Author Topic: Numpad clear  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Entropia

Numpad clear
« on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 08:34:57 »
Is numpad clear (aka Numpad5 with the numlock off) the only key that does nothing in Windows (apart from scrolllock and pause)? Is there any program, operating system, key combination or any other circunstance where it does something? Why was it designed this way instead of having a function like the rest of keys? I think it could work as del key, instead of having del repeated on the front of the numpad.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Numpad clear
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:05:42 »
I don't know of any instance in which numpad 5 ever had a non-num function Oo . In quite a few terminal layouts, cross navs have a Home button in the middle, but that's already on 7 in a numpad so there's no need.

Tbh I'd have much preferred a T nav on the numpad (as well as on aforementioned terminals).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:22:14 »
I think that it makes sense that it is dead in the center of an arrow set. That is a weird place begging to me mis-struck.

On my 122-key terminals, I map it to be another down arrow, so that muscle memory can remember the inverted-T if it wants to.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:49:52 »
I think "clear" on the numpad is a mac thing.
REΛLFORCE