Author Topic: [IC] GMK Norse | GB March 2-30 / Final Kits and Pricing!  (Read 178274 times)

Offline Skok

Re: [IC] GMK Norse - Updated Colors!
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 22:14:14 »
Poked my head back in here to see how it was coming along and sad to see the sub-legends were the more popular.  Mono-legends was what I was interested in.  Not sure if I'm in for a set anymore even if the mono-legends are added as an extra.  Hopefully you eventually run this in KAT with mono-legends in the future.

Sorry to hear that but I understand. Regarding Monos vs Subs its still not decided yet but I really am pushing for monos. Something I would need to discuss with some of my peers. As for KAT Norse, I think it would be sick but lets get through the first one eh. Thanks for the feedback

I think it's just common sense, people use keycap to type so there must be alpha letter on it. For an expensive keycap set, they look for actual use. As long as you make sure alpha letters stay in base kit, it will sell.
Just looks cluttered to hell, and alphas are alphas. They retain their meaning for the most part

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Agreed. This whole set is being built around the Norse theme. Looking back at old renders the Latin Alphas look completely out of place when the theme is taken into account.

Offline Skok

« Reply #301 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 22:20:36 »
Poked my head back in here to see how it was coming along and sad to see the sub-legends were the more popular.  Mono-legends was what I was interested in.  Not sure if I'm in for a set anymore even if the mono-legends are added as an extra.  Hopefully you eventually run this in KAT with mono-legends in the future.

Sorry to hear that but I understand. Regarding Monos vs Subs its still not decided yet but I really am pushing for monos. Something I would need to discuss with some of my peers. As for KAT Norse, I think it would be sick but lets get through the first one eh. Thanks for the feedback

I think it's just common sense, people use keycap to type so there must be alpha letter on it. For an expensive keycap set, they look for actual use. As long as you make sure alpha letters stay in base kit, it will sell.

As a juxtaposition to that I think that the entire reason that theres a community for custom GMK, KAT, SA, etc is because those people want to buy "vanity" keycaps per se. People are buying them because they look cool. All of the sets serve the exact same purpose just with a different paint job and theme. I appreciate your input though. 

Offline ricepixer

« Reply #302 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 00:48:08 »
One more vote for runic monolegends because why not.  It's simple and sticks with the theme of the set!   Can't wait for this to come out either way.

Offline riterdando

« Reply #303 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 01:06:49 »
I second this.
Mono runic legends simply fit best with the theme.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #304 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 04:09:28 »

As a juxtaposition to that I think that the entire reason that theres a community for custom GMK, KAT, SA, etc is because those people want to buy "vanity" keycaps per se. People are buying them because they look cool. All of the sets serve the exact same purpose just with a different paint job and theme. I appreciate your input though.

Because they look cool and also thet are usable as well, that's why you have majority choose sublegends. I'm pretty sure that most of the custom keycap buyer won't even have a GH account and you IC form does not ask for username on GH, so outsider can vote as well, and they choose sublegends because they like the theme and the want to use it on keyboard. I think you should run 2 base kit if you want to keep the mono, one for mono without alpha and one for alpha with sublegends. This is my honest opinion. You may get a lot of upvotes from geekhack community but you sell this set worldwide, not only for geekhack.

Offline Drudoo

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 04:57:28 »
Will spacebars kit contain an extra B for Alice layouts?

Offline Skok

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 21:24:03 »
Will spacebars kit contain an extra B for Alice layouts?

yes.

Offline jack47

« Reply #307 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 22:50:32 »
Any chance for a SEA vendor?

« Reply #308 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 22:53:43 »
consider me in for a set well done

Offline FilthyMike720

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 23:19:14 »
I really really like this  :eek:

Offline qluboards

« Reply #310 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 00:04:25 »
Honestly the viking legends are what I'm here for. Dope idea.

Offline Masticccc

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 00:41:30 »
Well runic monolegend is the only thing I'm in. So base kit sublegend is okay as long as runic monolegends go as alpha set (actually I like this better since I'm not that interested in the whole base kit). If not, guess that I save myself some money lol

Offline Ireojimayo

• Yo dayo
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 00:45:41 »
I love this set, I know the monolegends are less popular from the IC results.

But I think it makes this set unbelievably unique, it'd be a shame if this only ran in norse sublegends.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 10:23:09 »
It would be a shame to miss the opportunity to make this a unique set, due to people that just want a common set, that happens to have some novelty secondary legends.

Offline thesagason

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 12:12:49 »
Love this set, I’m down for the base and novelties.

Would love to see a deskmat in different colours i.e. all the colour choices for keycaps themselves.

Offline Kookiekurls

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 03:13:22 »
Would definitely like the runic mono legends. As someone who touch types, I don't need to read the legends. Having something different and cool to look at would be wonderful!

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #316 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 05:57:11 »
Hoping for the Latin alphas with Runic sub legends make it as base kit. And an alternative Runics only alphas kit. I touch type but I just prefer the Runic subl egends over full on alphas.

Offline Spune

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:10:49 »
If the rune monolegends do not make it into the base kit, I think I will just take my chances and wait for a potential KAT Norse to appear some time down the road. Fingers crossed either way.

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #318 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:39:13 »

Most touch typists don't need to look at the keyboard to type, and that's not a small majority of the community.

I'll chime in and say had I known this existed, I definitely would've voted for mono legends. The selling point of this set is it's uniqueness. If you needed a set with latin alphas to LOOK at for typing, you would've been better off with a latin-alphas-only keyset so you can identify what key it is faster. These runes are for aesthetics so it makes 0 sense to ruin it with that being it's key feature.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 15:05:14 by Gnarled »

Offline VagueOrigin

« Reply #319 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:24:11 »

Most touch typists don't need to look at the keyboard to type, and that's not a small majority of the community.

I'll chime in and say had I known this existed, I definitely would've voted for mono legends. The selling point of this set is it's uniqueness. If you needed a set with latin alphas to LOOK at for typing, you would've been better off with a latin-alphas-only keyset so you can identify what key it is faster. These runes are for aesthetics so it makes 0 sense to ruin it with that being it's key feature.
My thoughts exactly,  I don't want to keep reiterating, as I'm sure Skok has seen it 100 times. Just slightly disappointed in the way it appears to be going. Ill actually still support the maker regardless since I've seen the effort poured into this set, they care. And for the community, with a lot of ppl trying to capitalize on it, that to me is a selling point. But now, it's skadi with a different colorway and novelties imo. We're fighting since you listened to em Skok! But I understand also haha... gotta sell what the ppl ask for i guess.

Offline Skok

« Reply #320 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:41:59 »

Agreed. I'm an awful touch typer so I'm usually looking at the keyboard for about half the time I'm typing. Its more important for me to have a symbol, in this case a rune, to associate with the letter. I dont necessarily need latin letters to know where I'm typing. Just something to help my fingers navigate the board while typing. Therefore I think its a non issue regarding monos.

Offline Skok

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:43:54 »

My thoughts exactly,  I don't want to keep reiterating, as I'm sure Skok has seen it 100 times. Just slightly disappointed in the way it appears to be going. Ill actually still support the maker regardless since I've seen the effort poured into this set, they care. And for the community, with a lot of ppl trying to capitalize on it, that to me is a selling point. But now, it's skadi with a different colorway and novelties imo. We're fighting since you listened to em Skok! But I understand also haha... gotta sell what the ppl ask for i guess.

I havent committed to either one yet. As I've stated before I'm still very intent on running with monos but just want to figure out if its a deal breaker for most people before I commit to anything. Maybe a reddit post will help me figure that out I'm not sure yet.

Offline VagueOrigin

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 17:28:39 »

I havent committed to either one yet. As I've stated before I'm still very intent on running with monos but just want to figure out if its a deal breaker for most people before I commit to anything. Maybe a reddit post will help me figure that out I'm not sure yet.

Oh thats my misunderstanding then, either way can't wait boss!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 21:13:18 »
Those fellows that want alphas plus runic have a legit demand. Keycaps are for typing, either if you need the legends or not. However, the point here is a bit far from being about functionality. It is a matter of getting a much standard set with runic as interesting secondary legends, the type of set that has been re-issued multiple times with Korean and Japanese legends, or -here is the catch- make this set very special with unique runic legends. Of course, the demand for this is limited, so maybe, a set like this has no future after all.

Offline Techlet

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 22:13:06 »
Runic mono ONLY is going to alienate a great deal of potential buyers.

The result from the IC poll speaks for itself.

Could do what other designers do and offer mono as an additional kit.

Offline jackrabbit

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 22:43:21 »
I would buy a runic mono kit separately in a heartbeat. In the end, I would be happy if runic monos make it into the GB in any way. However, I would obviously prefer them in the base kit, because if they are extra then whatever is in the base kit will be going straight back into the box forever, lol.
"I like my keyboards thunderous and my plates stiff." -Maledicted

Offline Valynar

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 14:31:54 »
So I've been reading the comments on this thread and I mostly see people who want mono runes. Because I voted for the subledgends, I feel like I should give my perspective on the discussion.

First of all, I chose sublegend runes because I indeed like to have Latin alphas. Not only do I like that because I am a meh touch typer, also because I like that aesthetically. Additionally, if I'm typing complex passwords or code, having Latin legends can be a lifesaver.
Secondly, making molds is, like has been said before, quite expensive. I believe making both versions, so runic alpha's and subledgends would be the best option. That is also the most expensive option though. Maybe the community could help with providing enough money?
Nonetheless, at the time of voting, I felt like having runic sublegends made more sense. Mostly because I felt that might also be beneficial for others making Scandinavian themed GMK sets. GMK IKEA with runic sublegends when ;)?

Nevertheless, I really like the colors of the set. I'm usually not into dark sets, but this one just works. So I'll buy it either way.  Good luck making such a tough decision. I'm looking forward to the reworked novelties. Keep up the excellent work!

Offline Eldu

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 14:45:22 »
Love the set!
I would also recommend to have base mono alphas and seperate mono runics - i'd want both anyway, because i adore the colour scheme and like to have the option to switch.
Both on one key look too cluttered imho!

Offline einigicky

« Reply #328 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 20:31:21 »
Just my 2 cents, but go with the base kit that appeals to most people latin alphas with or without sublegends and offer the mono runes as extra (maybe with the novelties? idk).  I would definitely get the mono legends I think they make the theme.  Love this set though am very excited for it, I have some of the dwarf factor vikings to go with it  :)

Offline harlekein

« Reply #329 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 10:47:23 »
Seems like those who want sub legends want them because they want latin alphas. Maybe just offer the base kit with latin alphas, then mono runic as a separate kit.

Offline Skok

« Reply #330 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 09:45:58 »
Those fellows that want alphas plus runic have a legit demand. Keycaps are for typing, either if you need the legends or not. However, the point here is a bit far from being about functionality. It is a matter of getting a much standard set with runic as interesting secondary legends, the type of set that has been re-issued multiple times with Korean and Japanese legends, or -here is the catch- make this set very special with unique runic legends. Of course, the demand for this is limited, so maybe, a set like this has no future after all.

If I could run with both Monos and Subs with one as a child kit without a ridiculous price I would. I simply do not know what it's going to cost other than the fact that it will be expensive. If google form responses were a perfect representation of how many people were buying the set, it would be really easy. As of today, there are 400 for Monos and 650 for Subs. But how many of those people are actually going to buy is another question, there are too many variables. I've put the set on the back burner temporarily, but still working on it when I can, until my Fall semester is over. That's why it's progressing slower than in the summer and is the reason I don't have as many answers as I wish I did.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #331 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:43:43 »

If I could run with both Monos and Subs with one as a child kit without a ridiculous price I would. I simply do not know what it's going to cost other than the fact that it will be expensive. If google form responses were a perfect representation of how many people were buying the set, it would be really easy. As of today, there are 400 for Monos and 650 for Subs. But how many of those people are actually going to buy is another question, there are too many variables. I've put the set on the back burner temporarily, but still working on it when I can, until my Fall semester is over. That's why it's progressing slower than in the summer and is the reason I don't have as many answers as I wish I did.

Common sense leads to run the set with alphas and runic sub-legends. It is just more commercially sound. Even if stubborn collector-minded fellows do not join, you may have the set pulling enough orders. I understood the end-of-semester madness.

Offline fuzewall

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 19:36:11 »
I really like these. i wouldn't get this deskmat though, a but of an overkill with the runes then. maybe a homestead or encampment scene to bring out the viking vibe. I would personally love a calm scene that i could see being the background setting to a lo-fi song.

Offline Galk

• Send help
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 04:49:44 »
Does anyone have a picture of the novelties set?
Collecting pennies to afford keyboards.

Offline Amnestey

« Reply #334 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:44:14 »
Any update on this set? Is it going into GB anytime soon?

Offline FamilyJoule924

« Reply #335 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 09:43:16 »
i hope this comes out with the runes in base kit.

Offline FireLock

« Reply #336 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 10:19:30 »
Any chance of including 660-boards type macrokeys? It would be awesome for like j-01or zenith

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #337 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 19:42:49 »
protection rune Rama Keycap when?  ^-^ :-*

Offline krzank

« Reply #338 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 13:47:39 »
There is R3:Tilde/Hash in base set - can you add R4:Pipe/Backslash then?
Or maybe R4:Tilde/GraveAccent?
If added to NORDEUK kit I'll be happy too.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #339 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 17:31:09 »
Pls include ilumkb as a vendor :)

I think the set would look cleaner without the sublegends. Maybe offer Latin alphas as base and runes as an add on.

Offline Dragonhunt

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 12:20:49 »
I really like the sublegends.

Would it be possible to add the runes to keys in the NorDeUk set?
If you don't add them then there are some layouts (like ISO-DE in my case) that look inconsistent since keys like Q, E, Y, and Z wouldn't have them.
Maybe shuffle the position of the @ and € to the left below the actual alpha so that you may keep the position of the rune?

Offline Heyhoman

« Reply #341 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 13:00:55 »
I really like the sublegends.

Would it be possible to add the runes to keys in the NorDeUk set?
If you don't add them then there are some layouts (like ISO-DE in my case) that look inconsistent since keys like Q, E, Y, and Z wouldn't have them.
Maybe shuffle the position of the @ and € to the left below the actual alpha so that you may keep the position of the rune?

+1 for this.

Offline refractive

« Reply #342 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 05:47:04 »
Love the idea of runic monos!

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #343 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 12:51:03 »
Any updates on this set? I’ve been eyeing it since I saw the IC thread :)

Offline Pyratheon

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 06:02:27 »
I'd be interested in this, aesthetically very cool, but only without the latin sub-legends.

Either way, hope this goes forward

Offline KT-afk

« Reply #345 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:13:26 »
Hoping for a SEA vendor! Really love the uniqueness of this set!

Offline Freeaboo

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 10:13:38 »
Yes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline saltimate

« Reply #347 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 19:01:31 »
I love the colours and runic legends but im only in if runic mono with non-text mods is an option
ideally need ortho and 40s support but i know that is kinda awkward with fkn GMK and the general lack of popularity for sub 60%
even just bunch of blanks would be dope to fill any gaps
i can't believe that there is more demand for sub-legends than mono, tbh the way this is looking rn i kind of expect to have to wait and hope this gets done in KAT...

Offline Skok

« Reply #348 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 20:19:43 »
I love the colours and runic legends but im only in if runic mono with non-text mods is an option
ideally need ortho and 40s support but i know that is kinda awkward with fkn GMK and the general lack of popularity for sub 60%
even just bunch of blanks would be dope to fill any gaps
i can't believe that there is more demand for sub-legends than mono, tbh the way this is looking rn i kind of expect to have to wait and hope this gets done in KAT...

Or maybe mt3... in my dreams. Subs will most likely be the final iteration. I can't ignore the majority. Monos could def come in a R2 if theres enough demand, but for now I need to focus on getting R1 to GB lol. Working on it as we speak. I'm not sure about ortho/40 support. It's something I have to discuss with vendors as many of them have told me it's extremely niche and usually isn't worth it unless the set is massive. Kind of up in the air for the time being.

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #349 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 20:56:39 »
Or maybe mt3... in my dreams. Subs will most likely be the final iteration. I can't ignore the majority. Monos could def come in a R2 if theres enough demand, but for now I need to focus on getting R1 to GB lol. Working on it as we speak. I'm not sure about ortho/40 support. It's something I have to discuss with vendors as many of them have told me it's extremely niche and usually isn't worth it unless the set is massive. Kind of up in the air for the time being.
That's too bad though I do understand where you come from.
I'd need to pass if it's sublegends, but GL with it! It'll definitely be more successful.
Looking forward to R2 then!

Also, MT3 would be a bomb! I've been considering picking up the WoB.
But if you able to get this in MT3, I would definitely get it! :thumb: