Author Topic: Tactile Zine  (Read 740998 times)

Offline neverused

Re: Tactile Zine
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 21:41:16 »

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #601 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 22:28:25 »
Show Image

Things are happening!
Woooo Hoooooo!
 :llama:
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #602 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 21:07:13 »
Tactile Zine Presents: Behind the Scenes No. II

Influences.

More music
More
Have Heart’s Watch Me Rise

Iron Maiden – Aces High

Cam’ron – Down and Out

Darkest Hour – Sound the Surrender

My zine is heavily influenced by the things that I’m into besides keyboards. The biggest influence being music; particularly heavy metal (and it’s subgenres), hardcore (admittedly a subgenre but unique enough in my eyes), and hip hop.  Hardcore has a long history of publishing fanzines covering bands, shows, and subtopics. Maybe the author is into a certain label, straightedge, or hardcore from a certain town. The zine would be laser focused on that and might include interviews with bands, articles about upcoming albums, and/or have pictures.  Hardcore zines often will include music too. Decibel Magazine has a flexidisc in every issue. The Moment of Truth Vol 3 zine run by Ricky Singh of Backtrack included a mixtape with printed lyrics and explanations of the songs. I suppose what really kicked my ass into gear was watching this documentary on Judge and how they released their demo in a zine.

Besides hardcore zines, the metal and hardcore live music scenes are a huge influence. I go to a lot of shows a year. I average about 20 a year and I could go to more but annoying things like me being tired and work get in the way. I almost exclusively go to metal and hardcore shows; a lot of local hardcore too. It helps I know some of the promoters around town so I hear about the basement shows and really small unknown venues. And I guess I should also mention I pay about $15 on average for a show so it’s easy to hit a ton. If you don’t know what a hardcore show is like, check this out.

Not a valid vimeo URL
No Warning – 4/10/15

The video is an amazing segue into hate5six and the legend that is Sunny Singh. This beautiful man goes to shows up and down the east coast and even all over the USA to tape hardcore shows for his site. He publishes the videos on his site for free. And he’s dedicated; he posts a lot of videos and even filmed an entire Mindset set after getting accidently punched. It’s a really good way to check out lesser-known hardcore bands and experience them live; which is the best way to experience hardcore. 

So why am I talking so much about Sunny? Right when I started Tactile, hate5six put on a retrospective event where Sunny talked about his seven years of running the site….for free. So when I decided to run Tactile for free, I contacted him to talk about doing things DIY and for free. It gave me a lot of insight into how I wanted to run the zine. Plus I like the manifesto a lot.

All right, now that we’ve read far too much about my tastes in music, let’s talk about fashion and design.  If you didn’t notice already the Futura Italic font is a close representative to the Futura Heavy Oblique font made famous by a certain skateshop on Lafayette street in New York City. I think it’s fascinating how easily a fashion label or brand can make a little image or just words iconic. Companies like Bape, Supreme, and Carhartt have a certain aesthetic that I think is really cool; even if I can’t support the company and clothes for other reasons. I now find myself cruising malls and stores looking for certain typography or imagery that grabs my attention so that I can turn that into something usable for the zine.

Along the lines of imagery, I also find myself really drawing to graffiti. I adore HipsterPunks' and kudosgodspeed's handstyles. And I love Sen4, Gary Stranger, Klops, and Aper.

Not a valid vimeo URL
Klops Fresh Paint #2

If you’ve seen the stickers, you may have already figured out that I’m a huge fan of retro video games. I’m talking like NES, SNES, N64, Turbografx, Neo-Geo MVS, Game Boy Advanced, etc etc. All of the 8 bit video game stickers are sprites from various video games I love or have loved in the past. A lot of them my family recognizes as games we grew up playing. I love the look and am obsessed with that part of my childhood.

Finally, this community inspires me. So many people have reached out or were open to helping with the artwork. BlueNalgene, inanis, booper, hydrospell, coconut, hipsterpunks, and others have contributed to the zine’s look and I’m really grateful for that. I’m bad at Photoshop and worse at drawing so just to have people who are interested enough to spend time drawing for me is a blessing.  And if you see this and somehow feel inspired to draw or contribute some words or pictures….really if you wanna help out, just contact me. We’ll make it happen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2015, 21:31:59 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #603 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 21:21:04 »
blooper

This is an amusingly punny typo.  :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #604 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 21:31:42 »
blooper

This is an amusingly punny typo.  :)

**** that's the second time I've done that. FORGIVE ME BOOPER

Thought it was a drought.

CONUS all out now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2015, 21:33:35 by CPTBadAss »

Offline R1N3

« Reply #605 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 02:10:36 »
Tactile Zine Presents: Behind the Scenes No. II

Influences.

More music
More
Have Heart’s Watch Me Rise

Iron Maiden – Aces High

Cam’ron – Down and Out

Darkest Hour – Sound the Surrender

My zine is heavily influenced by the things that I’m into besides keyboards. The biggest influence being music; particularly heavy metal (and it’s subgenres), hardcore (admittedly a subgenre but unique enough in my eyes), and hip hop.  Hardcore has a long history of publishing fanzines covering bands, shows, and subtopics. Maybe the author is into a certain label, straightedge, or hardcore from a certain town. The zine would be laser focused on that and might include interviews with bands, articles about upcoming albums, and/or have pictures.  Hardcore zines often will include music too. Decibel Magazine has a flexidisc in every issue. The Moment of Truth Vol 3 zine run by Ricky Singh of Backtrack included a mixtape with printed lyrics and explanations of the songs. I suppose what really kicked my ass into gear was watching this documentary on Judge and how they released their demo in a zine.

Besides hardcore zines, the metal and hardcore live music scenes are a huge influence. I go to a lot of shows a year. I average about 20 a year and I could go to more but annoying things like me being tired and work get in the way. I almost exclusively go to metal and hardcore shows; a lot of local hardcore too. It helps I know some of the promoters around town so I hear about the basement shows and really small unknown venues. And I guess I should also mention I pay about $15 on average for a show so it’s easy to hit a ton. If you don’t know what a hardcore show is like, check this out.

Not a valid vimeo URL
No Warning – 4/10/15

The video is an amazing segue into hate5six and the legend that is Sunny Singh. This beautiful man goes to shows up and down the east coast and even all over the USA to tape hardcore shows for his site. He publishes the videos on his site for free. And he’s dedicated; he posts a lot of videos and even filmed an entire Mindset set after getting accidently punched. It’s a really good way to check out lesser-known hardcore bands and experience them live; which is the best way to experience hardcore. 

So why am I talking so much about Sunny? Right when I started Tactile, hate5six put on a retrospective event where Sunny talked about his seven years of running the site….for free. So when I decided to run Tactile for free, I contacted him to talk about doing things DIY and for free. It gave me a lot of insight into how I wanted to run the zine. Plus I like the manifesto a lot.

All right, now that we’ve read far too much about my tastes in music, let’s talk about fashion and design.  If you didn’t notice already the Futura Italic font is a close representative to the Futura Heavy Oblique font made famous by a certain skateshop on Lafayette street in New York City. I think it’s fascinating how easily a fashion label or brand can make a little image or just words iconic. Companies like Bape, Supreme, and Carhartt have a certain aesthetic that I think is really cool; even if I can’t support the company and clothes for other reasons. I now find myself cruising malls and stores looking for certain typography or imagery that grabs my attention so that I can turn that into something usable for the zine.

Along the lines of imagery, I also find myself really drawing to graffiti. I adore HipsterPunks' and kudosgodspeed's handstyles. And I love Sen4, Gary Stranger, Klops, and Aper.

Not a valid vimeo URL
Klops Fresh Paint #2

If you’ve seen the stickers, you may have already figured out that I’m a huge fan of retro video games. I’m talking like NES, SNES, N64, Turbografx, Neo-Geo MVS, Game Boy Advanced, etc etc. All of the 8 bit video game stickers are sprites from various video games I love or have loved in the past. A lot of them my family recognizes as games we grew up playing. I love the look and am obsessed with that part of my childhood.

Finally, this community inspires me. So many people have reached out or were open to helping with the artwork. BlueNalgene, inanis, booper, hydrospell, coconut, hipsterpunks, and others have contributed to the zine’s look and I’m really grateful for that. I’m bad at Photoshop and worse at drawing so just to have people who are interested enough to spend time drawing for me is a blessing.  And if you see this and somehow feel inspired to draw or contribute some words or pictures….really if you wanna help out, just contact me. We’ll make it happen.

Three hunna

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #606 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 21:55:40 »

The next batch of the zines are out. I've only got two to mail out and they're not going out tonight because I ran out of the older volumes. Gotta print more. So like 99% are in the mail.

This one was really cool.

So minus the last two envelopes, Tactile is pretty much on hiatus. I've got two more BTS write ups coming out before I leave. I will be completely AFK and I probably won't check in from 12/23/15 until 1/18/16. No new Volumes until February 2016 ish.  I do have some goods or merch in the works to sell and I've got a backlog of interviews so I don't anticipate too much downtime when I'm back. Unless work is real crazy which it might be.

Thanks for a wonderful 2015 readers. Really excited and happy to have this audience and opportunity.

Offline neverused

« Reply #607 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 22:21:59 »
Good luck! Looking forward to 2016.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #608 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 23:00:38 »

Show Image

This one was really cool.

Nice stamps...  :-)

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #609 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 11:50:22 »
I will be completely AFK and I probably won't check in from 12/23/15 until 1/18/16. No new Volumes until February 2016 ish.

I'm going to hold you to that.  Somebody has to be the fire under you.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #610 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 12:10:07 »
I will be completely AFK and I probably won't check in from 12/23/15 until 1/18/16. No new Volumes until February 2016 ish.

I'm going to hold you to that.  Somebody has to be the fire under you.

You're not my real dad Dylan!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #611 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 12:13:24 »
I'm sad that there will be a hiatus, but take some time off. You deserve it. I'll still be supporting the 'Zine, and those fat checks should continue to roll in. :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #612 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 12:58:16 »
I should probably put this out there: I'm going to be out of the state/country for a month starting around Christmas. I can't print zines while I'm on airplanes or overseas. That's why I'm going on hiatus. No personal issues or anything. The previous family situation has improved as I stated before. I actually have interviews lined up for the next Volume. The real issue is having the zines printed/folded/stapled and mailed out. I don't want to burden someone with a lot of work right at the holidays. Nor am I comfortable passing out the mailing list to anyone.

I'm sad that there will be a hiatus, but take some time off. You deserve it. I'll still be supporting the 'Zine, and those fat checks should continue to roll in. :P

The fattest checks ;). The paper checks are a lot of fun to receive actually.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:14:07 by CPTBadAss »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #613 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:16:14 »
Are you going to VN?  I still need to send you that dong.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #614 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:17:56 »

If you're going to VN, I have a hit list of people for you to visit. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #615 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:18:21 »

I wish...one day. Australia and Hong Kong.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #616 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:19:44 »

Ah, fun.  Hope you enjoy your trip bro.  一路平安
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #617 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:42:00 »
Have heart is a good band

Also, in regards to shows, I go to a ton at this tiny local place in Burlington. Oldest all-ages venue in the country. This should give you an idea of the size:

demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #618 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:27:30 »
Have heart is a good band

Also, in regards to shows, I go to a ton at this tiny local place in Burlington. Oldest all-ages venue in the country. This should give you an idea of the size:

I wish I knew about this when I lived in Burlington :(.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #619 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:07:47 »

When you get monthly checks in the mail like it's the first of the month. Thank you jdcarpe for your continued support and making me smile when I open the mail box. I really think it's fun and I like using the phone app to deposit the check.

Picture intentionally blurry but yes, it's a paper check I get mailed to me hehe.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #620 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:17:00 »
Show Image

When you get monthly checks in the mail like it's the first of the month. Thank you jdcarpe for your continued support and making me smile when I open the mail box. I really think it's fun and I like using the phone app to deposit the check.

Picture intentionally blurry but yes, it's a paper check I get mailed to me hehe.

I'm gonna do this too.  Do JD's get delivered around the 10th every month?  I'll have mine deliver around the 25th, for even more excitement.  :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #621 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:22:04 »
I'm gonna do this too.  Do JD's get delivered around the 10th every month?  I'll have mine deliver around the 25th, for even more excitement.  :D

Yup, they get delivered around this time monthly. Most of the time I deposit the check on my phone but sometimes I cash it so I can count these fat stacks of zine money.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #622 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 05:35:38 »

Where are you going in Australia?  :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #623 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 23:38:58 »
Melbourne and Sydney. I'm going for a short amount of time with family so I can't meet up with anyone. :(

On another note, if anyone has recommendations on things to do in Hong Kong, Melbourne, and Sydney please let me know.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #624 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 23:48:29 »
I got my Zine in yesterday! Haven't gotten to read it yet. I've been too busy.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #625 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 04:20:30 »
Melbourne and Sydney. I'm going for a short amount of time with family so I can't meet up with anyone. :(

On another note, if anyone has recommendations on things to do in Hong Kong, Melbourne, and Sydney please let me know.

In HK go to Nomads Mongolian restaurant.
In Melbourne try eureka sky deck, the Melbourne star and maybe the Carlton gardens depending on what you're into.

Offline neverused

« Reply #626 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 06:24:19 »

Just got my copy in the mail, my wife almost tossed it out! Thanks CPTBadAss

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:20:17 »

With all the Clack hype, I thought I'd add my own. Coming to Tactile soonTM, an exclusive interview with the man himself: Click Clack. Excited for the opportunity.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:27:40 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #628 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:39:18 »
Show Image

With all the Clack hype, I thought I'd add my own. Coming to Tactile soonTM, an exclusive interview with the man himself: Click Clack. Excited for the opportunity.

HYYYYYPE

So stoked for that one.  Will be a fun chance for the newcomers in the last year+ to see him as more than a shady figure behind the scenes.  :thumb:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #629 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:40:06 »
Show Image

That is really cool! The hype is real!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #630 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:42:03 »
Show Image

Let the hype flow through you.

Can't wait to read it man. Loving what you are doing. Which reminds me, I need to donate. 😲

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #631 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:54:19 »
Show Image

:O Hypeeeeee!

Pls ask about that 60% model M  cc found in his work closet. It wasn't a Kish, and he never posted more pics of it. :(
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #632 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:57:50 »
Pls ask about that 60% model M  cc found in his work closet. It wasn't a Kish, and he never posted more pics of it. :(

That's a good question. I love that micro M picture so much haha.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #633 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:08:12 »

Yeah!! We *really* need some more info on that board.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #634 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:11:31 »
I think it's your plan already but you should ask him if his living situation got better and if he can tell us a little more about his issues during clackvent.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #635 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:13:47 »
I think it's your plan already but you should ask him if his living situation got better and if he can tell us a little more about his issues during clackvent.

Honestly? I'm not going to ask him that. He's pretty private and I want to focus on other questions. I'm fairly sure he'd shoot that question down.

Offline neverused

« Reply #636 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:15:41 »

Yeah!! We *really* need some more info on that board.
Isn't that photoshopped? The one image I saw had wrong perspectives and proportions.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #637 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:20:37 »

Honestly? I'm not going to ask him that. He's pretty private and I want to focus on other questions. I'm fairly sure he'd shoot that question down.

Ask him what are the most frequent and annoying questions he gets via PM.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #638 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:49:28 »
Ask him why he never returns my calls anymore.  :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #639 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:50:22 »

Clack used to call you on your cell phone? Late night when you needed his love?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #640 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:50:34 »

No longer accepting 3am booty calls.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #641 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:06:30 »

Clack used to call you on your cell phone? Late night when you needed his love?

My love is not bound to the schedule dictated by society.

(Also acknowledging presumed missed hip-hap reference)

No longer accepting 3am booty calls.

Who the hell is accepting 3am booty calls anymore??  :|

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #642 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:12:46 »
Who the hell is accepting 3am booty calls anymore??  :|

I am. You got my #.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #643 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 16:05:39 »
A few readers have suggested that there might be interest in having readers work on Tactile while I’m gone for a month or more. I came up with this idea that a few readers have signed up to so I’m comfortable with announcing it.

A quick summary: I’m going to mail out disposable cameras. The readership or anyone interested will take pictures. When I return, I’ll figure out shipping or how to get the pictures developed. Then I’ll make a photo zine which will be sold.

FOR MORE DETAILS AND INFORMATION ON HOW TO PARTICIPATE, CLICK ON THIS LINK

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #644 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 06:02:20 »
New issue arrived! Thanks CPT!

Haven't had a chance to open and read it yet, but looking forward to it. My dog is also a big fan of it, judging by the little nip he left on the envelope. :P

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #645 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 06:06:14 »
USPS is stamping the envelopes with Happy Holidays? That's cute :).

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #646 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 18:15:02 »
Just opening V4! Thanks CBA.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #647 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 16:14:40 »
Received my zine tonight, a pleasure to read like always.

Thanks for the keeping this alive Captain !
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #648 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 16:28:12 »
Glad ya'll are enjoying it. Anyone mess with the QR codes yet? Thoughts?

Offline neverused

« Reply #649 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 16:28:46 »
Glad ya'll are enjoying it. Anyone mess with the QR codes yet? Thoughts?
I like it, nice playlist