Author Topic: Comparing RA 2.0 GH cap and the monthly red on white GH cap  (Read 6243 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Comparing RA 2.0 GH cap and the monthly red on white GH cap
« on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 00:18:32 »
So I can't for the life of me tell these apart, I may be colourblind. But now I have 4 caps mixed up and not sure if one is a different colour.

Can anyone provide me with a photo comparing the two side by side?

Cheers,
Halverson

Offline Rumudiez

Re: Comparing RA 2.0 GH cap and the monthly red on white GH cap
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 20:34:19 »
Can YOU post a pic of your pieces? I don't own any of these, but maybe some group examination can reveal any differences.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline mickd

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 20:37:17 »
I saw a picture that someone posted with both on their keyboard and from their picture I could definitely tell a difference between the two. Can't remember where I saw the picture though..

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 21:02:09 »
These are from demik's monthly GH group buy...

I also have the ones from Rag's RA 2.0 GB and I'll post that later.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 21:22:29 »
They look identical... granted the monitor I'm typing on is a cracked LED screen that my Aunt hasn't taken back to the Black Friday sale yet... stupid people in the store look like they jabbed it with a pen.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 21:28:49 »
Those two ARE identical... they're the some ones.
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 21:39:24 »
And there was me thinking there was something wrong with my eyes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 22:24:03 »
i believe they're both RA on WFK and so copies of either should be identical

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 22:44:40 »
i believe they're both RA on WFK and so copies of either should be identical

Between the monthly and RA? I was comparing the white on red from RA and the older white on red cap, and they are a noticeable difference. I figured those were the two reds in these caps as well.

I would post pics, but currently out of country and the only potatoe iPhone pictures make them look the same but overexposed.

A side by side shot would be amazing Reaper:)

Also, if anyone reading this has the red on white from the RA2.0 buy. I would glady buy it to try and finish my GH cap collection. (This is the last one I need....95% sure).

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
  • Independent Plastics Consultant
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:00:47 »
i think i have seen some orders for RA and some for RR.  i know the color composition is different and i may not have the best sense of color but to me they are very close together when viewed in most light.  When i compare colors i am comparing a 2"x3" color chip and they look pretty close so if you are only looking at the 0.012" or 0.015" line thickness on the key it is probably hard to see a difference unless you really study them

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:40:01 »
i think i have seen some orders for RA and some for RR.  i know the color composition is different and i may not have the best sense of color but to me they are very close together when viewed in most light.  When i compare colors i am comparing a 2"x3" color chip and they look pretty close so if you are only looking at the 0.012" or 0.015" line thickness on the key it is probably hard to see a difference unless you really study them

Yea, I studied them in all types of light and still couldn't tell a lick of difference. You don't happen to have any RA2.0 GH caps laying around the shop do ya? :p

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:58:36 »

Yea, I studied them in all types of light and still couldn't tell a lick of difference. You don't happen to have any RA2.0 GH caps laying around the shop do ya? :p

Why don't you look at the red webbing on the back side?  Lots more plastic to compare, there.

I have a couple of RA red-on-white sets, but zero of the monthly order version, so I cannot cross-compare.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 11:00:07 »

Why don't you look at the red webbing on the back side?  Lots more plastic to compare, there.

I have a couple of RA red-on-white sets, but zero of the monthly order version, so I cannot cross-compare.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yea I did look at the backside mostly, and same results. So I'm just going to keep an eye out for a comparison photo, or try to get my hands on RA2.0 cap.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 11:42:30 »
Yea I did look at the backside mostly, and same results. So I'm just going to keep an eye out for a comparison photo, or try to get my hands on RA2.0 cap.

PM me your meatspace addy, and I'll drop one in the mail.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 02:26:02 »

PM me your meatspace addy, and I'll drop one in the mail.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Just noticed this now! PM sent!

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 14:31:10 »
i find the RA 2.0 GH cap's red is "darker" than Demik's old GB GH
when i get home i'll take a pic of them side by side, but this is the closest I can show you to compare from an old picture i uploaded.

Demik GH, RA 2.0 White on Red GH, RA 2.0 Red on White GH in that order

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 17:17:36 »
Thanks projectD. Looks darker on the left definitely, but photos are hard. Glissant should be taking a couple tomorrow as well, the more the merrier!

Offline mickd

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 22:45:23 »
Ooo that was the photo I was talking about earlier in the thread.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:19:08 »
Rag's RA set has the darker red..

Demik's GH GB on the left, Rag's RA on the right.
Din Eli

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:39:48 »
thanks reaper! I was busy last night and forgot to take pics

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:50:03 »
Haha, no problem.  I just happen to have some free time today.  :)
Din Eli

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:03:30 »
reaper since you got time find me a good price on the metallic blue filco or a black filco 104key mx blue! (sorry for the thread jacking)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:15:47 »
Hey, I'm not Google. lol  And you mean this?
Din Eli

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:42:01 »
yes but shipping is so much =( lol

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:44:23 »
Oh you guys, sall good. Thanks for the pic Reaper! That one has a definite darker red. Seems as though I'm still on the hunt for a RA2.0 cap, possibly, may have one in the works.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:21:19 »
Is there really that much difference?  Maybe I'm just over-tired with blurry eyes, and/or the colours on this monitor are not perfect, but to me they look almost identical.

Is it really a big deal?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:23:24 »
Is there really that much difference?  Maybe I'm just over-tired with blurry eyes, and/or the colours on this monitor are not perfect, but to me they look almost identical.

Is it really a big deal?

The one on the right is darker.

Big deal to mostly everyone? No. To me? Yes. I'm getting a nice collection of every GH cap of that style, and that is the only one that I am missing currently(to my knowledge), and even if it's ever so slightly darker, I still would like to have it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:34:40 »
Ok, fair enough, I can relate to that :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Comparing RA 2.0 GH cap and the monthly red on white GH cap
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 22:15:38 »

Is it really a big deal?

Big deal to mostly everyone? No. To me? Yes. I'm getting a nice collection of every GH cap of that style, and that is the only one that I am missing currently(to my knowledge), and even if it's ever so slightly darker, I still would like to have it.
Do you have the one in the R3 colors (White on Greyish)?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 22:27:35 »

Is it really a big deal?

The wannabe dolch style? Yup. When I'm back in my log home in northern Canada in a week or more, I'll get some pics to try and get folks to help me finish the collection.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Comparing RA 2.0 GH cap and the monthly red on white GH cap
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 22:35:22 »

Is it really a big deal?

The wannabe dolch style? Yup. When I'm back in my log home in northern Canada in a week or more, I'll get some pics to try and get folks to help me finish the collection.
How many are there total? I can't ever keep track...:( Wish I could get a set of all of them too, but I get distracted from the goal too easily. Especially with my Phantom in the works.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 00:55:12 »
How many are there...let me try to think of them all...not at home so I can't easily count them.

-RA 2.0 red on white
-RA 2.0 white on red
-R3 white on grey
-R3 white on black
-R3 white on orange
-R3 white on light blue
-CCnG white on green
-CCnG green on white
-Black on orange (origin dunno. R3 perhaps?)
-Orange on black (origin dunno. R3 perhaps?)
-Monthly buy black on yellow
-Monthly buy green on blue
-Monthly buy red on white
-Upcoming Valentines set (Not sure if two or one styles)
-Not quite the same style, but the QWERkey white/orange/black
-Not the same but similar, Imstos reddish orange on grey
-Not the same but Keyboard Stories black on red

That's everything I can think of at the moment! There are some more, like the GH fundraiser modifiers, and the Cherry replica modifiers. As well as the WASD lasered caps. And probably some caps I don't even know about!

And as for that....I just need the RA 2.0 red on white folks!

EDIT-There is also an orange on black ALPS cap
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 01:42:18 by Halverson »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 01:37:31 »
You are missing pretty much all of the ones from when I did the monthly group buy.  (And there are SEVERAL)  :)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 01:40:48 »
You are missing pretty much all of the ones from when I did the monthly group buy.  (And there are SEVERAL)  :)

Why you gotta do this to me mav! You sent them with that poker I bought from you right?

If you would be so kind, I would love a pm with the colours you did :)

Oh wait, don't think pms work with you, hehe. Just add what I'm missing to the list would be cool, forever on my quest to find GH rarities.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 01:44:26 by Halverson »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 01:52:40 »
mav's clearly trolling you lol
its ok, i only got like the 3 GH keys you see and the blue/green one from Demik

so anything from this year, nothing old school =(

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 01:57:35 »
mav's clearly trolling you lol
its ok, i only got like the 3 GH keys you see and the blue/green one from Demik

so anything from this year, nothing old school =(

Ohhh I dunno. I bet he has all the oldschool stuff before I even knew what mech boards were! Now I'm all wondering what the caps could be!

I was like you earlier this year, but then started going for it. It's not easy for sure. And I'm stuck on a cap that shouldn't be so rare!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 02:05:00 »
Oh he wasn't trolling.  Some of the best ones were from that era.  ;)

Din Eli

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 02:10:08 »
^See! I'm not crazy! Although the only one that seems really different if the white on dark blue looking one. Perhaps that green is darker than the CCnG one.

You probably have doubles Reaper, help me out  ;)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 09:29:11 »
I remember some of those buys... wish I had bought them then...

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 11:12:27 »
reaper, sell me a white on blue!