Author Topic: New from Vermont  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
New from Vermont
« on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 08:07:15 »
Hey guys and gals~
I am a 25 year old female who just got her first mechanical keyboard about 6 months ago. It's a bland ole rosewill rk 9000 with cherry MX blues full layout and non backlit she's definitely a beater POS but has been a good intro board for me. I like the tactile feel as well as the click but as I live with other people a board with Browns or Clears would be best. I also just recently won a giveaway of some custom key caps 2x war masters 1x translucent gas mask 1x Santa and one other cant remember the name of it. Anyways I have a bad feeling I have caught the bug, fever , cap lust etc... Whatever you want to call it lol... As I now spend a good portion of my free time on forums and other sites researching caps and obsessing over all the really awesome stuff out there. I just recently joined the MassDrop vortex backlit Doubleshot PBT drop and have ordered a couple small sets from a few enthusiast sites. ( God the 4-6 week shipping from MassDrop SUCKS, but I guess that's the way group buys work ) I found that a couple sites will not even let you purchase caps unless you do it from a geek hack account and as this is one of the biggest fonts of keyboard and click clack knowledge and resources on the market I felt I would probably start an account. One thing about me is that I am NOT  into drama and I am here purely because I really like keyboards and custom key caps and everything that comes with them. I want to learn more about this stuff and this seemed like a good place to start. Please have patience with me if some of my questions seem newbie-ish as this is all new to me. Thanks again and I am looking forward to getting to know this site and its community!
Sincerely
Sed8op8 (Ashley)
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: New from Vermont
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 08:11:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack! I think there are fans of the Rosewill 9000 around...but maybe only because Newegg accidentally priced them for $25 one time haha.

Anyways caps are pretty fun but the wait for them can be hard. 4-6 weeks isn't bad to be honest. I've waited more than a year for some group buys :(.

Vermont? I miss living there. It's beautiful and the people were friendly. I was in Burlington for a little while.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your time here :).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 08:17:25 »
My wife's Rosewill 9000 MX Brown with Back Petal controller, rainbow PBT, and some HK

It's a good board!

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:08:07 »
My wife's Rosewill 9000 MX Brown with Back Petal controller, rainbow PBT, and some HK
Show Image

It's a good board!
Wow that actually looks really nice. Love the rainbow caps are they the key cool ones. Question have you had any problems with the mini USB on your wife's board. I heard there was definetly a lot of issues with the port coming loose. They were supposed to have fixed it in newer models.... I haven't had any issues with mine I was just wondering if my board was going to crap the bed all of a sudden. Anyways thanks guys.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:15:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack! I think there are fans of the Rosewill 9000 around...but maybe only because Newegg accidentally priced them for $25 one time haha.

Anyways caps are pretty fun but the wait for them can be hard. 4-6 weeks isn't bad to be honest. I've waited more than a year for some group buys :(.

Vermont? I miss living there. It's beautiful and the people were friendly. I was in Burlington for a little while.

Thanks I definitely appreciate the welcome. I have to admit I was a. Little nervous to post here as people make it sound like this sites members will hunt you down drip melting abs plastic in your eyes if you are not the baddest ass keyboard/keycap aficionado on the planet. Vermont is gorgeous but too damn cold it was -40f below zero 2 days ago with windchill. I live in essex which is right outside of burlington. Thanks again for the welcome.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:29:10 »
I need to take an hour or so an read this sites guidelines/policies/procedures/formats etc.... So I can navigate a little better and figure out what's what I just have been working a lot lately. Wow some of these custom caps are wild..... With the color layouts and and the custom built backlit keyboards. You mofos take your key craft seriously eh? Lol.... Seriously though my jaw and obsession/must have that meter have been bouncing from floor to ceiling since I started seeing some of people's creations and collections. It really has inspired me to start planning a custom 60% board. I have fairly decent soldering skills so why the hell not right..... Is it just me or does it seem like it takes supernatural timing and a lot of word of mouth to find about how to go about buying some of these key caps when they go on sale. Anyways eyes closing must sleeeeep night all

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 04:09:57 »

Thanks I definitely appreciate the welcome. I have to admit I was a. Little nervous to post here as people make it sound like this sites members will hunt you down drip melting abs plastic in your eyes if you are not the baddest ass keyboard/keycap aficionado on the planet. Vermont is gorgeous but too damn cold it was -40f below zero 2 days ago with windchill. I live in essex which is right outside of burlington. Thanks again for the welcome.

Welcome to Geekhack!

There's no need to be nervous posting here, this is the kindest community I've ever been a part of. I've met many, many kind and helpful people during my short time here so far. Someone will always be willing to help you out.

I too am planning a custom 60% build, although I haven't decided what direction I'm going to go with it yet. I already have an acrylic Sprit 60% case that I'm not using anymore.. I'm thinking of buying a GON Nerd60 PCB and plate, and putting Gateron clears from the GB that just started into it. For now, I'm continuing work on my Phantom and QFR.

It's cool that you have some soldering skills, I'm jealous. I'm still learning, I just picked up a Hakko FX888D the other day. Practice makes perfect though, right? ;D

Keep an eye on the classifieds, group buys, and interest check subforums if you're looking for some interesting stuff. There are some really cool group buys going on right now, although some of them just ended a little while ago.

So, what's your favourite switch type? So far, my favourite switch has been the lubed blacks with 55g gold-plated springs I put into my Phantom.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 06:13:00 »
Show Image

It's a good board!
Wow that actually looks really nice. Love the rainbow caps are they the key cool ones. Question have you had any problems with the mini USB on your wife's board. I heard there was definetly a lot of issues with the port coming loose. They were supposed to have fixed it in newer models.... I haven't had any issues with mine I was just wondering if my board was going to crap the bed all of a sudden. Anyways thanks guys.
I git them from Feng.

We haven't had trouble with the USB port. If it does come loose I'll solder it

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 06:20:30 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

There's no need to be nervous posting here, this is the kindest community I've ever been a part of. I've met many, many kind and helpful people during my short time here so far. Someone will always be willing to help you out.

I too am planning a custom 60% build, although I haven't decided what direction I'm going to go with it yet. I already have an acrylic Sprit 60% case that I'm not using anymore.. I'm thinking of buying a GON Nerd60 PCB and plate, and putting Gateron clears from the GB that just started into it. For now, I'm continuing work on my Phantom and QFR.

It's cool th you have some soldering skills, I'm jealous. I'm still learning, I just picked up a Hakko FX888D the other day. Practice makes perfect though, right? ;D

Keep an eye on the classifieds, group buys, and interest check subforums if you're looking for some minter,resting stuff. There are some really cool group buys going on right now, although some of theme just ended a little while a
So, what's your favourite switch type? So far, my favourite switch has been the lubed blacks with 55g gold-plated springs I put into my Phantom.m
kl

Thanks for the warm welcome .  As far as switches go i haven't tried many besides Cherry Kailh and Razer. I always liked Blues for Typing and Browns for everything else but my boyfriend has an old model m kicking around and Ir had liked how the switches had more resistance. So naturally when I was able to try greens and clears I loved them. I know it's what everyone says but I really love cherry clears. I've been trying to find a poker ll with clears but since they announced the poker 3 I have not been able to find a poker ll brand new at all (a reasonably priced  one i should add). Also after seeing all the really amazing custom keyboards its really given me some inspiration to start my own. Thanks again and I look forward to running into you down the road.
P.s. oh I forgot to ask what's the deal with the gatetron switches I've heard about them recently but really don't know jack about them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 06:49:38 »

I was literally going to say that living in Vermont is the coldest I've ever been. The wind off the lake is crazy haha.

And lol, I definitely wasn't knowledgeable at all when I started. I started off with a Razer Blackwidow. Aesthetically not the best keyboard but it survived 2.5 years of constant use and finally died to a spill. Poor thing :(.

Feel free to ask questions! Or if you're not comfortable posting yet, send me or another member you take a liking to a PM with questions :D.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 07:13:01 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

It's cool th you have some soldering skills, I'm jealous. I'm still learning, I just picked up a Hakko FX888D the other day. Practice makes perfect though, right? ;D

Keep an eye on the classifieds, group buys, and interest check subforums if you're looking for some minter,resting stuff. There are some really cool group buys going on right now, although some of theme just ended a little while a
So, what's your favourite switch type? So far, my favourite switch has been the lubed blacks with 55g gold-plated springs I put into my Phantom.m
kl

Thanks for the warm welcome .  As far as switches go i haven't tried many besides Cherry Kailh and Razer. I always liked Blues for Typing and Browns for everything else but my boyfriend has an old model m kicking around and Ir had liked how the switches had more resistance. So naturally when I was able to try greens and clears I loved them. I know it's what everyone says but I really love cherry clears. I've been trying to find a poker ll with clears but since they announced the poker 3 I have not been able to find a poker ll brand new at all (a reasonably priced  one i should add). Also after seeing all the really amazing custom keyboards its really given me some inspiration to start my own. Thanks again and I look forward to running into you down the road.
P.s. oh I forgot to ask what's the deal with the gatetron switches I've heard about them recently but really don't know jack about them.

IBM boards are great, I love my Model M. Buckling springs are my favourite clicky switch for sure. I like greens as well.

The Pokers are nice too, I used to have a Poker X. I liked it quite a bit, it was a fun little board. I'm not too into stock boards anymore though, especially non-programmable boards.

If you're interested in doing an easy mod to your Rosewill, you could check out this thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46700.0

They're replacement controllers for Costar boards, your board probably uses the Black Petal. They allow you to program every key on the board however you would like. You just open the case, pull out the old controller, and put in the new one. No soldering required. I'm using a Frosty Flake in my QFR, and it's working great.  :thumb:

The Gateron switches are Cherry MX-compatibles, so basically knockoffs. The linears really intrigue me, all of the reviews say they're incredibly smooth, like a vintage MX black. Linear MX black and red are my favourite switches, so I NEED to try these.  :)) The super light 35g linears (Gateron clear) also sound really interesting. I ordered 100 blacks, and 100 clears.

Here's a link to a Gateron review: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68113.0

And here's a link to the group buy: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68943.0

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 00:57:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Some of the keyboards pictured here are the results of years of collecting.  You seem to have started with a nice collection of artisan keycaps, but I feel sorry for your wallet if you have already been bitten by the bug.  Advance warning of sales usually just means knowing which thread to watch ;)

qtan has some Poker II:

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/black-kbc-poker-2-61keys-mecha/lid=44399345
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/kbc-poker-2-61keys-mechanical-/lid=35050923

No clear switches though.

Also the recommended reading thread provides a few essential things to read to help you find your way around.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 February 2015, 00:59:26 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ