Author Topic: [GB] SP SA Yuri / DCS ALPS Yuri (Closed)  (Read 78552 times)

Offline mode

Re: [GB] SP SA Yuri / DCS ALPS Yuri (Closed)
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 01:14:44 »
Drop says production is complete, any chance of a shot of DSC Yuri?

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:42:33 »
Drop says production is complete, any chance of a shot of DSC Yuri?

So far i don't have any photos i could share here. Afaik i will get soon™ samples for QC and i will make few pictures of course. Also logistic services are recently very slow due to the current situation. So it will take some time...

Offline mode

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:48:46 »

DCS Yuri seconds have started showing up in grab bags!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:08:37 »
Just received production samples for QC and thus i am little bit busy. However i took some time to make some photos which you should take with grain of salt - because my camera really struggled with taking photos. My camera could not automatically figure white balance if i pointed it at the set (it behaved like i was shooting in cold light environment) and thus i had to do white balance manually. In Capture One i did also manual adjustments because photos were still way too warm. Anyway the orange here is way to orange and way too bright as in real. In reality that orange is more red (as it supposed to be) and darker.

Overall i am happy how dual alphas and mods turned out and at this point i can say that Signature Plastics did here really great job. Note: Numrow is standard and goes well with dual alphas and mods. This was the most worrying point for me.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:41:12 »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:50:41 »
wow

Offline Stormlex

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:55:23 »
Gorgeous!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 16:08:51 »
Beautiful. You've done Cyrillic users everywhere proud, T0m.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 11:02:34 »
I don't have an alps board and i took this photato with my phone. I hope you don't mind  at this point. Anyway here is the alps set.

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 11:05:41 by T0mb3ry »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 11:21:02 »
A better photo of random keys from my camera.

Offline mode

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 11:37:48 »
Wonderful, I'm so glad to see them look good :)

I was worried they'd have some flaw like the alps throwback set that didn't have homing keys, but they look perfect, can't wait! I hope I can buy a second set when they put the extras up.

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 13:57:05 »
Wonderful, I'm so glad to see them look good :)

I was worried they'd have some flaw like the alps throwback set that didn't have homing keys, but they look perfect, can't wait! I hope I can buy a second set when they put the extras up.

So im gonna be honest, I been typing on alps throwback for over a year now and never noticed the lack of homing keys...

Offline mode

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 15:19:19 »
How!? Homing keys are vital!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 16:54:55 »
The alphas look super crisp and the legend thickness and contrast is superb!  The novelty key also looks great.  Seems like the orange kinda gets lost on dark blue modifier alphas, though.  Wouldn’t have expected that to be an issue.  Maybe it’s lighting?  I thought the “code” key was a blank until I zoomed in on mobile.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 16:56:34 by pixelpusher »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 08:38:10 »
The alphas look super crisp and the legend thickness and contrast is superb!  The novelty key also looks great.  Seems like the orange kinda gets lost on dark blue modifier alphas, though.  Wouldn’t have expected that to be an issue.  Maybe it’s lighting?  I thought the “code” key was a blank until I zoomed in on mobile.

Indeed the font is quite thin and on a smaller screen it would be hard noticeable. In person the legends are better visible but i will definitely consider for future DCS Profile projects (if there will be any i can't say at this point and ALPS set did not so great) to make complete new or use different/bolder font (not sure if SP has any).

Offline mode

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 01:51:38 »
I like the thinner font, I prefer it for the alphas to cherry, It would be nicer if it was a bit bigger and/or more contrasting on the mods though.

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 07:49:10 »
Can you post a picture of the bottom side on an Alps key?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 08:32:47 »
Can you post a picture of the bottom side on an Alps key?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here you are.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:13:12 »
I hope we don't need to shave down all the stems like with DSA Lightcycle, can't see it from the picture

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 10:05:33 »
I hope we don't need to shave down all the stems like with DSA Lightcycle, can't see it from the picture

Should be ok as long as they used the same mold from DCS alps throwback.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 04:43:49 »

Good to know there are two molds for the stems.
Confirmation by Drop/SP/Tomb3ry would be awesome :D

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 11:26:34 »

Good to know there are two molds for the stems.
Confirmation by Drop/SP/Tomb3ry would be awesome :D

I don't know if its needed to shave down the stems as i don't have an alps keyboard. Anyway its pretty obvious that the stems are different because DSA and DCS are different profiles.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 11:57:58 »
Just for clarification. Here you can see all rows of  DCS alps bottoms and DCS mx (row 1 only) bottom next to it. As you can  see each row requires its own bottom mold and a bottom mold from DSA profile would not be compatible with DCS profile - because DSA is uniform across all rows where DCS has 4 different rows and each row has its specific angle.

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:00:06 by T0mb3ry »

Offline mode

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:07:53 »
I don't know if its needed to shave down the stems as i don't have an alps keyboard. Anyway its pretty obvious that the stems are different because DSA and DCS are different profiles.

Thanks again for running this, especially given you don't have an alps board! Are you at least considering getting one now you have the set?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:34:53 »

Thanks again for running this, especially given you don't have an alps board! Are you at least considering getting one now you have the set?

I need definitely an alps board in the future but i am not sure about switches yet as alps is still mystery for me. I tested few alps switches on meetups and i am not really sure on those. Tho alps browns are extreme bump switches and compared to holy pandas then - well holy pandas do smoke nervously in the corner.

Note: don't smoke kids its unhealthy.

Anyway I know only that it will be linear alps switch - as alps (as far as i know) was developed as linear switch and i am very strict in this case. I don't like artificial bumps and clicks, which do not contribute anything to the actual switch functionality. If i want bumps - i take Topre keyboard. If i want clicks - i take IBM Model F or beamspring (those are expensive  :'( ). Cherry MX and obviously Alps are only true for me if linear.
Its all subjective matter but i am here more on the historical and technical side. If you like bumpy or clicky mx switches - well i am glad those exist and people can enjoy those.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 22:39:28 »

I need definitely an alps board in the future but i am not sure about switches yet as alps is still mystery for me. I tested few alps switches on meetups and i am not really sure on those. Tho alps browns are extreme bump switches and compared to holy pandas then - well holy pandas do smoke nervously in the corner.
Show Image

Note: don't smoke kids its unhealthy.

Anyway I know only that it will be linear alps switch - as alps (as far as i know) was developed as linear switch and i am very strict in this case. I don't like artificial bumps and clicks, which do not contribute anything to the actual switch functionality. If i want bumps - i take Topre keyboard. If i want clicks - i take IBM Model F or beamspring (those are expensive  :'( ). Cherry MX and obviously Alps are only true for me if linear.
Its all subjective matter but i am here more on the historical and technical side. If you like bumpy or clicky mx switches - well i am glad those exist and people can enjoy those.

You and Hiney are Kings for supporting Alps and not having any boards yourselves. Thank you.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 23:54:38 »
Just for clarification. Here you can see all rows of  DCS alps bottoms and DCS mx (row 1 only) bottom next to it. As you can  see each row requires its own bottom mold and a bottom mold from DSA profile would not be compatible with DCS profile - because DSA is uniform across all rows where DCS has 4 different rows and each row has its specific angle.

I believe he is talking about the DSA light cycle Alps keycaps.  It ran in both MX and Alps (I own them both).  The first few runs of Alps caps (Alpine Winter, Light Cycle) had stems that were extremely tight on some Alps switches, especially Matias.  In addition, the stems tore off very easily when trying to remove the keycap because the fit was so tight.  In order to combat this problem, people shaved down the keycap stem on its corners.  It was a pain in the ass, but it worked.  Unfortunately, some of my Light Cycle stems are very loose.  I can lift several caps off without a keycap puller.  I have been this wasn't as much of an issue  on older, original Alps switches. 

DCS Alps throwback used a different stem design from Alpine Winter and Light Cycle. 

You can read about it here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94727.msg2592093#msg2592093

Alps Throwback was made with the 1Z mount instead of the EX mount, resulting in a better fitting stem.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2020, 23:59:53 by pixelpusher »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 00:12:47 »

I believe he is talking about the DSA light cycle Alps keycaps.  It ran in both MX and Alps (I own them both).  The first few runs of Alps caps (Alpine Winter, Light Cycle) had stems that were extremely tight on some Alps switches, especially Matias.  In addition, the stems tore off very easily when trying to remove the keycap because the fit was so tight.  In order to combat this problem, people shaved down the keycap stem on its corners.  It was a pain in the ass, but it worked.  Unfortunately, some of my Light Cycle stems are very loose.  I can lift several caps off without a keycap puller.  I have been this wasn't as much of an issue  on older, original Alps switches. 

DCS Alps throwback used a different stem design from Alpine Winter and Light Cycle. 

Alps Throwback was made with the 1Z mount instead of the EX mount, resulting in a better fitting stem.

Based on following album from the thread you posted: https://imgur.com/a/FI9er

If i understand it right, the 1Z mount stem is little bit shorter than the EX mount. And based on the comparison in this album, if you look from the specific angle the EX stem sticks out beyond of the bottom edge of the keycap where 1Z stem is not visible (from that angle). Anyway if understood it right then it seems like DCS Alps Yuri is using the 1Z mount.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2020, 00:14:33 by T0mb3ry »

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 08:47:49 »

This is indeed what I was referring to. I do have DSA Lightcycle for ALPS and had to shave them even for vintage original ALPS, more precisely orange and blues. As you say it was a hassle and tedious, but I'd rather shave them that break them.

Thanks to both you and T0mb3ry for confirming :D

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 08:51:32 »
Just want to show that the stem is shorter which lets me asume this is the 1Z stem.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2020, 08:56:53 by T0mb3ry »

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 08:54:14 »
Just want to show that the stem is shorter which lets me asume this is the 1Z stem.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk

Yes, that's definitely the shorter, non-tight version. Awesome work as always T0mb3ry!

Offline bujorc

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:51:03 »
On which kind of plates can this Alps set be mounted, any design files available for e.g. custom TKLs?

Offline mode

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:55:55 »
On which kind of plates can this Alps set be mounted, any design files available for e.g. custom TKLs?

I posted some ISO plates earlier in the thread, you could use http://builder.swillkb.com + QCAD to make an ANSI version.

Offline bujorc

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:36:40 »

I posted some ISO plates earlier in the thread, you could use http://builder.swillkb.com + QCAD to make an ANSI version.

Thanks, appreciated! Is it really at the level where no (famous) custom TKL comes with these Alps plates with MX stabs cutouts or at least the design file published?

Then no wonder these -anyway very few- Alps sets struggle to reach MOQ.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:37:04 »

I’m planning to save my set for something nice like the argyle or hiney TKL.  You’ll need alps switch cutouts with Cherry Stabilizer holes.

Offline mode

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:07:17 »

Thanks, appreciated! Is it really at the level where no (famous) custom TKL comes with these Alps plates with MX stabs cutouts or at least the design file published?

Then no wonder these -anyway very few- Alps sets struggle to reach MOQ.

It's really not hard to design your own plate, I can knock one up for filco/YMDK cases if you like. Costar or GMK stabs?
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2020, 14:21:08 by mode »

Offline mode

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 14:20:36 »
I did both in one plate, this'll work fine with the LFK-TKL PCB https://www.lfkeyboards.com/lfk-tkl/ and aliexpress case https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32617566709.html

I've had my plates fabricated by laserboost on 1.5mm brushed steel, that's worked well for me.

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 15:31:47 »
If we are sharing plate files here is my FC660 alps plate that fits with the FC660 aluminum case and Clueboard 66% PCB.

All credit goes to Kiwi on discord for doing the cad work.

Offline mode

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 02:05:59 »
https://drop.com/buy/drop-t0mb3ry-sa-yuri-custom-keycap-set/talk/2619482?utm_source=linkshare&referer=3QUAZA

Looks like it's delayed a bit more to fix some issues, definitely required given how wonky the caps they posted looked!

Offline bujorc

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 16:01:37 »
I did both in one plate, this'll work fine with the LFK-TKL PCB https://www.lfkeyboards.com/lfk-tkl/ and aliexpress case https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32617566709.html

I've had my plates fabricated by laserboost on 1.5mm brushed steel, that's worked well for me.

If we are sharing plate files here is my FC660 alps plate that fits with the FC660 aluminum case and Clueboard 66% PCB.

All credit goes to Kiwi on discord for doing the cad work.

Thank you very much, very helpful! I will look into it, now there is a chance to fully use this Alps set :)

Offline mode

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 09:08:35 »
My order shipped :)

Wonder when the extras will go up.

Offline hamilton

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 11:02:53 »
I got tracking this morning

Offline Amr0d

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 09:43:22 »
Is there a way to join the group buy or buy one of these sets somehow?
Filco MJ2 TKL browns | Race 75% LE reds | Phantom GH Edition soon™

HeatWare

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 12:11:31 »
Is there a way to join the group buy or buy one of these sets somehow?

The only way right now is to wait for sets being shipped to customers and after that try to get them either from mechmarket or drop recap sale.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 23:51:06 »
Mine set is supposed to be here tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 17:05:34 »
244895-0

Ha.  That took me way too long to figure out which keycap goes where.  It's been a long time since I had to look at a photo to get it right.  :thumb:  This is the most accurate I could get for color.  Keep in mind this is natural shaded light.  There is a window to my left and it's 5:00pm.  The desk mat is a cool white and black.  Colors are really nice.  I wish the orange popped more on the dark blue, but overall, the aesthetic is quite lovely.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 June 2020, 17:09:17 by pixelpusher »

Offline blighty

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 19:45:39 »
244918-0

One thing I forgot about is how sharp the space keys are on the thumbs.  I spent a few minutes with a file on the front edges to make them a bit more comfortable.  For some reason i thought SP had molds for convex space keys.  Wishful thinking perhaps?  :)

Thanks for another awesome set!
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 05:42:31 »
(Attachment Link)

Ha.  That took me way too long to figure out which keycap goes where.  It's been a long time since I had to look at a photo to get it right.  :thumb:  This is the most accurate I could get for color.  Keep in mind this is natural shaded light.  There is a window to my left and it's 5:00pm.  The desk mat is a cool white and black.  Colors are really nice.  I wish the orange popped more on the dark blue, but overall, the aesthetic is quite lovely.

As i said before Yuri makes it hard for any camera. You basically has to do manual white balance. My both cameras Fuji and Canon always tried to take alphas as white color...

The OAV color came out here little bit darker than i suspected but its still very distinctive if i look at my board with dual alphas and dual mods. I do think that the symbols will be more pronounced once the set starts to shine (as it supposed to do).

(Attachment Link)

One thing I forgot about is how sharp the space keys are on the thumbs.  I spent a few minutes with a file on the front edges to make them a bit more comfortable.  For some reason i thought SP had molds for convex space keys.  Wishful thinking perhaps?  :)

Thanks for another awesome set!

Yeah, getting new mold for spacebars in these specific sizes is wishful thinking right now. Thing is - you need two different sizes and that would require two new molds which will then rise the price for those spacebars significantly.

Looking at the photo, i do think it would be better to polish those filed out edges and thus remove rough surface left from filing.

Offline mode

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 05:59:51 »
Looking forward to seeing the alps set mounted. Going by past experiences of international shipping from drop I'm not counting on mine showing for another week or two.

Offline blighty

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 09:38:34 »

Yeah, getting new mold for spacebars in these specific sizes is wishful thinking right now. Thing is - you need two different sizes and that would require two new molds which will then rise the price for those spacebars significantly.

Looking at the photo, i do think it would be better to polish those filed out edges and thus remove rough surface left from filing.

I thought about buffing the filed edges, but I'm curious if I will smooth them out through use.  As it stands it the texture isn't noticeable while typing, so I'm not too concerned with it. 
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)