Author Topic: Make an USB Hub using HS8836A  (Read 11700 times)

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
Make an USB Hub using HS8836A
« on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 06:26:22 »
Hello!
I have a plan of making an usb hub with integrated macro pad by using HS8836A chip.
I bought the chip https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32856126726.html and wired the board using the diagram in the product page.

the only difference is that I use USB-C instead of USB-MiniB.

after I have soldered necessary components for the hub and plug the board in, I got error "USB not recognized", I go to Device Manager to check the driver and it say "Unknown USB (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I wonder what went wrong, anyone know what could have caused this error? maybe I need some specific driver for this chip in Windows 10?  :mad:
I used a multimeter to check for short-circuits but there is none so far.

thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 June 2021, 06:29:22 by Tom_Kazansky »

Offline user2021

Re: Make an USB Hub using HS8836A
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 17:41:21 »
Can you share the PCB?
I guess you have a 2 layer board while ignoring impedance which is only fine/valid for short traces.

Offline piit79

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 08:45:05 »
You say you used USB-C instead of USB Mini. Did you add the necessary 5.1k resistors between CC1/CC2 and ground? Although, it should still work even without them when connected to USB 2.0.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 07:00:55 »
You say you used USB-C instead of USB Mini. Did you add the necessary 5.1k resistors between CC1/CC2 and ground? Although, it should still work even without them when connected to USB 2.0.

I did add the 5.1k resistors to CC lines.

I got the error "USB not recognized" when I plugged my board to USB 2.0 port,
there is no responses if I plug my board to USB 3.1 port.

I'm a bit skeptical about the V3.3, I did connect v3.3 (pin 14) to DCP (pin 12) with some capacitors around that line, is that right or did I misunderstand the diagram?  :(

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 09:15:32 »
i am not sure, but i do not think usb A to C cables have 3.3v so that may be part of the problem, when i checked last time most usb hub chips have their internal 3.3v regulators and exposes it for if you want to use an external one and decoupling and reading a bit about yours it looks to be the case with it too, this 3.3V does not need to be connected anywhere on the usb port, well as far as i know, i found 2 datasheets in Chinese, one toshiba transistor datasheet and a few projects using it, and only putting decoupling on the 3.3V and DCP.
although have you swapped D- and D+? if you did then there would be no communication in USB2.0 but i think USB3 is tolerant to them being swapped, or i may have understood that part wrong. it happens.
and yeah having schematics or board layout would allow to make better guesses, we are a bit blind right now
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 21:07:35 »
Not recognized is almost always in my experience a sign that you swapped the two data lines like Yui said.

The Type C resistors  are (there are two) "usually* only an issue if connecting to a native Type-C host device and port such as a Macbook, if it plugs into a Type-A you won't need it, just be sure it doesn't draw too much power and melt the connector, which if it draws power and data it should not be capable of doing due to power management. There's no sense in running 3.3v to that connector in order to use the resistors it's a 2.0 hub, it will not have any use for it other than to confuse the secondary system. If you're using it on the side that connects to the computer itself, you should NOT be connecting 3.3 to that as that power should come from the host system, not the secondary system.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion