Author Topic: Pok3r LED question  (Read 2003 times)

Offline mniels

Pok3r LED question
« on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 15:52:20 »
OK, I have added LEDs to a Pok3r and it is on firmware version 1.17.

From what I have been able to find, FN+X should be the initial trigger to activate the LEDs, but it ain't happening.

I have not been able to dig up any other info....thoughts?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Pok3r LED question
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:32:19 »
They go in backwards, for real.  Did you know that.  Put + in -

Please say you knew this.

Other than that, make sure you are on the default layer (or reset the layer you are on)

Turn the brightness up.  I believe the lowest setting is OFF.  They may just be turned down.

Also, they have like 4  settings.  On, breathing, light up when pressed, etc... press the keys to make sure you aren't in the one of those animations that only lights when pressed?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:35:21 by reececonrad »

Offline mniels

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:34:10 »
Well, with your sarcasm I honestly cannot tell if you are joking or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:37:30 »
Well, with your sarcasm I honestly cannot tell if you are joking or not.

No, I am serious.  I just was hoping you read that on other threads, and already knew this so you didn't have to desolder every single one.  The leds truly do go in reverse polarity to what the PCB says.  And if you have them all soldered in the wrong way, that is a lot of work that will have to be undone.  I know, because I've added LEDs to mine.

Please be very careful when you desolder, because the pads are pretty easily "lifted" and destroyed.  My hack job ended up with 5 jumper wires from changing my mind on the color :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3j8s8l/pok3r_now_supports_leds/
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:39:55 by reececonrad »

Offline mniels

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:39:51 »
Well, ain't that a *****. Sorry man, thought you were just being a smart ass.

What really sucks is how much work is was to get the original solder out. I guess the upside is that I have only soldered in the alphas. :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:41:31 »
Well, ain't that a *****. Sorry man, thought you were just being a smart ass.

What really sucks is how much work is was to get the original solder out. I guess the upside is that I have only soldered in the alphas. :)

I totally feel ya.  It was my first soldering attempt and I desoldered with a wick.  Took forever and burned the **** out of my hands.  I've sinced purchased a cheap desolder pen/pump and I like it a lot more.  Takes some time to learn how to use it effectively but it works wonders.

Offline mniels

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:42:25 »
Yeah, I am using a pump and it still sucked.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 16:46:28 »
So, when you desolder be very careful to not overhead the little metal rings on the PCB (the pads).  Be gentle with them.  If you see some yellowish-brown paper around the hole... it's gonna be borked.  The good news is you can jump a wire over to the next (similar polarity) hole most likely and get power.  You'll also know if you've lifted the pad when you go to resolder because the solder will just sit on the led leg (since it has no metal left on the PCB to fuse to)