Author Topic: Hello! Anyone else still enjoy old Alps keyboards?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline AlpsNanako

Hello! Anyone else still enjoy old Alps keyboards?
« on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 23:15:06 »
Hows it going?

My friends call me Nanako, but I'm male. It seems that I've been lurking for about 3 years. I stumbled upon geekhack attempting to find a replacement of my now dead Macintosh M1242 Adjustable keyboard. Ever since, I've learned that there is a world of people that still love & use their old clicky keyboards from days long past. I wanted to finally join and contribute to this wonderful site! I'm currently using a Dell AT101W with black alps switches.  ;D Whats up geekhack! :D

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: Hello! Anyone else still enjoy old Alps keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 23:23:10 »
Welcome.  You decided to get active at a great time, so much Alps love going on right now  :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 23:25:18 »
I love Alps so much :D. Welcome to GH!

Offline AlpsNanako

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 23:53:42 »
Welcome.  You decided to get active at a great time, so much Alps love going on right now  :thumb:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm stoked to see people really liking alps switches. I haven't found an alternative switch type that comes close to the feel.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 00:06:19 »
Yes!

And if anything, the tactile (actually originally clicky but they spewed a bunch of lube inside to mute the click) low profile Alps switches in the Apple adjustable keyboard, and the tactile black complicated Alps switches in the Dell keyboards, are among the less preferred switches.

Wait until you try orange or blue Alps! :-)

Offline AlpsNanako

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 00:45:07 »
Yes!

And if anything, the tactile (actually originally clicky but they spewed a bunch of lube inside to mute the click) low profile Alps switches in the Apple adjustable keyboard, and the tactile black complicated Alps switches in the Dell keyboards, are among the less preferred switches.

Wait until you try orange or blue Alps! :-)

There's better feeling alps switches? :eek: I MUST FEEL! I recently bought a couple of Macintosh keyboards to attempt the "Retr0bright" treatment; a M0116 Standard keyboard and a M3501 AEKII off ebay. Doing a quick search reveals that the M0116 came with either salmon or orange alps. I can't wait to see [what's in the box?!]

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 00:49:03 »
One thing to note: the niceness of Alps switches depends quite dramatically on how good condition they are: storage in a very dirty environment for 20 years can make a switch fill up with dust and dirt, and wind up with a “scratchy” feel. Storing a keyboard with the keys pressed down for an extended period of time (for example storing a bunch of keyboards in a giant pile with no other support, as sometimes happens when they get sent to e-cyclers) wears out the leaf spring and reduces the switch tactility. Alps-switch keyboards which have been left in a box and never used feel amazingly smooth and delightfully snappy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 October 2014, 00:51:45 by jacobolus »

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 07:09:52 »
Welcome to GeekHack.

Man, now I gotta try Alps...
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline MahBoi

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 08:31:46 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

I know the feeling with old keyboards. I really find myself fascinated with different switches, and I'm always combing eBay for something new for my fingers to try out. There's been a lot of renewed interest in Alps lately, thanks to Matias and a lot of custom PCBs supporting Alps. There's also an Alps keyset coming down the pipeline.

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:41:09 »
I love all kinds of keyboard switches - however Alps are the only ones that make me want to type faster.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:44:20 »

There's better feeling alps switches? :eek:

Blue alps are some of the best switches I've typed on.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 03:03:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Alps is one switch I haven't tried much, apart from green Alps.  The trouble is, where to start?  There are so many :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ