Author Topic: [GB] GMK CYL 1520  (Read 10911 times)

Offline hark

[GB] GMK CYL 1520
« on: Tue, 05 March 2024, 22:26:17 »

CYL 1520 will use UV printing as well as double shot ABS.

Kitting

Renders

Vendors

US: NovelKeys
EU: Oblotzky
UK: ProtoTypist
SEA: ilumkb
ASIA: zFrontier
AU: Daily Clack

Pricing

Base - $125 USD
Extension - $40 USD

GB Date

March 1st - March 29th

Signature

[/size]
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114662.0][img width=400 height=150]https://i.imgur.com/rjvqXEg.png[/img][/url]

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] GMK CYL 1520
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 16:04:49 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline AMZ

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 March 2024, 00:31:17 »
Is the numbers will be shared?

Offline NoFace

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 March 2024, 06:48:12 »
Fun fact, shop which is the closest to the factory where keycaps are made, is the most expensive (148,98$ for the base kit, based on current exchange rate, excluding shipping)..
I am wondering, why GMK is not able to give shops in Germany better deals to support their local market.

Offline Nevrest

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 16:32:15 »
Fun fact, shop which is the closest to the factory where keycaps are made, is the most expensive (148,98$ for the base kit, based on current exchange rate, excluding shipping)..
I am wondering, why GMK is not able to give shops in Germany better deals to support their local market.

There's other factors at play here, I don't think GMK charges any more or less for any of the vendors, but you have to factor in the cost of labor.
The vendors that run the GB's do a lot behind the scenes, and that requires labor. Someone who's in Germany will therefor charge a bit more than someone in say Singapore, where the labor prices are lower.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 20:19:10 »

because VAT

hard to offer good prices if you have to factor in 19 to 25% of the item value in the final price

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 00:38:58 »
I bricked a board today and jumped on GH for the first time in months to get help...

If there is a higher power out there, they work in weird ways. I would have missed this if not for my bunk firmware. So happy to see this running!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline NoFace

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 12:59:43 »
There's other factors at play here, I don't think GMK charges any more or less for any of the vendors, but you have to factor in the cost of labor.
The vendors that run the GB's do a lot behind the scenes, and that requires labor. Someone who's in Germany will therefor charge a bit more than someone in say Singapore, where the labor prices are lower.
because VAT

hard to offer good prices if you have to factor in 19 to 25% of the item value in the final price

All of those are fair points, but from business perspective, it should not happen, that item produced literately next door, is more expensive locally, than the same exported item.
Every seller has to deal with additional costs, but GMK margins are high enough, from my point of view, so they can make sure, that regular price is equal or lower on local market, in comparison to foreign market.

What is the point of publishing pricing, which at the end might be 25% more...

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 15:04:21 »
because VAT

All of those are fair points, but from business perspective, it should not happen, that item produced literately next door, is more expensive locally, than the same exported item.
Every seller has to deal with additional costs, but GMK margins are high enough, from my point of view, so they can make sure, that regular price is equal or lower on local market, in comparison to foreign market.

VAT is legally necessary within Europe for Oblotzky. There is literally nothing they can do about it. If you take off the VAT, and use the current exchange rate, it is actually 80 cents cheaper for the base kit.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 15:05:24 »
I bricked a board today and jumped on GH for the first time in months to get help...

If there is a higher power out there, they work in weird ways. I would have missed this if not for my bunk firmware. So happy to see this running!

So happy the Geekhack gods brought you here in time  ;D

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 15:45:32 »
because VAT

I think the point you are missing is that in Europe, Australia and several other countries sales tax is reflected in the item price. In the USA however consumers like to get cucked by taxes at checkout instead.

So even though things may appear cheaper from a pricing table perspective, folks in the USA and folks in Europe may end up closer than you think

Offline Nevrest

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 16:34:54 »
because VAT

VAT is legally necessary within Europe for Oblotzky. There is literally nothing they can do about it. If you take off the VAT, and use the current exchange rate, it is actually 80 cents cheaper for the base kit.

This^^, if you select shipping outside the EU you can see the actual cost. For this set for example it cost €113.45 from Oblotzky without VAT. VAT goes the the government, not the vendor/GMK

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 16:44:51 »
More
because VAT

I think the point you are missing is that in Europe, Australia and several other countries sales tax is reflected in the item price. In the USA however consumers like to get cucked by taxes at checkout instead.

So even though things may appear cheaper from a pricing table perspective, folks in the USA and folks in Europe may end up closer than you think

Also, US sales tax varies state-by-state.

from https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/state/2022-sales-taxes/

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 05:12:08 »

tbf lowest VAT in europe is 19% which is roughly double than the highest sales tax in the US. not to mention some EU states where VAT ramps up to 22-25%. still way rougher for the folks in europe.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 29 March 2024, 23:35:09 »
i think i got in at the last minute

Offline Trackpoint

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 22:48:53 »
How did this do? NovelKeys says "order placed" so I guess everything hit MOQ?

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 21:18:40 »

Novelkeys has transitioned to pre-orders, instead of group buys as they ensure each set they run is made. The set hit MOQ and everything will be made  :thumb:

Offline keepoto

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 09:26:22 »

Novelkeys has transitioned to pre-orders, instead of group buys as they ensure each set they run is made. The set hit MOQ and everything will be made  :thumb:

congrats!

Offline Trackpoint

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 10:33:15 »

Nice, good to hear!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 April 2024, 12:18:47 »

Offline chaos2theory

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 April 2024, 16:17:04 »
I cannot believe I missed this after following this keycap set for literally years.

Any chance there will be a second GB?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 19 April 2024, 16:38:08 »
I cannot believe I missed this after following this keycap set for literally years.

Damn. I'm sorry that can't feel good. Maybe you'll find look getting some extras in-stock?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 19 April 2024, 17:09:17 »

Vendors will definitely have extras so keep an eye out. Also, Novelkeys usually hosts extras pre-orders.