geekhack Marketplace > Great Finds

Seen on eBay - Alps keyboard with built-in trackpad

(1/4) > >>

doctorpiorno:
I was looking into some external trackpad auctions on eBay when I came across something pretty interesting: someone appears to be selling an Alps keyboard with a built-in trackpad. From the looks of it, it also seems to feature an IBM M15-like ĢErase-Eazeģ split spacebar. I'm not at all familiar with this model, but it might be an interesting purchase if it does indeed have Alps keyswitches.

I guess I'll be skipping this one (the shipping fees to Japan would kill me, plus those new RealForces don't buy themselves) but I thought I'd post a link here in case someone wants to give the auction a try and report back with a review. For what it's worth, I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way.

Cheerses!

Fran

sashomasho:

--- Quote from: doctorpiorno;6256 ---
I guess I'll be skipping this one (the shipping fees to Japan would kill me, plus those new RealForces don't buy themselves)

--- End quote ---

Do you have any news about the new RealForce? Compared to the new spacesaver filco - I'd take the RealForce, but I don't really believe this will be available any time soon :(

xsphat:
Ditto, I prefer Topre switches to anything I've tried by Cherry.

xyzzy:

--- Quote from: doctorpiorno;6256 ---I was looking into some external trackpad auctions on eBay when I came across something pretty interesting: someone appears to be selling an Alps keyboard with a built-in trackpad. From the looks of it, it also seems to feature an IBM M15-like ĢErase-Eazeģ split spacebar. I'm not at all familiar with this model, but it might be an interesting purchase if it does indeed have Alps keyswitches.
--- End quote ---
It may indeed use the Alps keyswitches, as stated in what I believe is the press release of that keyboard (can't be 100% sure as there's no photo though):
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1996_July_1/ai_18491572

But it's also probably an ADB keyboard, so you may need to use an ADB->USB converter like the Griffin iMate and could have problems recognizing the special "erase-eaze" key or the three mouse buttons (they will all likely be recognized as standard left mouse buttons).

Here's an old discussion about the driver problem with this keyboard:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc/browse_thread/thread/9579a73489c000a9/723a36badf00dd58?hl=en&lnk=st

doctorpiorno:

--- Quote from: sashomasho;6257 ---Do you have any news about the new RealForce? Compared to the new spacesaver filco - I'd take the RealForce, but I don't really believe this will be available any time soon :(
--- End quote ---

If by "new Realforce" you mean the RealForce 86 that surfaced in that Korean shop a while ago, it doesn't seem like that one is coming to Japan anytime soon. Everyone here seems pretty happy with the RealForce 89, which is quite understandable considering they actually have an use for all them funny Japanese-specific keys. ;)

I'm seriously thinking about getting the RealForce 89, though, kana keys and all. I've been fondling one at the shop and the key action is really nice and smooth - pretty much the same as the HHKB Pro, albeit maybe a bit lighter. And now they're selling a replacement metal case for it which looks absolutely gorgeous. The only problem is that we're looking at something like 300$ for the whole enchilada, and even I am having trouble justifying that sort of price to myself. :(

I had a look at the Filcos, too, but it doesn't seem like Cherrys do much for me. I'd much rather have a chunky old buckling spring monster, or one of them soft and smooth Topres. I have only tried Cherry blacks and browns, though, not the blues, so I'll reserve judgment for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version