Author Topic: Relaxing colors for a keyboard  (Read 9838 times)

Offline Giorgio

Relaxing colors for a keyboard
« on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 04:25:46 »
As many of you know, surgeons use green coats because that color is complementary to red, eliminating problems of double vision and ghosting effect: "green may be especially well-suited to help doctors see better in the operating room Because it is the opposite of red on the color wheel." http://scienceline.org/2008/09/ask-locke-greenbluescrubs/

For us mortals, busy all day looking at the white pages of books and notepads, which may be the right color? I always had white and beige keyboards, gray at best.
A black keyboard, or colored, can be annoying? Can it stress your eyes?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Relaxing colors for a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 05:46:30 »
As many of you know, surgeons use green coats because that color is complementary to red, eliminating problems of double vision and ghosting effect: "green may be especially well-suited to help doctors see better in the operating room Because it is the opposite of red on the color wheel." http://scienceline.org/2008/09/ask-locke-greenbluescrubs/

For us mortals, busy all day looking at the white pages of books and notepads, which may be the right color? I always had white and beige keyboards, gray at best.

Most people don't spend much time staring at the board, especially this who use mechanical keyboards, so I don't think it really matters too much. High contrast legends can be more of a factor than overall board color, IMHO.

This is coming from someone who changes their keycaps regularly and is always buying new ones :)

Penumbra (with Solarized alphas) has remained the longest on a board out of all my sets, if that says anything. It's designed to be less straining on the eyes, but I just love the colors and feel of the set, I can't say that eye strain has been a factor in that.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 06:20:06 »
I don't stare at the keyboard directly for typing,  but it is always in the middle of my field of vision, since I have books in front of it and I write on the left of it.

Offline tofu28

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 12:41:06 »
I think the difference is negligible. If the keyboard matches the color of its surroundings, it shouldn't stand out much as a distraction in your periphery.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 14:15:53 »
I think the difference is negligible. If the keyboard matches the color of its surroundings, it shouldn't stand out much as a distraction in your periphery.

So my table is whitish, like my papers and books. Should I stay with light colors? That's what I always did, I haven't owned a black keyboard on ten years... I wonder if the white and black contrast is annoying.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 14:39:36 »
I think earth colours can be soothing. Beige and brown - don't care about yellowing, can't see the dirt on it, does not stick out, low saturated colours.

Offline tofu28

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 17:46:43 »

So my table is whitish, like my papers and books. Should I stay with light colors? That's what I always did, I haven't owned a black keyboard on ten years... I wonder if the white and black contrast is annoying.

Yeah, I think light colors would work best, but it's all up to personal preference. I think colors that are the same as their environment are less likely to become a distraction.

Offline MyBoolean

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:23:17 »

Most people don't spend much time staring at the board, especially this who use mechanical keyboards, so I don't think it really matters too much. High contrast legends can be more of a factor than overall board color, IMHO.

This is coming from someone who changes their keycaps regularly and is always buying new ones :)

Penumbra (with Solarized alphas) has remained the longest on a board out of all my sets, if that says anything. It's designed to be less straining on the eyes, but I just love the colors and feel of the set, I can't say that eye strain has been a factor in that.

somehow i agree with this. hahaha. i stare at my keyboard when its dirty and urge me to clean it. :D

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 19:06:54 »
The only thing I find slightly distracting color-wise is back lighting.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 16:22:25 »
I find latte brown and turquoise to be very relaxing shades.

Offline Kola93

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:02:24 »
Beige was prominent in the 90s for computer hardware due to being a neutral and calm colour.

Hopefully it makes a comeback in the near future, but I highly doubt it! ^-^

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:19:31 »
I
Beige was prominent in the 90s for computer hardware due to being a neutral and calm colour.

Hopefully it makes a comeback in the near future, but I highly doubt it! ^-^

That's exactly my geek back background :-)

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:06:25 »
I'd say any cool or neutral color should be fine. A doctor's scurbs take up a lot more of your vision when being treated than your keyboard lighting will during your day, so I don't think it's a big matter. I do prefer more neutral and relaxed keycaps though.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:41:28 »
I don't really look at my board too often whist typing but I do really like my white caps. I thinks a soft green is the most relaxing color.

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:49:01 »
I've heard this before and it reinforces why I enjoy green so much  ;). Anyway, I tend to choose keycap colors/designs based on what is aesthetically appealing to me. Like everyone has been saying, we don't tend to stare at our boards too often while working. In my situation I often have a large amount of stress involved with the work I do in front of my work computer. My thoughts are that it I have a board which triggers happy thoughts when I see it, it can only help to eliminate some of the unhappy/stressful/negative thoughts associated with the work I'm doing while sitting in front of the computer. That's one of my excuses for this hobby anyway  ^-^

Offline sitch

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:08:30 »
Unless you're a see typist, you don't usually pay much attention when you type. The only moment I look at the keyboard is when I'm admiring how beautiful it is

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:08:28 »
Unless you're a see typist, you don't usually pay much attention when you type. The only moment I look at the keyboard is when I'm admiring how beautiful it is

But I always write at the left of the keyboard, or read papers in front of it, so it is anyway in my field of vision...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:04:51 »
I think it's important to have something that will not envoke any agitation if you want to remain calm.  Something that triggers happy thoughts is always good, and if changing to a different color might do that, then that's the ticket.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:06:50 »
What about the traditional beige, isn't it relaxing?

Offline Frizer

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 12:06:13 »
Legible legends
Matt plate
Diffused backlighting
Off white desktop underneath.

Offline shibataken

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:30:32 »
I am a fan of darker colors at night/winter and brighter colors during the day/summer.  So a nice dark brown color that won't catch the corner of my eye is a lot easier to use at night or on dreary days when typing some emails or just browsing.  Brighter colors that look great in the sunshine like orange for example I use during the day/summer :D