Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1237955 times)

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #3400 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:19:08 »
Wow, that looks REALLY fragile. 0_0   Be sure to let us know how that holds up.
By the way, this is shaping up nicely... good work on the mod.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3401 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:44:08 »
Thanks for the comment.

I think L-shaped connector and a proper case will help.

This should be my final ErgoDox build (waiting for Axios), still working on it.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3402 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 01:45:42 »
I'm on the opposite side from Crash -- that looks really durable. Be sure to let us know how it holds up! ;)

As you may know, I finished my own ergodox, and am using off-board RJ11 plugs. Well, no -- plug, singular, on the left, with cables that are too short and the thing is squished into a stiff downward unmoving state. The right side has a raw phone cord soldered straight to the board.

Works beautifully, but I've had it freeze, I think, twice. Once might have been me locking myself into a hidden layer I know I didn't like that layout and re-flashed it a few hours later. The other time, I think it really froze and I had to re-seat the USB cord to the PC.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
MD firmware limitation?
« Reply #3403 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:27:44 »
Okay so pardon me if I'm covering old ground, but ... I'm at work, and frustrated by my windows PC not hearing my keyboard. Except I was playing around, and just figured out a workaround.

Logging in / unlocking the screen requires hitting the reset-sequence, 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' -- and it never works.

Then I found that, rather than plugging in my QFR long enough to log in, I could instead hit the somewhat awkward combination using just the left hand. BUT THERE'S A R_ALT DEFINED, doggonit! So, more playing around.

If I hold down the r-alt first, THEN use the left-hand keys, it works. But if I push Control, or Delete first ... the 'alt' addition (from the right side) never gets added. Left-only keys work in any order.

Does TMK fix this ? Does anything? I can use the Lshift without difficulty - Shift, KeyOnRight, release, keep typing ... nothing strange there. Just this particular combination that I've seen so far, but then again this may be, aside from capitol letters, the only cross-hand combination I use.

Edit: it looks like you don't have any cross-hand key combos, so you wouldn't run into this problem. I could just not use one side, or as I say use the RH keys first ... that's just dumb, is all I'm saying. But thank you for your input, Larken. ... I'll look into this further.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 June 2014, 12:53:32 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Larken

« Reply #3404 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 02:13:33 »
Okay so pardon me if I'm covering old ground, but ... I'm at work, and frustrated by my windows PC not hearing my keyboard. Except I was playing around, and just figured out a workaround.

Logging in / unlocking the screen requires hitting the reset-sequence, 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' -- and it never works.

Then I found that, rather than plugging in my QFR long enough to log in, I could instead hit the somewhat awkward combination using just the right hand. BUT THERE'S A R_ALT DEFINED, doggonit! So, more playing around.

If I hold down the r-alt first, THEN use the left-hand keys, it works. But if I push Control, or Delete first ... the 'alt' addition never gets added.

Does TMK fix this ? Does anything? I can use the Lshift without difficulty - Shift, KeyOnRight, release, keep typing ... nothing strange there. Just this particular combination that I've seen so far.

Let me see if I got that right. You're saying "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" doesn't work when pressed together in that sequence?

If that's so, that's rather odd, as I'd tried a few times (my firmware is compiled with the massdrop configurator), and it works every time. It could be the keycode used - the only alt I have on my layout is LAlt instead of the RAlt. I think you'd be able to fix it with a minor tweak to your layout.

My layout for reference.

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=7M8A25&hash=b9a85468bac475f741a1626cff4a6e93

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline ic07

« Reply #3405 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:50:30 »
Is it possible that with your software layout (non-US?), RAlt is being interpreted as AltGr?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3406 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:03:59 »
Is it possible that with your software layout (non-US?), RAlt is being interpreted as AltGr?
"US - Dvorak" doesn't have an AltGr, to my knowledge. Also, I've (albeit rarely for awkwardness reasons) logged in with the right alt of a standard keyboard on this PC -- and I've used the dvorak layout for longer than I've been at my current job (14 years) So I don't believe that's the culprit.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline ic07

« Reply #3407 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:38:39 »
Hmm... that is strange.  Reading over your post more carefully, I still have no other ideas about what might be going on (and no Windows box to test on).  You might consider redefining your RAlt key to use the LAlt keycode (so that you have two LAlt keys, one for each hand), unless you need to be able to differentiate between the two in the OS.  If that doesn't work, you might post more about your layout -- or possibly just try Hasu's firmware, or my partial-rewrite branch, or just compiling your massdrop generated layout (if that is indeed what you're using right now) by yourself -- I suppose any of them has a chance... :)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3408 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 17:03:22 »
Thanks for trying, ic07.

I'm trying to wrap my head around CubUniac's rewrite of TMK, and I may include a 'lalt' on the right because as you say, I don't strictly need the OS to differentiate right now. Still, I predict it will boil down to some oddity of I2C ... in which case, moving from BenBlazenk / MD to Cub or Hasu's code might be enough.

Too, there's that rewrite-on-the-fly firmware that was written completely free of TMK; I've got it on my todo list to make the 'windows hack' branch and try it out, too.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3409 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 21:29:52 »

So my left-handed ergodox has been semi-completed. Now awaiting the granite set's arrival before it is considered as... complete.

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3410 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 21:42:38 »
Those connectors look interesting, are they RJ45?

I am also thinking about a single-handed, left-handed board (I got one spare PCB left). It seems possible to follow the right-hand placement, and just put the keys in the reverse side. This should be easier and no need to modify the firmware.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3411 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 21:55:14 »
Those connectors look interesting, are they RJ45?

I am also thinking about a single-handed, left-handed board (I got one spare PCB left). It seems possible to follow the right-hand placement, and just put the keys in the reverse side. This should be easier and no need to modify the firmware.
Yes they are. The initial prototype relied on a mess of IDE cables but this is a lot more elegant if I do say so myself. Credits to my dad who supplied me with the interconnects.

Basically, for the teensy, you just need to ensure that the ground and the VCC pins are attached to the right place. Every other pin is fair game.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #3412 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 23:55:57 »
I don't suppose there will ever be a Ergodox with real Function keys?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #3413 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 21:19:09 »
Started work on mine today.  I'm missing two diodes for the switches.  /grump.  Off to radio shack tomorrow.  Hope they have some.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #3414 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 06:04:52 »
I don't suppose there will ever be a Ergodox with real Function keys?
well, not really, cos by definition it would then not be an ergodox ;) but you might wanna look at acidfire's axios, that has F key options. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.1350

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #3415 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 02:42:01 »
Started work on mine today.  I'm missing two diodes for the switches.  /grump.  Off to radio shack tomorrow.  Hope they have some.

something to watch out for at the locations where your thumb rests there are spots where it looks like diodes should go but don't.  I thought I was short and noticed I mounted the SM diodes at the wrong spot there.

Radio Shack does have the right diode values but they are not the SM diodes that you get with the kit.  they only have the through hole kind.  It will work but it's not -as- nice for these supposedly.

Offline tbc

« Reply #3416 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 01:17:18 »
hey all,

so i've had my ergodox for like a month or so now and it is SPLENDID.

but I'm having 2 issues with it, one aesthetic and one functional, and I wanted to know if there's any way to fix them:

1.  the thumb cluster.  (functional)

I currently use the 4 out of 5 keys on the right bottom layer of the main section to work as arrow keys.  This is okay, but it's not an inverted T and that makes me sad.

I see on the PCB that there is room for all 1x keys (eight total). 

so, here's the problem:  do we have a CAD design for a plate with all 1x thumb keys?

if we do, i'm golden, but if we don't, I could go pcb mount, but how does the pcb fit into a litster case?  It seems like having a plate is required.

2.  controllers are top mounted (aes.)

I really don't like the look of the controllers on top. I know that it's better to have the teensy on top so the reset button is accessible, but I really don't need to use that button very often.

is it possible to have BOTH the io expander and teensy on the other side?  I guess i don't really care which hand the teensy is on.

this also affects my plate situation.  if there is a all-1x thumbs plate, then does that drawing also NOT have the cutouts for the controllers?  without those cutouts, i can go for a super 'seamless' low profile look :D

thanks for your thoughts :D
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3417 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 08:31:46 »
so, here's the problem:  do we have a CAD design for a plate with all 1x thumb keys?

We do, but I didn't really cut them, so I am not sure about how accurate they are:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52037.0

is it possible to have BOTH the io expander and teensy on the other side?  I guess i don't really care which hand the teensy is on.

It is.
You can place every thing except keyswitches as usual, then flip the PCB and put the keyswitches / diodes in the reverse side. And that's it.
However, the layout will now be mirrored, because the left and right hand side will be swapped.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 08:35:17 by plainbriny »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3418 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 09:47:23 »
if we do, i'm golden, but if we don't, I could go pcb mount, but how does the pcb fit into a litster case?  It seems like having a plate is required.

You might have a look at my GB thread for 16ga metal cases ... in the middle of that somewhere, JDcarpe posted a 'spacer' .dxf, which I think could be cut out of 5mm acrylic and used in lieu of a plate.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline goflo

« Reply #3419 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:30:47 »
I just visited Ergodox.org and was searching for the acrylic case files. If you click on the download link on the page there´s a 404. Is the dxf still available?
- Ergodox Classic/Browns/Grifiti Rests  | - IBM Model M Blue Label |  - Poker II MX Blue | - Ergodox Classic/Blues/Grifiti Rests

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3420 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:35:41 »
I just visited Ergodox.org and was searching for the acrylic case files. If you click on the download link on the page there´s a 404. Is the dxf still available?

Here: https://github.com/bishboria/ErgoDox

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3421 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 21:06:10 »

This is not possible. Those two need to be on different sides in order for the matrix to bridge between PCBs.

Offline tbc

« Reply #3422 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 21:10:29 »
no...not the SAME hand.  on the other sides of their respective boards so that the top of each pcb is blank except for solder joints and switches.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3423 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 21:17:30 »
no...not the SAME hand.  on the other sides of their respective boards so that the top of each pcb is blank except for solder joints and switches.

Oh sorry, I am an idiot. Ignore me. :P

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3424 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 23:25:26 »

This is not possible. Those two need to be on different sides in order for the matrix to bridge between PCBs.

I think you misunderstood.
My interpretation is that tbc don't want to see the io expander and teensy, so he want to put these in the bottom of the PCB. And it is possible, you just need to reverse the placement of some components.

Of course its just my interpretation, tbc should be able to clarify this.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3425 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:49:21 »

I think you misunderstood.
My interpretation is that tbc don't want to see the io expander and teensy, so he want to put these in the bottom of the PCB. And it is possible, you just need to reverse the placement of some components.

Of course its just my interpretation, tbc should be able to clarify this.

It's possible alright, but I broke my IO expander in the process, so I had to manually wire leftie and rightie using two RJ45 cables. I'm also unsure which joints you're supposed to short on the TRSS cable.

Basically, you just mount it in reverse, but you'll cut off access to the teensy boot button. Kinda like dorkvader's leftie gamepad, but then you still expand to the right side.

Also, good luck and have fun. My build will probably be completed tonight or so :)

Offline tbc

« Reply #3426 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:53:14 »
it IS easier moving the teensy to the LH right?  so I just literally flip both hands to the other side, and swap them.  THEN i solder the switches.

that way, the teensy pins are in the normal orientation.

if I keep the teensy on the right hand side, I need to solder the pins facing upwards.  the end result of that is the button will be almost touching the ergodox pcb?

Offline ic07

« Reply #3427 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:22:25 »
it IS easier moving the teensy to the LH right?  so I just literally flip both hands to the other side, and swap them.  THEN i solder the switches.

That should be easier as far as soldering (especially the I/O expander).  It would be more difficult to generate layouts though.

if I keep the teensy on the right hand side, I need to solder the pins facing upwards.  the end result of that is the button will be almost touching the ergodox pcb?

This way layouts would work as normal, but soldering would be more difficult.

Also, are you sure the Teensy will fit underneath the PCB inside the case you're using?  Others seem to be implying it, but I can't recall if anyone's tested.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3428 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:31:13 »
Technically, yeah, you're right. If you're planning on soldering on the bottom, it's easier on the left. I'm not that good with PCBs to know what to do next to get the TRSS to work (that and the broken IO expander), which is why I used 2 RJ45 cables.

Good luck getting the MD case to work though... I've tried it and it wouldn't fit, although in my horniness to try it I may have gone ahead and did some bad things.

Offline lkong

« Reply #3429 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 10:10:53 »
well this is my ergo alps build.
The main problem is key caps....
im still two caps short, and the news is apple has its own profile  :eek:

Offline tbc

« Reply #3430 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 11:54:40 »

That should be easier as far as soldering (especially the I/O expander).  It would be more difficult to generate layouts though.

This way layouts would work as normal, but soldering would be more difficult.

Also, are you sure the Teensy will fit underneath the PCB inside the case you're using?  Others seem to be implying it, but I can't recall if anyone's tested.

i'm usung AKM's meral ergodox case and i ordered enough for 4 hands.  that should let me mix and match to give me enough room :)

Offline ic07

« Reply #3431 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 13:34:04 »
Oh cool, I hadn't heard of AKM's case before.  I also hadn't seen a board with Alps before (@Ikong: nice :) ).  Lol, guess I'm pretty out of the loop by now...

Technically, yeah, you're right. If you're planning on soldering on the bottom, it's easier on the left. I'm not that good with PCBs to know what to do next to get the TRSS to work (that and the broken IO expander), which is why I used 2 RJ45 cables.

If you just solder everything as normal, but the switches on the opposite side, things should work.  Or alternately, if you're soldering the chips upside down underneath the board, you just need to make sure everything is going through the same hole it would have been had you soldered everything normally on the top of the board.  About the I/O expander, they're pretty cheap... actually, shipping would be the most annoying thing, if that's all you're ordering.  If you're still concerned about it, you might send a quick message to Massdrop to see if they could help.  Maybe not of course, since you broke it, but they're pretty nice people, so it could be worth a try.

Good luck getting the MD case to work though... I've tried it and it wouldn't fit, although in my horniness to try it I may have gone ahead and did some bad things.

Grr, I suspected.  For the sake of completeness (even though tbc is using a different case), it's possible that it might barely fit underneath in a litster if you mounted the Teensy flush with the PCB (i.e. without those black spacers on the pins).  You have to be careful doing this, and put plastic or something between the Teensy and the PCB to insulate it, but it seems to work :) .  I mounted the Teensy this way on the top of some of my boards, so that I'd have room for LEDs above it in my modded Litster cases.  Of course, if one wanted to go crazy, one could also desolder the Teensy's USB connector, and just run their wires directly to save vertical space.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3432 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:49:35 »
My dox actually has a few run-off cables... since the RJ45 cables will never fit in the keyboard, I had to make a port outside the case... with associated dangling cables. Truly cyberpunk in nature.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #3433 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 04:52:45 »
So I guess I should post here as well.  I just finished re-building mine with AKmalamute's alu case.
It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing - it's raw aluminum - but the quality of laser work is superb.

I also used MD's clear acrylic top and bottom plate.  Looks nicer with those.

So here's the detailed pic showing all the layers and how I have them separated.  pretty much self-explanatory.

Two M3 nuts (4~5mm) separating the top layer and the plate.  This provides just enough clearance for teensy + on-board usb.
I have 8mm aluminum spacers between the plate and the bottom (idea suggested by dorkvader).
I wouldn't use anything shorter than 8mm.  Might short the switches and/or teensy. I got those spacers from here

tented with these

Vinyl wrapped in brushed metal finish :thumb:

Offline ic07

« Reply #3434 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 11:59:32 »
Nice :) thanks for the pics.  I imagine, like the acrylic only case, it looks even better in person.  Can't say I'm a fan of three noncontiguous layers in general though...  For some reason they just look unfinished to me...

Offline yuiop

« Reply #3435 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 13:56:48 »
It doesn't bother me that much but I can see why it would bother some :)  I also ordered some 'spacer' layers which were designed to fill the gaps between those main layers.  But I ended up not using them for this build mainly because it already felt rock-solid and much more sturdy than the acrylic case I've had.  Overall I'm really happy with this build.

Offline vatin

« Reply #3436 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 23:00:36 »
Anyone know how to open the ergodox gerber PCB design file?  I tried with the opensourced gerbv program and online viewer which neither work. Renaming the file to .gbr doesn't help.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline lkong

« Reply #3437 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 13:58:55 »
Anyone know how to open the ergodox gerber PCB design file?  I tried with the opensourced gerbv program and online viewer which neither work. Renaming the file to .gbr doesn't help.
Try this one: http://www.numericalinnovations.com/pages/dfm-now-free-gerber-viewer

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3438 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 02:48:13 »
Guys, I've been having problems with my ergodox, sometimes it just "turns off". I need to unplug it and plug it back again. Do any of you is having this issue? I seriously have no clue why that happens. (I think I read something similar in a post months ago, but the search function of the board is quite limited)

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3439 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 04:43:14 »
Guys, I've been having problems with my ergodox, sometimes it just "turns off". I need to unplug it and plug it back again. Do any of you is having this issue? I seriously have no clue why that happens. (I think I read something similar in a post months ago, but the search function of the board is quite limited)

Might be due to the reset button being activated or the reset pin being shorted.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3440 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:42:33 »

Might be due to the reset button being activated or the reset pin being shorted.

Maybe that's it! I need to move the teensy key out of the way... probably to use the button only.

Thanks sakai4eva!

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3441 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:17:33 »

Maybe that's it! I need to move the teensy key out of the way... probably to use the button only.

Thanks sakai4eva!

Well, It was not solved. Seems to be happening with OSX 10.9.4. Anybody has this problem?

Offline vatin

« Reply #3442 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:57:14 »

Thanks sakai4eva!

Well, It was not solved. Seems to be happening with OSX 10.9.4. Anybody has this problem?
Try with better USB cable. I have a particular cable where it often occur, while the other cable does not. So it seems to be a factor.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3443 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:25:48 »

Thanks sakai4eva!

If you're using the massdrop kit, check your solder joints between the teensy and the USB also. Otherwise, I have no idea what you can do already.

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3444 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 07:27:24 »

Thanks sakai4eva!

Ever consider to replace the TRRS cable? Or try to improve the connections?

On my first ergodox, at first everything is ok, but after several months of use, bad TRRS cable start to kill it far too often.
The symptom is similar: ergodox will stop responding, and I have to un-plug/re-plug, but eventually this won't work.
Finally I ordered a custom cable, and it is significantly improved, nearly never happened again.

On my second ergodox, I use RJ11 instead of TRRS, and the third one use mini-usb cable.
RJ11 has been proved much much more stable than TRRS, I really love it.
The mini-usb cable seems nice and with a lower profile, but I haven't used it long enough to justify its superiority over TRRS.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3445 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 01:24:05 »

If you're using the massdrop kit, check your solder joints between the teensy and the USB also. Otherwise, I have no idea what you can do already.

It's from the massdrop kit, but the solder Joints are Fine. I test them very well, and all are perfect.

Try with better USB cable. I have a particular cable where it often occur, while the other cable does not. So it seems to be a factor.

That's actually a very probable cause. But I have a cable tester and it shows that it's perfect. It "might" be the female connector.
Same for the TRRS cable. I did also the poor man's test: moved the cables like crazy when connected to see if, for a second,
the caps lock turns off or the keyboard stops working.

On my first ergodox, at first everything is ok, but after several months of use, bad TRRS cable start to kill it far too often.
The symptom is similar: ergodox will stop responding, and I have to un-plug/re-plug, but eventually this won't work.
Finally I ordered a custom cable, and it is significantly improved, nearly never happened again.

On my second ergodox, I use RJ11 instead of TRRS, and the third one use mini-usb cable.
The mini-usb cable seems nice and with a lower profile, but I haven't used it long enough to justify its superiority over TRRS.

Do you have a picture of your keyboard?

I do not know why the TRRS was the choice (probably due to the profile?) but I can tell you that the way they connect is the same principle used on the audio jacks, and that's very solid (as tested in the audio and video industry). The cable, however, is another story.

I did restart the laptop (like a week being on) and since then all works dandy. Now to try and retest everything I put the new black plate from massdrop, clean it, and same... works!

Let me check It could be an issue with OSX. Or maybe controllermate? I'll try to see if it happens again, and I'll report back in a couple of days.

Offline jakemcc

« Reply #3446 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:54:31 »
This is going to sound a bit ridiculous but make sure you have not accidentally entered another layer. Occasionally I accidentally switch to another layer and do not realize it and consequently think something is going wrong.

As a result I've now made an LED turn on when I'm not in my typing layer. Now when I think something goes wrong I just have to look down to see if an LED is on.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3447 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:09:29 »

Vinyl wrapped in brushed metal finish :thumb:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Im in love! is there any way to "brush" the MD Aluminum plate?

BTW, is the acrylic not getting scratched?

Offline kaltar

« Reply #3448 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:13:00 »
This is going to sound a bit ridiculous but make sure you have not accidentally entered another layer. Occasionally I accidentally switch to another layer and do not realize it and consequently think something is going wrong.

As a result I've now made an LED turn on when I'm not in my typing layer. Now when I think something goes wrong I just have to look down to see if an LED is on.

Well, I have just temporary layer switchers.
Is there a way on the MD Ergodox configurator to turn the leds per layer? Or how are you doing it?

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #3449 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:50:49 »

Do you have a picture of your keyboard?

I do not know why the TRRS was the choice (probably due to the profile?) but I can tell you that the way they connect is the same principle used on the audio jacks, and that's very solid (as tested in the audio and video industry). The cable, however, is another story.

Which one? The one with RJ11 can be found in http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55043.0
The one with mini-usb can be found in page 114 of this thread
If you need more detailed pics, just let me know.

As for TRRS, I think the connector is solid and good, however, most cable we can find are just too thin and prone to break, or maybe introduce too much noise to the I2C lines.
I don't know about the cables from massdrop, but several cables (at least 3) I found all lead to non-responsiveness, more or less, after some time of use.
That's why I finally ordered a custom cable, and it worked very well.