Author Topic: Hi from Hong Kong  (Read 1048 times)

Offline jamster

Hi from Hong Kong
« on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 06:29:47 »
Hi all,

I'm returning to mechanical keyboards after many years of using rubber domes (but pretty good ones- a remarkably good Wyse branded full size and a Thinkpad Ultranav USB). I'm pretty amazed at how bad keyboards that come with new PCs are these days.

My old boards are a couple of IBM Model Ms (US and UK layout) and a Northgate Omnikey, the last with it's really awkard key layout. I had to give these up now that I have wife- the IBMs are the best boards I've ever experienced, but they do sound rather like distant machine gun fire.

Looking to try a TKL board on my home PC so as to try the "get the mouse closer to the centre of the desk" thing, so it's good to see that mechanical boards have come somewhat into play again. I'm probably going to end up with clear switches, perhaps swapped out to silghtly lighter springs, as soon as I can confirm that this won't simply turn them into Browns.

I'm extremely impressed with the geek quotient of geekhack.org  :)

Offline just1n

Re: Hi from Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 07:05:41 »
Welcome to the (G H), 

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 07:29:55 »
Welcome on board!
Good choice choosing the TKL route. Looks like you know what you want with the switches. If you are looking for something "closer to the center of the desk" also consider 60%. With the right fn layer, they got everything a normal keyboard has with an even smaller footprint.
Its unfortunate you had to give up your Model Ms, I just got one and I see the beauty in them.
Good luck with your search!
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 08:54:37 »
Welcome to GH!

so do you still have the old boards just put away somewhere? because you could sell them to fund a new quieter board.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 03:38:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Are your ears blocked?  My Model M sounds like fairly close gunfire to me :p

Clears are similar to browns, in that they are tactile but silent switches.  I believe the clears have a slightly bigger bump, at least my switch tested seems to support that hypothesis.  Unfortunately unless you find a PCB-mounted keyboard, you will be up for a lot of desoldering a resoldering in order to be able to open the switches to swap springs.

Actually that sounds like a cue for someone to build a custom board with custom switches ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MessyCaps

• Stressed out cap maker taking a break :S
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 04:18:27 »
Hi all,

I'm returning to mechanical keyboards after many years of using rubber domes (but pretty good ones- a remarkably good Wyse branded full size and a Thinkpad Ultranav USB). I'm pretty amazed at how bad keyboards that come with new PCs are these days.

My old boards are a couple of IBM Model Ms (US and UK layout) and a Northgate Omnikey, the last with it's really awkard key layout. I had to give these up now that I have wife- the IBMs are the best boards I've ever experienced, but they do sound rather like distant machine gun fire.

Looking to try a TKL board on my home PC so as to try the "get the mouse closer to the centre of the desk" thing, so it's good to see that mechanical boards have come somewhat into play again. I'm probably going to end up with clear switches, perhaps swapped out to silghtly lighter springs, as soon as I can confirm that this won't simply turn them into Browns.

I'm extremely impressed with the geek quotient of geekhack.org  :)

If you want the mouse closer to the desk why not go for a 60% or even a 40%?
Unless you need them arrow keys then stick with a TKL. Welcome to Geek Hack!