Author Topic: New to mechanical keyboards  (Read 1830 times)

Offline br4n_d0n

New to mechanical keyboards
« on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 22:35:19 »
Hello, I'm new to mechanical keyboards, was looking to build my own keyboard, and try to program it. I figured if I was going to do this, I might as well do it right and go crazy. I started off by getting a switch tester (WASD 6 Cherry MX switches) and I've been looking to try out the Gateron versions because I want to know what else is out there. I kind of like the Cherry MX Reds, but wanted to try something between a Cherry MX Black and a Red, which looks like a Gateron Yellow or Black. Though, it's kind of all up in the air at the moment because it's hard to get a feel for the switch with only having 1 of each. So, I'm looking to get at least a minimum of 4 switches of the Gaterons, but I'm finding it hard to find a place that sells small amounts for a really good price (guess I'm being cheap  :-[). It would be nice to try out all of the Gateron versions, but they may be a waste if I'm not a big fan of the heavy variants (seems like they will tire out the fingers).

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: New to mechanical keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 23:35:33 »
From what I gather, a lot of people like Gateron Blacks. I am not a fan of linear switches myself, but there are plenty of people who are. If you want to start out by building a board, that's a pretty sizeable commitment!

I think there are usually a lot of boards on Massdrop that have Gaterons, I've not bought one from there in a while, but if you really wanted to try out a switch with more than one switch, you could try getting a cheap one of those. Or ask in the free stuff thread in the classifieds :)

Oh, and welcome to Geekhack"
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline PQTran

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 00:28:55 »
Welcome to the forum!
It's cool that you're jumping right in and looking to build a keyboard.
Have you done similar kinds of projects before?

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 00:36:39 »
I recommend this: https://shop.clueboard.co/LED-Switch-Tester.html

Although it's only one of each switch, you would be able to try out many different types. Not only that, but you would be able to practice soldering if you aren't familiar with that yet.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 02:02:06 »
I have some gateron switches I could send you a few for free. I have blue, black, clear, and brown. Pm me if interested

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 08:58:10 »
Welcome to the forum!

Not sure if I would consider it similar, but I like to mod and make things. I was also hoping to use this as a way to teach myself C. I've dabbled in it before and nothing really beyond Hello World or anything, but I know scripting languages and a little server side, so it's not like I would I'd be completely lost or anything.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:37:22 »
Welcome to the forum!

Not sure if I would consider it similar, but I like to mod and make things. I was also hoping to use this as a way to teach myself C. I've dabbled in it before and nothing really beyond Hello World or anything, but I know scripting languages and a little server side, so it's not like I would I'd be completely lost or anything.

If you're wanting to learn C, then read this http://www.ime.usp.br/~pf/Kernighan-Ritchie/C-Programming-Ebook.pdf

It's written by the guys who wrote the C programming language.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:39:33 »
Hi, welcome. I look forward to the many build logs  ;)
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:17:36 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Find a source of switches will be the least of your worries if you want to build and program your own keyboard.

There is an offer of switches above, but another idea is to go halves with someone in a groupbuy for switches, as such GBs usually provide 100 or 120 switches.  If you can find someone who wants 100 switches, you can grab the other 20 and spare postage.

Or, and perhaps this is more difficult for Gateron switches, find an old, broken keyboard on eBay and harvest switches from it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ