Author Topic: Hello there Geekhack!  (Read 1023 times)

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
Hello there Geekhack!
« on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 20:41:49 »
Hey there! I've lurked this forum every once in a while and I thought it might be handy to have an account. Anyway, I'm a gamer with my own custom-built computer (that I built myself) and I like keyboards a lot, although I sadly do not own any mechanical boards yet. I might make my own in the future though, I'm an enthusiastic DIY type of guy that likes a nice challenge. Anyway, I thought I'd just say hello before asking any questions.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello there Geekhack!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 03:23:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Making your own keyboard is actually a fair bit more work than making a computer - making a computer generally involves installing the mobo into a case, plugging in a few cards, RAM, CPU and PSU, connect HDD or SSD and you're done.

Making a keyboard can involve as much as soldering all the components to the PCB, potentially customising the switches (e.g. different springs, landing pads), soldering switches on, choosing and soldering LEDs on, installing and even programming the controller, arranging a case and cable.  And then you can start choosing from the myriad of keycaps available.

Surprising, eh? :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 03:30:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Looks like rowdy has you covered in terms of your next steps!  :thumb: Let us know if you need any help being pointed in the right direction.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:29:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Making your own keyboard is actually a fair bit more work than making a computer - making a computer generally involves installing the mobo into a case, plugging in a few cards, RAM, CPU and PSU, connect HDD or SSD and you're done.

Making a keyboard can involve as much as soldering all the components to the PCB, potentially customising the switches (e.g. different springs, landing pads), soldering switches on, choosing and soldering LEDs on, installing and even programming the controller, arranging a case and cable.  And then you can start choosing from the myriad of keycaps available.

It's not really THAT surprising, I'm prepared to do all of those IF I do decide to build my own. I have the soldering and fabrication skills already, and I'm sure I could figure out the programming if I tried hard enough. If not, I have plenty of programmer friends that would be glad to help me out :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 03:15:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It's not really THAT surprising, I'm prepared to do all of those IF I do decide to build my own. I have the soldering and fabrication skills already, and I'm sure I could figure out the programming if I tried hard enough. If not, I have plenty of programmer friends that would be glad to help me out :D

Sounds like you might enjoy building a keyboard!  And if you do get stuck, there are plenty of people here to offer advice, or help with diagnosing a problem if there is one.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ