Author Topic: [IC] Lubestone - A corian lube station  (Read 9997 times)

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
[IC] Lubestone - A corian lube station
« on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 13:52:24 »
Lubestone

277931-0

The Lubestone is our first lube station. It is made from Corian, and plays nicely with our standard size Workmat or as an accompaniment to our new Minimat. If you aren't familiar with Corian, it is a solid surface countertop material that mimics stone in its weight and feel. The Lubestone will be dishwasher safe and durable for the foreseeable future.

277933-1

If you aren't familiar with our Workmat products, feel free to check them out on our website. They are hand cast from silicone rubber and are an excellent accessory for the keyboard building and other hobbies.

So. The Lubestone is made from half inch thick Corian material. This material is laser cut and polished to a glossy finish. The American Haptics logo is a pigmented epoxy inlay.

Production

Each Lubestone will be laser cut in our manufacturing facility and hand polished. The beauty of laser cutting is we have quite a bit of flexibility with the layout of the lube station. We can have multiple layouts for multiply workflows and preferences without changing the cost or manufacturing set up. A large part of this Interest Check is to gather enough variations in layout. Yet another variation possible is the color of the Corian. Corian comes in a galaxy of color schemes and treatments. However, we are limited to styles that do not have the very large mineral chunks. When the laser beam hits these stone chips, the beam refracts crazily within the corian material and makes a void, visible on the cut edge of the Lubestone. While some of this is likely unavoidable and acceptable, I believe it should be minimized for quality assurance and consistency.

Layouts

The current layout will be called standard. The interest check form will have a way for you to submit a layout. A handful of layouts will be chosen and become the launch styles available in the website

Colorway

To start, we will offer 2 Colors that cover basically a "light" and "dark" colorway. Corian is a little expensive, and for ever color that we add, we will need to pre sell about 20 Lubestones to cover the cost of investing in an entire sheet of Corian and having it cut to laserable sizes. The two available colors will be

Deep Anthracite
277935-2

Sparkling Granita
277937-3

The Sparkling Granita color is what our current prototype is made from. Gallery Below

277939-4
277941-5
277943-6
277945-7
277947-8

Timeline
[/size]

We can concievably begin production as soon as about 40 units are presold. Production, finishing, and packaging are basically already figured out. At the very latest, we want to begin fulfilling by Dec 1st in hopes of getting people their Lubestones by the holiday season. Presale will go live in our store probably in about 2 weeks. The Google form will collect your email address, and you should get a purchase link within 2 weeks via email campaign.

Pricing and MOQ

MOQ is 40
Preorder pricepoint is $50 US
Post Preorer pricepoint could be $55 US

Region

We can ship anywhere but shipping these days is outright abusive. Continental US is what we mostly serve, but are VERY INTERESTED in retailers in any and all regions.

Best way to reach us is on our Discord, which is linked above. We respond very regularly there and look forward to meeting you and talking to you. A huge thanks in advance for your precious time and input, and another thanks again for your support in our previous pre order of the Workmat. <3
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 November 2021, 14:16:27 by Old_Gold_Hand »
Love yall

Offline ZavaZ86

Re: [IC] Lubestone - A corian lube station
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 14:50:30 »
Where is the Shungite version?

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 14:57:16 »
Where is the Shungite version?

as an industrial designer obsessed with materials, why do you do this to me?
Love yall

Offline kylekwong1

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 04:05:38 »
I never see the point of having spring slots

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 04:34:04 »
yikes
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 04:37:12 »
yeah it's wayy to tedious and i bag lube my springs anyway

Offline VXQN

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 05:18:05 »

Surely those are stem slots?

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 07:40:34 »

Surely those are stem slots?

they were intended to be stem slots. The feedback we have gotten is leading us to another layout which I think will be better. instead of individual squares just doing rows and replacing the stem holes with rows as well. this should let you fit 60 switches on the thing as well.

Thanks so far and keepem coming
Love yall

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 02:56:54 »
Super interesting project! Will be watching with great interest

Offline Totoro

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 03:31:50 »
good!

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 09:19:49 »
278046-0

After receiving some feedback from the community, we have come up with a new layout. Same size but should hold about 60 switches. Will be lasering out a prototype today or tomorrow. Thanks again for all the feedback and keep it coming!
Love yall

Offline Old_Gold_Hand

• American Haptics
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 08:22:05 »
Ordering some of the Dark Corian soon, going to have prototype pictures asap! Thanks again for all the response keep it coming. We might be able to drop price as well, I am working with my Corian guy.
Love yall