Author Topic: Trackballs are better?  (Read 25924 times)

Offline typo

Trackballs are better?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 10:36:42 »
oops, i just realised the g500 is set at 2400 dpi all this time! i am rather amazed i am using it that fast. from side to side of the 22" lcd i move it about 1 1/2 inch.

i guess a trackball is not going to give me that type of precision. however i am convinced they are a lot more comfortable. i think i will get one for coding and internet  and use the mouse for autocad and photoshop.

is the kensington expert ok? i can't seem to find anything better at best buy or tiger direct. i would prefer a trackball with a laser if i could get one at a big store.

Offline Milquetoast

Trackballs are better?
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 23 December 2010, 18:52:34 »
Quote from: Lanx;261612
can't we just mod a modern day gaming mouse (at least 1500 dpi) into a trackball? i smell research!

I'm actually looking into the possibility of replacing the sensor of a Kensington Expert Mouse with a much faster/higher-res sensor (like the one used by the MX518), but it may end up being beyond my limited time, budget, and motivation.

Quote from: ripster;266014
DPI is kinda weird with Trackballs.  Logitech and Kensington just don't like to talk about it.

But yeah, I'd say if you use 1500dpi on your mouse you're gonna need a pretty high speed trackball >1000dpi and unfortunately other than the CST Lasertrak my guestimate is the average Logitech/Kensington is in the 800  range.

The sensor used by the Expert Mouse is 800 dpi, and I'm pretty sure Logitech uses the same one (Avago ADNS-2051). The Slimblade is all lasery and stuff. I don't know what sensor it uses, but in comparison to the Expert Mouse, I'd guess it's about 1000 dpi.

Offline Lanx

Trackballs are better?
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 00:45:18 »
Quote from: Milquetoast;268103
I'm actually looking into the possibility of replacing the sensor of a Kensington Expert Mouse with a much faster/higher-res sensor (like the one used by the MX518), but it may end up being beyond my limited time, budget, and motivation.

The sensor used by the Expert Mouse is 800 dpi, and I'm pretty sure Logitech uses the same one (Avago ADNS-2051). The Slimblade is all lasery and stuff. I don't know what sensor it uses, but in comparison to the Expert Mouse, I'd guess it's about 1000 dpi.

i tried tracking a ball with my deathaddler 3g, doesn't work so well, i might have to go with a twin eye. Note this was a "mouse ball" i don't have the trackbgall in yet, and i don't play pool so i don't have a spare cue ball around.

Offline Milquetoast

Trackballs are better?
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 04:41:19 »
Quote from: Lanx;268174
i tried tracking a ball with my deathaddler 3g, doesn't work so well, i might have to go with a twin eye. Note this was a "mouse ball" i don't have the trackbgall in yet, and i don't play pool so i don't have a spare cue ball around.

You're probably going to have problems with it tracking anything smooth and unmarked, e.g. pool balls. Even the twin eye would have problems.

Laser sensors might work a bit better, but as evidenced by the CST, they're not all *that* great with smooth unmarked surfaces, either.

That's the problem with optical trackballs. Optical sensors work by tracking the change of the position of surface details, and by nature a trackball has to be smooth. That's why all the ball for optical trackballs have a pattern or sparkles or something on the ball that gives it visible features for the sensor to track when light is bounced off it.

Offline theferenc

Trackballs are better?
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 08:44:02 »
My CST has a glossy black ball. The Kensingtons do as well, when I looked at them. Maybe not as gloss as the CST, but still not patterned.

And actually, the CST tracks the glossy black better than it does the old fashioned 12 ball I sometimes use. I think it's the multipiece construction on the billiard ball that does it. The piece boundaries sometimes cause the cursor to jump.

But as for the ball it came with, it's spot on. All the time. And it's SUPER GLOSSY.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline theferenc

Trackballs are better?
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 10:43:46 »
As I said, it's a very old ball, with a multi-piece construction. Basically, where the 12 is, there are very faint edges. And from what I recall from my physics degree, edges tend to diffract light, which would result in occasional jumps.

It's really only this one ball that does it. I just think it looks the best of all the pool balls I have. I tend to swap back and forth between the default ball and this 12.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline EverythingIBM

Trackballs are better?
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 31 December 2010, 12:30:15 »
Quote from: ripster;271193
Have you considered giving your balls a Male Brazillian? (not that I've tried it).

You need some big blue balls:

Gumby is watching you ripster:
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT