Author Topic: SP Fade Function Keys  (Read 8434 times)

Offline mickd

SP Fade Function Keys
« on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 05:21:35 »
Very interesting look, but a bit too expensive in my opinion. Someone should get some though :)

http://keycapsdirect.com/marketplace.php

Offline Paranoid

Re: SP Fade Function Keys
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 05:27:04 »
these look more like production errors to me ^^

Offline mickd

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 05:30:16 »
Haha, yep. Definitely an experiment of some sort :)

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 05:31:29 »
Was checking them out earlier, nice of them to leave the price off them ;)
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Parabellum

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 05:39:19 »
$28 for a production error lol

Offline mickd

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 06:08:49 »
Yeah... SPs prices are a bit high. When I saw them I was thinking about ordering a set but I was expecting them to be like $15 max.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 07:07:34 »
^Word...$28 is a little too much.  $20 would be the sweet spot for me. 

But, It's good to see SP becoming more experimental.  I mean, look at all they've done in the past couple of months.  The new "easy" group buy aspect of their marketplace, glow in the dark keycaps, black on white and white on black full DS sets, etc.  They definitely seem to be targeting us and other keyboard forums more heavily than before....which is a good thing for us!
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2012, 07:09:51 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 07:25:10 »
I definitely would have bought their full set if they were OEM profile.

I might buy just the function keys since the profile hopefully doesn't matter for those keys... I don't really "type" on the F-keys... just push one every once in a while.  Decisions decisions.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Vintage

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 12:01:25 »
Looks kind weird to me.

Not really wort $28 IMO. That's just me though.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 12:15:16 »
Sorry Ben, those look kinda ugly but hopefully that's just me. lol  $31.75 shipped, think I'll pass. :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
  • Independent Plastics Consultant
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 12:21:28 »
Sorry Ben, those look kinda ugly but hopefully that's just me. lol  $31.75 shipped, think I'll pass. :)

Thanks for at least checking them out.  I thought the black/red color scheme would appeal to somebody with that Sanctuary set but maybe not.  I'll keep working on some other ideas.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
SP Fade Function Keys
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 12:21:47 »
passing on keycaps? the apocalypse really is coming

Thanks for at least checking them out.  I thought the black/red color scheme would appeal to somebody with that Sanctuary set but maybe not.  I'll keep working on some other ideas.
I think the choice of colour is great and seems like everyone thinks its pretty neat too but the main problem people have seem to be the price as at $32 after shipping it's a tad steep for just function keys.

Keep up the good work I really like the direction SP has headed in
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2012, 12:25:37 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 12:29:22 »

I applaud you for coming up with the idea tho.  Like tsangan said, it's a great idea just have to fine-tune it a bit more. :)

passing on keycaps? the apocalypse really is coming

Oh, be quiet you...  and go check your message on Skype. lol  ;)

Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 13:09:53 »
Is the color painted on?  Or is the color built in to the plastic?  I assumed it was built in to the plastic and permanent.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 13:15:06 »

That's about the first time I have seen reaper pass on some new custom keycaps! ;)

Edit: Note to self - read the entire thread before replying in case someone else has already made the same comment.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:34:21 »
Is the color painted on?  Or is the color built in to the plastic?  I assumed it was built in to the plastic and permanent.

No it is not painted, it's the color of the plastic resin.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:36:12 »
LoL, I was wondering when SP would start selling a purging run or equivalent thereof. Especially after the 2-3 year hiatus of the swirl keys and the recent influx of swirl-painted keys. It's easily and nicely repeatable with a staggard layering the pellets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:39:19 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:57:16 »

I think the choice of colour is great and seems like everyone thinks its pretty neat too but the main problem people have seem to be the price as at $32 after shipping it's a tad steep for just function keys.

by choice of colors i assume you mean my "production mistake" of selecting 2 colors, mixing and testing different blend ratios then feeding that ratio into the press while loading all the function key 1st shots in sequence.  you know, that classic production mistake.

i know how cost sensitive everyone on GH is and no one has EVER spent ~$2.5/cap customizing a board....

we'll see how next week goes, i have another concept in mind and hope to test and show if we have time in the shop.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:05:04 »

Are those the Sanctuary colors? I have a set of those coming and would be more interested knowing they were matched.

Also, very sincere thanks for experimenting and making new things available in low volumes.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:08:36 »
i know how cost sensitive everyone on GH is and no one has EVER spent ~$2.5/cap customizing a board....

:)) :)) :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:09:07 »

Are those the Sanctuary colors? I have a set of those coming and would be more interested knowing they were matched.

Also, very sincere thanks for experimenting and making new things available in low volumes.

- Ron | samwisekoi

i actually don't recall what that Sanctuary set color was but in any case those fade keys were a blend of colors so they are not the exact same shade as anything

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:09:18 »

by choice of colors i assume you mean my "production mistake" of selecting 2 colors, mixing and testing different blend ratios then feeding that ratio into the press while loading all the function key 1st shots in sequence.  you know, that classic production mistake.

we'll see how next week goes, i have another concept in mind and hope to test and show if we have time in the shop.

I like this guy....all he needs to do now is insert a funny gif or meme with every post and he'll fit right in!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:16:19 »
Do a teal too hot pink fade.... then you'd be money.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:32:31 »
Don't think I'd resist that. Or green to purple.

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:35:09 »

i'll have to take these under advisement and/or consider making them purely out of spite to show you how bad they would look.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:42:35 »

i'll have to take these under advisement and/or consider making them purely out of spite to show you how bad they would look.

and my 'teal' I mean that super light type of teal the Miami set was going to have, untill it fell apart ;_;

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:55:27 »
stay classy my friend.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 16:12:12 »
Miami set was awesome. In similar news; GTA vice city is coming to mobile OS's soon. VC on the iPad w007

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 16:12:57 »
Aww too bad you're not taking requests. It's a really interesting design.
I love Elzy

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 20:55:33 »
ok i found the Miami thread, not for me but we've established my taste is in question.  more to the point those colors will not blend, they would just be a nasty grey.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 20:59:20 »
What kind of colors work? I'm assuming a color + white/black?
I love Elzy

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 21:53:40 »
it's subjective (read - only colors i feel like trying)
it honestly is subjective, some i have tried that i thought would look ok have looked bad.  also neither of the fade colors can clash with the 1st shot colors. but generally yes, color +black/white should work
just to be clear this is experimental only and right now it looks to labor intensive (costly) for the market, i'm happy to discuss as time permits but dont want to give the impression this will be a regular product

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:00:44 »
Yeah I completely understand I was* just interested in what the limitations are and what possible color combos there could be. I think it looks good but of course with costs and labor intensity I'm not expecting too much out of it, just curious. I don't like doubleshots anyway I use blanks ^^
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:25:52 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:16:53 »
you're killing me here

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:20:20 »
Where are my cute blue keys Ben!!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:22:39 »
I get it, don't worry. And +1 for blue keys
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:26:54 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:24:10 »
I'm guessing that the obvious streaks through F10 and F11 were unintentional?

Offline Kruen

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 23:08:08 »

Could be, but I really like that. I'd definitely be keen for a set that goes black to blue.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 23:13:47 »
I think they look ok.  I mean they are not masterpieces like Alessandro or that tye dye chick makes (forgot her name).  But I think they are ok.  Maybe I am just drunk on eggnogg? *hic*

The trouble for me is I really want and need OEM profile to make a spur of the moment splurge like this.  They are SP Custom profile so I hafta think about it.  When I am forced to think about a product then I statistically usually don't end up buying it.  I either take too long and the product no longer exists... or I just never make up my mind.

I like simple decisions.

Offline mickd

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 23:21:39 »
That becomes less of a problem when you've gotten yourself a Cherry set, or some other custom SP sets ;)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 23:34:05 »
No its a problem because I need maximum travel before I crash.
Crashing = unhealthy.

All the crashpads on the market are specifically made for OEM profile.

I have HORRIBLE finger pain.  I must not crash.  Must use crashpads.  Must be 100% ergonomic.

The whole point of using springloaded keyboards is that you have 2mm to stop your finger before you crash into an immovable object and damage your nerves and tendons.

So I definitely can't use SP profile keys for the alphabet and numbers.

But maybe I could sneak by on special keys like cursor keys and F-keys.  Donno.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 23:37:07 »
Did someone say Miami set? BRING IT BACK!!! I NEEDS IT!

Offline mickd

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 23:39:26 »

Ah, sorry for assuming it was just an OCD thing with having different profiles on a board. That's a very valid reason.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 06:39:58 »
Would be really interesting to see some of your efforts that arnt for sale, might help quantify the price a little given that that seems to be people's biggest gripe

Offline mickd

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 06:42:37 »
Noo, don't tease my wallet with more things I can't have haha. There's already enough of those in the "photos of your custom korean keyboards" thread :)

That said, yes, pictures please!

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 08:21:46 »
i dont know, i've been waiting for you to setup a buy with 9 or 19 or 29 of your friends and use that new order system that M setup, that was a standard color i think (bfn or bfl or something?). 

actually not to shill but i guess the same could be said for the Miami people, not sure why that didnt fly but a relatively small group can order sets now, might be worthwhile

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 08:23:36 »

some have the streaks others are less pronounced, there is some randomness as the materials mix in the machine, not to retread what we've already covered but i thought the streaks added to the look.

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 08:24:42 »
Would be really interesting to see some of your efforts that arnt for sale, might help quantify the price a little given that that seems to be people's biggest gripe

i might object to the premise of your question but the point is moot since i dont have samples or photos of the other attempts.  Sorry.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 08:49:18 »
i dont know, i've been waiting for you to setup a buy with 9 or 19 or 29 of your friends and use that new order system that M setup, that was a standard color i think (bfn or bfl or something?). 

actually not to shill but i guess the same could be said for the Miami people, not sure why that didnt fly but a relatively small group can order sets now, might be worthwhile

becasue so many people failed to pay when we needed them too and then the site (GH) was taken down by dem try hard hackers which made contacting the people who failed to pay up hard to reach, so Boost (i think it was) canned it for the time being.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 11:43:54 »
Sadly it looks like these are no longer available  :(
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 11:53:51 »
This would work better if the fade went toward the escape key instead of away from it.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Octane

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 11:54:54 »
I didn't think they would last long. I thought they looked pretty good, and if I didn't have so much money tied up in other keys, hobbies, etc. I would have jumped on them.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 00:35:31 »
I really liked these keys. I was gonna buy them last night but I wasn't sure about it yet. When I went to get a set this morning they were all sold out. D:
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 13:35:39 »
What did they even look like? I notice the picture is down.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 13:42:19 »
Slime green and black would be cool. and is the legend restricted to white? something that doesnt clash so much...

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 13:45:12 »
What did they even look like? I notice the picture is down.

Gradient of black to red from F1* to F12
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 13:56:12 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 13:53:11 »