Author Topic: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears  (Read 116367 times)

Offline eyesmiles

Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears
« on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:43:58 »

Again, I wonder why I purchased another keyboard that comes with stock MX clears. But after seeing the listing at EK, it reminded me of when I first purchased my Leopold with clears from them back in 2011. The price is reasonable, it doesn’t have LEDs with pulsating rainbows everywhere, and the design of the case is nice compared to the usual angles on a Ducky or QFR. Plus, it wouldn’t hurt to have an extra TKL at home. Anyways, here we go.

The Box

The packaging is pretty simple. Aside from the all-black exterior, it has the KUL logo and 2 labels noting switch type, layout, etc. The box reminds me of the Ducky Shine II boxes.

What’s Inside

The keyboard includes a plastic cover, or what I call the “free plastic roof.”

Since the keyboard allows for swapping of Ctrl and Capslock, Backspace and \ , etc. through dip switches, it’s great to see that they include additional keycaps, not just a WASD cluster like many companies do. KUL also includes the usual keycap puller, USB mini B cable and PS/2 adapter.

Nudity (It’s SFW)

There are many images of the board with keycaps online, both on EK and on Keyed Up Labs official website. Here it is naked.

The KUL ES-87 comes with plate mount Cherry stabilizers.

Flangeless, diffused, blue, 3mm LEDs are located on the Esc, Caps Lock, Left Control, and Scroll Lock. They are not blindingly bright.

Warranties?

3 screws are all you need to remove to take the keyboard apart. The middle screw is hidden under the Void Warranty If Removed sticker. Like the Filco, just pop the tabs and the top and bottom portion come apart.

Dual Layer PCB.

The controller looks to be a Holtek HT82K94E.

Shot of the 8 dipswitches.

For all the people thinking about doing some modding, the WFD universal TKL plate lines up really well. The 5 holes on the stock plate line up perfectly with the existing holes in the universal TKL plate. The only problem I could think of is that the universal plate does not have the raised edges like the stock plate. The raised edges allow for the stock plate to not shift around when placed in the case.

Vanity Shot

Keyboards … Barbie Dolls … Dolch … don’t have to say much more …

Which Space Bar?

The KUL ES-87 comes with a 118mm wide with 50mm left and right from the center stemmed spacebar with additional 2 inner stems similar to SP’s Universal Space Bar. What does that mean? The KUL ES-87 can use any 6.25 unit space bar that comes with nearly any set without any problems. So feel free to have fun and swap key cap sets with no worries!

Some Thoughts

From an average person’s standpoint:

For the price point, it’s not that bad. It’s reasonable. If you are looking for a TKL that comes stock with MX clears and Cherry stabilizers, it’s a great option especially if you want something simple without all the LEDs everywhere. You can swap Control with Cap Locks and there is support for Macs. The ABS key caps that come stock are similar in thickness to Keycool key caps. The lasered legends … well … at least they’re not pad printed. If anyone has tried the $20 sets that EK offers, you may find that they’re quite similar to feel minus the textured space bar and minus the pad printing. The case has a nice texture to it, like the Filco MJ2s. For someone not into modding a keyboard and just want something to use straight out of the box, the KUL ES-87 is a nice option.

From someone who wants to take things apart and mod it standpoint:

One could say: “Well I can buy a QFR when it goes on sale for around $50, buy some switches, a bpiphany controller, and have a board with [insert uncommon switch type here] that I can program myself around that price point!” Sure, I can do that too … and swap the plate, paint the case, change the LEDs, swap the stock key caps and the list goes on. There are other options than buying this board but as you keep on modding, the price you paid for the board and parts just keeps going up. But of course, we can justify such reasoning ^-^

Thank you for the kind words guys. If you want me to take any additional pictures, post and let me know and I'll include them. I'm surprised the images came out alright considering it's been overcast for the past few days.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 22:03:26 by eyesmiles »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Keyed Up Labs KUL ES-87 with MX Clears
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:49:59 »
Nice review! I appreciate all the detail. I would definitely consider this board if I were in the market for a TKL.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:50:32 »
Excellent review eyesmiles, I really enjoyed reading through that.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline osi

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:04:10 »
Nice review and nice pics!

Offline nrd

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:04:13 »
Very nice review!

The keyboard includes a plastic cover, or what I call the “free plastic roof.”
:(
A sad reminder that the CODE didn’t come with a cover. I really liked the one I had for my full size board.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:04:54 »
Thank you, I think this will be my next board. MX clears, cherry stabs, locally available. Hopefully they can keep stock of the boards with clears.

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:11:29 »
eyesmiles:

How well does the cable stay in the channel?  Every keyboard I've tried that has channels gets the cable yanked out eventually.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:30:27 »
How well does the cable stay in the channel?  Every keyboard I've tried that has channels gets the cable yanked out eventually.

In the image where I show where the warranty sticker would be, you can see a small nub where if the cable were to be channeled from the center. The little nubs run along the side channels as well in alternating patterns. The stock cable is slightly thinner than what could fit in the channel so there is some play.

Using solely the center channel:

If you were to tug on it, it could budge out. The same with the Lindy Chrome cable I initially tested the board with. Thicker gauge USB cables have a slight problem going into the channels, but when under the nub, they stay secure. I tried it with a cable that came with my FC660M. Custom cables like tj's or Pexon's (the one I tried had MDPC sleeving), are similar to the stock one. All you need is to tug on it, and with some force it'll come out.

The side channels:

Once the cables are under the little nubs, they stay put pretty well. The only thing I can think of that could pull them from the nubs is if you were to drop the keyboard while it's connected.

I can take more pictures after work tomorrow if you'd like dante. It'll illustrate the "alternating nubs" easier.

Slight edit. I just tested a cable from Pexon. It's too thick to fit into the channel. tj's had no problem.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:35:55 by eyesmiles »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:38:21 »
eyesmiles, can you comment on what the dipswitches do? Nice review by the way :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:40:59 »
How do the stabilizers feel?

Offline dante

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:41:18 »

I can take more pictures after work tomorrow if you'd like dante. It'll illustrate the "alternating nubs" easier.

Nah no thanks.  Nothing to see here... going to keep saving up for a GON.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:42:34 »
Looks really nice with dolch, nice

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:55:28 »
eyesmiles, can you comment on what the dipswitches do? Nice review by the way :D

OffOn
Windows ModeOS X Mode
Left Ctrl = Left CtrlLeft Ctrl = Caps Lock , Caps Lock = Left Ctrl
Esc = EscEsc = `, ` = Esc
Backspace = BackspaceBackspace = \ , \ = Backspace
Shift + Fn = MenuFn = Menu , Shift + Fn = Fn
125Hz polling rate1000Hz polling rate
6-key rollover USBN-key rollover USB
Future expansionFuture expansion

Unsure on the future expansion portion. My table making skills suck :p Dipswitches from top to bottom: 1-8

How do the stabilizers feel?

A mushy that can get better over time. Sometimes the stabs get stuck on the return with imsto space bars if you seat it all the way. Oddly enough, the GMK ones have no problem.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 22:10:05 by eyesmiles »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 22:19:46 »
Looks similar to the WASD v2...
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 22:21:27 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:26:34 »
I see that the PCB supports ISO! :D

Offline jennb

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 18:30:12 »
Thanks for the solid review plus gut shots. I bought the clear based on it. You can never own too many clears or topres, right? (Right, sings the chorus.) I already have the Code Clear so this seemed like a nice cherry stab option. If I hate it, I'm gifting it or leaving it as a backup board.

I love this community when I'm not absolutely hating what it does to my wallet.  :eek:
Keyboards: Code MX Clear, Minivan Aliaz switches
Keycap sets: DSA Granite, SA Ice Cep

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 21:15:04 »
Bought one to try clears. Might be fun.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jennb

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 07:17:41 »
My KUL w/clears arrived. I think I may end up preferring it to my Code.

Agree with review: The actual case texture feels better than any other MX keyboard I've used (Filco, Ducky Premier, Code, Das). Nice packaging, too. Perhaps the only thing missing for me is that it isn't a full-size keyboard, but I obviously knew that going into the purchase. If KUL makes a full-size one in the future, I'd buy it, too. I am happily pleased by feel of the cherry stabs. Backlighting isn't a must-have for me.

Time and use will give me a better sense of quality, but here's hoping it lasts awhile without any issues as I really like it. No regrets & pleasantly surprised.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 07:22:01 »
Anyone with one of these that can speak to if they ping or not?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 07:34:01 »
If it was closer to the hundred dollar mark I might consider one of these but the price is too much at $129. For only a little bit more I could have a Phantom made with a litster case.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:19:25 »

Thanks for the review!! PGreat PICs and thanks for taking the board apart!!

Very curious about this as well!! All you KUL owners: any pinging???

Cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline intelli78

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:21:25 »
My KUL w/clears arrived. I think I may end up preferring it to my Code.

Can you post some thoughts on KUL vs. Code?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:27:59 »

I'll let you know when mine arrives. I just ordered it with the money I got back from returning my CODE. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:35:46 »
If it was closer to the hundred dollar mark I might consider one of these but the price is too much at $129. For only a little bit more I could have a Phantom made with a litster case.

I thought those litster cases were like $250?

I'll let you know when mine arrives. I just ordered it with the money I got back from returning my CODE. :)

Yeah I kept mine. :facepalm:

I'd like to see a fullsize version of this kul or maybe a matching keypad.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:27:30 »
I don't have any ping as far as I can tell.

Maybe it's because I always have headphones on, but this is actually a reasonably quiet keyboard.

I mean, it's still a mech and everything, but I'm very surprised by how quiet this thing is.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline intelli78

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:45:50 »

You returned it due to ping, or...?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:51:00 »

I sincerely question this. I had a free teensy on hand, already had keycaps, *and* got a free Filco case and had almost $130 in my phantom (not including the custom Pexon cable). Without those free items I would have easily crossed the $200 mark.

Furthermore, there was a Filco in a Lister acrylic case that sold just a few weeks ago for $250 in less than a day. If you can show me how on earth you could manage to not only build a phantom but also get one in a lister case for less than $200 I would be overjoyed to eat crow because I would buy that setup in a heart beat.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 17:25:18 »
The case is just as good as a Filco, and I might even say the entire keyboard is higher quality.

This thing is so incredibly solid.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 17:47:42 »

I've been using mine since I did the review and no pinging. Usually aside from the distinct pinging noise, there's that resonance from the plate you can feel from pinging. None of that either. KUL must've gotten a decent batch of clears.

This is one of the arguments I had with myself when I was thinking about whether or not to get the KUL. Since the preorder price was nearly similar to what I paid for the Leopold a few years back, it gave me that nostalgia feeling. What led me to purchasing it was purely curiousity about this newer company and hopefully to help others decided whether or not to try them out. But what it didn't really provide me despite the nostalgia was that excitement. Hence the reason I put two point of views in my thoughts section, the KUL didn't give me that "Hell Yeah, a board that comes with MX clears!" Ever since I learned to solder, finding keyboards that come equipped with clears was checked off my mental list. I can just do it myself. I have a phantom PCB and a teensy somewhere I haven't gotten around to working on. As of now, I find that more a deal because the parts I've gathered over the years are already considered paid off to me and don't count towards the final cost of a project. But if I was the same eyesmiles from years ago, the KUL would be a viable option since it's one of the few that come with clears.

I tried to be detailed as I could in the review to tailor not only for people newer to mechanical keyboards, but for those more versed so they could decide whether or not to spend more money on something they probably won't need :))

Offline jennb

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 19:56:35 »
Stock - Code Clear full-size vs KUL TKL

Code pluses
+ backlighting
+ full size
+ solid
+ tiny bit less frame around bottom row of keys
+ better legends :)

KUL pluses
+ no pinging, at least not on mine (pinging on stock Code)
+ cherry stabs (plus for me, minus for many)
+ really nice case, no seam on front (seam on back)
+ KUL seems to sit a tiny bit lower than Code
+ rubber feet (or mostly rubber feet)

I got my Code springs swapped for 62g & lubed so it is pretty perfect. We'll see which one I end up with as my main. Perhaps I had higher expectations for Code and lower for KUL & that informed my initial experience with the KUL? Could be. I'm not parting with either until they no longer work so no disappointment with either purchase.

Can't speak to the internals as I didn't take either of mine apart. With a lot more use, I'll have a better comparison. These were my first impressions. The Code really isn't that much more money. I'd be hard pressed to recommend one over the other, but KUL might win if the person was sensitive to pinging and if they didn't need backlighting/full-size.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 20:01:47 »
Thanks for the info. I scooped up a Code yesterday on the classifieds as an impulse buy; will have to see how bad the pinging is and whether I need to / can dampen it by stuffing some padding inside.

I was somewhat skeptical about the KUL's quality, since the website boasted so much without any actual evidence. On the other hand, EK does not carry junk products, so their decision to sell it speaks for itself. Good to see another quality entrant to the market.

Offline jennb

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 21:26:41 »
CODE & pinging -- I could use it at work around others typing at their keyboards & not notice the ping. I do notice it all the time in my nearly silent study.

I should add that the CODE has the cable tie. Nice small touch.

Enjoy the impulse buy & hope you like it!

Offline aref

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 23:15:08 »
If you have used a 55g  Topre, can you say how the 55g Clears compare with it?
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:50:49 by aref »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 01:35:24 »

I sincerely question this. I had a free teensy on hand, already had keycaps, *and* got a free Filco case and had almost $130 in my phantom (not including the custom Pexon cable). Without those free items I would have easily crossed the $200 mark.

Furthermore, there was a Filco in a Lister acrylic case that sold just a few weeks ago for $250 in less than a day. If you can show me how on earth you could manage to not only build a phantom but also get one in a lister case for less than $200 I would be overjoyed to eat crow because I would buy that setup in a heart beat.

Litster cases are $30 on Taobao, I've got one on my Filco. Switches, plate and PCB for about another hundred and there you go.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 06:10:47 »
Thanks for the review!

I am tempted to buy one as soon as MX blues become available :)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 06:47:03 »
Thanks for the review!

PM me then, we can split shipping costs ;)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 07:25:18 »
Thanks for the review!

PM me then, we can split shipping costs ;)

Sounds good  :thumb:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 07:46:59 »
Nice write-up!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 10:12:01 »

Topre and MX anything don't compare. At all.

But I do like the clears and I do like Topre, although 45g, not 55g.

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 13:52:17 »
Thinking about getting this keyboard to try out Cherry MX Clear switches. Are there better (more cost effective) choices out there for testing out a keyboard with clear switches? If not, this price seems pretty reasonable.
Poker II

Offline aref

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 14:26:16 »

Topre and MX anything don't compare. At all.

But I do like the clears and I do like Topre, although 45g, not 55g.

I understand that one cannot draw a direct comparison between MX and Topre switches. Nonetheless, your answer was helpful. Thank you.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 14:30:23 »
Thinking about getting this keyboard to try out Cherry MX Clear switches. Are there better (more cost effective) choices out there for testing out a keyboard with clear switches? If not, this price seems pretty reasonable.

This is actually a great price, IMO, for a keyboard with clears. I really like stock springs in my clear switches. Lubing them can help smooth them out a bit, but it's not really necessary. Stock clears are great switches.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 19:17:32 »
Even more excited for this board after hearing user impressions. Need some cash!

I think I'll save on shipping when I get the money and go check out EK's store front.

Offline aref

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 22:43:40 »
KUL is selling on Amazon, but MX Red and Brown switches only.

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 23:20:43 »
KUL is selling on Amazon, but MX Red and Brown switches only.

Yeah, but no Clears.

Also, if you're in the CONUS, the price inc. shipping on EK is $129, which is the same as the Amazon price w/ prime. So... no price incentive. Though I do like to purchase things via Amazon. Great customer support.
Poker II

Offline intelli78

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 23:27:54 »
the price inc. shipping on EK is $129

how are you achieving this?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 23:52:07 »

the price inc. shipping on EK is $129

how are you achieving this?

When you adds it to your cart, it comes up as $119. :D

in memoriam

Offline intelli78

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 23:58:16 »
When you adds it to your cart, it comes up as $119. :D

So it does! I was so preoccupied looking for a free shipping option that I didn't even notice. Thanks.  :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 19:43:34 »
Though I love this board, I'm too lazy to write a long review for it.

If you have any questions about it just ask me in a PM or something.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 20:10:20 »
Though I love this board, I'm too lazy to write a long review for it.

If you have any questions about it just ask me in a PM or something.

Heh, me too. But I can tell you this is the best stock (MX) keyboard I've ever bought. Yes, it's that good. And I'm a Filco guy.

in memoriam