Author Topic: Tactile Zine  (Read 741001 times)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Tactile Zine
« Reply #800 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 21:16:29 »
Show Image

I wonder how normal people spend their evenings. At least I got Netflix?

If I had a folding machine, I'd look for things to fold. :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #801 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 21:25:00 »
So a while back I said I'd be working on Tactile posters. Finally to a point where I'm comfortable showing what I've been working on. I pulled this tonight and it's on the drying rack. It's due for one more layer of color next week. Shoutouts to hydrospell for making the graphic for me. It's been a long time coming from idea conception and emails to this point. Happy to make it happen finally.

This will be a 3 layered photo emulsion screen print made by yours truly. I've got ten of these right now at the studio.

And while the screen was being prepared, I made some monoprints. Because of the technique used, I was only able to make 4.

These were made in my screenprinting class along with these prints which I named Lion Keyng Jr. If there's interest I'd sell what I have left. I promised a few people prints and I want to give some prints to people who have inspired me.

So Vol 5 will be mailed soon. Prints and other goodies coming to a storefront soon as well. I've been working hard on stuff behind the scenes so please bear with the wait. Hopefully it's worth it. I know I keep saying it but it's only me working on all this. Really appreciate everyone's interest, patience, and support around my zine.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #802 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 08:27:44 »
Show Image

I wonder how normal people spend their evenings. At least I got Netflix?

Netflix and fold?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #803 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 08:29:12 »
Netflix and fold?

infiniti called it folding@home :))

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #804 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 23:53:10 »
Awesome stuff CPT! I'd be interested in a poster! :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #805 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 10:32:00 »
Awesome stuff CPT! I'd be interested in a poster! :)
I'll PM you when I done sorting through what I've got. Thanks for the interest XD.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #806 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 11:02:31 »
If you're interested in buying some stickers or keypullers, I've launched a thread where I'll be selling merch to support the zine. If you want to buy something to support Tactile instead of donating, please check it out. Of course, I'm always accepting donations and every penny is greatly appreciated.

Please check the OP and this thread if you're curious where the money goes.

Tactile Merch Thread

Donation Info

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #807 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:23:42 »
So a while back I said I'd be working on Tactile posters. Finally to a point where I'm comfortable showing what I've been working on. I pulled this tonight and it's on the drying rack. It's due for one more layer of color next week. Shoutouts to hydrospell for making the graphic for me. It's been a long time coming from idea conception and emails to this point. Happy to make it happen finally.

This will be a 3 layered photo emulsion screen print made by yours truly. I've got ten of these right now at the studio.

Show Image

And while the screen was being prepared, I made some monoprints. Because of the technique used, I was only able to make 4.

Show Image

These were made in my screenprinting class along with these prints which I named Lion Keyng Jr. If there's interest I'd sell what I have left. I promised a few people prints and I want to give some prints to people who have inspired me.

So Vol 5 will be mailed soon. Prints and other goodies coming to a storefront soon as well. I've been working hard on stuff behind the scenes so please bear with the wait. Hopefully it's worth it. I know I keep saying it but it's only me working on all this. Really appreciate everyone's interest, patience, and support around my zine.

I don't like perfect registration. I don't like screenprints TOO clean. I want to see the pulls, the imperfections, the art that goes into handpulling a print. And, of course, great color choices.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #808 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:31:19 »
The teacher of my class keeps harping on consistency. Like if I make a mistake, I should carry the mistake through the run. So I feel like I should just setup my registration properly and "perfectly" so that it's easier to replicate through the run. Of course it didn't turn out that way. I guess we'll see tomorrow how it all ends up.

Offline neverused

« Reply #809 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:32:38 »
The teacher of my class keeps harping on consistency. Like if I make a mistake, I should carry the mistake through the run. So I feel like I should just setup my registration properly and "perfectly" so that it's easier to replicate through the run. Of course it didn't turn out that way. I guess we'll see tomorrow how it all ends up.
That must be the engineering side of you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #810 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:43:12 »

You know I like it dirty.

That must be the engineering side of you.

Hahaha. Dead on.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #811 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 20:35:10 »

Look this week I'm stapling. I'm running out of space in my Vans box so I found another shoe box to hold more zines...

Apparently Fred and Barney designed this colorway :))

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #812 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 02:58:05 »
Like you gonna run out of shoe boxes...

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #813 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 03:06:21 »
Like you gonna run out of shoe boxes...

Time to buy more shoes?!?!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #814 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 06:33:15 »
What are you trying to say absyrd?! I don't have any shoes...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #815 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 21:16:20 »

Hmm....well screenprinting class is over. Unfortunately, I only managed to make 3ish good prints out of the 10 I had in the edition. I don't think the bad prints are worth selling so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I guess when I get the prints in hand when they're done drying, I'll take some pics and see if there's any interest.

I am planning on getting access to a screenprinting studio for 2 months this summer so I'm still hoping to do a decent run of these prints to have for sale in the merch thread.

Overall I fell in love with screenprinting and I can't wait to try my hand at this print again as well as shirts. Thanks again to hydrospell for the design.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #816 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 12:02:26 »
I'm really excited. Got some film pics printed so I can expand on my wish to make photozines. I shot a bunch of pictures with R1N3 recently and finally got em made. The pics are straight up lomography and lo-fi and I love it. Such grain.

by Tactile Zine, on Flickr

Anyways, I've created a Flickr for Tactile. This summer I plan on taking a darkroom class. I've also picked up a Gameboy Camera and printer and an Instax; in addition to my Olympus digital camera and the lovely S7 camera. So expect lots more content in this flickr. You can also follow me @mosh518 on Instagram along with #tactilezine. I'm really into IG so there's content there as well :D.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2016, 12:04:03 by CPTBadAss »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #817 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 23:30:17 »

This stupid picture represents a few evenings of folding and stapling paper. The zines are finally not just a pile of papers sitting on my desk. The next few steps:

1) Figure out how to use my thermal printer's software
2) Import a my address list to the thermal printer software
3) Print address/stamps through Stamps.com or whatever channel will let me

If that doesn't all work, I'll just start hand addressing envelopes again. I'm hoping the thermal printers will speed up my turnaround time later.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #818 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:31:05 »
Updates:

- I figured out how to get the software working for the thermal printer. I need to reorganize a huge spreadsheet in Excel before the software will take the info though so that will take a while. I'm hoping to have it done before the coming weekend.

- I have thermal printing supplies for addresses and maybe stamps. I'm thinking I'm just going to go with normal stamps for this run because I don't feel like waiting for Stamps.com. Plus I still have a ton of normal stamps. So Vol 5 will be mailed out very soon. I finally have the time and have figured a lot of stuff out.

- Because the merch sale is going well, I've been able to buy some new cameras to start the next phase of the zine. I've been wanting to dive into photography more and make photozines. It also turns out that there's a darkroom class at the school I took my screenprinting class at. So I'll be taking that as well as going to a screenprinting studio starting in June. I'm hoping to start pushing out some photozines as well as the normal print zines sometime over the summer. I've been working on digital photography as well. I made a flickr over the weekend so expect a lot more visual content. Check it out at Tactile Zine Flickr.

- I'm picking up my prints on Wednesday and I'll have all my screenprinting stuff in hand. Still deciding what I want to do with it all.

- I'm in the process of working on a mini-zine. Tentatively titled Volume 5.5. Layout and graphics have been messed with. I might still change it up. Working on the words now.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:36:28 by CPTBadAss »

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #819 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 05:35:32 »
Exciting times! Can't wait to see what is incoming! :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #820 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 20:37:24 »

P5030141

Be@brick wanted to go for a walk in the woods with his favorite toy. I was blessed with the chance to make a double-shot lion keyng V2 at Binge's lair. Now it's Be@brick playmate.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #821 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 20:46:46 »
Show Image

P5030141

Be@brick wanted to go for a walk in the woods with his favorite toy. I was blessed with the chance to make a double-shot lion keyng V2 at Binge's lair. Now it's Be@brick playmate.

"Tryna finesse this shot..."

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #822 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 20:55:28 »
Show Image

P5030141

I need to start photographing my keycaps!  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #823 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 20:35:43 »
Update:

At this exact moment, I'm trying to get my label printer to work. Once that's up and running, I should be able to ship zines THIS WEEK.

The Nikon FE that I picked up arrived and seems to be in working order. I'm using this to make some photozines and incorporate more pictures, yes film pictures, into zines.

I then promptly shot a roll of Kodak Gold 200....then ruined it because I didn't understand how to rewind the film back into the canister.

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:02:21 by CPTBadAss »

Offline R1N3

« Reply #824 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 20:49:01 »
Hahaha m8 shoulda scoped that YouTube tutorial fam

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #825 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:09:04 »
nice purchase bro! i have a nikon fm2 and its a beast

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #826 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:11:55 »
Sigh everything I do for this zine is a learning experience. I messed up the film. And now I'm struggling with this damn thermal printer which took forever to setup. Now it starts and stops printing for no reason.  Ugh. I swear I'm making progress and trying to ship stuff.  Promise.

Regardless of my frustration, I'm really excited to shoot with the Nikon. Had a blast Saturday with it and I just got more film tonight to replace what I messed up.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #827 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:27:46 »

I conquered the printer. I am the champion.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #828 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:32:46 »
Show Image

Congrats!

From your photos, that looks like the same model of printer that was at the clinic I used to work at. It only ever messed up on me once, but it was a pain to fix. Glad you got it working!
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #829 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 07:10:26 »
Are you working towards a second career of window dressing and product styling coz.

Show Image

⌨ Filco MJ2 MX Blues / M0116 Orange Alps / Homemade 60% MX Reds / M0110

Cherry MX art prints 20/50 still available!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #830 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 07:36:58 »
Are you working towards a second career of window dressing and product styling coz.

Is this product stylish? If so then yes.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #831 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 20:28:38 »

Special package for the Tokyo meetup. So stoked to have my zines in Japan!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #832 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 08:47:57 »
Vol 5 started shipping yesterday. I'm hoping to finish up the bulk of them tonight and tomorrow. They'll definitely all be in my mailbox by Sunday. Can't wait for everyone to finally have it in hand and to see some reactions :). Thanks for being patient and supporting my project.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #833 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 14:46:40 »
Vol 5 started shipping yesterday. I'm hoping to finish up the bulk of them tonight and tomorrow. They'll definitely all be in my mailbox by Sunday. Can't wait for everyone to finally have it in hand and to see some reactions :). Thanks for being patient and supporting my project.

I look forward to it.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #834 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 15:43:43 »
nice

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #835 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 23:28:32 »

Offline neverused

« Reply #836 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 23:31:42 »
Exciting!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #837 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 04:37:48 »
Can't wait for it to arrive! :D

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #838 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 11:39:37 »
Oh damn! Exciting times.

I should probably slip some more cash into the Tactile funds now we at volume 5  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #839 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 14:16:19 »

International readers have their Volume 5s in the mail. CONUS coming shortly.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #840 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 22:36:22 »
Show Image

what an awesome gif

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #841 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 22:39:14 »
Show Image

what an awesome gif

I just discovered my S7 has a gif mode on the camera hahaha.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #842 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 17:04:56 »

Finally. Figured out the Nikon FE basic functions. Actually wound the film back properly and figured out the EV meter. This pic is the culmination of like 2 weeks of trial and error as well as lots of learning. Now to see how it develops...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #843 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 19:26:35 »

My mailbox is full so I'm walking around my complex stuffing zines into any available outgoing box. CONUS is half done.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #844 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 20:39:06 »
Show Image

Finally. Figured out the Nikon FE basic functions. Actually wound the film back properly and figured out the EV meter. This pic is the culmination of like 2 weeks of trial and error as well as lots of learning. Now to see how it develops...
nice! whats the cost of developing 1 roll of film there?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #845 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 21:15:24 »
nice! whats the cost of developing 1 roll of film there?

For one roll of 35mm C41 film, it costs $10-15. Walgreen's will do it for $10 but the quality is low and you don't get any negatives. They give you a CD instead with the scans and the scans are really low quality. My local camera store will develop singles for $15 and give me negatives. And they're really good quality.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #846 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 15:51:43 »
Volume 5 is out now for everyone. Just threw the last CONUS into the mailbox. Can't wait for everyone to get theirs. In the meantime, here's a teaser for the next Volume.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #847 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 16:17:43 »
Volume 5 is out now for everyone. Just threw the last CONUS into the mailbox. Can't wait for everyone to get theirs. In the meantime, here's a teaser for the next Volume.

Show Image

excited  :thumb:

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #848 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 01:38:59 »
Yay more good stuff in the mail!  ;D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #849 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 18:06:02 »
Show Image

I like to pretend this is entirely accurate - CPT grabs a single envelope at a time, for maximum hype.