Author Topic: [IC] GMK Purple Dragon - New Renders - 3/15/2019  (Read 55799 times)

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: [IC] GMK Purple Dragon - Poll on Massdrop - 12/17/17
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 22:38:40 »
Flame on :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 11:05:16 »
Solid orange F-row would be cool.
Still keen.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 12:24:27 »
Sweet, well I'm going to be reaching out to a couple more vendors to see if they want to help run this set.

Also, while it's sweet to have the GMK renders, I think getting some high quality renders on boards would go a long way to help show what this set could look like in the wild. Will see who I can reach out to in the community to get a few.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 21:51:05 »
Potential layout and kit update.

I can see the reactions to this going one of two ways:

• Why are you breaking apart kits when MOQ for the base may be hard to reach OR
  • Yes, this is a better approach because I hate paying for keys I don’t use.

After constantly thinking I have too many keys I don’t use in GMK sets and seeing how Zambumon broke out Jamón as well as the typical SA kit buying model, I want to introduce the idea of a more modular version of this set.

Base Kit:

Numpad Kit:

ISO Kit:

Alternates Kit:

Let me know your thoughts on this concept because I’m actually pretty excited about this. I have also trimmed out some keys that were included in the overall set as well because I think I was trying a bit too hard to get every layout anyone requested last time I was working on this actively.

Bottom line is this updated kit should cover MOST boards without blowing out cost. If there are any glaring omissions in the set, please let me know. Otherwise, this is the final version of what I’ll look to include in the overall set.

Additional things to note:

• The dot 5 on the numpad is switched to a bar.
  • Code keys are gone. I’m now using Super.
  • Added an option for an all orange or all purple F row via the alternates kit.
  • Scrapping the idea for novelties because of the expanded alternates kit and because it’ll add a cost I’m not really wanting to add as well as the complexity of designing it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2019, 22:54:16 by TheNamesTy45 »

Offline vicissitude

Re: [IC] GMK Purple Dragon - Updated Kits - 2/25/2019
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 23:15:46 »
The alternates Kit is wonderful.
I need this to feel different and special.
Super and Code keys are both fine.

Have you considered about using icon modifier?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 00:33:28 »
Would love to see some renders

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 05:09:20 »
The alternates Kit is wonderful.
I need this to feel different and special.
Super and Code keys are both fine.

Have you considered about using icon modifier?

Thanks! I'm excited for the alternates kit because I think it offers some nice choices with color.

I like icon mods a lot more usually, but when I was looking at this, I just felt it was too much orange on those keys and not enough purple without the text as well.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 05:44:05 »
I bet you my Jane 2 that ISO and Alternates won't even come close to MOQ 100 outside of Massdrop. Even on Massdrop I'd put my money down, looking how Jamon ISO is performing. IMO I'd stick with a single base kit like GMK Nines is. Just my honest 2 cents.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 06:35:27 »
New kits are perfect, in for all except iso. Soon plz, thx this needs to happen soon.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 10:35:12 »
I don’t think this set will have the appeal to split the numpad into it’s own kit. I would also prefer to see the f row alternatives cut and include the esc and enter alternative colors in the base. I understand keeping cost down for base kit buyers but this set seems so niche that the fewer kits there are will help hit MOQ.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 11:11:01 »
I don’t think this set will have the appeal to split the numpad into it’s own kit. I would also prefer to see the f row alternatives cut and include the esc and enter alternative colors in the base. I understand keeping cost down for base kit buyers but this set seems so niche that the fewer kits there are will help hit MOQ.

Makes sense, due to niche nature of colour scheme it will be more practical to combine the numpad in base as it will be marginal increase in cost but will not lead to MOQ failure. Heck, even ISO keys can be part of base. around 130-160 with everything included in a single kit will make everyone happy.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 11:16:51 »
Definitely like the feedback on the kits, and point taken. That was my hesitation with splitting them as well.

Looking like we're going back to one kit of everything included with the updates I made.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 13:02:53 »
This can be marketed to Pheonix Suns fans as well.

Offline poolside

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 16:19:30 »
Still interested in this loud set  :cool:

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 19:31:34 »
Definitely would be a great set for Suns fans. Wonder how many Suns fans are out there these days. Always loved them after my Wizards, and they're getting more exciting to watch than them too (not that it's a high bar to clear these days  :))).

Poolside, I appreciate the continued support, and thanks for hanging in there! Been a wild ride for me on this set. IRL events for me since this IC started in the first place: Got engaged, started a new job, left that job, started another job, bought a house, got married, got a dog, dog died unexpectedly, got another dog. I so badly want this set to succeed partially because it racked up a lot of sentimental value to me as it was something that was always in the background during all of that.

Also, based on the feedback of MOQs in regards to kits, I have merged all kits into the MONSTER kit. You want compatibility? You got it. You want ISO? You got it. You want Alternate colors? You got it. You want to decorate your numpad? You got it. You want me to stop messing with the kit? I think you got it now.  ;)

Should also hopefully have another treat for you guys in the coming weeks. Meantime, I'll be continuing to reach out to vendors.

Offline mimalik

Re: [IC] GMK Purple Dragon - MONSTER kit - 2/26/2019
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 06:44:48 »
YESSS!!! Looking fwd to next stage for this drop. Best of luck, in life and this drop too.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:50:57 »
YESSS!!! Looking fwd to next stage for this drop. Best of luck, in life and this drop too.

Many thanks!!

Offline Sythe

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 03:54:52 »
Cool to see this still being worked on. I have been interested since when you first started the IC.

Positives:
Still love the colour scheme.
Single kit for this kind of set is the way to go imo. Too many kits struggle to make MoQ, although I am always partial to spacebar kits these days(split spacebar all the way!).

Negatives:
If a single low cost kit is the goal though, I struggle to see why a full alternate F row would be done. If people think orange F row is better, just make that standard?
Why no text on the caps lock? I think it looks odd, especially when every other key has the text.

Neutral:
I'd love to see at least one novelty for this kit(personally feel like any group buy set needs at least one :P). Maybe like spyro horns+mowhawk or a gem. I'd personally prefer that to the alternate F row.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 05:24:36 »
My recommendation would be to replace with Win-logo, it has to be the most out of fashion thing in the GMK universe 2019. :D

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 07:16:55 »
My recommendation would be to replace with Win-logo, it has to be the most out of fashion thing in the GMK universe 2019. :D

Same opinion.  :thumb:

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 11:22:49 »

+1 for windows logo!

Offline jortzii

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 17:53:03 »

+1 for windows logo!
Add me to the scrap the win logo team, that’s a *great* place for a set novelty to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 19:30:56 »
Hey, I see this comments for the Win logo, but I will admit that I'm going to be stubborn on this particular item. I always use the Windows key from the sets I have instead of the alternative OS keys. I am leaving the "Super" caps in the set to fill the void of a platform agnostic set.

As for novelties, I have played around with the idea in the past with something like I'll post below (yes, I know it's rough, but I was just mocking something up), but I want to be very careful not to run afoul of any copyright stuff.

For the set now, I'm not planning to replace any keys. I can continue to play around with ideas for a novelty cap, but I really want to be careful that whatever it is doesn't create a conflict with copyright.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 19:35:35 »
One giant 'unit' of a kit really is the beautiful thing.

I felt a lot better buying a base set of Bento for $150 that includes a base kit (with a numpad), ISO, and Novelties and accent keys than paying the $192 Jamon costs for the same coverage with a few more novelties(?) (and I don't have to worry about child kits that barely made MOQ if I get a new board or want to sell it later)

Offline jortzii

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 22:42:32 »

I felt a lot better buying a base set of Bento for $150 that includes a base kit (with a numpad), ISO, and Novelties and accent keys than paying the $192 Jamon costs for the same coverage with a few more novelties(?) (and I don't have to worry about child kits that barely made MOQ if I get a new board or want to sell it later)
Bento was an easy in for me. Everything I wanted in one package. Got spacebar too cuz why not

Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline Sythe

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 00:55:11 »
Hey, I see this comments for the Win logo, but I will admit that I'm going to be stubborn on this particular item. I always use the Windows key from the sets I have instead of the alternative OS keys. I am leaving the "Super" caps in the set to fill the void of a platform agnostic set.

As for novelties, I have played around with the idea in the past with something like I'll post below (yes, I know it's rough, but I was just mocking something up), but I want to be very careful not to run afoul of any copyright stuff.

For the set now, I'm not planning to replace any keys. I can continue to play around with ideas for a novelty cap, but I really want to be careful that whatever it is doesn't create a conflict with copyright.

Show Image

My biggest issue/gripe is definitely the caps lock though. If it stays as just the symbol, it may be a deal breaker for me, it looks so out of place when every other key had text + symbol.

I will continue to take issue with the 2x F rows as I feel like it is unnecessary when it comes to a kit that is still trying to stay as an affordable option.

That quick mockup of the novelty would work really well imo, and to keep people happy you can make it be an alternative to the win key instead of doing 1u novelty.  :thumb:

Offline Sythe

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 00:57:01 »

Show Image

My biggest issue/gripe is definitely the caps lock though. If it stays as just the symbol, it may be a deal breaker for me, it looks so out of place when every other key had text + symbol.

I will continue to take issue with the 2x F rows as I feel like it is unnecessary when it comes to a kit that is still trying to stay as an affordable option.

That quick mockup of the novelty would work really well imo, and to keep people happy you can make it be an alternative to the win key instead of doing 1u novelty.  :thumb:

Bento was an easy in for me. Everything I wanted in one package. Got spacebar too cuz why not

Completely agree. I was looking at how they did it for Jamon and struggled to see the point when the base kit was still sitting at ~$100. Not a significant enough discount to split it up so much.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 11:49:15 »

Bento was a bit too easy for me, I ended up with 3 base kits, 3 space bar sets and 2 sets of kobe alphas :-[
If mechmarket pays out the nose for this set (like they do for every GMK set except Plum because who knows?) I'll be seeing hedge fund return rates while supporting great sets...
Basically I can't afford not to buy keysets :p

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 19:12:33 »
Been hearing a lot of push back on the caps lock. I'm set in stone on keeping the Windows key and most everything else, but I am willing to bend on the legend for the caps lock to go to a text legend instead.

If you feel strongly about the caps lock changing from the padlock to "Caps Lock", please vote here in the Google poll I set up: https://goo.gl/forms/XXUg1vH91xUl44O53

Also, please, please please ONLY VOTE ONE TIME. I didn't want to require you to sign into your Google account to fill the form out as a convenience thing for you.

If I see the poll starts to weigh heavily to text for the caps lock, I'll change it, but this is the final piece to the set I'm changing (unless there's something noted as a major miss in compatibility). Thinking about a novelty still. Trying to cook up something that both references the idea behind the set, but is also safe for copyright stuff. Thinking about something like a fireball or flame or dragon wings. Novelty not guaranteed yet or set in stone.

Offline Sythe

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 22:24:09 »
I'd also be fine with icon + text. Just icon only looks out of place imo.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 04:17:43 »

I'm not sure icon + text is a thing GMK does. I've only ever seen text or icon.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 10:18:02 »
So far just one vote in the poll for the caps lock key: https://goo.gl/forms/XXUg1vH91xUl44O53

If you feel strongly one way or the other, please vote ASAP; otherwise, defaulting to sticking with the padlock icon.

Offline Sythe

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 22:27:54 »

I'm not sure icon + text is a thing GMK does. I've only ever seen text or icon.

I think I was looking at my enjoyPBT set and thinking GMK did it as well.
The poll is a good idea.  :thumb:

Offline avid

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:39:37 »
was interested until you splitted kits up. SA works fine this way because their pricing structure is very different.

Offline Sythe

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 05:01:18 »
was interested until you splitted kits up. SA works fine this way because their pricing structure is very different.

He changed his plans back to a large kit instead of splitting after others gave feedback already.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 05:08:34 »

He changed his plans back to a large kit instead of splitting after others gave feedback already.

Sythe is right here. Back to one big kit based on the feedback I received.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 20:02:06 »
Psst. You wanna see something pretty?

Update. I'm going to cave on the Caps Lock debate. I notice an overwhelming dislike for the "purse" in the community at large based on feedback from other interest checks. Plus... I'm not really ever going to see that legend. As we all know, that's the location that the control key goes.  :)) So, basically, the render above is final set except for the "purse" to text swap. Not going to be entertaining anymore changes to the base set unless there is some massive layout incompatibility that gets spotted.

I'll let GMK know of the change and see if they'd be willing to do one final render for this set's base. If they're good with it, I'll be posting that update too. Also, have one more visual surprise cooking for you all. I'll keep you posted when it's ready.

Offline poolside

Re: [IC] GMK Purple Dragon - Updated GMK Render - 3/4/2019
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 01:25:42 »
Good to see that the alternate F-row is still there :)

Offline mimalik

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 09:03:21 »
Yes, its perfect. Now lets make it happen, and soon.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:15:42 »
Update. I'm going to cave on the Caps Lock debate. I notice an overwhelming dislike for the "purse" in the community at large based on feedback from other interest checks. Plus... I'm not really ever going to see that legend. As we all know, that's the location that the control key goes.  :)) So, basically, the render above is final set except for the "purse" to text swap.
An upside down 'shift' arrow is sometimes used on Cherry ISO boards for capslock and I think thats a good middle ground between text and the purse, but it doesn't really matter, just another option

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:40:33 »
This is unique...! Love it more I look at it

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 17:12:23 »
Update. I'm going to cave on the Caps Lock debate. I notice an overwhelming dislike for the "purse" in the community at large based on feedback from other interest checks. Plus... I'm not really ever going to see that legend. As we all know, that's the location that the control key goes.  :)) So, basically, the render above is final set except for the "purse" to text swap.
An upside down 'shift' arrow is sometimes used on Cherry ISO boards for capslock and I think thats a good middle ground between text and the purse, but it doesn't really matter, just another option

Thought about that as well before I decided on the text. But it's another option that seems to be polarizing as well. "Caps Lock" seemed to be the safe bet that will keep the highest number of people satisfied.

Also, thanks oldcat! Would love to see this set on some of the high end boards that you have. Truly an awesome collection.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 17:48:02 »
Final GMK Render is in. Quick disclaimer: This final render still had the handbag caps lock on the R4 1.25u caps lock. I went ahead and did a rough Photoshop job to change this to a text legend instead, so that's why the color doesn't look as pretty on that one cap as does the rest of the render.

As mentioned before, this set is locked. You can now just see it in its final form.

mimalik, I'm with you on the soon part. I am in contact with a vendor, and will be coordinating this with them for next steps.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 10:04:28 »
Final GMK Render is in. Quick disclaimer: This final render still had the handbag caps lock on the R4 1.25u caps lock. I went ahead and did a rough Photoshop job to change this to a text legend instead, so that's why the color doesn't look as pretty on that one cap as does the rest of the render.

As mentioned before, this set is locked. You can now just see it in its final form.

Show Image

mimalik, I'm with you on the soon part. I am in contact with a vendor, and will be coordinating this with them for next steps.

Awesome, anything orange and I am in, looking fwd to this drop; btw thx for great effort in taking our feebacks and making adjustment promptly.

Offline kimwonsik

Re: [IC] GMK Purple Dragon - Final GMK Render and Update - 3/6/2019
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 19:33:08 »
I support you.
I'll be waiting for GB.
 :thumb: :thumb:

Offline vicissitude

Re: [IC] GMK Purple Dragon - Final GMK Render and Update - 3/6/2019
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 08:31:15 »
Feel like we are ready to go.  :thumb:

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 13:05:47 »

Show Image

Awesome, anything orange and I am in, looking fwd to this drop; btw thx for great effort in taking our feebacks and making adjustment promptly.

I appreciated all of the feedback for this to really fine tune it! Been a learning experience all around so far with this project.

The set is all ready to go from my perspective. Just talking with the vendor I'm planning on working with to see when this could slot in for them. Once the vendor and I are on the same page with details, I'll announce who it is.

Offline TheNamesTy45

Re: [IC] GMK Purple Dragon - New Renders - 3/15/2019
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 19:16:56 »
Today is the day to share the treat I've been excited about.

Huge thanks to Oblotzky for creating all of the renders I'm about to post

Black Andromeda

Moon U80

Haze M60

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 02:01:55 »
Those renders are looking nice. Any idea when this set is running?

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 20:51:04 »
Those renders are looking nice. Any idea when this set is running?

Was hoping to have a solid answer on the vendors plans by now. Going to reach back out and see if I can get any concrete details.