Author Topic: One man's trash is another man's treasure  (Read 51933 times)

Offline Daniel Beaver

One man's trash is another man's treasure
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 31 August 2010, 16:02:54 »
Quote from: JBert;218623
Any of those thick Displaywriter or other buckling beam keyboards in there? They can be recognized by their bulky case.

I didn't see any when I was looking. The oldest I have found are the Model Fs.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 31 August 2010, 18:28:36 »
If you have a non-working keyboard with Cherry compatible keys, I could make use of them.  I melted mine....  The only keyboard I know of that uses Cherry compatible keys but doesn't use Cherry switches are the Gateway2000 keyboards, though I'm sure there are are others.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 01:12:25 »
I cleaned a blue label Type M today, which had the controller PCB underneath the indicator. I've never seen that before in a Type M, but most of these are probably built this way. I also cleaned this:

Weird HP branded keyboard (EDIT: It's a keyboard from a HP-9000 300-series Unix workstation)

The keys on this are awesome. The labels look like they are dye-sublimated, and multicolored. The layout is actually really neat looking. It was, however, the filthiest keyboard I had yet cleaned.

The switches are mechanical, with a linear feel to them. There is a very subtle tactile feel when you bottom them out.

Now it's all pretty looking. It has two ports on the back which look an awful lot like SDL ports, but which won't fit an SDL cable. Anybody have any ideas what this is?

« Last Edit: Wed, 01 September 2010, 11:06:33 by Daniel Beaver »

Offline apex

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 02:32:22 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;217866

I also found 27 regular Model Ms. 15 of those are late-era blue labels (generally from 1995-1997). Three are grey labels. One is a silver label. The rest are Lexmark and AT&T branded. A lot of them are missing keys.

Show Image

i would gladly take one of those Late-era blue label Model M keyboards off your hands!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 September 2010, 02:35:27 by apex »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 05:33:15 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;218747
Weird HP branded keyboard
Anybody have any ideas what this is?

Keyboard from a HP-9000 300-series Unix workstation. I have no idea of how to interface them with a modern PC.

I like the layout and it looks like NKRO.. but wouldn't the thrown on these switches be close to 2 mm ?
🍉

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 11:02:59 »
For all of you who want Blue label Model Ms, here is my proposal:

For $20 + shipping, I will send you a Blue label Model M or a Terminal Model M in its filthy, disgusting, uncleaned, but fully functional state. I will replace any missing keys, and will check to make sure all the keys and LEDs work properly. PM me for details. I'm only going to accept paypal payments.

For $30 + shipping, I will send you a Grey label Model M (i.e., 1391401), or a branded model M (AT&T or Lexmark). More people have PMed me about these, so I'm selling them at a slight premium. Again, they will be dirty, filthy, but full functional.

I am selling the silver label Model M for a bit more, as four different people have expressed interest in buying it.

The Model F keyboards are going on ebay.

Quote from: Findecanor;218766
Keyboard from a HP-9000 300-series Unix workstation. I have no idea of how to interface them with a modern PC.

I like the layout and it looks like NKRO.. but wouldn't the thrown on these switches be close to 2 mm ?

You know, you're right. Listening really closely, I can hear and feel the switch toggling about halfway through the travel (about 2mm). But again, it is very subtle. I wish I could re-use these keys on some other board, they really are lovely.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 16:41:49 »
I wouldn't pay $20 for a keyboard that dirty. $10 sounds more reasonable. You can just buy a nice clean one off ebay for $15 plus shipping.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rusty Rat

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 17:01:36 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;218947
I wouldn't pay $20 for a keyboard that dirty. $10 sounds more reasonable. You can just buy a nice clean one off ebay for $15 plus shipping.

Its a good price, if you get something off EBay you are probably going to clean it and with Beavers keyboards he is guaranteeing they are fully functional and all have keycaps.

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 19:59:57 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;218290
IBM Terminal Model F

I have no way to test this, but it seems to be in very good shape. This was under a roof, so it never go rained on. It feels divine to type on. All the keys are present.

Show Image

I'm very tempted to jump on this just for these keycaps. Those 'PF' keys are sexy. This is a true mainframe keyboard, the other 122-keys I've seen are AS400 stuff.

Oh, wait: Dan, is this one headed for eBay with the other Model Fs?
The Brat Prince of COBOL

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 20:01:49 »
That's a Model F there. Don't take it just for the keycaps! If you get it, you oughta convert it and use it. I've heard they're great keyboards.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 21:50:34 »
I've also been after a terminal F from this lot if there is a second after kishy's...  I'm assuming me means all will go to ebay, terminal or not.  If that's the case i will also withdraw my interest.  If they're being sold straight up here to gh members I'm all over it.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 22:19:02 »
Quote from: daniel beaver;218747
Show Image

I have the AT version of that HP Workstation board.
  • SDL cable
  • rubber dome
  • orange LEDs
  • key caps cooler than ****

I'd pay $20 for the workstation version.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 September 2010, 22:24:05 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 01 September 2010, 22:50:07 »
ricercar: Deal. PM me, and we'll work out details. I have two of these, BTW (I have only cleaned one of them)

Anyone who wants a Model F: I need to finish cleaning my second Terminal Model F. It has a crack in the case, unfortunately, but I will have pictures up soon. After I have that one up, I will formally take offers (tomorrow at the latest).

microsoft windows: I have some Dell Quietkeys, if you're interested in those :)

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 06:23:55 »
I'm not going to fight over it: If those guys are seriously drooling, then I'll take a pass...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 08:05:34 »
Man, where have I been?  For some reason I thought this thread would be about windows 3.1 or IE4 so I hadn't even opened it.  Great score!  Here's a free tip as I've hit many motherloads like this myself... don't bring this crap into your house.  I've found everything from live larvae and bugs to mouse crap to who knows what inside keyboards and until they are cleaned keep those suckers outside.  Seriously.  And don't wash that crap in your sink, it could be covered with rat poison, mouse urine, asbestos and agent orange for all you know.  When they're this filthy, handle them with care.  You might want to pressure wash them on a hot day and let the sun dry them out - they've already experienced the elements so you won't hurt them at this point.

__

Can you post the date for the Model M silver label 1390120?

If you have a PC AT Model F that is incomplete, I've been looking for an Alt key and the + key from the keypad.  The XT key's won't work.

I'm interested in any Blue, Pink, Yellow, or Brown ALPS switches.

Second from top in middle, is that ATT board buckling spring or ALPS?
Fifth one down in middle with round edges, what is that?  What switches?
Sixth one down in the middle, what is that?
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 08:08:31 »
Man, where have I been?  For some reason I thought this thread would be about windows 3.1 or IE4 so I hadn't even opened it.  Great score!  Here's a free tip as I've hit many motherloads like this myself... don't bring this crap into your house.  I've found everything from live larvae and bugs to mouse crap to who knows what inside keyboards and until they are cleaned keep those suckers outside.  Seriously.  And don't wash that crap in your sink, it could be covered with rat poison, mouse urine, herpes, asbestos and agent orange.  When they're this filthy, handle them with care and don't inhale that dust.  You might want to pressure wash them on a hot day and let the sun dry them out - they've already experienced the elements so you won't hurt them at this point.

__

Can you post the date for the Model M silver label 1390120?

If you have a PC AT Model F that is incomplete, I've been looking for an Alt key and the + key from the keypad.  The XT key's won't work.

I'm interested in any Blue, Pink, Yellow, or Brown ALPS switches.

Second from top in middle, is that ATT board buckling spring or ALPS?
Fifth one down in middle with round edges, what is that?  What switches?  I will probably take that one as-is.
Sixth one down in the middle, what is that?  EDIT - it's an HP, what switches?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2010, 08:15:30 by didjamatic »

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 15:28:42 »
More pictures. I layed them out more orderly. These are the ones I haven't cleaned yet.

Model Ms

Terminal Model Ms, and also a Model F (can you spot it?)

In this picture:

Topmost left, and second down from the left:
Labled "TO-300". These have black cherries and doubleshot keys, and a phone-line style connector. I suspect someone here would be interested in a full set of cherry-compatible doubleshot keys.

Bottom Left, second from the bottom: It has a trackball, that's all I know.

Bottom Left: some Apple keyboard.

Top Right: another one of those strange HP keyboards, with the *****in keys.

Right, second down: a brand-less keyboard with yellow-orange alps.

Right, Third down: just a Model M, but with a frayed cable. This will be a donor board.

Top right: an AT&T branded board with strange, pink keyswitches. I'll get a picture up soon. Uses a serial (?) cable. The key feel is quite good, actually, better than any other keyboard in the bunch (with the exception of the Model F keyboards).

Middle left: Two Dell Quietkeys, standard rubber dome keyboards. MS Windows pimped these, and I have to agree with his basic assessment of them.

Right, second down: White ALPS, doubleshot keys. The label has been washed away by the rain.

Right, third down: Another Dell 1301W. This one is in better shape than the one I posted previously in this thread.

Right, bottom: another white ALPS board, with doublshot keys.

Left, bottom: Why, whatever could this be? :whoo:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 15:33:03 »
Is that Oldsmobuick part of the lot?  If not, it should be.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 15:57:24 »
Quote from: itlnstln;219281
Is that Oldsmobuick part of the lot?  If not, it should be.

My friend's car. It runs a lot better than my Subaru. Sort of like a Model M in that regard.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 20:40:55 »
Daniel - I wasn't serious about the offer for the HP. Time was I could impulse buy keyboards, but that time ain't now.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 00:21:09 »
Awww, well, if you still want it, I'll send it to you for free (plus shipping, of course).

I cleaned up the Model F PC AT, performed HaaTa's big backspace mod, and JBert's spacebar spring mod. The layout is surprisingly tolerable. The numpad contains all the functionality of the home culster, and the alt and ctrl keys are in sensible locations. The lack of an F11 and F12 key may become an issue, but we'll see. Full key rollover - smashing down on every key gives a satisfying readout in Aquakeys.

The king of keyboards?

Sorry, not for sale :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 September 2010, 01:44:11 by Daniel Beaver »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 00:40:41 »
Just to clarify...the "big backspace mod" should not be contributed to me.  (however, I did implement a variation on it to replicate the HHKB layout).

Those keyboards are great.  After having owned one, a Model M is simply dissatisfying to type on.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 01:24:40 »
Quote from: iMav;219418
Just to clarify...the "big backspace mod" should not be contributed to me.  (however, I did implement a variation on it to replicate the HHKB layout).

Those keyboards are great.  After having owned one, a Model M is simply dissatisfying to type on.

Who originally did that mod?

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 01:51:40 »
I'm still hoping to find a model F AT at the flea market. eBay prices + shipping are just plain insane... plus I'd get killed by import duties for sure.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 01:57:28 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;219430
I'm still hoping to find a model F AT at the flea market. eBay prices + shipping are just plain insane... plus I'd get killed by import duties for sure.

That's the right way to approach it. Treasure hunting is a pleasure all in itself, and you can really pat yourself on the back when you find something awesome.

Anyone interested in those doubleshot keys that I mentioned in the pictures? I feel like my last big post got buried one page back.

Offline TheSoundofTyping

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 10:44:09 »
Quote from: iMav;219418
After having owned one, a Model M is simply dissatisfying to type on.

Pardon my noobness, but how do they differ?  I assumed that under the keys, they were the same as a Model M.  Different buckling springs?
"To my loyal butler, You There, for his decades of service, I leave a pittance, to be paid in twenty equal installments of one-twentieth of a pittance each."

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 11:56:38 »
My PC AT actuates at 14 nickles, so 70g (My Model M actuates at 75g). It feels lighter, but that must have more to do with the feel of the mechanism than anything else. The actuation point seems "sharper". And yes, it bottoms out easier than a Model M. And it's loud, much louder than a Model M.

I might just start stealing key posts and flappers out of my cracked Terminal Model F so I can add keys to my PC AT board. I have the luxury of access to spare parts.

Having tried the XT and AT version, I've got to say that they feel almost identical (the wiki claims that the XT feels nicer). In any case, the XT's layout is awful, and it would never be usable even if you could get it working on a modern PC. It is better built, though (the rear panel is metal, and the internals are different).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 12:16:46 »
Is the Model F at all like the DisplayWriter?  If so, the F is a loud *****.  The DW also has a sharp activation point and feels a little lighter than an M.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 12:35:27 »
It is a nice pic.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 17:54:09 »
Let me guess...it's a picture of a weird Japanese girl (Ripster's fetish).

Offline JBert

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 17:07:55 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;219580
Having tried the XT and AT version, I've got to say that they feel almost identical (the wiki claims that the XT feels nicer). In any case, the XT's layout is awful, and it would never be usable even if you could get it working on a modern PC. It is better built, though (the rear panel is metal, and the internals are different).
Actually, the layout is still what is used today in Europe so it is not unusable, it's just annoying.
Key feel is subjective, but I do think that the difference may come from a different mould for the barrels and a tighter squeeze on them from the front plate.

It could certainly be called of the king of keyboards, but only if you just looked in the "clicky, useable-out-of-the-box" category. The model F XT or buckling beam keyboards can still be a tad nicer, but they just don't work out of the box.

Quote from: itlnstln;219582
Is the Model F at all like the DisplayWriter?  If so, the F is a loud *****.  The DW also has a sharp activation point and feels a little lighter than an M.
Buckling springs were a cost saving measure from the display writer's technology. Buckling beams could be tuned better for lighter springs, yet it contains thrice as much parts.

If I recall webwit's explanation correctly, the sound of the keys was more like snapping metal, yet muffled by the large case and a rubber "blood-shield" like on the TG3s. Still noticeable though.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 19:38:34 »
That cracked Model F is totally trashed - I found it in a 5 gallon bucked, which was filled with rainwater. It was probably sitting in there for years.

About 40 or so of the hammers were rust-free, however. I used a few of them to add keys to my Model F PC AT. Does anyone else want some?

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 21:54:21 »
Oqsy mourns.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 08 September 2010, 23:26:48 »
Quote from: ripster;219584
I'll do a Model F XT sound recording someday.  Metal back.   Even pingier.

Doubleposting this pic but it's a NICE pic....

Pew, Pew, Pew!

Animated GIFs hog too much CPU...

And I don't like it.

Quote from: Daniel Beaver;221075
That cracked Model F is totally trashed - I found it in a 5 gallon bucked, which was filled with rainwater. It was probably sitting in there for years.

About 40 or so of the hammers were rust-free, however. I used a few of them to add keys to my Model F PC AT. Does anyone else want some?

An IBM keyboard is never trashed! Well as long as the circuitry is OK.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 02:09:00 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;221134
An IBM keyboard is never trashed! Well as long as the circuitry is OK.

The circuitry is very trashed, as in "contacts rusted together into giant rust balls bad".

Quote from: ripster;221139
Show Image

Are those supposed to look like gardening tools?
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 02:11:46 by Daniel Beaver »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 05:11:48 »
Quote from: JBert;219960
If I recall webwit's explanation correctly, the sound of the keys was more like snapping metal, yet muffled by the large case and a rubber "blood-shield" like on the TG3s. Still noticeable though.

See video here.

In a sense, it feels like what it sounds like.

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 06:27:34 »
That cracked Model F is totally trashed - I found it in a 5 gallon bucked, which was filled with rainwater. It was probably sitting in there for years. About 40 or so of the hammers were rust-free, however. I used a few of them to add keys to my Model F PC AT. Does anyone else want some?

I'm still interested in the keycaps...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 06:49:12 »
What type of Model F is it?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 07:07:59 »
I've been looking for an ALT and + key for an AT model F if you have them.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 07:36:56 »
I have a plus key if you want it. I broke one of the stabilizer holders off the front plate, so I put in a stabilizer insert from a Model M and put in a plus key from same Model M. I still have the F's one lying around if you want it.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 07:41:17 »

My model F is missing a key, the top right key in the group on the left side, think it should say "clear" on it.  Have one of those spare?

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 11:22:45 »
People who want stuff: PM me with exactly what you want, and I will provide. The trashed model F is a terminal variety. I have the (nearly) full keycap set from that. I also have voluminous model M terminals, which share a lot of keys with the Model F terminal.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 17:23:23 »
Daniel: Interested in a complete M terminal fwiw.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 17:24:47 »
Quote from: didjamatic;221188
I've been looking for an ALT and + key for an AT model F if you have them.

You could probably find the Alt key off an XT F.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 18:47:16 »
Okay, I have a question:

Are Model F key stems supposed to be compatible with Model M key stems? I'm able to mix and match them no problem, but I was given the impression over some PM conversations that they are supposed to be different.

I'm also going to be heading out for a few days, so I'll be incommunicado until Monday or so.

Ripster: your stuff is in the mail. Weee!

Oqsy: PM me, we'll work out details. I need to find a box big enough for that damn things....

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 18:49:31 »
I think they are shaped slightly differently, but they are basically the same thing, and I have used them interchangeably.

I have noted however, that double-part Model M keycaps don't work well on the AT Model F. I think it's because the two parts are a little bit wider, and they rub off the neighboring cap.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 18:56:51 »
Quote from: ch_123;221421
I have noted however, that double-part Model M keycaps don't work well on the AT Model F. I think it's because the two parts are a little bit wider, and they rub off the neighboring cap.

I'm using two-part Model M keys on a Model F AT right now, and it doesn't seem to be rubbing at all. Huh.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 19:00:41 »
Odd. Just feels very odd on mine.

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 19:11:34 »
Not only am I extremely jealous, I also live in Europe. FML.

Offline armenws

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 19:39:36 »
holy crap the ones you tested actually work? They look water damaged but I guess they're not.

Legendary haul dude.