Author Topic: Project Zealio - 62g/65g/67g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing  (Read 454526 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: Project Zealio - 62g Purple "MX Clear" Switch in transparent housing
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 21:49:11 »
So, silly question maybe, but when you say these switches will be 4-pin LED compatible, you're talking about 4 thru-holes for the LED to sit on the top of the switch like normal LEDs?

This variant:
Show Image

OK, so the LEDs will still sit on the switch top, and not just shine through from underneath the clear body?

Correct.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #401 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 13:13:32 »
Will these switches have a high actuation point compared to cherry?  For some reason that bothers me about all the other Gateron switches and, on paper, doesn't sound like my preference.

Really I don't notice it at all when switching between gaterons and cherries.

Agreed with azhdar, the actuation point as I remember it on Gaterons isn't different from Cherry.

Will these switches have a high actuation point compared to cherry?  For some reason that bothers me about all the other Gateron switches and, on paper, doesn't sound like my preference.
Gaterons have the same actuation point as cherry, don't they?

That's my bad guys.

I thought for sure I read that somewhere on here.  In that case that makes me pretty hype for these switches then.  Sucks that I bought maybe 4 or 5 sets of 62g springs though,  :))

Offline qwack

« Reply #402 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 14:26:52 »
So, silly question maybe, but when you say these switches will be 4-pin LED compatible, you're talking about 4 thru-holes for the LED to sit on the top of the switch like normal LEDs?

This variant:
Show Image

This is going to be glorious. Do you know where to buy this king of RGB LEDs ? I had a RGB controller in the works but put it on hold due to the lack of easy to use LED form factor.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #403 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 15:21:19 »
D-79 with project zealio - this is so, so cool. Wow.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #404 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 21:48:18 »

This variant:
Show Image

This is going to be glorious. Do you know where to buy this king of RGB LEDs ? I had a RGB controller in the works but put it on hold due to the lack of easy to use LED form factor.

Those types of LEDs are usually only sold to large keyboard OEM's in tens of thousands.  I will be stocking them once a proper RGB LED PCB has been developed.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #405 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 22:02:27 »
So whens my review packet coming?
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #406 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 22:23:31 »
Those types of LEDs are usually only sold to large keyboard OEM's in tens of thousands.  I will be stocking them once a proper RGB LED PCB has been developed.
This explains why I'm not being able to find those LEDs on AliExpress. Maybe Alibaba?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #407 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 22:28:37 »

Really I don't notice it at all when switching between gaterons and cherries.

Agreed with azhdar, the actuation point as I remember it on Gaterons isn't different from Cherry.

Gaterons have the same actuation point as cherry, don't they?

That's my bad guys.

I thought for sure I read that somewhere on here.  In that case that makes me pretty hype for these switches then.  Sucks that I bought maybe 4 or 5 sets of 62g springs though,  :))

lol, I just bought a set of 62g springs from Sprit for some Ergo Clears in my Jane, but I think I'm going to put these instead.

Offline qwack

« Reply #408 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 18:50:18 »

Neat. Thanks.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #409 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 19:04:35 »

This variant:
Show Image

But the switches also support the regular 2x3x4mm, 3mm, 1.8mm LEDs that are out there, right?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #410 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 19:06:15 »

This variant:
Show Image

But the switches also support the regular 2x3x4mm, 3mm, 1.8mm LEDs that are out there, right?

Correct.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #411 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 02:04:10 »
Gateron Ergo Clears with Gateron Clear Casing.

:cool:

Offline mtl

« Reply #412 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 20:59:44 »
This variant:
Show Image

In the near term, these may be a little bigger and require bending the pins, but they work alright and are available in smaller quantities.

MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline potatowire

« Reply #413 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 21:10:40 »
I am definitely in for a at least a hundred of these. Can't wait!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #414 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 21:13:48 »
You asked for it, we delivered.

Introducing Project Zealios - 62g gold plated springs in an exclusive custom made Purple "MX Clear" stem. No ErgoBrown Gateron bull**** (cough). This is the real deal. Along with the project was a custom made transparent switch bottom housing to maximize LED lighting. Switch will be compatible with 4-pin RGB LEDs (not pictured). The purple stems have the tight stem cross removed from the original MX Clear stems. No more accidental switch breaking! Yay!

Show Image

Oh man.. Those purple stems are beautiful..  :thumb:

Offline animated

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Reply #415 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 12:24:32 »
Very nice!

Questions:

1. Was anyone breaking their switches because of the tight stem on the clears?  I didn't see any disadvantage to those fat stem crosses but I liked that it make me feel that my caps weren't loose (I've had some trouble with loose caps, maybe I got a faulty batch of browns), but I won't mind if the stem isn't fat if it doesn't have any advantage to it.

1. Yes, it's a huge problem that's quite widely known. Especially happens on tight keycaps (GMK ABS, Gateron PBT, etc)
If you were using imsto keycaps, those are generally very loose keycaps. That may be why it felt "just right" on MX Clears.
Show Image

Sorry I've been away from the keyboard scene for a couple of months, but Gateron switches break when using GMK ABS and Gateron PBT?

Das Browns, Filco Reds, Filco Blues, Leopold FC750R Reds, B.87 and B.Pad Gateron Blacks 65G Korean Springs, Varmillo VA87MR Gateron Blacks w/ Aluminum Case

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #416 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 12:27:54 »
Very nice!

Questions:

1. Was anyone breaking their switches because of the tight stem on the clears?  I didn't see any disadvantage to those fat stem crosses but I liked that it make me feel that my caps weren't loose (I've had some trouble with loose caps, maybe I got a faulty batch of browns), but I won't mind if the stem isn't fat if it doesn't have any advantage to it.

1. Yes, it's a huge problem that's quite widely known. Especially happens on tight keycaps (GMK ABS, Gateron PBT, etc)
If you were using imsto keycaps, those are generally very loose keycaps. That may be why it felt "just right" on MX Clears.
Show Image

Sorry I've been away from the keyboard scene for a couple of months, but Gateron switches break when using GMK ABS and Gateron PBT?

No, cherry mx clear stems tend to hold on to certain keycaps tighter and when you aren't careful removing the keycaps you will pull the stem right out of the switch. In Zeal's reproduction switch in partnership with Gateron they have tried to leave off that aspect of the mx clear stem.

Offline animated

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Reply #417 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 12:31:32 »
Very nice!

Questions:

Show Image

No, cherry mx clear stems tend to hold on to certain keycaps tighter and when you aren't careful removing the keycaps you will pull the stem right out of the switch. In Zeal's reproduction switch in partnership with Gateron they have tried to leave off that aspect of the mx clear stem.

Thanks for the quick reply SpAmRaY, I was sweating there for a moment. 
Das Browns, Filco Reds, Filco Blues, Leopold FC750R Reds, B.87 and B.Pad Gateron Blacks 65G Korean Springs, Varmillo VA87MR Gateron Blacks w/ Aluminum Case

Offline dante

« Reply #418 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 08:29:14 »
for the future..

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Gimme GB naow!!!

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #420 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 20:57:48 »
Gimme GB naow!!!

Samples have been shipped out. Hopefully receive it by the end of the week. If not, I'll receive it on Monday.

Once I receive samples and they've been sent out to testers, I'll be receiving their feedback. That process should take around a week. If everything's A-OK, GB will commence at the end of August. :)

Offline dante

« Reply #421 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:03:15 »
Gimme GB naow!!!

Samples have been shipped out. Hopefully receive it by the end of the week. If not, I'll receive it on Monday.

Once I receive samples and they've been sent out to testers, I'll be receiving their feedback. That process should take around a week. If everything's A-OK, GB will commence at the end of August. :)

Any thoughts on producing a Gateron "MX Green"?

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #422 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:24:16 »
Gimme GB naow!!!

Omahgosh I can't wait, I really want to build my gf a keyboard with these. We both love purple and this is absolutely perfect with the color, spring, and clear housing!  ;D :p Can not wait.
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #423 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:27:40 »
I can't decide whether to continue with my current project (60%, already bought switches, leds, stickers, SIP sockets, springs) or ditch it and wait for this to drop...

Leaning towards the latter, because these are pretty sick.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #424 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:28:55 »
It just occurred to me, is this the first time an MX Clear equivalent Gateron switch has been made?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #425 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:43:08 »
Gimme GB naow!!!

hype hype hype hype hype hype hype  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:47:18 »
Gimme GB naow!!!

It already exists. I got a few samples fresh from their production line at the factory, but they were prototyping, and the spring weight wasn't right. I told them about it, so it should be fixed now. I can provide some pics later in the evening.

It just occurred to me, is this the first time an MX Clear equivalent Gateron switch has been made?

Yes. I worked & invested with Gateron to make the improved MX Clear stem. :)

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #427 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 22:33:41 »
Zeal is the hero we need   :thumb:  :-*
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Zeal gimme some zealios so I can put them in a razer board

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #429 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 00:17:25 »
Zeal is the hero we need   :thumb:  :-*

but not the one we deserve
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #430 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 01:29:49 »
Gimme GB naow!!!

Offline dante

« Reply #431 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 08:37:31 »
So what will the Gateron Green switch weight be set at?

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #432 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 09:11:35 »
Zeal I really hope you're ready to be buried under the mountain of caps gateron's going to send you when this goes live.  :))

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #433 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 09:35:03 »
So what will the Gateron Green switch weight be set at?
They should be similar to regular MX Greens. Gateron Greens weren't my custom order, and I don't have the final product on hand.

Zeal I really hope you're ready to be buried under the mountain of caps gateron's going to send you when this goes live.  :))
Caps? They're switches! ;)

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #434 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 09:36:15 »
Caps? They're switches! ;)

:blank:

Yes, switches... caps on the brain.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #435 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 12:27:19 »
The more I think about these, the more I want them...

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #436 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 16:33:46 »
Yup,  these are going on my Mira!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
That's what I'm doing!

:thumb:

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #438 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 17:37:35 »
Putting these on my ALT 60.  :p

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
That's what I'm doing!

:thumb:

me three  :))
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #440 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 22:30:06 »
If these are smoother I wonder how will lighter Springs would work

Offline ika

« Reply #441 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 09:03:23 »

Well given Gaterons have only been popular for the lesser part of a year, the answer is yes. I think this is the first time MX Clear type switches have been available from anyone other than Cherry.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #442 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 10:14:37 »
Whoa, purple clears is exactly what I didn't know I needed.

Really excited for this!
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #443 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 11:24:14 »
Wow, it's been a good while since I've dropped by this thread. :D
Amazing to see the progress. Would defo get some for a 60% I've been planning for awhile.
1 q though, will the stock springs be 62g or some other weight? :O
Am very excited! :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #444 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 11:27:53 »
Amazing to see the progress. Would defo get some for a 60% I've been planning for awhile.

Stock will be 62g gold plated springs.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #445 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 11:55:24 »

Stock will be 62g gold plated springs.

Sick stuff bro  ;D even more hype now  ;)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #446 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 12:14:57 »
Are there any details about the group buy available yet?

Specifically when?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #447 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 12:16:58 »
Are there any details about the group buy available yet?

Specifically when?
Gimme GB naow!!!

Offline Phirr

• If you don't work you die.
« Reply #448 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 13:13:23 »
Is there information on an expected price or is that a secret?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #449 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 13:15:40 »
Is there information on an expected price or is that a secret?

Sorry if this has been asked already and I'm sure it depends on how many switches are ordered but might there be a rough estimate of cost per switch on these? thanks Zeal!

How much are these going to cost though?

Can we expect them to be around the same price point of cherry switches or is it going to be significantly higher?

It will be priced higher than Cherry switches, but under $1. Pricing is still being finalized.

This is what has been posted so far.