Author Topic: New Here, Keycaps are Like Cocaine  (Read 2395 times)

Offline TheOpposition

New Here, Keycaps are Like Cocaine
« on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 16:03:12 »
Hello Everyone,

I was very fortunate to have been turned on to a Ducky 1087 by a fellow user (fl03wn).  He's to blame for the madness that's ensued.  Now, my 3rd Poker II is on the way, and I've ordered a JD40.  ;D  I hope to get to the point that i'm able to build a kit myself one day, perhaps a 60% ISO layout? Now these KEYCAPS, I can't believe i'm just now seeing this world of colors, profiles, dye methods, and different designs. Hack'd by GEEKS! Come on... I couldn't resist em. Thanks for making all these designs and kits available!

I like the DSA profile the most, and I'm partial to MX Clears and Browns.

I'm glad to be part of the community, you'll find me asking questions and burnin $$$$.

Thanks Trevor...

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:52:01 by TheOpposition »
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline topreenthusiast

• Cheese Gromit
Re: New Here, Keycaps are Like Cocaine
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 16:28:00 »
Hey! I am new here too. I share the sentiment, they are totally addictive. I scored my first custom clack today, and it was like doing a bump off a strippers stomach. I am never going back.
Filco Majestouch Ninja - - - HHKB Pro 2

Offline TheOpposition

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 12:50:16 »
Hey! I am new here too. I share the sentiment, they are totally addictive. I scored my first custom clack today, and it was like doing a bump off a strippers stomach. I am never going back.

Reminded me of the beginning of "Wolf of Wallstreet" hehe
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 12:53:02 »

Bump off a strippers stomach??   Is there a SFW gif??  Having a hard time visualizing?   And yes keycaps can be like crack .... and an endless drain of finances   :eek:

Offline TheOpposition

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:53:02 »

Bump off a strippers stomach??   Is there a SFW gif??  Having a hard time visualizing?   And yes keycaps can be like crack .... and an endless drain of finances   :eek:

I'll be around until my wife catches a glimpse of the statements recently....
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:17:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Building a keyboard is not that difficult, if you have a steady hand, a good soldering iron, and lots of patience.

But it is best to practice on some old electronics first, or perhaps a learn to solder kit ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheOpposition

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 01:57:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Building a keyboard is not that difficult, if you have a steady hand, a good soldering iron, and lots of patience.

But it is best to practice on some old electronics first, or perhaps a learn to solder kit ;)

Thanks for the advice, I'd pick one up but they are out of  stock :(
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 02:50:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You could send a PM to mkawa (here on GH) and ask if they will be coming back into stock.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheOpposition

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 18:24:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You could send a PM to mkawa (here on GH) and ask if they will be coming back into stock.

Thanks a lot Rowdy
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 18:28:18 »

Clacks are like strippers?, you have a very active imagination to compare a piece of plastic, that by the way most of the time is very ugly, with a girl.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 00:00:40 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks a lot Rowdy

Good news!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64846.msg1644144#msg1644144

You might have read about that already.

Offline TheOpposition

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 15:22:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks a lot Rowdy

Good news!

I've done and gone crazy, my Hakko FX888D is on it's way along with a desoldering gun... I can't wait to start sucking some solder up!
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 23:52:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks a lot Rowdy

Good news!

I've done and gone crazy, my Hakko FX888D is on it's way along with a desoldering gun... I can't wait to start sucking some solder up!

That's the spirit - spend!

And make, of course.

And then post pictures ;)