell.

Or was that rule taken out so boost can be part of redline?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:33:39 »
So mods and admins cant sell.

Or was that rule taken out so boost can be part of redline?

I am not longer a redline member, this has happen for some time now.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:35:18 by boost »
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 16:01:08 »

You guys should really sit down and chat with one another before saying things that are contradictory. 

On 4/2/14, at 2:15 PM, tjcaustin - wrote:
> Hey, legit question, are artisans bound by VTOS

On 4/2/14, at 2:18 PM, hashbaz wrote:
> that is a legit question
> I think, in general, "no"
> but I don't think it's been hashed out yet

If that's changed in the near hour since I talked to hashbaz, ok, but then the question arises of "What in the blue hell was the point of separation if everything is going to be treated the same except that non-commercial sellers are segregated?"
this was an offhand comment made informally in some form of chat or instant messaging by hashbaz. to clarify, hashbaz was talking about _enforcement_ of the vtos and guidelines. the vtos is a contract that has a solid legal interpretation and it subsumes any issues of enforcement as far as what is ultimately allowed and what is not.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 16:19:04 »
The question at hand wasn't about the legitimacy of the VTOS but rather if artisans were considered to automatically be under it's purview.

One person says no.  Another says yes.  The VTOS themselves said maybe, if they fit into x, y or z based on a,b,c before this blew into a ****storm and 1d was added.  I'll admit to not seeing that part of the edit when I asked what I did.

Now that 1d has been added, questions are nullified, which is fine, but being vilified for asking said questions is bad business.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 16:30:17 »
1D has not changed at all.  The only changes were as follows:

* injected " In the absence of a vendor forum, commercial postings may be made in the artisan services forum with permission from Moderator Team and/or an administrator." as the new 5B.

* changed 6A from"Forum Administrators shall take actions necessary to ensure compliance with the VTOS." to "Forum Administrators and Moderators shall take actions necessary to ensure compliance with the VTOS."

And today corrected the wording in 5B (it said "made be made", which was a typo, so it was changed to "may be made")
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 16:32:40 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 20:07:34 »
It's been a month since this posting, and I'm surprised no one caught the typo in the title. "Purpose" :p
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: ARTISAN SERVICES - SUBFORUM PURPOSE AND POSTING GUIDELINES
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 21:49:10 »
I am looking to start a thread for my wrist rests here in the artisan section, I was wondering if there is a post count minimum to do so?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 11:01:48 »
I am looking to start a thread for my wrist rests here in the artisan section, I was wondering if there is a post count minimum to do so?

Requirements to start your own thread are the same as for the Classifieds: 2 months of membership length + 25 for the post count value.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 12:23:00 »
Thanks for the reply , looks like I still have about a month left then

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:32:48 »
Usually how long does it take for a sale thread to be approved?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:37:03 »

Just depends on who's around. Approved it. Sorry for the wait!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:38:14 »

Just depends on who's around. Approved it. Sorry for the wait!
No problem, thanks for your work!

Offline AphelionXII

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:41:42 »
I am trying to post a thread in the Artisan Services board, but can't seem to find the button?  Is there some kind of post count I need?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 11:14:52 »
I am trying to post a thread in the Artisan Services board, but can't seem to find the button?  Is there some kind of post count I need?

From what I understand posting in the artisan section has the same requirements as posting in classifieds, 25 posts and 2 months of membership. You can always PM a moderator for details.

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:19:36 »
Just curious. How long does it usually take before the thread gets approval?  ;D

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:34:23 »
Just curious. How long does it usually take before the thread gets approval?  ;D

soontm? :p

If it takes too long, please hit the Report to moderator link and report that it is pending approval. :thumb:

Offline gloyz

• GloyZ
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 13:25:00 »

If it takes too long, please hit the Report to moderator link and report that it is pending approval. :thumb:

I put up a new thread a few days ago, tried the report to moderator, & have seen mods on since and am still not getting approval on mine, so I'm worried I did something wrong in my post?? I'd like to get up and running since we have a giveaway being drawn in a few days and prepping for a sale in less than 10. I know everyone is busy, so mostly just wondering if there was something in my post I shouldn't have put or ?? (We are new so I may have oopsed!), if I'm just being impatient, just let me know and I'll be more patient!! Thank you!!
FIND US AT: 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 14:18:40 »

I put up a new thread a few days ago, tried the report to moderator, & have seen mods on since and am still not getting approval on mine, so I'm worried I did something wrong in my post?? I'd like to get up and running since we have a giveaway being drawn in a few days and prepping for a sale in less than 10. I know everyone is busy, so mostly just wondering if there was something in my post I shouldn't have put or ?? (We are new so I may have oopsed!), if I'm just being impatient, just let me know and I'll be more patient!! Thank you!!

Have you tried reporting your own thread to a moderator, with a request to approve it as the comment?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gloyz

• GloyZ
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 14:57:41 »

Have you tried reporting your own thread to a moderator, with a request to approve it as the comment?

^Yep, no success...  :( I guess I just need to be more patient...
FIND US AT: 

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 09:30:50 »

^Yep, no success...  :( I guess I just need to be more patient...

It's been approved.  Man these mods... :rolleyes:

Offline ArtKey

• https://www.instagram.com/artkey.universe/
    • ArtKey - Your MechKey Companion
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 06:47:42 »
Hi modes,

I am currently making pieces of artisan keycap and relly want to sell them to Geekhack users. May i know the conditions of posting post of Artisan services subforum & Group Buys and Preorders subforms?

Cheers

Offline RitzyKraken

• Ritzy Kraken
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 11:43:13 »
I’m not seeing an option to create a post in the Artisan Services category. Am I doing something wrong?
Artisan wrist rest maker in the USA
https://www.instagram.com/ritzykraken/

Offline Raw Studio

• Discord: leo22#2956
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 29 June 2023, 10:50:36 »
Hi mods, I sent some messages to the moderation team account but didn't get any response yet. Could you please help to let me know how to have the right to post here as I can see others maker still can make new post?

I am an artisan maker and really want to advertise my sculpts here. Thanks

Offline ___Aihey___

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 11 October 2023, 22:55:30 »
Hi What information should I submit to be approved