Author Topic: [IC] Arc - An Ergonomic 65% with Macros (GB LIVE)  (Read 12622 times)

Offline yz

[IC] Arc - An Ergonomic 65% with Macros (GB LIVE)
« on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 21:16:21 »

Arc

Ergo 65XT

Arc is an ergonomic 65% keyboard with a 2-row macro column, split at a 12-degree angle. It features the familiar gummy O-ring mount and a front-facing walnut/maple accent.

Contents
    • Specifications
    • Progress
    • Sales & Pricing
    • Renders & Photos
    • FAQ
    • Socials & Build Vlog

1. Specifications

Case Angle: 7.25°

Front Height (min-max): 19mm-22.3mm

Net Weight: 2kg (built with alu plate, Gateron X & GMKs)

Case Materials: 6063 Aluminium, Brass (internal-weight), Walnut/Maple (front accents)

Hardware Materials: SUS304 Stainless Steel (case screws & daughterboard screws)

Plate Materials: 6061 Aluminium & Carbon Fibre (1.5mm thickness)

PCB:
    • 1.6mm FR4 (no flex cuts) designed by Mechlovin’
    • QMK & VIAL Configurable
    • Daughterboard with ESD protection

Layout Options:

Keyboard mount:

Gummy O-ring with mounting posts

2. Progress

• Keyboard – 2nd prototype tested and built, internal/external dimensions confirmed
    • Carrying Case – prototype ordered
    • PCB – 2nd prototype tested and built, JST cable length and PCB/daughterboard dimensions confirmed

3. Sales & Pricing

Projected base kit price: SGD 630 (USD 468)

Kit includes:
    • 1x Keyboard Case (hardware pre-assembled)
    • 1x Solder-only PCB, daughterboard & JST cable
    • 6x Custom Silicone Feet
    • 1x Carrying Case

50 units min., 100 units max.
    FCFS on shostudios.co
    GB target date: Late June/Early July 2023
    Targeted Completion: Early-Late Q4 2023

Shipping Estimates:
    More
    Singapore (Qxpress) – SGD 4.1
    Malaysia (DHL Express) – SGD 30
    South Korea (Qxpress) – SGD 22
    CONUS/Canada (DHL Express) – SGD 80
    EU/UK (DHL Express/Fedex) – SGD 80++
    Rest of SEA (DHL Express) – SGD 33++
    Rest of Asia (DHL Express) – SGD 43++
    MENA (DHL Express/Aramex) – SGD 135++

4. Renders & Photos

Black & Walnut

More

Silver & Maple

More

Prototype Photos

More

Bottom Engraving

Exploded View

5. FAQ

• Who are you and what is shostudios?
      I am the former designer and co-founder of Hex Keyboards. Having left the brand early this year, I have set up shostudios as a personal outlet to work on bringing my passion projects to life.
    • Will _____ color/wood/plate be available?
      Unfortunately not. I will be working on fulfilment alone for these projects so I’d like to keep things simple by reducing the number of SKUs I'm offering. I will be releasing the plate and wood accent files towards the end of fulfilment. I may also add a raw case option if there is enough demand for it. Let me know in the form linked below.
    • Why the 100 units cap?
      I will be working with limited space and manpower (my pair of hands) when it comes time for fulfilment. So even though I have 3 years of experience in keyboard fulfilment with my previous venture, I’d rather not stretch myself too thin.
    • Will you be engaging with any international vendors?
      Not for this project.

6. Socials & Build Vlog

To keep up with the latest information for this board, join my discord server, or follow me on instagram!
    Raw Aluminium IC form

build vlog done by the very talented lensoflucas

sound test recorded by myself

If you made it this far, thank you for checking this project out![/list]
    « Last Edit: Tue, 11 July 2023, 01:54:17 by yz »

Offline DirtyGingy

Re: [IC] Arc - An Ergonomic 65% with Macros
    « Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 21:21:29 »
    Fun design. But there is already arc60.

Offline yz

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 21:41:53 »

hopefully the 60 is a meaningful enough discriminator between the 2 boards, been working on this project on the side for almost 2 years now :)

Offline bananathock

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 21:59:42 »
    First!

Offline irithyll

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 22:06:22 »
    Looks amazing! GLWIC

Offline bow3i

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 22:07:22 »

??? Not even that similar bruh. I want whatever you're on.

But regardless, love the design, the wood gives me wood. GLWIC!

Offline FatefulStranger

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 22:44:51 »
    Been looking forward to this for a hot while now! Love it!

Also would be helpful to have some pics of the internals if possible. GLWIC :D

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 22:45:13 »

I'm talking about the name. It's generally a best practice to avoid similar names for confusion reasons

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 23:35:14 »

hopefully the 60 is a meaningful enough discriminator between the 2 boards, been working on this project on the side for almost 2 years now :)
    I usually go for the army-proof mentally myself, but I think it's enough. In any case, the design will carry it

Offline Beaniekeys

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 03:43:51 »
    Looks so good! The wood accent is just too clean! GLWIC!

Offline yz

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 05:21:12 »
    Looks amazing! GLWIC

Looks so good! The wood accent is just too clean! GLWIC!

Been looking forward to this for a hot while now! Love it!

Also would be helpful to have some pics of the internals if possible. GLWIC :D

thanks for the support everyone, will drop some internal renders/pics in an update soon :)

Offline yz

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 05:23:45 »

I usually go for the army-proof mentally myself, but I think it's enough. In any case, the design will carry it

totally understand where you're coming from, thank you for the kind words!

Offline giuliano.cz

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 06:17:14 »
    Looks a bit too much like the Boomerang. (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119105.0)

Offline VXQN

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 06:27:44 »
    Looks nice! How does the o-ring work on the top edge, what with the bend in the board? Is there a clip/stop or does the assembly require some specific steps?

Offline yz

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 06:42:00 »
    Looks a bit too much like the Boomerang. (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119105.0)

shared some context with laminar for this project and he understood that the timing was a coincidence. I have released renders for this particular design on a public discord server sometime in August last year.
    I've also released renders of a tented version of this layout in 2021 on said server. hopefully this will lay any questions of plagiarism to rest for the public  :thumb:

Looks nice! How does the o-ring work on the top edge, what with the bend in the board? Is there a clip/stop or does the assembly require some specific steps?

the build vlog linked at the bottom of the post illustrates the assembly process, the plate is split and I used 2 o-rings instead of one to wrap around the perimeter of each sides

Offline Elendil-7

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 15:15:44 »
    So excited for this one! That silver + maple is something else  :eek:

No chance of bringing the price down? Will this be the first GB for shostudios?
    « Last Edit: Mon, 12 June 2023, 15:18:11 by Elendil-7 »

Offline yz

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 19:19:06 »
    So excited for this one! That silver + maple is something else  :eek:

No chance of bringing the price down? Will this be the first GB for shostudios?

thanks for your interest!

this will be the first GB for the brand but as mentioned in the FAQ, I've been designing for and overseeing keyboard group buys with Hex Keyboards since its inception and until my departure earlier this year.

with regards to the price, here's some context on why it may be more expensive than the regular offerings in the market:
    the block of aluminium that's required for this board has almost the same total linear dimensions as a full-sized board because of its unique shape.
    the unique shape also means that there a lot more material to be removed during machining compared to a board with regular dimensions.
    the increase in cycle time and material cost, coupled with low MOQ, is why I can't price this any more competitively than it already is.

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
    « Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 04:49:11 »
    Happy to see this finally in IC!
    Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline warhopper

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 13:34:21 »
    Very excited for this, you nailed so much of what I wanted out of an Ergo board! I don't know if it could have been any more perfect even if I had commissioned it. Would never have though of the wood accents either.

For the files that will be released later, you mention the one for the accents, so conceivably we could get a brass accent made if we wanted too?

Other than that, how will you be invoicing for this? Have you setup a webpage you will direct people through or is it just a form fill and an invoice gets sent through Paypal?

Offline SpookyGC

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 14:11:50 »
    I'm not a ergo enjoyer, and this is still such a clean kit.

I agree with the arc60 already so popular, moving away from the arc branding would likely get more traction and avoid the need for clarifications.

Gorgeous build though.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 14:39:32 »
    I think a more descriptive named would have been "kink", but people would just misunderstand it...  :confused:

How well does the right space bar work for people who have tested it? I notice that I myself press the space bar on a regular keyboard below N and M and maybe slightly to the right, which would be the rightmost 1u of this space bar.

Offline yz

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 19:38:41 »
    I'm not a ergo enjoyer, and this is still such a clean kit.

I agree with the arc60 already so popular, moving away from the arc branding would likely get more traction and avoid the need for clarifications.

Gorgeous build though.

you've got a point. I would've likely changed the name if I wasn't already as invested in this project when the arc60 was released. thank you for your kind appraisal :)

Happy to see this finally in IC!

thank you my brother :)

Very excited for this, you nailed so much of what I wanted out of an Ergo board! I don't know if it could have been any more perfect even if I had commissioned it. Would never have though of the wood accents either.

For the files that will be released later, you mention the one for the accents, so conceivably we could get a brass accent made if we wanted too?

Other than that, how will you be invoicing for this? Have you setup a webpage you will direct people through or is it just a form fill and an invoice gets sent through Paypal?

thank you so much! yes you'd be able to order an accent piece of any material of your choosing as long as it's able to be machined in the given dimensions. as for the sale, I will be running it on a Shopify storefront that I'm setting up as we speak.

Offline the flying penguin

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 02:23:13 »
    arc so lit fr fr

Offline yz

Re: [IC] Arc - An Ergonomic 65% with Macros (Updated)
    « Reply #23 on: Thu, 22 June 2023, 02:53:27 »
    updated post with exploded view and front height measurements, cheers for the eggplant simon :thumb:

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
    « Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 June 2023, 05:07:16 »
    Watching with interest.
    Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
    More
    Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
    Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
    Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
      Keyboards -
    More
    IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline yz

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 July 2023, 07:05:24 »
    Watching with interest.

appreciate it!

Offline yz

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 07 July 2023, 07:12:52 »
    GB will be ran on the 10th of July, 1030am GMT+8 on shostudios.co
    shipping will be invoiced closer to fulfilment, shipping estimates are as stated in the original post

more details will come on the GB post, just gotta get my post numbers up before I can do that  :))

Offline yz

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
    • Mechboards UK
      • Mechboards
    Re: [IC] Arc - An Ergonomic 65% with Macros (GB LIVE)
    « Reply #28 on: Mon, 10 July 2023, 03:43:35 »
    This looks great! GLWGB

Offline marcin_nyga

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 07:27:30 »
    intresting

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 07:56:22 »
    it's beautiful but way too expensive with the added DHL bribe tax costs

Offline doctorboy

• ClackX
    « Reply #31 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 11:39:55 »
    Thanks for moving this project into GB, it is an interesting design and I personally love the wood front accent. GLWGB!