Author Topic: Trying to create my own AT to PS/2 adapter but having a major problem...  (Read 965 times)

Offline JoeUser

• If you're a geek you use mechanical. Period.
The colors of the internal wires don't match up.  :mad:

The PS/2 is of course Red, Greed, Yellow, and White but the AT connector is Red, Brown, Orange, and Black.

I basically want to create a extended AT to PS/2 adapter so I took the 6-inch or so adapter that I already had and cut it in half with the intent on splicing it with a salvaged PS/2 cable from an old keyboard. Well it would seem the adapter doesn't adhere to standard colors.

I've looked up pinouts but those don't really tell me jack squat as all they are are what the actual pins are...not which pin corresponds to what colored wire (I mean really, what's the point?).

So yeah any help is appreciated...the sooner the better!
Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Trying to create my own AT to PS/2 adapter but having a major problem...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:02:10 »
Here you go. Hopefully you have a continuity tester, so that you can touch wires to see what it connected to what.

You can easily make a ghetto tester if you have a flashlight with a removable bulb, a battery, and a piece of wire, but it is easier if you have 3 or more hands.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:07:29 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline JoeUser

• If you're a geek you use mechanical. Period.
Re: Trying to create my own AT to PS/2 adapter but having a major problem...
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 22:47:47 »
Alright...I just ended up completely destroying the original PS/2 end of the adapter to see exactly what wires went to what pins...got it working! Feel like I really accomplished something! :D
Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0