Author Topic: Majestouch WIRELESS imminent  (Read 5893 times)

Offline shadyguido

Majestouch WIRELESS imminent
« on: Tue, 27 May 2008, 22:06:01 »
I've just ordered the Brown axis wireless from Diatech: http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=495

This bluetooth version should be arriving in a couple of weeks.  While I hope to post a mini-review, does the geekhack hivemind have any questions you'd like me to specifically address?

This forum has been so helpful in my search, I feel this is the least I can do :)

BTW, my 'search for the perfect keyboard' is chronicled here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=24609792&m=734001291931&r=734001291931#734001291931
If you\'re ambiguated, check out the Marco Santori homepage disambiguator.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 May 2008, 22:14:50 »
Thanks for sharing the link to your arstechnica discussion.  I look forward to hearing your impressions of the new 'board.  If only they had a numpad-less one.  ;)

BTW, welcome to geekhack!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 May 2008, 01:16:48 »
What OS / kind of set up are you going use the 'board with?

And I'll be interested in how it fairs at the n-key rollover test.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 May 2008, 15:51:52 »
I'd be interested to know if this keyboard would be detected by the BIOS, allowing you to change settings and so on.  I've never had a wireless keyboard so haven't been able to find out.

EDIT: I noticed after reading that other thread that you were looking for an aluminium switched keyboard.  The closest thing i've ever seen is this:
http://www3.soldam.co.jp/pc_parts/input/alfeel/

Sadly it looks like a Japanese-only layout.

Offline shadyguido

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 01:07:38 »
Shipped today!!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 01:25:20 »
Sorry to do this to ya buddy, but look what's new from Filco:

Here's the link to the store, these are down a ways, and I think you wanted something like this. http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/list.php%3Fcate_c%3D1

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 07:25:54 »
Diatec's English site:
http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 07:53:58 »
I've seen an aluminium keyboard of theirs for a while now on other websites, only it had black keys.  They must have finally decided to offer it for us gaijin.  Looks like it would take up an awful lot of room.

Offline iMav

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 08:06:14 »
Quote from: xsphat;4960
Show Image

The massive palm rest is hideous and ridiculous.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 11:57:07 »
Quote from: iMav;4970
The massive palm rest is hideous and ridiculous.

I agree, but I think this guy was looking for that.I don't like the keyboard much, but the white keys look nice.

Offline shadyguido

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 22:47:33 »
Yes, I've seen them.  Here's the 411: they're just regular majestouch keyboards with an aluminum shell fitted over them.  In fact, they sell the shell a la carte to fit over any of their standard majestouch keyboards.

If I end up liking the action of the majestouch I've purchased, I'll get that silver shell because, well.  I think it's pretty frickin cool.  Yes, xsphat, that's exactly what this guy was looking for.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 May 2008, 22:53:34 »
Cool, and that would be nice wireless and all ...

Offline shadyguido

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 June 2008, 18:51:21 »
I've used the keyboard for a few days, and I've found that it's everything I want it to be.  I purchased it directly from the manufacturer for around $250 including shipping to the states.  They require an international wire transfer in advance, which, though SOP for this kind of deal, was not the least risky thing I'd done this week.  The wire transfer fee combined with the weak dollar makes this keyboard cost a pretty penny.  But it's worth it.

1) Bluetooth wireless works well with great range and no perceptible lag.  Installation was a breeze, with simple instructions on the back of the keyboard for pairing it with my Vista box.  Simply press and hold the pairing button to wed it with the OS.

2) Keys have an excellent grippy feel to them and are nicely scooped for fast typing. They are laser etched in a white italic font that jumps out as clearly different.  The keyboard overall is slim, with no extra bezel around the keys. The layout is standard, thank god, with numpad and ins/del row intact as it was meant to be.

3) Oozes quality.  It's clearly got a thick metal plate in it, just like my old model M, so it has a nice heft to it.  It's incredibly sturdy; no warping at all.  Furthermore, it doesn't slide around, with generous rubber grips at all four corners.

4) The brown cherry mechanical switches are just as they were described in the geekhack review of the wired version.  No clicking sound, but excellent tactile feedback.  NOT mushy like every membrane keyboard around.  To be sure, it's no buckling spring.  You can tell when the key's been pressed, but they keyboard doesn't shout it out to your fingers like a keyboard from 1986 does.  I find it to be a nice (quiet!) compromise.

5) There were some complaints in prior reviews of the wired model about the construction of the larger keys.  Apparently they used some metal paper clip looking device to keep them sturdy.  I'm happy to report that this has been fixed in the wireless model.   A bit of surgery has proven that the larger keys are supported by dummy keyswitches that provide a sturdy foundation for the key.  Great job, Diatec.

I can't say enough good things about this keyboard... except that I have to sell it.  I'm moving to NYC (yay!) and need all the rent money I can get.  Shoot me an email if you're interested. shadyguido at gmail dot com.

Offline iMav

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 June 2008, 20:54:57 »
Quote from: shadyguido@gmail.com;5216
I can't say enough good things about this keyboard... except that I have to sell it.  I'm moving to NYC (yay!) and need all the rent money I can get.  Shoot me an email if you're interested. shadyguido at gmail dot com.

Are you sure you are not channeling xsphat??  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 June 2008, 23:22:59 »
Quote from: iMav;5218
Are you sure you are not channeling xsphat??  ;)

You don't channel me -- you SUMMON me! Mewh heh heh ha!

In any case, I took off the backspace key on mine and I vow to never do that again. It was a wicked pain in the ass to get back on. And by the way, I'm using the Filco to type this post (mainly to make sure the backspace still works, which it does).

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 06:36:44 »
With regards to my question earlier in this thread, is it possible for the keyboard to be recognised within the BIOS?

Offline shadyguido

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 10:00:04 »
Sorry, I went and solicited questions, then didn't answer any of them!

I have an apple cinema display, which refuses to display any text mode.  As such, I can't see the text mode bios screen, and wouldn't be able to tell if the keyboard is recognized at that stage.

I will certainly get around to finding out, even if it means dragging my old samsung out of the closet.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 10:24:28 »
That's pretty strange of the ACD to do that, but perhaps their original intent was for the display to hide any of the inner-working of the computer to make for a more seamless experience.  My NEC 2690WUXi takes a little longer than normal to come out of standby, but you can always hit the Pause key to halt the boot sequence if you like.

Offline shadyguido

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 13:52:23 »
It makes sense considered in light of the Mac's lack of text-mode ;)

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 14:02:34 »
I see.  I don't really use macs, i'm not fond of their quirks.  God knows i've tried to like them lol.

Offline shadyguido

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 June 2008, 19:13:22 »
And one other thing.  The keyboard sings. Odd, yes.  But as you get to typing quickly, the steel in it starts to reverberate like you've dragged your wet finger around the rim of a wine glass.  You'd think it would be annoying...  But for some reason, it isn't.

It's actually quite nice to try to get my typing speed  up to get a song out of it.