Author Topic: Hello from England  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Lomomn

Hello from England
« on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 06:14:21 »
Hi there!
I thought that I would join you folk this year because reddit was getting a little bit immature for me, and this place seems more serious/less spam.
I enjoy collecting every type of keyboard that I can find, and recently, I have been getting into producing keycaps. I may even start making them for the more obscure/vintage keyboards too.

In short, I hope I can find a place in your community, and maybe learn something new!

Also, Happy New Year!

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Hello from England
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 07:52:13 »
Hi there!
I thought that I would join you folk this year because reddit was getting a little bit immature for me, and this place seems more serious/less spam.
I enjoy collecting every type of keyboard that I can find, and recently, I have been getting into producing keycaps. I may even start making them for the more obscure/vintage keyboards too.

In short, I hope I can find a place in your community, and maybe learn something new!

Also, Happy New Year!

Hello, fellow /r/MK refugee. It's nice here without constant LOOK I GOT A KEYBOARD and without ripster.

Offline Lomomn

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 15:52:45 »
Hi there!

Also, Happy New Year!

Hello, fellow /r/MK refugee. It's nice here without constant LOOK I GOT A KEYBOARD and without ripster.

Is the way to reply to people on GH to quote like this? Or to just address them?
Also, Ripster wasn't even that bad. It was just the constant bragging over new gaming keyboards on the front page.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 17:40:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There is a lot of serious talk on GH, and many members whose knowledge of arcane keyboards is unbelievable!

There is also a certain amount of frivolity, but that is to be expected on the internet :p

If you are replying to a specific post, we do usually quote (the relevant part/s of) that post and reply underneath it.

There is also a multi-quote facility which works sometimes :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 23:52:00 »
Welcome to GH!

I'm not against /r/mk but there's just so many posts showing regular stock keyboards, or people asking about what to buy, just man up and buy the keyboard and figure things out after if you don't like the switches.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lomomn

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 07:58:43 »
Welcome to GH!

I'm not against /r/mk but there's just so many posts showing regular stock keyboards, or people asking about what to buy, just man up and buy the keyboard and figure things out after if you don't like the switches.

Most of the new people that arrived at /r/MK could have read the wiki, read the sidebar and used search to find what they were looking for, but they didn't. I have nothing against the regular users of that subreddit, just the new people couldn't be bothered to read a little instead of asking a question that had been asked many times before them.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 08:00:33 »
Yeah it's kind of annoying.
It is just me here or is the wiki kind of hard to navigate. I can do it but it takes a lot of effort.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lomomn

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 13:31:59 »
It is just me here or is the wiki kind of hard to navigate. I can do it but it takes a lot of effort.

Yep. It isn't organized too well and I mostly use F3 to get around it  :))

Offline natzim

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 16:54:42 »
People always ***** about Ripster, but I don't see why. All it is is a little rivalry. He keeps all of his ****posts to /r/Ripster now.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 17:39:07 »
Hey man, welcome to the forum! :D Where abouts are you from? Shropshire lad here :)

Offline joey

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 16:02:47 »
Hey man, welcome to the forum! :D Where abouts are you from? Shropshire lad here :)

Cambridgeshire represent!

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 12:26:19 »

Reddit wiki is a terrible tool. It is barely usable. I'm amazed ripster spent so much time putting that much content onto it.

Offline Lomomn

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 17:50:58 »
People always ***** about Ripster, but I don't see why. All it is is a little rivalry. He keeps all of his ****posts to /r/Ripster now.

Nothing wrong with ripster at all! He is great, but his reposts are a little annoying. His contributions have outweighed his annoyance, though.

Offline Lomomn

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 17:52:48 »

Dorset! What is the weather like up in Shropshire?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 23:49:18 »

Nothing wrong with ripster at all! He is great, but his reposts are a little annoying. His contributions have outweighed his annoyance, though.

Maybe he's mellowed in his old age :))

Or maybe not ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rossviper

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 07:13:54 »
Hello everyone,

I'm from Northampton, but work in Banbury, Oxford.

My IBM M2 is a joy in the office!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 03:30:49 »
Hello everyone,

I'm from Northampton, but work in Banbury, Oxford.

My IBM M2 is a joy in the office!

Is there a touch of sarcasm there? :))

I use MX greens, another guy uses MX blues (actually one of my keyboards that he is borrowing), and another guy has a rubber dome keyboard but it sound like he is trying to push it through the desk with every key stroke.

I'd like to take one of my Model M in to see what reaction I'd get, but it is too big to fit in my backpack to take on the train.

Offline MessyCaps

• Stressed out cap maker taking a break :S
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 04:31:25 »
Hi there!

Also, Happy New Year!

You are not the only one to get fed up of memes/k70 pretty lights on /r/MK.
Welcome to the mature side of keyboarding addicts.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 04:49:21 »
MessyCaps, nice readonizing job on your Poker

hello OP, seems like you're not used to the forum format judging by your question. small tips: quote the post you're replying to if it's separated by another post(s). no need, if your reply will be directly underneath. if it's a long post and you're only replying to a certain segment, you can also quote only that part. hope you enjoy the site and best of luck to your wallet

Offline rossviper

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 13:51:25 »
Hi there!

Also, Happy New Year!

You are not the only one to get fed up of memes/k70 pretty lights on /r/MK.
Welcome to the mature side of keyboarding addicts.

just a touch! I have a Dell ATW102, and 122 model m and a Model M2, they are all loud, but the M2 is like a train comijg down the line!!! :-D))