Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1623285 times)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #800 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:22:42 »
I might just stick with ordering from here...if the only issue is time..then it's no big deal to me

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #801 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:24:32 »
I might just stick with ordering from here...if the only issue is time..then it's no big deal to me
Not only. The other issue is money.

BTW you can still order from 7bit and use the assembly service at the same time. I'm arranging with 7bit, and we'll have your 7bit orders shipped to us.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #802 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:28:50 »
Not only. The other issue is money.

BTW you can still order from 7bit and use the assembly service at the same time. I'm arranging with 7bit, and we'll have your 7bit orders shipped to us.

ohhhh ok cool
i guess we should mention in the order form that it is for the GH60 groupbuy? i am getting the assembly service, so i'd want them to be shipped to you guys.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #803 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 17:48:23 »
Could I bother one of you for my order contents?  I placed one a while back and added to it, but I didn't write it down. *doh* With the switch situation, I might want to revise things.

Thanks!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #804 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 18:18:20 »
Could I bother one of you for my order contents?  I placed one a while back and added to it, but I didn't write it down. *doh* With the switch situation, I might want to revise things.

Thanks!

Sent you a PM. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #805 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 18:24:25 »
So forgive me for starting ****, but 7bit doesn't support GH like at all(this is important for a keyboard that's "for the community, by the community) and is actively trying to build his own 60% board that he's claimed is better than the GH60, but we're still supporting him with buying switches through him?

I wish mouser did whites.

To answer the question above, mouser sells blacks/blues/clears in pcb and plate mount.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #806 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 18:40:29 »
Damn I need reds.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #807 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 18:47:26 »
So forgive me for starting ****, but 7bit doesn't support GH like at all(this is important for a keyboard that's "for the community, by the community) and is actively trying to build his own 60% board that he's claimed is better than the GH60, but we're still supporting him with buying switches through him?

To answer the question above, mouser sells blacks/blues/clears in pcb and plate mount.

he is trolling you, do you think he actually cares about the gh60 that much? he's not a bad dude he just has a weird sense of humor, dont take it so personally
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #808 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:32:29 »
Wish we had someone within GH who sold all switches...maybe one day

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #809 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:34:56 »
I would not expect to see a whole lot come out of the Hyper project for at least a year or more.  In the meantime, GH60 will come and go.  There is also GH60++/70, which will probably start moving once Retro DSA is done.
Russ

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #810 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:35:35 »
i would probably get a numpad :D

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #811 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:36:53 »
I would not expect to see a whole lot come out of the Hyper project for at least a year or more.  In the meantime, GH60 will come and go.  There is also GH60++/70, which will probably start moving once Retro DSA is done.

What's GH60++? D:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #812 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:37:30 »

RS, Conrad (Conrad UK), and Rapid sell them, the problem is getting them shipped at a decent price.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:41:42 by nubbinator »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #813 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:40:58 »
Pexon just had some MX Dark Greys. I wonder if his source can supply switches for this GB? Pexon, are you listening?

I'll ping him later unless someone else wants to first. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #814 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:44:07 »
What's GH60++? D:

It's a GH60 you program with C++

jk :P

in memoriam

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #815 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:45:37 »

You had me for a second! That would horrible :(

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #816 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:46:34 »

It's basically the Gh60 but a 75% format. I still don't know why they just don't call it the Gh75...... ???
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #817 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:48:15 »
It's basically the Gh60 but a 75% format. I still don't know why they just don't call it the Gh75...... ???

Thanks! Not interested in one if those :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #818 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:51:35 »
Pexon just had some MX Dark Greys. I wonder if his source can supply switches for this GB? Pexon, are you listening?

I'll ping him later unless someone else wants to first. :)

I tried asking, both in the IC and GB thread.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #819 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 20:02:02 »

Well if you look at the OP, there were several variations on the theme with the possibility of break away parts of the PCB.  If you break all of them off you end up at 60%.  If you leave them on it's 75%.

Anyway...it is very early on still for that one.
Russ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #820 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 20:06:31 »
I drank the KoolAid and ordered my goodies finally! :D

Eager/impatient face engaged

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #821 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 21:19:15 »

"They" DO call the 75% version the GH75!

The GH60++ covers the GH65 (GH60 + arrows and an extra column), the GH75 (GH65 + function keys and a few more), and technically, the unloved GH70 variation that adds a function key row to the GH60.

GH60++ thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38847.msg754842#msg754842

Current state of assembly:

Latest prototype GH75 by samwisekoi. 
Keycaps by Lysol, mkawa & i3oilermaker.  Custom free-standing plate/case by The_Beast & Advanced Welding, Inc.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #822 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 22:23:30 »

he is trolling you, do you think he actually cares about the gh60 that much? he's not a bad dude he just has a weird sense of humor, dont take it so personally

Eh, fair enough.  I have issues with deciphering foreign country humor anyways.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #823 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 01:31:50 »
Anyway I can get an order confirmation?  Gonna have to remove the switches I assume.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #824 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 01:39:26 »
Anyway I can get an order confirmation?  Gonna have to remove the switches I assume.

Sent you a PM with your order.

in memoriam

Offline hankz

« Reply #825 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 02:09:05 »
what kind you will chose to ship GH60 to everyone, EMS, UPS?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #826 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:54:54 »
Samwise that looks fantastic!  Can't wait for raindrop...

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #827 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:58:47 »
Hope one day you release the GH104 :D Even if its just for me :)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Chase5delta

• Keyboardoholic
« Reply #828 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 10:02:35 »
Any of you guys happen to have a plastic poker case lying around that you would be willing to sell? I'm having no luck in classifieds :(
Filco MJ2 TKL (Mx Blues) Keycool 84 (Mx Reds)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #829 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 10:16:45 »
I have a white spray painted one if you're interested
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mkaito

« Reply #830 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:02:55 »
Just caught wind of the thing with the switches and 7bit.

Let me make sure I got this straight. I can either go to DT and preorder from 7bit, indicating that I want my stuff shipped to the GH60 group buy staff, for around 40€ ($52) for 65 switches. In this case I'm basically paying 7bit instead of you guys for the switches, and nothing else changes.

OR

Do nothing, sit on my buttocks, and you guys order the keys from 7bit after payment is collected next month, which could incur in severe shipping delays of the assembled board, perhaps several months.

Correct?

I'm not 100% sure I can find enough money before the order deadline to pay for switches. Getting into this GB required extensive budget fiddling with the goal of having enough money around the 10th of next month. Unfortunately, it ended up meaning I have little to no spare cash at all before that. I won't bore you with my financial details.

Worst case, I'll have to wait however long it takes for you guys to order and receive the switches after next month's payment is down. Best case, we (the GH60 staff and me) could somehow reach an agreement involving me ordering the switches from 7bit between now and at some point next month, depending on my cash flow, and have them delivered to you.

What would you prefer I do? I'd also like to take as much work off your hands as I can. Organizing this must be administrative hell.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #831 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:05:48 »
Hold off on the switches for a bit, everyone. We may have a new supplier in the works.

in memoriam

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #832 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:07:39 »
From the UK ? :D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #833 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:08:28 »
Was going to place my order today...deciding between whites and greens...guess ill just wait more i guess

let us know when we have a definite supplier of switches! 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #834 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:09:40 »

in memoriam

Offline disperse

« Reply #835 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:37:02 »
OK, my mouse pointer is hovering over the "Submit" button on the order form.  Just want to make sure I'm making the right decisions here.

I have the DSA Retro key caps ordered and am thinking about configuring a Poker layout like this:

With the GH60 software will it be possible to configure the "HYPER" key to act as an Escape key when pressed and a Fn key when held?  (I was inspired by http://brettterpstra.com/2012/12/08/a-useful-caps-lock-key/)

I have heard good things about the plate mounted costar stabilizers but am concerned about this:  "You might need to do a little bit of sanding or grinding, as the plate is 0.0625" thick, and Costar spec is for 0.060"  I have a random orbital sander but will stainless steel really sand with some 80 grit sandpaper?

Am I going to save myself a lot of hassle by getting the Cherry Plate mounted stabilizers?

I'm looking at:

1 x GH60 PCB
1 x Poker Plate
63 x Plate-mounted Brown Cherry X Switches (a few spares)
6.25 spacebar wire
1 x Costar plate-mount stabilizers set OR 1 x Cherry plate-mount stabilizers set

Does this seem reasonable?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #836 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:40:50 »
OK, my mouse pointer is hovering over the "Submit" button on the order form.  Just want to make sure I'm making the right decisions here.

I have the DSA Retro key caps ordered and am thinking about configuring a Poker layout like this:

Show Image

With the GH60 software will it be possible to configure the "HYPER" key to act as an Escape key when pressed and a Fn key when held?  (I was inspired by http://brettterpstra.com/2012/12/08/a-useful-caps-lock-key/)

I have heard good things about the plate mounted costar stabilizers but am concerned about this:  "You might need to do a little bit of sanding or grinding, as the plate is 0.0625" thick, and Costar spec is for 0.060"  I have a random orbital sander but will stainless steel really sand with some 80 grit sandpaper?

Am I going to save myself a lot of hassle by getting the Cherry Plate mounted stabilizers?

I'm looking at:

1 x GH60 PCB
1 x Poker Plate
6.25 spacebar wire
1 x Costar plate-mount stabilizers set OR 1 x Cherry plate-mount stabilizers set

Yes, that order looks good. You can order it assembled or you can install and solder the switches yourself.

I have made the Costar stabilizers work on these plates before without sanding or grinding, you just have to push the legs into place with something. With a bit of filing with a flat needle file, I hear they work great.

in memoriam

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #837 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:47:05 »

"They" DO call the 75% version the GH75!

The GH60++ covers the GH65 (GH60 + arrows and an extra column), the GH75 (GH65 + function keys and a few more), and technically, the unloved GH70 variation that adds a function key row to the GH60.

GH60++ thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38847.msg754842#msg754842

Current state of assembly:
Show Image

Latest prototype GH75 by samwisekoi. 
Keycaps by Lysol, mkawa & i3oilermaker.  Custom free-standing plate/case by The_Beast & Advanced Welding, Inc.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Damn, just bought a MX-Mini :P

But to be fair it was for a very reasonable price so I can't complain :)

Offline disperse

« Reply #838 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:52:00 »

Show Image

I'm looking at:

1 x GH60 PCB
1 x Poker Plate
6.25 spacebar wire

Yes, that order looks good. You can order it assembled or you can install and solder the switches yourself.

I have made the Costar stabilizers work on these plates before without sanding or grinding, you just have to push the legs into place with something. With a bit of filing with a flat needle file, I hear they work great.

Thanks!  I placed the order.  I'm pretty handy at soldering and want to get the practice in case I need to replace a broken switch so I ordered it unassembled (not a DIY kit, I'm not a masochist).

I'll probably be pulling out my router and making a wooden case when everything arrives.  If anyone has detailed measurements, it would be appreciated.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #839 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:58:40 »
Wooden case/tray sounds awesome. I think Beast was working on something like that too?

Offline mbreslin

« Reply #840 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:50:34 »
Hold off on the switches for a bit, everyone. We may have a new supplier in the works.

Now you tell me! He has the GH60 tag in the OP so it seemed everything was arranged. Already ordered and paid.

:confused:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #841 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 13:01:42 »

Are you saying that our orders through theProf aren't going to come in?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #842 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 13:02:48 »
komar worked with 7bit to get that GH60 tag setup. Thanks, komar!

If you already ordered switches through 7bit, or want to continue ordering through his system on Deskthority, please feel free to do so. 7bit is a reliable source for these switches, and is offering them at great prices for pre-orders.

If you already have, or want to continue to order switches through this GB, it looks like we may have found another supplier who can help us. We are still in the process of working out all the details, so stay tuned for more information.

in memoriam

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #843 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 14:37:14 »
Would you recommend we hold off on buying switches for a little bit?

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #844 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 14:38:41 »
Why do we need a new supplier instead of 7bit?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #845 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 14:43:05 »
Because this.

Important update - please read
Update on the switches (very important!)
We were going to order the switches from 7bit @ deskthority for you. But the prices of switches are going up and he has to pay 100% for preorders. Buying preordered switches is cheaper, but we are not collecting payments yet and payment for the switches is due soon.
I'm worried that if we collect your money for the switches and pay together it might be too late and the groupbuy will be delayed.

That's why my proposition is that if you want to make sure you get your switches along with the GH60, remove your switch order from the order form (by submitting the "order changes" form) and go to http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/cherry-mx-taking-pre-orders-t2760.html and place your order according to the info there.
You can either have the switches shipped to you (independently from GH60) or we can arrange something with 7bit so that you get them together with GH60 and save shipping (that's the only option for those who checked "assembly" in the order form, of course).
I will post details about it soon.

If you can't pay for switches now or don't want to bother ordering directly from 7bit, you can leave your order as it it. We will then order the switches for you when the money is fully collected, but the prices might be a tad higher and the switches may come later.

in memoriam

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #846 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 15:47:55 »
Made this to help give your first post some bling!

18219-0

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #847 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:46:21 »
no bevel :(
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #848 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 17:01:30 »
What do you think the per unit price for Whites will be?  I'm still on the fence between spending too much and buying some Whites and tossing the springs from my Clears into some Reds I have (since there's no name for that yet that I've seen, I am naming them Ghost Reds).  If it's not too expensive, I'll probably get some.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #849 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:46:57 »
Just to confirm: the GH60 (max keys) layout can be achieved with the universal plate, correct?

Is there any advantage to the GH60 plate?  I feel like if a plate can use every key position (the universal plate) it should be basically the same as the plate that uses maximum keys (the GH60 plate).